Required Reading for School

It's not absolutely impossible. If you have a young teacher that will share some of the, ahem, jokes, then you might actually be mildly interested. Sometimes with Shakespeare, you just understand what's going on and it completely blows your mind. Seriously. But if not, there's always "Shakespeare for Dummies." :D

In school right now we're reading:
The House Of Dies Drear by Virgina Hamilton- HATE IT.
A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne- OK

I hate required reading.

Patomac said:
It's not absolutely impossible. If you have a young teacher that will share some of the, ahem, jokes, then you might actually be mildly interested. Sometimes with Shakespeare, you just understand what's going on and it completely blows your mind. Seriously. But if not, there's always "Shakespeare for Dummies." :D
I have a sucky teacher who's old and probably wont explain all that!

and right now, for my 9th grade english class, we're reading Sophocles' Antigone. Anyone else read it? How is it? We've just barely started reading it and i like to know what to expect.

VaughnFan13 said:
Patomac said:
It's not absolutely impossible.  If you have a young teacher that will share some of the, ahem, jokes, then you might actually be mildly interested.  Sometimes with Shakespeare, you just understand what's going on and it completely blows your mind.  Seriously.  But if not, there's always "Shakespeare for Dummies." :D
I have a sucky teacher who's old and probably wont explain all that!

and right now, for my 9th grade english class, we're reading Sophocles' Antigone. Anyone else read it? How is it? We've just barely started reading it and i like to know what to expect.
haha...i bought hamlet for dummies! it's grea...there's the orginal n the dummy version! cept i never got to read it yet! -_-

Antigone is a story about a young woman who's father was her brother. But he didn't know it so he put out his eyes and left his kingdom to her uncle. She falls in love with her cousin and both she and her cousin die because her uncle doesn't want him to marry someone tainted.

For school, just this year I've read A tale of Two Citie; Hamlet; Othelo; The Canturbury Tales; Oedipus Rex (about the formention woman's father/brother and is ignorance); Antigone; The Catcher in the Rye; My Name is Asher Lev; Bless me, Ultima; The Woman Warrior, lots of poetry, and short stories.

In preivous years I've read Anthem, Lord of the Flies, The Adventures of Huck Finn, The crucible, Macbeth, The Great Gatsby, Dandelion Wine, The Education of Little Tree, The Odessey, Theseus, Things Fall Apart, The Power of One, To Kill a Mockingbird, Johnny got his Gun, and Romeo and Juliet and many short stories and poerty.

I go to a catholic school, and all of all books are about jews or blacks. I don't mean to sound racist (if i do, i'm sorry), but my school's reading list is horrible. We have to read three books a year, and it feels like ur just reading the same two over and over.

Vaughnluver said:
During the year we read Sophie's World (absolute WORST BOOK ON THE PLANET! Its about the history of philosophy and is pretty much like taking a class)
[post="227229"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: :lol: :lol: In the summer holidays, my cousin/bff Caitlin came over from Spain, and I asked her if she wanted to borrow a book from me and she said "No, I've been reading this stupid philosophical book called 'Sophie's World' that's put me off reading forever!"

Year Seven - Skellig
Year Eight - The Speckled Band
Year Nine - Macbeth
Year Ten - The Crucible (y) , An Inspector Calls, Jane Eyre, Romeo and Juliet
Year Eleven - We started 'Of mice and men' on Monday.

for me:
grade 9- To Kill a Mockingbird

grade 10- Romeo and Juliet and I Heard the Owl Call My Name

grade 11- Macbeth, Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies (and then we had to choose a book out of 5 to do an independent study.. i chose The Lives of Girls and Women)

grade 12- Grapes of Wrath and Hamlet (plus an independent study, i don't know the book yet)

We had to do Thunderwith in year 7
then last year in year 8 we did A Midsummer Night's Dream
and this year we're doing Looking for Alibrandi

Back