A Helping Hand

Hey!~!
wat up?
ok last time i said this you updatedso lets try again shall we?
IS IT UPDATE TIME?
there me said it!
IF Sydney gets tempoary custody of Gracie, doe that mean that Michael will move back on to the streets instead of staying with sydney.
texasalias
maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe :P
you wont throw Michael out will ya? :thinking:
Aww, that was sad. he wants to give grace up to give her home. that's really thoughtfull of him even though it's breaking his heart. and he trust syd enough to offer her custody
i agree he trust Sydney <'id-nee'> alot if he is offering Syd <'id'> to take very good care of graciey!
i wander what kind of doggy <puppy> they're getting???

Pheonix :P

:lol: you're about 20 mins early -- im still sleeping then!

Chapter 18
Christmas Eve morning, Sydney’s parents arrived to begin what would undoubtedly be a very interesting holiday for all. Michael forced Grace to awake early so that she would be alert, dressed and presentable for when the elder Bristow’s arrived. Meanwhile, Sydney was nervously racing around the house making sure that all the decorations (which had been put up by a decorating crew the previous day much to Michael’s amusement) were perfect and ready for her mother’s scrutiny.

“Jeez Syd everything looks fine,” Michael told her with a slight eye roll as she straightened the red ribbons tying up the stair banister for the hundredth time.

“No, it’s not fine. It has to be perfect. You have no idea what she said last Christmas,” Sydney muttered as she tugged at the red velvet bow.

“What’d she say?” Grace, who was sitting on the steps with her chin resting on her fist, asked. She was waiting until after the Bristow’s arrived and got settled, at which point she could take off the green dress her father forced her to wear and exchange it for her jeans.

“Well, it had only been a few months since they moved down to Florida and she basically said that I couldn’t handle this big house because none of it was decorated. But that’s not true! I had the family room decorated because that’s the only room I sit in, but ohhhh nooo!! For my mother every little speck of the room has to be glowing nauseatingly with Christmas cheer!”

“Syd you’re gonna rip the bow; back away slowly,” Michael warned when he caught a glimpse of the gnarled red fabric Sydney had in her grasp.

“I’m sorry!” she said with a grunt of frustration. “I just don’t want my mother’s disapproval of the decorations to turn into another, ‘you know, you really should be married by now you old hag’ discussion. It’s bad enough I’m going to get the, ‘well you have a man living right here why don’t you do something about it!’ one.”

Michael swallowed hard at that comment, for exploring it any further would prove to be very awkward endeavor. “Please make sure I’m not in the room for that,” he begged.

“Trust me, if I didn’t have to be in the room for it; I wouldn’t,” she told him very seriously. Michael couldn’t help but laugh softly.

The trio only had to wait a few more minutes before the Bristow’s car arrived out front. Sydney opened the door to greet her parents while Michael and Grace hung back further in the foyer, allowing Sydney to greet her parents since she had not seen them since the summer. They chatted for a few moments while her mother complained about the low quality of their flight and insisted that the next time they flew in they fly in a private jet. As Sydney rolled her eyes to this comment, her mother finally took notice of the man and little girl standing statuesque a few feet away.

“Oh I’m terribly sorry! I forgot you were going to be here!” Sydney’s mother apologized before walking over and extending her hand to Michael. Sydney introduced her parents to Michael and Grace before they all exchanged polite hellos. Grace even did a forced curtsy that Michael had obviously put her up to by way of bribery.

“Well aren’t you just an adorable little girl? How old are you Grace?” Sydney’s mother asked sweetly.

“Seven,” Grace said quietly, “and I’m in first grade.”

“Well you’ve got quite a bit of school ahead of you then,” she laughed softly.

“Thank god,” Michael added with a laugh. Everyone else laughed as well.

~*~

After a very interesting day during which Grace behaved extra sweetly to impress Sydney’s parents (though Michael and Sydney knew she was just putting on a show so they would give her candy), they all sat down for a very nice Christmas Eve dinner. Apparently, it was tradition in the Bristow household to have a very elegant meal on Christmas Eve. Of course, combining such a meal with a seven-year-old meant elegance only went so far until Grace proclaimed that she was bored to death and they needed to hurry up and eat already so she could go and watch ‘Miracle on 34th Street’ on TV. Naturally, Michael was mortified at this, but the Bristow’s seemed to be more amused by it than offended.

“Your daughter really is lovely,” Mrs. Bristow told Michael after he returned from forcing her to bed, much to her extreme protest.

“Thank you very much,” Michael smiled softly at her. “I try my best but sometimes… well, I’m not sure its working.”

“It is,” Sydney assured him with a soft smile.

“So, Michael, Sydney mentioned something about you working for the company? What exactly is your position there?” Mr. Bristow inquired. Immediately, Sydney cringed dramatically and cursed her father under her breath. The one thing she had sworn her father not to ask was about Michael’s career, but did he listen? Of course not.

“Well sir,” Michael began in a very timid voice, “I, um, work in the maintenance department.”

“I see,” he said shortly. Michael could not help but wince inwardly at this tone. He knew it all to well; it was the ‘oh, I see, you’re just a janitor’ tone. While he knew his job was not high on the glamorous list, it was still something that needed to be done in all buildings everywhere. Besides, at least he was showing up to work every day on time and bringing home a steady income. To him, that was far better than only working adequately at another more exciting position.

Upon seeing the look on Michael’s face, Sydney’s heart sank down to her feet. She knew all too well Michael’s sensitivity towards his profession. Quite frankly, she could not blame him for his feelings, which was why she specifically warned her parents not to bring it up. She did not need to make Michael feel uncomfortable, especially not on Christmas, but she also could not control her parent’s behavior, so they just had to deal with it.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, Michael announced, “Well I need to wrap a few last minute presents for tomorrow. Goodnight everyone,” he said simply before excusing himself with a polite smile. Once he was gone, Sydney turned to her parents with an inward grimace, waiting for the worst. Now that Michael was out of earshot, it was perfectly acceptable for them to tear him apart.

“He seems like a very nice man,” her mother said in a hopeful tone. Sydney said nothing, waiting for the inevitable ‘however…’.

“How exactly did you run into him?” her father asked.

“Well it’s a funny story,” she began with a soft laugh. Then she told the story of how she had quite literally run into Michael and his daughter, which spurred their most unusual friendship.

“That’s awful! It must have scared them half to death! I hope you reported that driver and had him fired,” her mother said. Sydney grumbled a noncommittal answer at this.

“Well that still doesn’t explain why they’re here,” her father added with a skeptical look.

“They just are Dad. They needed help, so I’m helping them. It’s as simple as that,” she told him.

He raised a suspicious eyebrow at her. “Why do I get the feeling you’re not telling us everything?”

“Well maybe I’m not, but whatever I’m leaving out is not important so you’ll just have to deal with it. Goodnight; I’ll see you in the morning,” she said simply before walking out of the room, not wanting to continue their pressing conversation line. Frankly, it was none of her parents business what Michael was doing there and she knew all too well how they would judge him if they found out he was homeless, which only further reaffirmed the fact that they did not need to know.

“Well maybe I’m not, but whatever I’m leaving out is not important so you’ll just have to deal with it. Goodnight; I’ll see you in the morning,” she said simply before walking out of the room, not wanting to continue their pressing conversation line. Frankly, it was none of her parents business what Michael was doing there and she knew all too well how they would judge him if they found out he was homeless, which only further reaffirmed the fact that they did not need to know.

The fact that he's a janitor they have already judged him.

I know Sydney's heart was in the right place asking Michael and Grace to stay with her but I know this Christmas is going to be a total disaster for Michael. He'll probably have what little shred of pride that he had ripped away from him.

Chris

I don't like it when people look down on somebody that hasn't a lot of money or not the dream-job they probably wanted. Michael has a stable job so far and he is very proud of it. Now that pride has been taken.

I hope he won't be all angry and mad and then leave Sydney. :thinking:

That'd be so sad :(

Noticing that you update everyday, made me have a look at your story and once I did, I read it all. I wonder what's with Sydney's mother cause she is always referred as "Sydney's mother" but not Irina.. Isn't she Irina?? :thinking:

I agree with Chris that Christmas is not going to go well at all for Michael. I'm hoping her parents don't find out about him being homeless, I think they might be likely to call the authorities about it and get Grace taken away if they knew.
Great update

I'm hoping her parents don't find out about him being homeless, I think they might be likely to call the authorities about it and get Grace taken away if they knew.

I hope they wouldn't call the authorities. Not sure how Syd or Vaughn could ever get past that. I am assuming that the 3 of them will be a real family by the end of this story. Would be a shame if Grace didn't have loving grandparents to go a long with the package. ;) You do bring up a interesting point though and one that I thought of as well. Especially after Michael asking Syd about temp guardianship. There has to be a reason for that. Otherwise the two of them are living with Syd, Michael has a job and grace has a good homelife. So what problem would the authorities have, unless Mr. Bristow uses his power and high social status?

it was weird, when i read this chapter i didnt picture jack and irina. haha. i realized that after i got done reading.

anyway...wheres syd sleeping? lol. :D hopefully....grace is in syd's old bed so now she has to stay with Michael.

ahhhh can't wait to find out!! great update :smiley:

Eish... poor Michael's ego. I hope he's not further humiliated. Or, at least, he can come up with a smart comeback.

yay!~!
you updated!~!
bad spydaddy bad!~!
:lol:
“I’m sorry!” she said with a grunt of frustration. “I just don’t want my mother’s disapproval of the decorations to turn into another, ‘you know, you really should be married by now you old hag’ discussion. It’s bad enough I’m going to get the, ‘well you have a man living right here why don’t you do something about it!’ one.”
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael swallowed hard at that comment, for exploring it any further would prove to be very awkward endeavor. “Please make sure I’m not in the room for that,” he begged.
i cant wait to read that!~!
yay go SYD!~! :lol:
:eek: Puppy didnt arive :(
:lol: you're about 20 mins early -- im still sleeping then!
im sorry!~!
Pheonix :P

hey!~! :smiley:
every time i say this u update right after me!~!
and me is sorry if this is posted early in the morin in USA!~! :blush:
ok me is gonna say again!~!
IS IT UPDATE TIME?~?
yay me said me said!~!
NO PUPPY ARIVAL!~!
doom on you doom on you!~! :lol:
you know i'm just kidding right? :thinking:
Pheonix
:P

Chapter 19
Due to their rearranged sleeping quarters, Sydney had the most unfortunate pleasure of sharing a bed with Grace come Christmas morning. Of course, she had been the one to choose this, thinking how nice it would be to give Michael a few minutes extra sleep, even if it was only the two minutes it took Grace to wake Sydney up and then run across the hall. However, come six fifty-seven am on December 25th, Sydney was seriously regretting that decision.

“Wake up! Wake up Sydney its Christmas! WAKE UP!” Grace repeated as she bounced up and down on the bed. Sydney moaned and crammed her head down under her pillow, trying to ignore the little girl, but of course Grace would not stand for this. She yanked the pillow away and landed with a painful thump on Sydney’s back. “Sydney come on!! It’s Christmas.”

“Which is why you should sleep…it can be your present to me,” Sydney mumbled.

“Nooo!! We have to get up!” Grace exclaimed. Then she leapt off the bed and charged across the hall. Hoping she was gone for at least a little while, Sydney curled back up and tried to fall back to sleep, but her peace was short lived. Only three minutes after Grace left, she came barreling back into the room and dove up onto the bed, shaking it once more. “You’re not up Sydney!! Daddy make Sydney get up!” Grace said.

“Oh trust me,” Michael paused to yawn, “I will.” Feeling rather vindictive, Michael yanked all the blankets off Sydney’s balled-up form. She squirmed and tried to tuck all her limbs further into her body, shivering from the sudden cold. “Five seconds until I dump the mattress. Five. Four. Three. Two-”

“Alright I’m up, I’m up,” Sydney grumbled as she pushed her body up into a sitting position.

“Let’s go!” Grace exclaimed, grabbing her by the hand and attempting to drag her from the room. Of course with their vast size differences this did not work at all, but Grace was trying her hardest so Sydney slowly slid from the bed, grabbed her robe and made her way downstairs with Michael, who was looking equally zombie-like.

“Ah, the joys of young children on Christmas morning,” he said with a fake grin. Sydney grumbled at him before muttering something about the joy of sleeping under her breath.

“Can we open presents now Daddy?!” Grace asked as she danced around the foyer, trying to get the sleepy adults to hurry up.

“No you have to wait for Sydney’s parents, but!” he caught her just as she was about to charge back up the stairs, “you can’t wake them up.”

“Why not!” she whined.

“Yeah I think we should let her,” Sydney said very seriously. Forcing them to get up at sunrise was a very nice form a payback for the critique she would inevitably receive from them before the holiday was over.

“No,” Michael said firmly, directing his daughter towards the kitchen. Grace made a face before stomping her feet all the way to the back of the house.

Since it was Christmas morning, Consuela had the day off, which gave Michael the task of making breakfast for the whole family. He did not mind, though; he enjoyed cooking. That particular morning he made waffles and chocolate chip pancakes from scratch while Sydney and Grace watched and practically drooled.

“Seriously, you amaze me,” Sydney sighed.

“What!? Why? Because I can make pancakes?” Michael laughed in disbelief.

“No, because you can make pancakes and make it look easy,” she told him.

“It is easy. I bet you could do it,” he told her. She shook her head. “Yes you could!”

“Well, maybe I could mix the dough-”

“Batter,” he corrected.

“Whatever, but if I tried to cook it I’d burn it,” she sighed sadly.

“Oh,” Michael laughed softly.

Only another half hour passed before the elder Bristow’s arrived in the kitchen and shared the breakfast Michael created. When they found out (via Sydney) he made the entire thing from scratch, they praised him highly, at which Sydney noticed Michael was blushing softly. Once they were finished eating, Grace finally got her wish of being able to open presents, for which she was incredibly excited.

The five of them sat around Sydney’s Christmas tree in the family room area and passed presents around between them. From Sydney, Grace received the game she asked for along with a sweater, and from her father she received a nice winter jacket (since hers was rather tattered) and new shoes, since she had almost grown out of her old ones. Much to her surprise, Sydney received a present from Michael as well.

“You didn’t have to get me anything,” she told him seriously, holding the wrapped box in her hand.

“It’s just a thank you for everything you’ve done… I mean, no item could be enough to express how grateful I am, but this is just a little something,” he said with a slight shrug. Sydney gave him a soft smile before unwrapping the box quickly. Inside, she found two plastic zip-lock bags filled with what appeared to be two different kinds of cookies.

“Did you make these?!” Sydney asked excitedly. Michael nodded and Sydney let out a squeal of happiness. “This is the best gift ever!” she exclaimed before digging into one of the bags. After pulling out what appeared to be an ordinary chocolate chip cookie, she bit into it and exclaimed, “MM! My god these are the best cookies ever!”

“Well its my own recipe…,” Michael said casually.

“They’re so good!” she gushed before cramming the rest of the cookie into her mouth and reaching for another, not even caring that she was still rather full from her pancake breakfast.

Just as the present opening was wearing down, Sydney flashed her father a secretive look and he disappeared from the family room. The previous evening, she had enlisted him to help with Grace’s special puppy surprise. A minute after he left, he returned holding a square box very gingerly. “Grace, I believe this is for you,” he said simply before setting the box down in front of her gently.

“What does it say?” Michael asked, referring to the card atop the box.

“It says, ‘To Sydney and Grace, from Santa’…who would give us something?!” Grace asked Sydney with confusion. Sydney shrugged innocently and encouraged her to open the box. Grace whipped the top off quickly and gasped upon seeing its contents. Never in her life had Sydney seen a more touched and purely excited look on anyone’s face than she saw on Grace’s face in that moment. Her look alone was worth more than a million presents every day for the rest of her life; it made her feel wonderful.

“A puppy!” Grace said in disbelief for, looking up to her from the box was a tan colored ball of fur with a tiny little tail. “Daddy it’s a puppy!” she said almost tearfully. Then she reached out to scoop the puppy into her lap and Michael warned,

“Be careful Grace.”

Grace said nothing as she picked up the puppy around its waist and pulled it into her lap. She then lifted the puppy up and nuzzled her face into its soft fur before giving its head a gentle kiss. “Is it a girl puppy or a boy puppy?” Grace asked.

“Looks like a little girl,” Sydney, who of course knew the gender of the puppy she purchased, said. “Why don’t you name her,” she suggested.

“Okay… Sydney. I want to name her Sydney,” Grace said after only a moment’s thought.

With this announcement, all the adults laughed softly. “Honey, you can’t name the puppy Sydney,” Michael told her. “Why don’t you pick another name?”

“Okay,” Grace said with a slight groan. After thinking another minute and stoking the puppy’s fur she said, “Santa. We can call her Santa ‘cause we can’t tell Santa thank you so this will be like thanking him!”

Michael glanced over at Sydney, who gave a rather helpless shrug. “Alright…Santa it is then,” he laughed softly.

“YAY!” Grace cheered. Then she scooped up the puppy once more and looked her in the eye. “Hi Santa! You’re gonna like it here I promise!”

Michael has found his calling, a baker. Or he could be a pastry chef.

I thought it was cute that Sydney talked her father into helping with Grace's gift. Maybe he'll start warming up to the little girl. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he'll warm up to Michael.

Chris

Back