A Fine Line

SkyGirl5

Cadet
hey guys sorry for the delay
yesterday morning was crazy with figuring out wether or not my classes were cancled and trying to figure out how to get to the ones that weren't canceled

Title: A Fine Line
Genre: s/v au
Summary:It's been said that there is a fine line between love and hate. As far as Sydney Bristow as concerned, when it comes to her costar Michael Vaughn that line is from here to the moon and back and she is most definitely on the 'hate' side of it.

22 Chapters + Epilogue
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 [below] Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8
Chapter 9 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15 Chapter 16
Chapter 17 Chapter 18 Chapter 19 Chapter 20 Chapter 21 Chapter 22 + Epilogue

Chapter 1
It was a scorching hot day in New York City. The sun beating down from its high position in the sky and the heat radiating out of the black tar streets did not help the fact that Sydney Bristow was trying not to sweat as she dodged cars on her way across 70th Street. She was late. She hated being late, especially to auditions. Her tardiness was not her fault though. Her doctors appointment had run long due to an over scheduling problem, so she was stuck running half way across the city to make it in time for her one pm call back. It was twelve fifty-eight and she had another block to run before she reached the 71st Street Theater. So much for warming up before the audition.

“Sydney! There you are!” her close friend, Cooper, hissed too her when she blew into the stage doors, stripping off her street shoes on the way. “Where’ve you been?!”

“Long story,” she breathed. She quickly pulled her dance shoes out of her bag before tossing the bag to Cooper. She hopped and nearly fell trying to shove them on her feet as she skidded out onto the stage apologizing profusely.

“It’s quite alright Sydney,” the director, Anderson Andrews, told her. “Just go ahead and begin.”

Sydney nodded to him and quickly took her position on stage before realizing she was still wearing her jeans, which, of course, she couldn’t dance in. Laughing nervously, she stripped them off, revealing her leotard below, and tossing them to the side of the stage before taking her position once more. She then took a deep breath. This part of the audition, the ballet performance, she was not nervous about in the least, having graduated from Julliard and spending two years with the New York City Ballet company before deciding to pursue her dreams of Broadway. Ballet was in her blood since her mother had been involved in the Russian ballet; it came naturally to her.

After a flawless performance, she exited the stage, picking up her jeans on the way, and rushed over to Cooper, who was clapping and doing his happy-Cooper dance. “Girl you were wonderful!” he exclaimed when pulling her into a hug.

“Thanks Coop,” Sydney laughed softly. Cooper was perhaps her oldest and dearest friend in New York City. They had met during her visit to Julliard before she was even accepted there. Cooper was her tour guide and then became her peer mentor (he was a class above her) when she decided to attend the school. After an injury put him out of commission from the first season of the New York Ballet, he decided to pursue his dream of Broadway. It was he who encouraged Sydney to do the same. When she agreed, he agreed to attend her first audition with her, especially since he was auditioning as well.

“I’m serious!” Cooper said. “You’re totally going to get the part of Marie!”

“Coop,” Sydney said with a half laugh, half sigh, “there is no way I’m going to get the lead role on my very first audition.”

Cooper shrugged casually saying, “You’ll never know. Have you seen these other girls?” he asked, lowering his voice significantly. “Their ballet is terrible and this musical is about ballet! Hello!” Sydney laughed and shook her head, shoving him lightly.

The two of them walked out into the audience part of the theater so that they could watch the rest of the auditions and wait for the final casting decisions to be made. Sydney quickly found that Cooper was right; most of the girls’ ballet was horrible and left Sydney cringing.

“My, my, my who is that?” Cooper exclaimed, practically drooling, when a tall, blonde haired, green-eyed man took the stage. “Now he is pretty.”

Sydney laughed and shook her head at her friend, who was always trying to get a date. She couldn’t disagree though; the man on the stage was most definitely handsome with his messy hair, strong jaw and chin dimple. Her appeal for him faded, though, the moment his ballet audition began. He was definitely lacking. Of course, he wasn’t the worst she’d seen by far, especially at that audition. After all, he did manage to stay on his feet for the entire performance, which was a plus; his technique simply wasn’t perfected, like hers.

After the green-eyed man left the stage two more men auditioned, though neither stuck out in Sydney’s mind as very good. Then, the auditions were concluded and the director told everyone to bear with him while he and the producer and choreographer made their decisions regarding the cast. “You’re definitely going to get the part of Charlie,” Sydney told Cooper, referring to the lead male character in the musical.

“Oh I don’t know,” Cooper sighed, rubbing his stubble covered chin. “There were a few very good auditions before you arrived…”

“Very good is one thing; you are excellent,” Sydney pointed out with a smile.

“Oh stop,” he told her with a laugh and a hand wave that made Sydney giggle.

They chatted for a few more minutes before the director took center stage, ready to announce the cast. “Without further ado – the cast for On Pointe. Playing Marie, the lead female role, will be… Sydney Bristow!” Anderson said.

Sydney let out a shocked screech as Cooper smothered her with a hug. “You did it babe I’m so proud of you!” he told her. Sydney shook her head in disbelief. Getting the first role she tried out for wasn’t something she had expected, but then again, she had been the best in her class at Julliard.

“Playing Charlie, the lead male role, will be… Michael Vaughn!” Anderson said.

Sydney looked at Cooper in pure shock. “Oh my god I’m so sorry – you were robbed. Who the hell is Michael Vaughn?!” she asked, craning her head to look around the theater. On the opposite end of the row she was sitting in, she saw a few men giving handshakes to the green-eyed man Cooper had dubbed ‘pretty’. It appeared this was Michael Vaughn.

“Oh my god! That’s terrible! He couldn’t dance for anything – you were so robbed, Coop, I’m so sorry!” Sydney told him, rubbing his arm.

“It’s alright,” Coop told her.

After another few minutes, all the parts had been given out. Cooper ended up with a role in the chorus, which he was happy about, since at least he was part of the musical. When all the new cast members collected on stage for a brief meet-and-greet, Sydney walked up to Michael Vaughn to introduce herself. They were going to be spending a lot of time together in the coming months so they needed to get acquainted.

When she introduced herself and explained who she was playing, all Michael Vaughn said in return was, “Okay… hi,” before walking away, leaving Sydney’s jaw on the floor.

“What was that?” Coop asked her quietly.

“Well, apparently in addition to sucking at ballet, Michael Vaughn is an asshole,” Sydney muttered to him while folding her arms over her chest. Somehow, she just knew, she was going to hate him.

ETA some of you need to empty out your PM inboxes! You didnt get PMs because you've reached the maximum stored messages. :rolleyes:

Michael Vaughn is an asshole,” Sydney muttered to him while folding her arms over her chest. Somehow, she just knew, she was going to hate him.
bah hahahahahha
yer hate

....loveeeeeeeeeee
hehe whats with the line fettish?

Nice idea... MV doing ballet :lol: I wish I could see that one!!!!!!!! I'd pay lotsa bucks for that :rolleyes:

“Well, apparently in addition to sucking at ballet, Michael Vaughn is an asshole,” Sydney muttered to him while folding her arms over her chest. Somehow, she just knew, she was going to hate him.

First, jeesh MV's been cold there!!!!!!! he better change his attitude if he wants to be Sydney's future friend/boyfriend/husband/father of her kids :angelic: :lol:

I'm glad that Michael is not very good at ballet because then he might be a better match for Cooper! :P Thanks for the PM; I can't wait to read the rest of this great fic!

What's wrong with Michael he was so rude, no wonder why Syd hates him, I hope he changes his attitude soon.

Great start. Thnaks for the pm.

°°NiCkY°°

I love it when they start out hating each other and then end up loving each other!! :woot:
-But why was Vaughn soo rude!??
Too cute! Thanks for the pm!!

Ah niice! :D
I have a great quote that illustrates the situation here: "The important thing isn't that the perfect couple find each other, but that the unperfect couple start to enjoy each other's differences."

^_^

OOO.. interesting start. I like the ballet element.. something we've never seen before. :smiley:

Great chatper. Thanks for the pm. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Back