What was your favorite MMORPG, and why?

F

frostydf2

I hope this hasn't been posted yet, but what is your favorite MMORPG?

Lineage 2 was one of my favorites, it was insanely fun. I played with one of my friends (chaotic), and we always tried to be higher level then the other. It was fun to duo with another player, and the instances were a blast!

Final Fantasy XI. And I still love it. Planning to go back to it very soon. And trying to get into Lineage 2 if I can just find a good server!!! :angry:

DAoC. Really liked the original RvR concept, met some really good people there. And went for being a relative PvP n00b to being in one of the best gank groups on the server by the time I quit. What was really cool is when I reactivated my account like a year later, and not 5 seconds after I logged on, one of the top 2 (RR9 L9) healers on the server shot me a tell asking if I wanted to RvR. I have a HUGE amount of respect for that guy, and to think he thought that much of my playing was freakin cool.

DAoC. The community (minus the VN Boards) were great and fun. The RvR was cool, though I played on the PvE server primarily. The keep raids, dragon raids, dungeon raids, it was all fun and cool. Some of the least used dungeons were some of the most awesome looking (Galladoria & Fomor). They're most recent expansions greatly improved graphics and mainland content. They're biggest failure imo was Trials of Atlantis content, but they recovered fairly well from it.

Currently they're revamping the mainlands to allow swimming underwater (already possible in ToA and other areas, just not classic areas, yet), and redoing many of the older classes to keep up with the newer classes that have been introduced.

Overall, Mythic has done excellent at keeping me entertained for 4 years with Dark Age of Camelot. Those who have not experience all their servers (RvR, Classic and PvE) don't know what they're missing. It is a 1st generation MMO that is still kicking... Even EQ1 is on its way out faster than DAoC (mostly due to EQ2 in some regards).

~ Jaraeth

Pre-Combat Upgrade Star Wars: Galaxies. The sheer size and diversity was astounding. I remember one time taking my speederbike and driving all the way around Naboo to see if I could. Man, that was fun. The character creation is probably the best on the market right now. Though Coh/cov have more clothing customization, SWG has incredible physical features customization. And even though you couldn't customize clothes, there were so many it was rare to see two characters with the same clothes (Armor excluded, but people usually only wore armor when buffed). Flying around in a spaceship was also fun. Especially the special ship you got that basically was a portable house. There was one circular room and I placed a bunch of ship parts and other furniture to make it look like Vader's chamber. It actually turned out good, but I never got around to taking a screenshot.

The original Everquest. :smiley:

Most likely the reason I liked it best was that it was my first mmorpg. But there were other reasons.

I loved the world and the music. Some of the songs in that game haunt me still. I loved the fact that there was so much to do. There is a TON of content in Everquest - more than almost the next three mmorpgs combined (of course 11 or so expansions will do that lol). I liked that it was challenging (although in many cases they went too far, and sometimes they went waaaaaaaay too far). I could list 50 other things. I was an awesome game.

Of course, i could also list 200 things about it that sucked lol.

Meridian 59 holds a special place in my heart.

The Internet was just a couple years old, and Meridian 59 was the first to use a 3D engine to bring me into the game.

I never stayed with it, but I knew when I played it that the future of RPG gaming would never be the same again.

Hey there. Long time Lurker, first time poster.

I've been an off and on Gemstone player from back in the AOL days till about 4 or 5 months ago. Since I can no longer post on the Simu HJ boards I am here to annoy you folks till this game appears.

To answer the question, however, my favorite has always been GS (when I could afford the subscription). I would have enjoyed WOW a bit more if some of the rules for RP servers had actually been enforced at all. And to echo another poster, Lineage II is fairly far up the list.

Probably Ultima Online seeing that it was my first MMORPG and I had the most fun in it. None of the other MMOG's I have played have really interested me as much as UO did.

I don't know if anyone has noticed yet, but almost everyones favorite has been their first. I guess it was that first 'magical' experiance. Lucky to those who are about to fall in love with Hero's Journey as their first MMORPG I guess.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think alot of it has to do with that first game was a clean slate. Nothing was expected, and everything was "new". AFter that while you were probably alot mroe educated of what you liked and didnt like, recaptureing that feeling of wonder you had in the first was hard to do. I was a little different in that it was my 3rd MMO I played that I really found myself as a online gamer.

Then eventually you get to be a crotchety old fart like me after playing a dozen of them, beta testing twice that many and still not finding anything that has everything you like.

I was intro'd to DAoC first, but I stuck with it for about 2 days. At that time I think it was the Percival server or something. Then I went to Shadowbane.

Shadowbane was my favorite for a very long time, until probably 2 years ago. Playing a healer most of the time, I liked how the casting animations and especially the sound effects were. Their casters had sound effects that sounded a bit like real chanting. Of course, 4 years later, it's not quite as realistic ... but I still like it better than DAoC's casting sounds and animations.

<has his Necromancer cast his pet... hears sounds for 5 seconds, and silence for another 25 seconds at which point the pet is finally cast>

BTW: Necromancers are the PvE farmers of DAoC B)

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by frostydf2@May 29 2006, 11:20 PM
I don't know if anyone has noticed yet, but almost everyones favorite has been their first. I guess it was that first 'magical' experiance. Lucky to those who are about to fall in love with Hero's Journey as their first MMORPG I guess.
Yep, it was the first game I played that was on such a massive scale. I remember seeing an ad for UO in a magazine and thinking, wow I have to try this game out. It just amazed me how you could get thousands of people playing the same game together.

Also there was a sense of fear in UO that I really liked. Always kept you on your toes, and you had to watch your back or you could get your stuff stolen by another player or even killed by one. I felt so good one time when I drove away a PKer on a horse with a black robe and heavy crossbow, who came out of nowhere and tried to kill me. Made friendships that much more important. That was back in like 1997 when there was just one world, not two separate pk and non-pk ones. Most MMORPGS these days seem kinda stale compared to that. You get bored easy.

cant say I ever got into one. I played GS for 10 yrs and now I am playing DDO. We took the dragon down last night. I have some screen shots Iwould like to show off of the guild. Very active. We have a min of 25 people on in the evenings and we get raids together. Olny issue is there are only 2 raids. People are reading about HJ and they are asking me questions. I will be adding a fourm area to Eutopia's guild site.

Zyllian

Back