Politics 120 held hostage at Russian school

Frogboy_Lives

Stabbifies When Cranky
120 held hostage at Russian school

At least 120 people, including many children, were today taken hostage in a school in southern Russia.

A group of heavily-armed men and women stormed the secondary school, in the city of Beslan, during a morning ceremony being held to mark the first day of the new school year.

Nine people died in the initial attack, according to the Itar-Tass news agency. They included a father who had attempted to resist the terrorists, and one of the attackers, who was shot dead by police.

Earlier reports had put the number of hostages at around 400, including 200 children, but the figure was later revised.

Officials cited by Russia's Interfax news agency said the number of hostages was between 120 and 150, but the number of pupils among them was not specified.

Ruslan Ayamov, spokesman for North Ossetia's interior ministry, denied earlier reports that the hostage-takers had freed 15 of children.

However, he said some students had managed to escape by hiding in the school's boiler room when the terrorists stormed the site and then fleeing.

The Russian news agency RIA reported that the attackers had mined the school's gymnasium and threatened to blow it up if security forces attempted to intervene. A regional police official told the Associated Press that the hostages had been herded into the gym building.

Kazbek Dzantiyev, head of the regional interior ministry, said that the hostages have threatened "for every destroyed fighter, they will kill 50 children and for every injured fighter, 20 [children]," ITAR-Tass reported.
Cont.

And these are little kids we're talking about.

Some people aren't deserving of the term "human".

What I don't understand is what do people get from killing children? They're innocent for crying out loud! I hope these children will be okay.... :(

What has this world come to? :angry:

I heard this on the radio this morning... :(

Children...they have children as hostages, using them as their bargining chip -_-

Desperate times indeed. I'm also worried about how this will be resolved. If you recall the last standoff ended badly for both sides. Essentially the russian police/military ended up pumping poisonous gas into the church, knocking everybody out. Unfortunately, they didn't have enough antidote on hand to counter act the effects for everyone, so quite a number of the hostages died, along with 41 terrorists. I hope they don't try something stupid like that this time.

Xin Li

Well, put yourself in the Putin's place, you can't bargain with the terrorists because they'll just keep doing it and get what they're asking for every time. I didn't blame him for storming that movie theatre and killing all the terrorist and 100 hostages, its a shame yes, but sometimes you have no alternative.

The public can't be protected by the governemnt 100% of the time, although its their job, its just not possible, especially with the land mass russia has.

So you're putting Putin between a rock and a hard place, either comply with terrorists and the bas-tards get what they want or try and stop em killing a few hostages by accident. The guy isn't a miracle-maker, innocent lives will be lost, wether its children or not.

I just saw live British and Australian reports.

Apparently Putin's propaganda machine is already reporting it as a great victory.

However, the British reporter who is INSIDE the school at the moment has just said there are up to 100 dead and burnt bodies in the gymnasium. The official death toll at the moment is 7 - quite a difference really.

The Australian reporter was just in tears. He is very angry, and said that the corrupt Russian officials are going to try and cover it all up.

So, whoever it was who was saying the other day how wonderful Putin is, maybe should have a think about the meaning of the word corrupt.

Natalia said:
I just saw live British and Australian reports.

Apparently Putin's propaganda machine is already reporting it as a great victory.

However, the British reporter who is INSIDE the school at the moment has just said there are up to 100 dead and burnt bodies in the gymnasium. The official death toll at the moment is 7 - quite a difference really.

The Australian reporter was just in tears. He is very angry, and said that the corrupt Russian officials are going to try and cover it all up.

So, whoever it was who was saying the other day how wonderful Putin is, maybe  should have a think about the meaning of the word corrupt.
[post="987019"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

The terrorists didn't get what they wanted so it is a victory for Russia, sorry to say, you cant comply with them even if it costs innocent lives. Its not like the russians raided the school aiming for innocent people, but if killed them by accident call them martyrs.

You can't win in these situations, Putin is damned for not taking action or for taking action, it's people like you who think they can resolve a situtation like that over a cup of tea, think again.

Bloodshed to end the situation was a guarantee, there is no doubting that. Now covering it up and saying only 7 lives were lost is wrong, i agree with you on that one. Propaganda is a machine that drives every single country in the world, no one state is immune to it, even civilized countries.

I know all of that. My point is that Putin is a corrupt (insert evil word here), and his government recently ranked as the most corrupt in the world. Instead of reporting this accurately - especially in Russia - it is being reported as a great Russian victory. Which it isn't. It was complete chaos, and I watched it live on television for at least an hour.

All of the Western journalists are outraged at the way it is being reported. And, with quite a lot of knowledge of and experience in this part of the world, so am I.

Propaganda in Russia is a very different thing to propaganda in the US.

It´s unbelievable how could people be so cruel and merciless and took even kids and babies as their hostage?
Nearly every tv broadcasts is covering this topic so matter of factly and emotionless, ít´s so violently I just could not take it and start crying as I saw the half- naked kids running for their lives.

Did anyone know how the US- government reacted to these terror attacks?

I think this attack points out that there is no safe place anymore!
In the future Terrorist won´t even flinch kindergartens!

Muse

That's the exact reason the terrorist attacked a school, its been out for 3 days and it already got more publicity than the 2 planes that went down.

Targeting children: good tactic? yes .... but don't count on me for giving sympathy to the terrorists.

So you can't feel sorry for the innocent victims - the children and other hostages? I really don't understand where you are coming from.

It's possible to have sympathy for the victims without having sympathy for the terrorists. The fact it has got so much publicity has just made people hate the terrorists more.

Natalia said:
So you can't feel sorry for the innocent victims - the children and other hostages? I really don't understand where you are coming from.

It's possible to have sympathy for the victims without having sympathy for the terrorists. The fact it has got so much publicity has just made people hate the terrorists more.
[post="987155"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Exactly my point, and yes i do have sympathy for the hostages that died, children and adults alike. Terrorists know that no or almost no government on earth will agree to negotiate with them, so they go out in a blaze of glory.

It furthers the cause, i agree with you 100%, but do not for 1 second think that terrorist-sympathizers won't voluntarily recruit themselves into and for the "cause". Terrorists know that children will get more media and that's exactly why they hit the school.

Putin did the right thing by storming the school, bloodshed was inevitable, this isn't a silly bank robbery, it's terrorism, there is no negotiating. Some governments have negotiated with terrorists, be it directly or indirectly and have come to face the consequences. Spain for example.

I can't believe this happened. I mean attack adults is one thing, but attacking innocent childern that have no clue what is going on is just sickening and gross. They are predicting at least over a hundred childern dead. This makes me sick to think that people would harm an innocent child

German Muse said:
Did anyone know how the US- government reacted to these terror attacks?

Bush and Powell gave offers of US help to the Russians.
Powell renews US offer to help Russia in Ossetia hostage crisis

Don't know if they were taken up or not.

In the future Terrorist won´t even flinch kindergartens!
[post="987142"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Considering that there were a number of very small children and babies taken hostage, in essence they've already attacked a kindergarten.

Back