What's wrong with the movies?

V

verdantheart

All summer long we've heard from movie chains and movie fans ... why people aren't going to the movie theater as much (high prices/rude patrons/creeping ads), why ads aren't so bad and ticket prices are up ... the passing of the buck to the movie studios ...

Here's the latest from the imdb:

What's Gone Wrong with Hollywood?
Universal Pictures distribution chief Nikki Rocco says the studio is going "back to the drawing board" following the box-office failure of the critically praised Cinderella Man. In an interview with USA Today, Rocco remarked, "Good movies are supposed to buck this [downward] trend. You hear how it's all about the product, but we have an excellent movie that people just aren't turning out for. [The problem is] something bigger." Meanwhile, New York Times media writer David Carr has blamed this year's slump at the box office on a tectonic shift in the industry that has increasingly seen filmmaking focused on "the wants and needs of 17-year-old boys on any given Saturday night." In a feature article appearing today (Monday), the day after the critically reviled Dukes of Hazzard posted a $30-million opening at the box office, largely by attracting male teenagers, Carr wrote that he had interviewed several studio directors who declined to speak on the record but who "sounded less like masters of the universe than prisoners of the current paradigm." In the article, Carr quoted David Thomson, author of The Whole Equation, A History of Hollywood, as saying, "In the same way that audiences have lost their taste for film, filmmakers have lost their passion. ... It is not surprising that some of the moguls are giving up as well. They are as depressed and tired of the business as the rest of us." Carr concluded: "The people who built the current version of Hollywood did so by coming up with movies that people felt compelled to see -- not as a matter of marketing, but as a matter of taste. What was once magic, creating other worlds in darkened rooms, has become just one more revenue stream."
Wondered if anyone wanted to discuss. ;)
✌️

Movies prices are getting out of sight. I can't remember that last time I went to an evening showing, rather I went early to get the somewhat discount of seeing the movie before 6:00 pm.

It's a mixture of the prices and extreme lack of quality, mostly, imo, due to the lack of good writers. It's not that they're not out there; it's that it's too difficult for them to "make it" in Hollywood in this age of sequels and the replacement of talent with 'celebrity' in importance there.

Also, the annoying people in theaters who seem to think they're all by themselves and can talk as loudly as they want.

Let's see, the prices get higher and higher. There are some movies that you should see on the big screen - Lord of the Rings, Star Wars...but there are alot of movies that I think - it doesn't matter if I see it in the theater or rent it.

Now a days the big trend in movies is making movies of TV shows. That tell me they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel. I'm sorry my idea of a good movie is not the Dukes of Hazard (I never even liked the TV show) There is no way I will spend my money of that type of movie. I would much rather watch my reruns of Alias in the comfort of my own home.

hotpot said:
Movies prices are getting out of sight. I can't remember that last time I went to an evening showing, rather I went early to get the somewhat discount of seeing the movie before 6:00 pm.
[post="1448550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I've always seen movies on my own as matinees because I just won't tolerate these high movie prices for night showings. It's ridiculous and don't get me started on the concession stand prices. When I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (in IMAX format) at the Edwards theatre in Ontario,CA I got a medium Pibb Xtra drink for $4. It's $3 cheaper at a fast food restaurant for crying out loud!

I do still go to the cinema but only to the Prince Charles in London... which is so much cheaper than anywhere else...

however to be cheap you have to see an older film... for example Sideways is playing there now.

It's $9.50 for theater tickets now. Can't afford it. Can't really afford the $8 for a matinee either.

Plus, people talk loud and kick your chair and are just generally rude.

With movies coming out onto dvd quicker and Netflix, I'd rather just wait and watch the movie in the comfort of my own place. Then I can pause it whenever I want, rewind, etc.

I couldn't believe it, the other night went to the movies around 10 pm. There were hardly any people in the theaters, but there was one young mother (and friend) with a 2 or 3 year old little boy. They let him run around the theater during the whole movie. I couldn't believe it! They want to charge us all this money to see the movie, then they don't enforce decent behavior.

Thanks for letting me rant....I got it off my chest now...bye

Existentialist said:
It's $9.50 for theater tickets now. Can't afford it. Can't really afford the $8 for a matinee either.

Plus, people talk loud and kick your chair and are just generally rude.

With movies coming out onto dvd quicker and Netflix, I'd rather just wait and watch the movie in the comfort of my own place. Then I can pause it whenever I want, rewind, etc.
[post="1477291"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
here its $8.75 :blink:

ConcreteGirl said:
I couldn't believe it, the other night  went to the movies around 10 pm.  There were hardly any people in the theaters, but there was one young mother (and friend) with a 2 or 3 year old little boy.  They let him run around the theater during the whole movie.  I couldn't believe it!  They want to charge us all this money to see the movie, then they don't enforce decent behavior.

Thanks for letting me rant....I got it off my chest now...bye
[post="1478785"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
That happened to me the first time I saw Moulin Rouge in the theater. Same situation, except it was an earlier show. -_- *tsk*

Wow, it's so much more expensive everywhere else! I think adult matinee is 6.25 (dunno about regular showings because I don't go to them).

The high prices do play a big part in it.

But to me, it's the fact that Hollywood producers have realized that they don't care whether the movie is good or not, just as long as it makes money.

If the worst movie in the ENTIRE history of film makes $100 million, nobody would say anything.

So they're trying to target audiences with funny lines, popular celebrities, and well-known ideas.

Most teens don't want to go see a "Million Dollar Baby" or a "Cinderella Man". They want to see "American Pie" and "The Dukes of Hazzard" and "The Transporter 2".

It's a matter of the audience. I think that recently, teens are gobbling up ticket prices to see lame comedies and mindless action movies. They're not gonna pony up the dough to see an Oscar contender. They want sex, drugs, and violence.

(End rant of society these days)

The money does factor in, but if you really want to see a particular movie you'll hand over the money to see it. There's no 'blockbuster' movies anymore. Half the time they cant even justify why they exsist.

Take Stealth for example. Did they throw bags of money at Jamie Foxx, or did he "believe in the script?" just because you have Jamie Foxx doesnt mean people will rush to see it, although it probably does actually.

I hear everyone saying they're sick of superhero movies, but are we all just as sick of comedy remakes? Bewicthed, Dukes of Hazard, Willy Wonka and now I hear they're remaking I dream of Jeanie....why would you? Im sure like Jamie Foxx, she really felt strongly when she read the script. There formula movies, like a Will Ferrel movie, or a Ben Stiller movie or an Adam Sandler movie. You know the basic outline, and you'd rather wait and rent it for 2 bucks instead of paying to see it with a bunch of snot nose kids at the multiplex.

If a movies central focus is on the actor, or the effects, it doesnt really need to exsist. The writing has gotten to the point where to cover their shortcomings we're being thrust the same old actor, or some dazzling effects or some t&a. these things should compliment the movies with the focus on a story that NEEDS to be told....well I think I covered what I wanted to say, sorry for the bad spelling....Im somewhat tired....

^ So maybe the problem is IDIOTIC agents and/or actors? Coz who would "believe in" these godawful scripts/stories/characters?!?! :puke: Honestly...

It's disgusting the stupid formulaic felgercarb that Hollywood has been putting out for decades now. I think it's at its worst point right now. I anticipate (or maybe just hope for with all my might) a change coming, during which stupidity will be more taboo and "intelligence" (whether it actually is or not will remain to be seen :rolleyes:) and message-driven films will again come to the forefront. At least, that is what I fervently wish for.

And to be more specific, this has GOT to occur in the writing arena. Stories, both plot-wise and in terms of script, MUST improve. Good writers MUST be given jobs again. Producers have to stop churning out felgercarb because it's cheaper and fulfills a lowest common denominator of attributes that constitute a "blockbuster."

Of course, the pursuit of money/profit is primarily to blame. IMO anyway. -_-

Back