Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Why can I not send Chilli to the UK?

Discussion in 'Open Chat' started by Kevin, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Well, here's a weird one.... I am getting ready to send a 'care package' to somebody in the UK of perishable food items and wanted to check with UPS first to see if there were any restrictions. I doubted there was since I've received perishable items from the UK before but have not shipped them to the UK yet (non-perishable items I ship about once a year or so).

With that in mind I found the UPS page for US=>UK regulations for restricted commodities.

http://www.ups.com/ga/CountryRegsPr...=GB&cat=002&PrintRegulations=PrintRegulations

It is the usual stuff until I noticed this section.....
    Wait, what?! :o_O: I had no intention of sending Chilli to the UK but, now after reading that, I sort of do. :coffee:

2. Azhria Lilu

Azhria Lilu Rocket Ranger

I make a mean chilli :D

3. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

I'll have to swap recipes with you one day. My family has a few different versions we make with varying opinions on what constitutes "chilli".

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Mouthy Cow

5. Jetshroom

Jetshroom Rocket Ranger

Banned and restricted goods could be restricted for any of dozens of reasons. In the case of fruits and vegetables it's usually to keep out potential parasites and insects.