White Roses

I got a feeling it will get to this. It's an only way for happy ending for this story. Very romantic . And being a sap i love it. I cried but still love it :smiley:
Seriously AMAZING CHAPTER (y) (y) (y)

kind of a weird story... i mean it's very original, but i love it! (y) :D

Yes, well I am a weird person, lol :D .

This is the last part, and I'm sad to see it go but I'm also happy with the way it turned out. I hope you guys enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing it. Okay, here's the last part. Please read and reply!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Part 4

I rubbed tiny circles on her small, milky white hands. The edges of her mouth curled into a slight smile. I looked over at Sydney who had tears in her eyes.

“She's perfect,” she whispered.

I looked down at our granddaughter as her tiny chest rose and fell with each precious breath she took.

“She is, isn’t she?” I said, as I looked down at Holly with a look of pride like no other.

This was Sydney’s first time ever seeing her granddaughter and I knew it meant the world to her, so I sat quietly simply watching. Sydney lowered her head down on to the bed so that their faces were pressed up against one another’s. Their hair was an identical shade of brown that mixed together perfectly on Holly’s Little Mermaid pillow. Holly unconsciously moved her hand to rest on top of Sydney’s transparent one. Sydney stroked the side of her granddaughter’s head with a smile I had only seen when she was with Audrey.

“Grandma loves you, little girl,” she whispered. I walked over to the other side of the bed and kneeled down beside Sydney and grabbed both their hands.

“And so does your Grandpa, Holly. You be a good girl, okay? Listen to your Mommy and don’t drive her too crazy as you get older. I’m not going to be able to be here for your mommy anymore so I want you to watch over her now for me.”

Holly didn’t move, but I cold have sworn I heard her say something in return.

Sydney slowly detached herself from Holly and looked towards Holly’s furry, pink clock.

“Vaughn, we have to go.” I nodded, knowing that at any given moment Holly could be awakening on this Christmas morning.

We walked down the stairs and could hear two voices coming from the living room. We were both immediately drawn there, hearing the pain in our daughter’s voice.

“What are we going to tell Holly? What if she doesn’t understand?”

“We’ll tell her the truth. Grandpa’s gone,” Dave said, stroking Audrey’s hand, trying to comfort her. Audrey distantly stared off into space, ignoring the world around her. She absent mindedly stroked the side of her warm coffee mug. Dave didn’t speak. I watched as Sydney approached Audrey. She sat down on the opposite side of her.

“Audrey,” she whispered, almost as if that one single word caused her unimaginable pain. Audrey didn’t respond, but looked right through her mother and focused on a tiny speck on the wall.

“Audrey, it’s me.” Sydney knew very well that Audrey couldn’t hear her.

“Audrey, it’s Mom!”

“Sydney…” I said, approaching the two of them, concerned. Sydney held up her hand, indicating for me to stop. I did.

“Audrey, don’t act like this. Be strong for your daughter. She needs you right now.”

I watched in amazement as Audrey lifted her head and hastily dried the tears from her cheeks. She looked past Sydney, not aware that she was actually there.

“We’ll tell her after she’s opened all of her gifts. There’s no point in ruining her Christmas.”

Dave nodded.

“We’ll tell her Dad was tired and didn’t feel well, that’s why he’s not here.”

Again Dave nodded in agreement.

Audrey looked down at her watch, and at the exact moment the tiny sound of feet smacking against the floor and the slamming of a door could be heard.

“Mommy, Daddy!” a tiny voice yelled loudly in the distance.

“Well good thing we weren’t sleeping,” Audrey said with a laugh.

Dave grinned at how loud and rambunctious his daughter was. “Down here, Sweetie!”

“Daddy!” Holly called out in response to her father.

“You okay?” Dave asked Audrey, before Holly joined them in the room. Audrey nodded with a smile. She wasn’t going to ruin this special day for her daughter.

Audrey came running into the room at full speed. Her hair was a tangled mess and her nightgown was falling off her one shoulder, but she looked adorably cute. She ran straight for the large Christmas tree.

“It’s Christmas!” she yelled, throwing herself down onto the floor with the mound of Christmas gifts.

Sydney and I exchanged knowing glances, both seeing the similarity between Holly and Sydney. Holly looked expectantly around the room.

“Where’s Grandpa?” she asked, scanning the room for me.

“Right here,” I whispered, although she couldn’t hear me. Sydney glanced over at me sympathetically.

“Grandpa’s feeling sick, honey, so he told us to go ahead without him,” Audrey said with a forced smile, but Holy being the optimistic child she was accepted Audrey’s lie.

The threesome passed around presents to one another for the next hour, while Sydney and I sat among them trying to enjoy our last Christmas morning with our family. They had a large Christmas breakfast with eggs and bacon, but still didn’t mention anything to Holly, not wanting to be the ones to pop her bubble of happiness. As soon as Holly was finished she dropped her fork with a clatter and attempted to run off and play with her brand new toys, but Dave caught her around the waist before she could escape.

“Daddy, what are you doing,” she giggled.

Dave smiled slightly, but knowing he was going to pull out his daughter’s heart, he was quiet.

“Holly, Mommy and Daddy have something very important to tell you.” Holly looked between her two parents with confusion, noticing their grave expressions. She sat down in the chair and stayed completely still.

“What is it?” she asked, innocently.

I drew in a sharp intake of breathe. I was dreading this moment with all of my heart.

Audrey walked over from the sink and placed Holly in her lap. Holly turned around so she was looking her mother in the eye. She reached up and with her childlike hands brushed away the salty tears rolling down Audrey’s face.

“Mommy, why are you crying? What’s wrong?”

“Honey, something bad has happened,” Audrey started, trying to use simple terms so Holly could understand. “Grandpa went to go visit Grandma Sydney.”

I felt Sydney grab my hand, but I focused all my attention on the tiny, broken girl before me.

“But Grandma Sydney is dead…”Holy said, obviously not understanding. Neither Dave nor Audrey knew what to say in response. Holly’s eyes filled with tears. She jumped down from her mother’s lap.
“Grandpa, Grandpa! Where are you?” she cried, running as fast as her little legs could carry her. She flew into the guest room. I ran with her.

“Grandpa, this is not funny!” she yelled stomping her foot against the ground in a full out tantrum.

“Holly, I’m here!”

Audrey, Dave and Sydney came up behind us. Both Dave and Sydney left their daughter the way she was. She needed to come to terms with this by herself.

I bent down, and grabbed Holly’s shoulders.

“Holly, stop it!” I said sternly. Without thinking she did. I looked at her in surprise, not expecting her to respond. She fell to the ground and crossed her legs.

“Grandpa,” she whispered, looking completely lost. Audrey moved to her daughter and enveloped her in a tight hug. Dave joined them, and the three of them sat in middle of the floor on that eventful Christmas morning, crying for someone they had lost. Christmas was the season of giving; not losing.

Sydney and I watched as the three of them mourned my death; and in our own, unknown way we helped them through the hard times. The funeral was short, but just the way I thought it would be. It felt odd to attend my own funeral, but Sydney and I both sat and watched anyway
Halfway through the service Audrey stood before my family and friends. She had tears rolling down her face, but she smiled anyway.

“Hi,” she said with a tiny wave. She looked nervous. “I’m Audrey Smith.” She took a deep breathe. “I know this is an absolute cliché, but it’s the honest truth, my dad was a great man.”

I closed my eyes, realizing she was going to present my obituary.

“One of the best I knew, and I’m not just saying that because he was my dad,” she started with a tiny laugh. “He was strong, he was loyal, he was caring, and most of all he loved his family with every fiber of his being. When my mom died just over twenty years ago he was devastated, but he stayed strong, and I know the only reason he did that was for me and for my sake. That man would have done anything for me, or his beloved granddaughter, for that matter.”

I nodded my head, knowing what she said was true.

“To lose him will probably always be one of the hardest things I will ever have to endure, but I also know that it will also be the best. He got the greatest Christmas present he could. He got the gift that he’s wished for each Christmas for twenty years. He’s with my Mom now, and I know that’s what he would have wanted. He was a glass half empty without her. He never wanted to admit that to me, though, but I knew because I missed her, too. I hope both my parents are happy now, and were able to find the peace within eachother that they desperately searched for.”

Sydney squeezed my hand. “We raised a good daughter.” I nodded.

Audrey stepped down, but stopped, remembering something.

“My daughter wishes to say something.”

Holly viscously shook her head, realizing how many people were actually here.

In unison Sydney and I stood and walked over to Holly. We both took a hand. She stood without delay and we walked with her to the front, trying to offer her our strength.

“My name’s Holly,” she whispered, quietly. Everyone leaned forward in their seats, realizing it was going to be difficult to hear the little girl speak.

“I loved my Grandpa very much.” She started to cry, but continued. I squeezed her hand, letting her know it was alright. She took a deep breathe.

“I wish he didn’t have to leave me, but my Mommy told me that he went to go visit Grandma Sydney. I didn’t know her, but Grandpa always told me she was an amazing person, so it must be true. All I want to say is that I hope both my Grandpa and Grandma can be happy together,” she said, with a rush wanting to get away from the eyes following her every move. Audrey lead her back to her seat with a comforting hand on her back, leaving Sydney and I standing before the people grieving my death.

“I’m happy,” I announced. Everyone continued sniffing back tears and staring distantly, unknowing to my presence.

“It’s okay,” Sydney said, understanding how I felt. “I know how It feels.” I looked towards her, not realizing she too had attended her own funeral.

“I’m sorry, Syd. At least I have someone with me.”

She didn’t say anything for a moment. “We’re happy,” she announced to the room this time. I wrapped an arm around her back, pulling her closer.

After the burial Audrey kneeled down so she was at eye level with her daughter. She dried Holly’s tears with her thumbs and wiped her nose with a stray tissue.

“Mommy, is Grandpa ever going to come back?” she said, as she sniffed back tears.

“Oh, honey. I’m sorry, but Grandpa’s gone. He can’t come back.”

“Not ever?” she whined.

I could see the tears forming in Audrey’s eyes. It broke my heart to see Audrey and Holly in pain because of something I did. This is what I told myself I would prevent. I was going to shield them away from all emotional heartache and here I was causing it. I watched to rush over to them and tell them I was fine, and that they should be happy, but I knew nothing would come of it. I was dead in their eyes.

“But I miss him, Mommy!”

“I know you do, Sweetheart. So do I, but he’ll always be with us.”

Holly cocked her head to one side. “How?” she asked.

Audrey paused, trying to figure out the best way to describe death to her young daughter.

“He’ll watch over you from up there in heaven. He’ll be like your own guardian angel.”

“And Grandma Sydney/” she asked, hopefully.

“And Grandma Sydney.” Audrey motioned for Dave to approach. She held out her hand, obviously requesting something from him. He fished around in his pocket for an unknown item. He held out his closed hand and dropped a silver object into Audrey’s palm. Holly craned her neck to see what was inside her mother’s hand. Audrey moved it closer so Holly so she could see.

“What is it?” Holly asked, curiously.

“It’s a locket.”

“What’s a locket?”

“It’s a special place where you can always keep Grandma and Grandpa close to your heart.”

Holy smiled widely; something I hadn’t seen in the last week.

Audrey fumbled with the heart shaped locket and opened it up to reveal a picture of a man and a woman, who I noticed to be Sydney and I. Holly stared at them for a moment or two before she noticed who they were.

“Hey, that’s Grandma and Grandpa!

Audrey wrapped the necklace around Holly’s neck and clasped it together.
“This way you know they are always with you no matter what.”

Holly smiled again, and wrapped her arms around her mother.

“Thank you, Mommy!’

“Your welcome, Sweetheart.”

I looked towards Sydney. “We can go now, Vaughn,” she stated. I nodded. Our family was at peace. We had our reassurance that they were fine and would move on, but now we had to leave them. We’d watch them from a distance. Sydney led me over to our side by side graves. She pulled me down to the snow covered ground.

Her eyes fluttered softly as snow fell from the sky in a steady gust. It dusted Sydney’s eyes with tiny beads of water. I watched as they melted on her eyelashes like diamonds glistening on the smooth surface of a frozen pond. I closed my eyes, attempting to memorize every edge and detail of her angelic face. When I opened them slowly I saw Sydney staring back at me. She smiled tenderly and gathered my hands in her own, and placed them next to her heart.

“We found eachother. We always find eachother,” she whispered. With those last words spoken between us we closed our eyes together and drifted off into a long, peaceful sleep full of silent nights.

The cold snow drifted down upon us, covering us from head to toe in its white purity. Cleansing our souls and making everything wrong disappear from our line of vision. All that matter in the world was the two of us. Like white roses flowing down from the heavens above, they dusted us with their delicate touch. Let them wash over us.…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Merry Christmas!!!

christ, I am crying again. i cried during every single part to this fic.
It was beautifully written though, and very good, despite being sad. Thanks for sharing!!

(now please update your other fics!!! :P )

Aww that was the perfect ending!! :love:
-I'm glad Vaughn got his Christmas wish!!
And I loved Holly's little speech...too perfect!
-Loved it! Thanks for the pm!!

That part was brilliant - wildly, crazy brilliant! Congratulations on a story well done! I can't wait to read more of your stuff :smiley: Have a good one :cheers:

Where's a tissuea when you need one?!
Ok, ok....That one amAzing christmas story. Different from others. But definitly a good different. The best :santasmile:
:rockon: Thanks for sharing

Such an original fic... That last chapter did a great job of wrapping the story up with the right amount of fluff and sadness.. 😌

Thanks for a great story. :smiley:

Back