What's really going on?

Hi,

Firstly, I'd like to say that this is my very first message on these boards or any other 'Alias' message board. I've been reading these plus the SD-1 and tv.com boards for quite some time and to be honest, I'm almost ready to through in the towel due to all the negativity that I see.

Alias has been part of my life for 4 years now. I love everything about it. I love it so much that I'm slightly embarrased to say that these characters have become a big part of my life and I'll be extremely upset when it's time to say goodbye. Judging from what I've been hearing, that will be in May of next year. Which leads me to the point of this message. I'm slightly confused ...

I know this question has probably been asked a trillion times but why has ABC lost all faith in Alias? In season 4 the ratings were fantastic. So much so that the first episode managed to scrape into the top 20 for the week. I know everyone talks about the 'Lost' lead-in but even when the viewership averaged out, 'Alias' was still doing very well. Firstly, why move the show to Thursday nights at 8? ABC says they were trying to pick up their programming on that night. Fair enough, but then why not advertise or promote it in any way? Being that I live in Australia, I can only go by what I read on these boards and the general consensus seems to be that ABC are doing nothing.

How and why did this really happen? I find it hard to believe that a network would take a program that was working well (and I mean ratings, not storylines) and systematically go about destroying it. Is it really the network, or is it the actors who want out? Is it the producers, is it the writers??? Why isn't JJ doing something? Even though he has other projects going on, is he really ready to say goodbye to 'Alias'?

I'm trying my best not to read any ratings threads anymore because it's making me thoroughly depressed to see such a big part of my life treated in this way. Hey, I know it's just a tv show but to me it's so much more. When I went through a break-up a couple of years ago, I'd watch Syd in Season 1 dealing with the loss of Danny from week to week and I'd feel like I wasn't going through it alone. I made cd's with all the music from the show. Music that had been so expertly chosen that it helped to convey the emotion of the characters so much more. The writing was great, the acting was superb. I couldn't fault it. To me 'Alias' was always about the interaction between the characters. The missions were just something extra.

Yes, I think the show is not what it once was but I'm not ready to give up on it and jump ship like so many other people, just because one character is no longer there from week to week. 'Alias' means more to me than that. I may cop some flack for saying this but is there anyone else out there who agrees with me?

If there is, surely there must be something we can do.

Brett

I completely agree. ABC hasn't been very fair to Alias at all this season. Very few promo's, no character promo photos (besides the ones of the new castmembers), a weird timeslot. A lot of people are saying this will be the last season. As much as I would like a sixth season, I also want Alias to end on a strong note, so I don't know how I feel about the prospect of the series finale being in May. I try not to dwell on the ratings anymore. I just hope ABC gives it a little more faith, and then maybe things will start looking up.

Some say that "Alias" may have fared better on cable TV. It's the kind of show that makes for a good cult show, and those usually do better on cable. It's too bad that "Alias" just doesn't seem to be getting the network support it needs to be successful. Most believe that this will be the last season. I will miss the fine acting from Victor Garber, Ron Rifkin, and Carl Lumbly; Marshall's goofiness and his gadgets; Syd's outrageous outfits and wigs; Jack's one-liners; and Irina's air of mystery. But until then, we still have the rest of season 5, and so far so good on that.

Back