A Series of Stories

Sydney sat at the desk in her bedroom holding a glass of whiskey in her right hand. She had been staring out the window for the last few minutes in an effort to decide if what she was about to put into motion was the right thing. Lily was sleeping the night away in her room down the hall, and hopefully there would be no bad dreams to wake her up that night. Checking the clock, she groaned when she realized that the sun would be coming up in a couple hours.

“I’ve put this off too long,” she said. She reached into the desk and took out a stack of blank paper and a pen. Within seconds, the first piece was sitting there ready for her to write on.

The night before, when Lily found that bunch of flowers on their front stoop, Sydney had been thrown off completely. She couldn’t remember a time when she was that confused, excited, and terrified all at the same time. It had taken her all that night and the rest of the next day just to be able to process all the different possibilities this delivery created in her mind.

When she had finished going over the options, she was left with one thing. The understanding that it was soon going to be time to tell Lily what exactly happened to her Aunt Nadia. She had to cover all of her bases.

With a sigh, Sydney picked up the pen and began to write...

The day began with a simple phone call from her father with the pretext of wishing Lily a happy fourth birthday. After Lily had spoken with her grandpa for a bit, she handed the phone back to her mother.

“Thanks for calling, Dad,” Sydney began. “It makes Lily happy to hear your voice even when you can’t be here. Where are you now, by the way?”

“The CIA has me stationed in Belize for another week, but then I’ll be home to see my two favorite girls.” Jack had been spending more and more time on missions that called for more than a snatch and grab. He had been in Chile for a month, the Congo for six weeks, and Turkey for eleven days already that year, and it was only May.

Sydney could tell that her father was being a little more distant than normal. He was keeping something restrained inside him. “Is something wrong?” she asked, not wanting to delay the inevitable.

“It’s your sister, Sydney.”

Her heart froze at the mention of Nadia. Everyone tried to mention her as little as possible. The situation with her hadn’t gotten any better in the last few months. In fact, it had gotten worse.

Sydney paused in her writing, thinking of how she could tell her daughter about the issues that she had been facing at the time. Obviously, she couldn’t blurt out to Lily that her mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, and all the other various pseudo-aunts and uncles she had were all part of a crazy world of spies. It might be time to tell her that Nadia isn’t alive somewhere in India, but it certainly wasn’t time yet to tell her the whole story of Sydney’s life.

“I wonder if she’d believe that Nadia worked for an evil bank...”

“What is going on with Nadia?”

“She resurfaced a few days ago in Chicago.”

Nadia had been missing, presumed dead, since an altercation she had had with the Chinese government a month earlier. Sydney and her father hadn’t believed for one moment that Nadia had died at the time. So it was no surprise to find her up and kicking.

Since Sark’s funeral, Nadia had begun to distance herself from her family. At the time, the reason why was not clear.

“Now it makes perfect sense,” Sydney muttered as she refilled her glass with more whiskey.

Nadia had been meeting with her father on and off, though at the time no one knew it. It seems that she had finally given up on having any semblance of a normal life. Sydney still wasn’t sure what went on between Sloane and Nadia during these times, but she attributed all the strain in her relationship with her sister to it.

Looking back, Sydney realized that maybe her sister was just crying out for a little attention. She had been so wrapped up in figuring where her life was heading now that Sark was no longer with her that she hadn’t paid any attention to Nadia. She should have been more concerned for her seeing as she had gone through many different upheavals and life-changing events in her few years with the CIA.

“Maybe if I had listened, I could have gotten her a job with the CIA or something more exciting, something to keep her occupied and out of Sloane’s evil grasp.” She set down the empty whiskey glass and took a deep breath. “I really need to stop blaming myself for everything that’s ever gone wrong.”

She picked up the pen and started to write again...

Sydney processed the new information that Nadia was alive and kicking. Finally, she said, “So what?”

“Don’t act like it means nothing to you, Sydney,” her father warned. “We both know what day it is today.”

“I don’t believe the Rambaldi prophecy,” she said firmly.

“Just because you don’t believe it doesn’t mean it might not come to be. Milo Rambaldi has never been wrong when it comes to our family. I admit that for the first few prophecies we found, I was as skeptical as any other man would be, but everything he’s said has come true. You were the woman in the prophecy on Page 47. Even when we tried to prove that wrong, we couldn’t succeed.”

“How were we supposed to know that there are hundreds of mountains named Subasio in that damn country? It was impossible to succeed.”

Jack cleared his throat. “Back to the subject at hand. Milo Rambaldi prophesized that you and your sister would engage in a fatal fight on the fourth anniversary of your life’s meaning. At the time we first encountered it, we had no clue what that meant.”

“That was before Sark died, and you and I both realized that Lily was the only thing I was living for.”

“She’s the meaning to your life, and she’s turning four today, Sydney.”

“So you think Nadia is going to come bursting in here to kill me?” She laughed. “That isn’t even close to being likely. Nadia is a free spirit. She’s not going to do something just because some man who died hundreds of years ago said it would happen. In fact, if I know my sister, she’ll be sure to rebel against the idea.”

“That’s the point. No one really knows your sister. She hasn’t exactly been open to talking about her life before we found her and her connection with Rambaldi.”

“It’s funny how, even though she’s not your daughter by blood, she still inherited your aloofness.”

“You need to stop joking and start getting serious,” Jack warned.

“Listen, Dad. I refuse to live my life in fear. I did that for months after Sark was killed, and it got me nowhere. I’m not going to keep looking over my shoulder for the day Nadia decides it’s time to take the power that Rambaldi unwittingly bestowed upon me.”

Jack could tell when his daughter was getting frustrated. “That’s fine, Sydney. I’ll let you go and celebrate with Lily, then.”

“Thank you.” Sydney sighed, knowing that the best thing to do was just to hang up the phone now. But she knew that wasn’t what she was going to do. “There’s something else, though. You better tell me.”

“The reason I’m in Belize is because your sister has been running her operations with Sloane here. We didn’t recognize it was her at first since she was operating under an alias. I didn’t connect her to it until a few hours ago.”

“Which is the reason why you called in the first place.”

“Yes. You see, the alias has a connection to you, and I thought that might be evidence at first to her still being emotionally tied to you. I think it was meant to upset you and send a message.”

“The only thing that would upset me is if it had something to do with Sark.”

“Well, I don’t think it does. But I think she picked the codename to let you know that she was ready to come after you. She fully intends to carry out the Rambaldi prophecy.”

Sydney was getting a little tired of beating around the bush. “Just tell me the name, Dad.”

“She’s been going by the codename Lotus. Does that mean anything to you?”

“No,” she lied. “I have to go. Lily’s calling me.”

Sydney paused and set the pen down. She remembered the end of that phone call like it was only yesterday. At the time, she had no idea why her sister had selected Lotus as an alias name to work under. It was near impossible for her to know that Nadia had been taunting her inability to save Sark on the day that he died.

She wouldn’t piece together the last bits of the puzzle that started on the day Sark died until a few months after she had her confrontation with Nadia on the day she was currently trying to commit to paper. It was hard to believe that the sister she had grown to love had always been so heartless and cruel. Nadia had done such a good job of pretending otherwise that no one had quite realized what she was capable of until it was too late.

The clock was still getting on her nerves as she realized that the first part of the story had taken her nearly forty-five minutes to write. She was just going to have to accept the fact that she would be getting no sleep that night...

Trying to put the phone call, and her sister in general, out of her head, Sydney went upstairs to get her daughter dressed for the pool. Vaughn was coming by with his daughter to take Lily out for a little birthday swim. Really it was just to get her out of the house so that Sydney could decorate, but the gesture was nice all the same.

She checked the answering machine quickly before going to her daughter’s room. She had really expected Will to call Lily on her birthday, but he hadn’t been the most reliable person in her life for years. Which was ironic, considering he used to be the only reliable person.

“Lily? Are you ready?” she called through the open doorway.

She smiled to herself as her four-year-old daughter hopped out of the closet in a little pink party dress and snow boots. Like a true Bristow, she had a knack for fashion. “Honey, I thought I told you that you were going to the pool with Uncle Mike. I don’t think you’re going to want to get your new dress wet.”

“I wanna!” Lily screamed, putting on her pout face.

“I’m sure you do. But I think there might be something better for you to wear.” Sydney pulled a package out from behind her back. “What is this?”

Sydney grinned at the memory on her daughter’s face as Lily opened up the new bathing suit she had bought her. It had taken her a few months, but on that day, she had finally figured out how to get Lily to wear the correct clothes for the occasion. Simply wrap up the old ones like they’re a new present, and give them to her about fifteen minutes before they are supposed to leave.

Placing the sixth page filled with words on top of all the others, she grabbed a new sheet and skipped ahead to after Lily had left with Vaughn...

The house was a complete disaster zone. She had approximately one hour to clean it up and one hour to decorate before people would start showing up for the party. She poured herself a glass of iced tea and took a survey of the messy living room. With a sigh, she set the glass down on the table by the window and got started.

“Well, I always did best under pressure,” she said, rummaging through the closet for the vacuum.

“You could say that again, sis,” came an all too familiar voice from behind her.

Sydney froze in horror as she realized that her father had been right. Hoping this wouldn’t end the way she thought it might, she turned to her sister. “Nadia. I’m sorry. Lily’s gone to the pool. You’re going to have to wait to wish her a happy birthday.”

“Cut the felgercarb, Syd. You and I both know that I’m not here to wish my niece a happy birthday.”

“Right. If I’m correct, you’re here to kill me?”

“You got it.” Nadia slid a gun out of her coat. “I didn’t really want it to come to this, Sydney.”

“It wouldn’t have had to if you had just stayed hidden. I mean, how can a prophecy come true if I don’t know where you are?”

“I have a feeling that if I didn’t show up today, you would have found yourself taking an unexplained and unexpected trip to Belize. Maybe to see your father for his granddaughter’s birthday?”

“I wouldn’t have done that. If you were watching me as closely as you should have, you should know that I would never take Lily out of this city.”

“Afraid the boogieman is going to come and take her away just like he did your husband?”

Sydney glared at her. “Leave Sark out of this. He has nothing to do with what’s between us.”

“Oh, I think he has everything to do with this situation. Everything.”

She threw the pen down. This was getting progressively harder to do. There was no good way to tell your daughter that you had killed her aunt without a thought to the consequences.

“I think a break is in order,” Sydney said.

She walked across the hall and was pleased to see that Lily was still asleep in her bed. There wasn’t a happier sight in the world than her daughter sleeping soundly without nightmares. Nights like these were few and far between.

Satisfied that Lily was all right, Sydney made her way downstairs to the kitchen, grabbing a drink from the refrigerator. Next she picked up the phone and dialed a familiar number.

“Hello?” Will answered groggily.

“Hi,” Sydney said. “I’m sorry to wake you.”

“No problem. Is something wrong with Lily?”

“No, nothing’s wrong.”

“Are you drunk, Syd?”

“Not entirely. God, I wish I was though.”

She could hear him sit up in bed on the other half of the line. “Okay. Tell me what’s going on right now before I feel obligated to hop in my car and break the speed limit getting over to your house.”

“I think that I’m going to have to tell Lily about Nadia’s death soon. So I thought maybe I should write it down. Compose my thoughts a little so I’ll be prepared when she starts asking questions. It seemed like a good idea at the time.”

“Until you started writing it and now all you are is upset.”

“Right.”

“Do you want me to come over and spend the night, Syd?”

“No, there’s no point. I’m going to be up the whole night trying to write this all down anyway.”

“Okay. Just checking. You can call me again later if you’re still upset.”

“Shouldn’t you be too busy with that?” she teased. “I mean, the Will Tippin I know wouldn’t be alone in his bed right now.”

“I’m a pretty pathetic bachelor. Imagine me spending a night alone.”

“Thanks, Will.”

“For what?”

“For coming back to me.”

“Oh now you’re going to make me cry, Syd.”

“Good night,” she said hanging up the phone with a laugh.

Knowing that she hadn’t really needed to call Will, that it was just a product of procrastination, she grabbed her glass and went back upstairs. She quickly reread the word she had written down and tried to think of way she could explain to Lily what happened next...

Sydney’s eyes narrowed at her sister’s obvious job at knowing something she didn’t. “What do you mean this has everything to do with Julian?”

“Oh come on!” Nadia laughed. It scared Sydney. “You honestly haven’t been able to put two and two together. It’s been four years, sis. I would have thought that would be plenty of time.”

“Time for what?”

“Time to realize that I was the one who killed your precious husband.”

Nadia’s words chilled her to the bone even to this day. Remembering them was one of the hardest things she had ever done. Sydney knew that she had to keep going, though, if she wanted to get it all down on paper. Another delay would cause her to stop completely...

“That isn’t possible. You weren’t there that day,” Sydney said. Oblivious to the fact that Nadia still had a gun trained on her, she walked across the room and sat down on the couch.

“Oh, believe me. I was the one who fired the bullet that pierced his heart.” Nadia laughed when she saw her sister begin to cry. “You really had no clue, did you?”

Blinking back the tears, Sydney stood up and walked over to Nadia. “Why the hell did you do it? What was so important that you needed to ruin my life to get it?”

“Funnily enough, it was you. I didn’t want to have to face the tough decision of whether or not I should kill my sister.”

“So you killed her husband instead? That is the worst logic I have ever heard. And the idea that you did it to try to save me is complete bulls***.”

“No, it’s not. I never wanted to have to kill you, Sydney. Since the moment you saved me from the prison, you have been nothing but good to me. When I was little I had always wanted a sister and surprise, surprise, I had one. So naturally I didn’t want to kill you.”

“You got over that one quickly.”

Nadia ignored her comment. “I knew the prophecy said that you and I were going to fight over your life’s meaning, whatever that was. So I figured the only way to avoid that was to get rid of your life’s meaning.”

“You’re trying to tell me that you destroyed my whole life for my sake?”

“Well, when you put it like that.”

Sydney took a break just short enough to pour herself another glass of whiskey. The previous two had begun to wear off, and she knew she needed the buzz. She sat down and got back down to work, praying silently that Lily wouldn’t wake up...

“I really thought I had gotten it right when I decided to hire those men to kill Sark. I had never seen a woman care for a man as much as you did for him. He seemed to be your whole life.” She smirked. “Turns out I got it wrong. It wasn’t him. It was the little brat.”

Nadia pushed the tip of her gun into her sister’s side and forced her down onto the couch. She then took a seat next to her. “You see, I had planned on having them both killed that day. Just to be sure, you know. I hired those men who were supposed to go in and do it.”

“Just like that?”

“Just like that.”

“Don’t you know things never work out that way?”

“I’m learning.” Nadia relaxed the gun a little. She knew that Sydney was too distraught to try anything right then. “The plan was simple. They were supposed to kidnap your daughter and bring her to me. Then, they were to shoot Sark and sent you on your way. Simple as that, I wouldn’t have to kill you down the road.”

“My life would have been destroyed completely.”

“It’s been destroyed numerous times. You would have rebuilt a new one in no time. It was the perfect plan to make sure that you and I never had to do this. But it didn’t work.”

“Because of Sark,” Sydney said finally understanding. “He figured out what was going on long before you expected him to. I think he may have even tried to warn me.”

“I think he did try. Good thing I was watching from above. It gave me a perfect shot to kill him. I was satisfied. I mean, I really didn’t think that Lily was the meaning of your life. Not when you loved that bastard so much.”

“You were wrong,” Sydney said defiantly. She got up and walked over to the window.

“There’s no one there for you to cry out to,” Nadia warned.

Sydney turned and gave her sister a look that sent shivers down Nadia’s spine. “I’m not the one who’s going to need help.”

Nadia had barely any time to react before Sydney had launched herself at her. They ended up on the ground, Sydney straddling her sister with her hands clutched hard around her sister’s throat. Nadia tried without success to break her sister’s tight hold, but it wasn’t working.

Then, for some reason, Sydney’s grip loosened a little. Nadia seized the opening to punch her sister hard in the jaw. The blow sent Sydney sailing off of her and onto the ground. Nadia began to cough as air flooded back into her lungs again.

Her eyes caught on the abandoned glass of tea that Sydney had gotten before this whole thing started. She grabbed the glass and gulped the whole contents down without a thought. The cool liquid felt amazing on her sore throat and neck. “Thanks, sis,” she said throatily.

“No problem,” Sydney said as she got to her feet.

Nadia picked up the gun she had temporarily dropped when Sydney had tackled her and pointed it at her again. “Well, that was a fun little break to the monotony of me killing you.”

She stretched out for a moment, now that she had gotten through most of the hard part. It was strange how in retrospect she found her sister’s confession a lot harder than Nadia’s actual death.

“It’s almost like I knew it was coming. Like it was inevitable,” she said to herself, trying to work this new thought out. “I think I might have believed the Rambaldi prophecy all along. Strange.”

Her eyes locked on the lotus flowers that she had put in a vase next to her bed. They were still a mystery to her.

“A mystery that I don’t have time to figure out right now,” she reminded herself. “Back to writing...”

“One question before we get into this,” Sydney said. “My father told me today that you’ve been going by the codename Lotus. Why?”

“I thought it was a nice throw back to your wedding. Remember the flower I picked out for you to put in your hair?”

Sydney nodded. So, it looked like her sister didn’t actually know the significance of picking the name Lotus. That it was Sark’s favorite flower. That it was Lily’s middle name. “Why would you want to remind me of my wedding?”

“I wasn’t reminding you. I was reminding myself. You and I were happy then. We had a good relationship.”

“That was before you got in too deep with your father. Before you gave up any chance at happiness.”

“I still have a chance.”

“No, you don’t. You never really did. And I’m sorry for that.”

“You’re happy so why can’t I be happy? I mean, at least my life has never been destroyed.”

“Your life was destroyed when you were little and our mother resigned you to being another one of Rambaldi’s pawns. You’ve spent every second since then trying to get back that life. I don’t think it’s possible, Nadia. You need to give up.”

“And you need to stop stalling. No one’s going to whisk in here and save you this time.”

“I don’t need anyone to save me. I can save myself.”

“You don’t have a gun.”

Sydney smirked. “I don’t need a gun.”

At the time, she hadn’t been surprised at her sarcasm and bravery. It always seemed to pop up when the situation got tough. Looking back on it now, she couldn’t understand how she had made it through. She didn’t know how she had found the courage to kill her only sister...

Nadia laughed at her sister as she clicked the safety off the gun. “I thought you would be a little more scared than this. I was even hoping for a few pleas for mercy. You do realize it’s over, Sydney?”

“Oh, it’s been over for a few minutes now.”

Nadia looked at her in confusion, unsure of what that comment was supposed to mean. “You puzzle me, Syd. I don’t know what to--”

Her voice cut off as her throat constricted slowly. She dropped the gun and brought both her hands up to her neck in an unconscious gesture to try to fix the situation.

Sydney summed up all the strength she had to smirk. “You think that I wasn’t ready for you, Nadia? I’m not stupid. I might not believe that Rambaldi was right. I might not have believed that you would actually be stupid enough to show up here expecting to take me down. Hell! I might not have believed that you were actually capable of it. But I wasn’t just going to sit there and let you walk all over me.”

“What did you do?” Nadia managed to choke out.

“I figured that you would be sloppy. I mean, killing your own sister isn’t something that’s easy.” Sydney pulled a jar out of her pocket. “It’s cyanide. My father gave it to me before he left for Belize. He picked it up during his time in the Congo. You know that Africa is just chock full of cassava root. All you have to do is ground a little bit up into a powder and you’re all set. My father was concerned that you’d come after me at the time. I have to remember to thank him.”

Nadia looked at her sister in fear. She couldn’t believe that Sydney didn’t seem affected by this act of murder.

As if reading her mind, Sydney smiled. “I know what you’re wondering. You’re thinking how someone who you thought was inherently good like myself could be capable of doing this to you. Well, I’ll tell you.” She took a seat next to her sister who was still gasping wildly for air. “Losing Sark has changed me quite a bit, Nadia. I had to die a little inside in order to move on with my life. I think I understand why my mother turned out the way she did now.”

Sydney rested her hand for a moment. Taunting Nadia had felt good at the time. She was so mad at her for actually letting Rambaldi control her destiny.

She looked out the window and noticed the sun peeking over the horizon. “Time to finish this thing up...”

Sydney looked down at her sister’s near-lifeless body. “You know, I think that if you had trusted me, we might have been able to avoid this. If you had just shown me the faith that I showed you. I could have helped you.” She pushed the tears that had finally begun to fall out of her eyes. “I’m sorry, Nadia.”

She watched in silence as her sister’s eyes closed and she stopped struggling. It was done.

Sydney could remember standing up and just staring at the scene in front of her for over half an hour. She couldn’t process what she had just done.

Eventually, she pulled it together and called her father. He arranged for a CIA team to come in quietly and remove all traces of Nadia having been to Sydney’s house that day. She was able to clean up and decorate her house before anyone arrived.

No one knew until days later what had gone on that day.

Sydney was staring out the window when she heard a small creak in one of the hall floorboards. She looked up at the doorway to her bedroom and saw her daughter standing there, staring. “Good morning, sunshine.”

“Morning, Mommy.” Lily walked into the room and climbed onto Sydney’s lap. “So what are we going to do today?”

“Anything you want, sweetheart. Anything you want.”

ooh. Great update. :D (y) :lol: :P ^_^ ;) :cool: :rolleyes: :smiley: :Ph34r: :asleep: :redhair: :angelic: :blush: :woot: :mellow: :confused: :eek: :love: :( :thinking: :o_O: :blink: :angelfly: :abduct: :angel2: 🎂 🐈 :cheers: :money: :jawdrop: :jump: :king: :kissme: 🐒 🛋️ :run: :Phonecall: :Playmusic: :poke: :popcorn: :pumpkin: :read: :cat:

I love smilies!!!!!

Wonderful! An update! :smiley:

Sydney’s eyes narrowed at her sister’s obvious job at knowing something she didn’t. “What do you mean this has everything to do with Julian?”

“Oh come on!” Nadia laughed. It scared Sydney. “You honestly haven’t been able to put two and two together. It’s been four years, sis. I would have thought that would be plenty of time.”

“Time for what?”

“Time to realize that I was the one who killed your precious husband.”

:angry: B****!!!! And I thought Nadia was a nice person! How could she kill him!?!?!?! I mean i know how, but you know...! Poor Syd! And did Lily get to know Sark? Because, frankly, I am a little comfused(and a little curious). I dont really get the timeline- When did Nadia kill Sark? I mean like was it a year from Lily's forth birthday?

:confused: It kinda threw me off, when Syd decided to write the story off Nadia's death. But I guess since you need to recall some sort of story in each chapter, but then again, I guess it shoudnt have. LOL! :lol:

I sorta wish she found out about who sent the flowers. I mean the question still remains, Who sent those ruddy LOTUS flowers!?!?!?!? Im still confused, Im starting to think that it wasnt Sark...(geez i hope im not right?) :thinking:

Plz update! I really want to get down to the bottom of whats going on in this story! (but I guess we all want to?) :blush:

Quick Timeline for anyone confused:

1. all that normal jazz leading up to a Sarkney marriage
2. Lily's born
3. relatively soon after Sark dies
4. Four years later, Syd kills Nadia
5. Three years later, present time of our story

I apologize if I wrote anything to contradict this. It gets a little confusing for me sometimes, especially when my brain is constantly shifting and reshifting plot points.

WOW. I'm actually crying. This is so sad, but Sark can't really be dead. Can he? Not if there's going to be a happy ending. Could I get a PM?
Anji

kidblink83 said:
Quick Timeline for anyone confused:

1.  all that normal jazz leading up to a Sarkney marriage
2.  Lily's born
3.  relatively soon after Sark dies
4.  Four years later, Syd kills Nadia
5.  Three years later, present time of our story

I apologize if I wrote anything to contradict this.  It gets a little confusing for me sometimes, especially when my brain is constantly shifting and reshifting plot points.
I know exactly what you mean! That's exactly how I confused everybody reading my fic (Like Father, Like Daughter <-- shameless story plug there!)

I've read this pretty much from the beginning, and it's probably going to end soon, but could I get a PM? Thanks so much!

-agent_kas

this has gotta be the saddest story out there... i mean i was like crying when she was at the grave a few chapters ago

great writing though!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for the pms!!!!!!!!!!

Author's note: Here's a brief recap since it took me so long to get on paper. Sydney had just spent the whole night writing down the story of the day she killed her sister in preparation of the time she knew was coming soon, aka the day she'd have to tell Lily that Nadia was dead. It picks up right where the last chapter ended.

Sydney set Lily down on the floor. “I distinctly remember telling you that we could go to the beach today. Why don’t you go get ready?”

Lily smiled at her mother. “You have to promise something.”

“What now?” she asked, feigning annoyance.

“I don’t want to go to the same beach that Uncle Will took us to.”

“No? Then what beach do you want us to go?”

“The one where you married Daddy.”

“Lily. That beach is over a two-hour drive.” Seeing the disappointed look on her daughter’s face, she almost lost it. “I guess it’s a good thing that we both got up so early.”

Her daughter squealed in delight and ran out of the room. Knowing that it usually took her daughter hours and hours to get ready, Sydney stretched out on her bed, finally letting her eyes shut. They popped back open as the doorbell rang. “Who the hell is here at this early hour?” she grumbled.

Next she heard Lily’s feet pad across the hall and down the stairs. “Don’t open it if it’s a stranger.”

“I know, Mommy,” Lily yelled up the stairs.

A minute later, she heard Will’s voice in her doorway. “That is one excited little girl you have.”

“I’m taking her to the beach where I got married,” Sydney said without opening her eyes. “What the hell are you doing here, Will?”

“You’re the one that called me at four in the morning. I put off coming over here for three hours. I think that was a pretty good feat.”

“I’m fine. Go home. Let me sleep.” Sydney was happy to hear Will begin to move but groaned when she felt the bed shift under his weight. “My bed is not your home.”

“God I wish it was.”

Sydney smiled and snuggled in close to her best friend. “Thanks for coming over.”

“Not a problem. Did you know that Lily is running her own bath right now?”

“I taught her to be self-sufficient. It comes in handy.”

“How’d the story writing go?”

“Good. I almost lost it when I had to write down Nadia’s admission that she killed Sark, but then, you know that. That was what made me break down and call you.”

“I figured as much.” Will yawned. “Which is why I’m here. I thought it might help you to tell me what exactly happened the day that Sark was killed. Thought it might help clear your head and move on.”

“I don’t want to move on,” Sydney said quietly.

“I thought you were over this, Syd. You know it’s unhealthy to dwell on it.”

She sat up and pointed over to her nightstand. “Do you see what that is? Those are flowers I found on my doorstep the night you brought Lily and I back from the beach. Do you know what kind they are?”

Will sat up and stared at the flowers for a moment. “Those are lotus flowers.”

“And do you know what that means?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Someone left those as a message to me. But I can’t decide what the message is.”

“Well, what could it be?”

“It could mean that Nadia’s still around somewhere. That I didn’t finish what I started three years ago.” Sydney put her head in her hands. “But it could also mean that Sark’s out there alive somewhere and he’s trying to let me know not to give up hope.” She paused. “I want that to be true so much.”

“I know you do. But he died in front of your eyes, Syd.” When she got a strange look on her face, he added, “Didn’t he?”

“Not exactly…”

Sark and Sydney had decided that a little bit of fresh air would be good for Lily. She had been crying non-stop since they brought her home from the doctor’s that afternoon. Plus, every once in a while, they both got slightly claustrophobic of the house and life they built together. People like them had a hard time adjusting to normalcy.

“I never dreamed that I would ever see those brilliant blue eyes on another person,” Sydney said as she look down at where her daughter slept in her stroller.

“Genetics is a funny thing,” Sark said with a laugh.

“So is the fact that I think you and I have become your Kodak family. I’m sure we look perfect to passersby.”

“Sydney, it’s eleven o’clock at night. There are no passersby.”

“And isn’t that how we like it?” She pulled him into a searing kiss. “What say we have a little reenacting of our first date?”

“You want me to take advantage of you against a tree?” She bit her lip and nodded. “I didn’t realize you enjoyed it so much the first time around.”

“I enjoy it every time around.”

Will looked over at her, a knowing grin on his face. “You sound like you were happy.”

“I was extremely happy once. I’m still happy in a way. I love Lily. She’s my heart and soul.”

“But you still miss your husband?”

“Every day, every hour, every minute…”

They walked a few miles in the happy, comfortable silence that had become the norm between them. As much as Sydney liked to joke about it, they had almost become the picture perfect family. And probably for the first time in either one of their lives, they were content.

“It’s funny how I’m no longer jumpy when we go out at night,” Sark said, breaking the hush.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, one would think my spy training would never really fade, that I would always be a little paranoid about any situation I am put in. But I’m not. At least, not anymore.”

“Me, too,” Sydney said with a smile at her husband. “It took me a while, but I think I’ve finally left that life behind. And I think the absence of paranoia might be because we’re happy. I don’t think you or I were happy before we started our life together.”

“I agree.” Sark leaned down and touched his daughter’s nose lightly. “And she is just an added bonus.”

Sydney was about to tease Sark about how much he had become a softie these days when her ears picked up an odd noise from the alley they had just passed. “Did you hear that?”

“You can’t just leave me hanging like that,” Will said, turning to face his best friend when she paused in her story.

“I don’t want to do this,” Sydney said. “I shouldn’t be dredging up these feelings. Everyone keeps telling me to put them behind me. Maybe I should take their advice and do that.”

“I think you should keep telling the story.”

“You would,” she said, narrowing her eyes at him. “You always enjoyed watching me in pain.”

“That’s a lie.”

“But it was fun to say.” Sydney paused as her ears picked up on something. “Do you still hear the water running?”

“Yes, your daughter is safe down the hall, taking a bath. You were just at the part where you thought you heard a noise in an alley…”

“I thought you said you weren’t paranoid anymore,” Sark kidded her.

“I’m not trying to be funny. I thought I heard the sound of a gun’s safety being released.”

“Must be flashbacks from the old days.”

Sydney grasped the baby stroller’s handles tightly and began to turn it back around in the direction they had come from. “I’m being serious, Julian. This isn’t some flashback to the way things were once. I heard something in that alley. I don’t think it’s safe to be out here anymore. Let’s go home.”

“Your instincts have never been wrong in the past. I‘ve learned to trust them. All right. If you’re that unnerved, we’ll go home.”

They only made it twenty feet before gun shots and violent shouts erupted from the alley in question. Sydney swore she overheard something about turf lines being crossed and protecting one’s position. By instinct alone, Sark pushed his wife and daughter up against the nearest building to keep them out of danger. Keeping them protected was the only thing on his mind. It was the only thing that mattered to him now.

“It seems we’ve stumbled into the bad part of town,” Sark said, his underlying excitement not too well hidden. He may be willing to give up his life to protect them, but he still felt a twinge of fond memories.

“You shouldn’t be so happy. It’s not just you and I running around town,” Sydney scolded as she lifted Lily out of the stroller. She paused and looked at the scene playing out slightly in front of them in confusion for a brief second.

Sark took her words to heart and got serious. First, he pushed her through the unlocked doors of the building they had been leaning up against. Once they were out of earshot of the men shouting outside in the alley, she turned to him, “Something’s wrong with the scene out there.”

“What was wrong?” Will asked.

“The men were shouting about turf lines being crossed. I knew for a fact that Sark and I hadn’t stumbled into a major gang activity area. In fact, we were far from it. That was why we choose the neighborhood to live in that we did. It was as safe as you could get.”

“But weren’t you out for a walk? You could have walked a little too far away from home without realizing it.”

“Not possible. Not Sark and I. Not when it came to the matter of Lily’s safety.”

“I still don’t get how that was so odd. Things can be carried over from the bad part of town to the good parts. I report about it every day for the paper.”

“Whatever was happening outside had nothing to do with feuding gangs. I was sure of that. And I also had a nasty feeling that it had everything to do with Lily.”

“You were scared about the Rambaldi prophecy.”

“I knew it was only a matter of time before the whole prophecy came back to bite me in the ass. My life had been going so well. It was about time something screwed it up. I just didn’t realize how bad it was about to get…”

“We need to get out of here now,” Sark said, once he realized what Sydney was insinuating.

“And how are we supposed to do that? We’re stuck in a building that we have never been in before. The men we heard outside know we’re in here, and they’re probably watching the doors at this very moment. So, we can’t go out that way. But we need to get out of this building as soon as possible.”

“Impossible situations are our forte,” Sark said without much thought. He turned to Sydney. “But you have a feeling that this is where they wanted us to go, don’t you?”

“I haven’t had one of my instinctual feelings like this since I left the CIA. They’re what kept me from dying on numerous missions. In fact, they’re probably the only reason I beat you on so many countless occasions. So, I’ve learned over the years not to doubt them, Julian. And right now, I’m getting a feeling that if we don’t get out of this building as soon as possible, something bad is going to happen.”

Sark didn’t answer. He just grabbed his wife’s wrist, being careful not to jostle the young girl in her arms, and pulled her along the hallway while searching for an alternative exit for them to use. “There has to be a back way out.”

“I pulled him to a stop after what seemed like miles and miles of hallway. We were going nowhere…”

“I think that was our only way out.”

“We can’t stop here,” Sark said, continuing to pull on her. “Give me Lily if you’re getting tired.”

“I’m not,” Sydney said. She couldn’t let go of her motherly instinct to protect her daughter. “Who do you think is doing this?”

“It could be anyone we crossed in the past. You and I both know that the list of our enemies is practically endless. We always knew there would come a day when our old life interrupted the new one we built.”

“But I don’t want that to happen.”

“It’s not something we can control. Go through there.” Sark pointed to a door.

When Sydney opened it, she realized that it was a stairwell. “Where do you think this takes us?”

“Up or down.”

“Now is not the time to be sarcastic,” she scolded, only half serious.

“I’m always sarcastic.”

“After we entered that stairwell, we both didn’t speak a word to each other. I think we were both racking our brains to try to figure out what exactly was going on and how we could get out of another impossible situation.”

“Did you ever think it might have just been paranoia? That maybe no one was coming after you?”

“I would have chalked it all up to paranoia, except every once in a while Sark or I would hear a noise like someone was following us. We knew that there was something drastically wrong with the situation.”

“This whole thing seems like a horribly bad horror movie that you see at three o’clock in the morning.”

“I wouldn’t believe it if I hadn’t lived it. There was someone following us. They didn’t want us to escape that building. It was almost as if they were stalling for time.”

“They were stalling, weren’t that?”

“Yes, they were stalling for their boss to arrive. She had gotten tangled up in a prior appointment with her father…”

There was a horrible tug in the bottom of Sydney’s stomach as Sark stopped in his tracks. “What’s wrong? We have to keep going if we’re going to make it.”

“It all makes sense,” Sark mumbled as he turned to her. “It all makes sense, Syd.”

“What makes sense?” she said, holding Lily a little tighter to her breast. Sark was scaring her.

“Everything. Being lured here, the timing, it seeming like whoever is out there is stalling, us not being able to find an exit. It all makes sense.”

“Have you ever wondered what our lives would be like if Sark were still in them?” Sydney asked abruptly.

“I can’t say that I have,” Will said honestly.

“I think about it every day. Would I have had the strength to kill my sister if she hadn’t taken something so dear to me away? If she hadn’t admitted to killing Sark that day, would I have been able to make myself so cold-hearted that I could murder my own flesh and blood?”

“Sydney. Thoughts like that are going to drive you to insanity.”

She laughed. “I know. I don’t let myself dwell on them too much.”

“That’s good to hear.” Will sighed and leaned back onto the bed. “So, what do you think would have happened if Nadia hadn’t killed him that day?”

“I think things would have been considerably different. For starters, I think Nadia’s suspicions that Sark was the meaning of my whole life would have been right.”

“That’s impossible. Rambaldi predicted that your first born would play that role in the prophecy.”

“No, he never really pinned down who the person or thing would be. I think that the only reason that it was Lily was because Sark was dead. With him out of my life, she was the only thing I had. If Nadia hadn’t been impatient, if she had managed to wait until Lily was four years old, then killing Sark would have kept me from killing her. It would have made the idea of a fight to the death between me and her obsolete.”

“There’s one thing wrong with that theory. The confrontation between you and Nadia happened on Lily’s fourth birthday. If she wasn’t your life’s meaning, it wouldn’t have happened that day.”

“Exactly. It wasn’t supposed to happen that day. It was supposed to happen a lot sooner. The fourth anniversary of my marriage to Julian, to be precise.” Sydney smiled weakly. “I’ve had a lot of time to think this out, Will. I know I’m right. Nadia and I were supposed to have a fight to death, and I think it was going to be over Sark.”

“You and your sister were going to kill one another over Julian Sark? That doesn’t seem likely.”

“She was going to fall in love with him,” Sydney said simply.

“What?” Will screamed.

She shushed him. “The water might still be running, but need I remind you I have an impressionable daughter within hearing distance.”

“Sorry,” he apologized, looking sheepish.

“No. It’s quite all right. It’s a natural reaction.”

“But how are you so sure that Nadia was supposed to fall in love with Sark?”

“It’s the only thing that would make sense. Nadia and I never had a perfect sisterly relationship, but it wasn’t so horrible that we hated each other. We missed the crucial years when a strong bond could have been formed. I was still trying to figure out who she was as a person when I was forced to kill her. I think that the only thing that could have driven us to such an extreme point is a man.”

“And that man was Sark?”

“Nadia would have kept a constant watch on my life. She would have desperately wanted to know what the answer to the Rambaldi riddle was. Eventually, I believe she would have developed a fascination with my husband that would bridge into what she thought was love.”

“She was going to try to take him away by force. And that was the reason you killed her.”

“I’m fiercely protective of the things that are good in my life. I won’t let anyone take that away from me.”

“And rightfully so, Syd. Every person has an innate right to protect the things they cherish.”

“That was the last right that Sark exerted,” Sydney said, the sadness apparent in her voice. “He was trying to protect me. He was trying to warn me…”

“It was her all along. She’s been playing both of us for fools,” Sark mumbled. He looked Sydney in the eyes. “But we know now.”

“I don’t know what you‘re trying to tell me,” Sydney said frustrated. “I don’t know.”

There was a small whiz by her ear. She noticed Sark stiffen slightly, and she saw pain flash across his face. Looking down, she caught sight of a small red patch that was spreading slightly across the white of Sark’s shirt. “What is that?” she asked hesitantly.

He looked at her in confusion and sorrow. Without a word, he crumpled to the ground.

“No. No. No. No. No.” She just kept repeating the same word over and over as she sat down on the ground, looking at her husband as the energy slowly drained from his body. “Get up, you stupid bastard. We have to keep moving if we’re going to get out of here.”

“I don’t know how he did,” Sydney said. She looked over at Will, and he saw the tears gleaming in her eyes. “Somehow he gathered up the will to stand.”

“I think you gave him a few good things worth trying for.”

She smiled. “Thank you.”

“What happened next?”

“We didn’t get very far…”

Sark braced himself against the side of the wall. “The exit we came in through has to be unguarded by now. She sent those men here to kill me, and they’ve done their job.”

“You’re not dead.”

“Not yet,” he said, wincing in pain. “But I’m slowing you down, Sydney.”

“What do you expect me to do? Just leave you behind and make a run for it?”

“Things would be a lot easier if I knew you would do just that.”

“And things would also have been a lot easier if I wasn’t born a Bristow and a Derevko. We can’t all get what we want. I’m not leaving you.”

She saw him grimace in pain as he righted himself again. “Fine. Go through there.” He pointed through a nearby doorway.

Knowing she had won their small argument, she didn’t hesitate to follow him command. She took a few steps through the doorway but turned immediately when she realized that Sark wasn’t following her. “Come on. We need to hurry if we’re going to get out of here.” She started moving a few steps again.

“Sydney,” Sark said weakly.

She turned back to face him and was frightened to see the way he appeared. He wasn’t going to make it much farther.

With his last bit of energy, he reached up and slammed his hand hard into a panel on the wall. A glass panel slid in front of the doorway, effectively cutting him off from her. Letting out a sigh, he used the wall to slide down off of his feet. He looked intently at Sydney. “I love you. I want you to always know that.”

“What have you done?” she asked, placing her hand lightly on the glass barrier. “What have you done?”

“And I will always find you,” he whispered as his eyes slid shut.

She stared in horror as she watched his breathing slow to a near standstill. He was dying, and she couldn’t get to him. The anger and frustration welled up inside of her finally burst out. “I’m not leaving you behind,” she screamed. “I refuse to leave you behind.”

“The screaming woke up Lily,” Sydney explained. “I guess you can say that was the exact moment when she took over my life’s meaning. Her screams snapped me back to reality.” She shook her head as Will reached out to wipe away her tears. “I was so stupid. I gave up hope.”

“You left.”

“I left.”

The two best friends sat in silence. There wasn’t much else to say.

“I’m ready,” Lily said from the doorway.

Sydney said up with a start and tried to wipe the noticeable tears out of her eyes. “Okay, baby. Uncle Will and I were just finishing.”

“Is something wrong?” she asked innocently.

“No,” Will said, standing up. “Everything’s just fine. Your mommy and I were just talking about the old days. We both were getting a little sentimental. Tell you what. You run downstairs and whip up some of your famous bowls of cereal, and we can all have breakfast together before you leave for the beach.”

“The beach where Mommy and Daddy got married,” Lily corrected.

“Right.” Contented, Lily left Will and her mother alone again.

“So why’d you get rid of the squirt?” Sydney asked as she started to fix her hair in the mirror.

“Because you still have one thing to tell me. What do you think those flowers mean?”

“I have no idea.”

“But you hope…” he prodded.

“I hope that Sark was telling me the truth when he said he would always find me.”

“But you thought he was dead for almost seven years, Syd. How can he maybe be alive all of the sudden? You saw him die.”

“And they recovered his body from the rubble of the building after it had been burnt down. I should have known if my sister was behind it all, the thoroughness wasn’t that out of the ordinary.” Sydney sighed. “But they also recovered my body from the fire in the apartment I shared with Francie. I wasn’t dead.”

Will nodded and stood up. “That’s a good enough answer for now. We better get downstairs before your little demon spawn gets Corn Pops and milk all over the counter.”

They went downstairs, and Sydney was happened to see her daughter had not gotten into any sort of trouble. Breakfast went by without a hitch with her trying her best not to think about the two hardest days of her life that had both been dredged up in the past twelve hours. Will let himself out as Sydney was loading her daughter into her SUV.

“Why don’t you nap, sweetheart, while I drive down? We don’t want you crashing in the middle of the beach. I don’t think I have enough energy to drag you home.”

Lily laughed. “Whatever you say, Mommy.”

Sydney winked at her daughter and pulled out of the driveway.

She had a lot to think about during the two-hour drive to the beach she had visited since the day Sark had died. It was just too painful to see it and remember how great her life could have been. But because her daughter wanted to, she was going to have to face her fears. It was time.

In the back of her mind, she ran through the possibility that her husband hadn’t died that day seven years ago. It was quite possible that someone had set up his death, but she couldn’t figure out why.

“Maybe I was wrong about the Rambaldi timetable,” she said, working a few things out by saying them out loud. “Maybe Nadia was already in love with my husband by the time Lily was born. Maybe she stole him like the Covenant stole me. He might be out there somewhere, brainwashed. But I can’t be running around the world searching for him. I have our daughter to think about.” She growled in frustration. “And he might not even be out there.”

Sighing, she tried to clear her mind and think of less troubling things, at least for the next few hours. “We’re here,” she said loudly, waking up Lily.

Lily yawned and smiled at her mother. “Yay!” she said with a childlike glee.

Sydney got out of the car and opened the rear passenger door to let her daughter out. “So, what prompted you to want to come all the way out here, kid? I’m dying to know.”

“It was something Ray Lopez said to me on the playground a few days ago.”

She smiled. Ray was the grocery clerk who ran a small cart/shop on the edge of the neighborhood park. He did Sydney a favor a few times a week by watching Lily while she played to give Sydney a break. “What did Ray say?”

“He said he was talking to a man who was buying fruit the other day. Ray said the man kept looking at me and when he asked what was the matter, the man said I reminded him of his daughter. He hadn’t seen her in seven years.”

“And this prompted you to ask me to take you here? I don’t understand.”

“I wasn’t done ‘splaining yet,” Lily scolded. “The man was telling Ray about all the romantic things he did with his wife when they were together. Ray was saying how inonnic-”

“Ironic,” Sydney corrected.

“-ironic it was that the man had also gotten married on the same beach you and Daddy did. That got me thinking that I had never seen it for myself.”

Sydney grabbed Lily’s hand as they started walking across the sand and stone. “Sometimes you talk like a grown-up. It worries me.”

Lily smiled up at her mother. “I love you, Mommy.”

“I love you, too, sweetie.”

“And I love Daddy, too.”

“I think he knows that wherever he is.”

Sydney began to lay out the blankets she had packed in with their stuff. She had only gotten one large one down on the sand before a voice interrupted her.

“Excuse me, miss?”

She straightened up to see a young teenager looking at her expectantly. “Yes?”

“I’m supposed to give you these.” He held out a bouquet of lotus flowers.

“Who the hell are you?” Sydney spit out as she hesitantly took the flowers out of his hand.

“Don’t get mad at me, lady. That man over there paid me twenty bucks to come over, hand those to you, and point him out.”

She looked over at where the young man was pointing. The flowers fell slowly to the ground.

“Who’s the man, Mommy?” Lily said, taking Sydney’s hand.

Sydney took a deep breath and blinked back her tears. “That’s your daddy. He’s finally come home, Lily.”

THE END

*sniffles. ok breaks into complete tears!* :depressed:
:beerdrink: That was a great ending! Very emotional!(i think im talking about fic? or me? Probably both. :lol: )YOU MUST CREATE A SEQUEL! OR AN EPILOGUE AT LEAST! :Please:

:lol: Squee! :throb: Lily and Syd got their man back! :2love: ^_^ I was going to bombard you with lots and lots of questions, but well, somehow it seemed rather... inappropriate- dont ask me why i felt that way, cos well, i dont really know why. Wow...We finally know how he died! And hes alive! For hes a jolly good fellow, for hes a jolly good fellow...-ok i could go on forever and i dont think you'd want that!

To wrap it all up, very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very good chapter! 👍 :cheers: :rockon:

Sydney took a deep breath and blinked back her tears. “That’s your daddy. He’s finally come home, Lily.”

HURRAY!!! :woot: GAH!!!!!! YOU MUST MUST MUST MUST WRITE SOME KIND OF SEQUEL! AHH!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Wow that was amazing!!! HE'S ALIVE! AH! :woot: :woot:

You better write a sequel or something! OR ELSE! Mu haha! :Ph34r: :P :lol:

Oh wow....so fantastic! I luuurrrved it! (y) :blush:

Thanx for the PM! (GO GET ON WRITING THAT SEQUEL!) :P

--Mel :drive:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE"S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You HAVE to write a sequel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You HAVE to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE'S ALIVE!!!!!!

that was fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm crying...really crying! Tears are running down my cheek!!

That was beautiful. Just gorgeous. And a sequel should be in order(if your muse comes back... :D )

Author's note: Well, I have to apologize. I have come to realize that yes, it was a little abrupt to end it that way. I guess you can chalk it up to my lack of motivation in writing the last part and my desire for it to turn out exactly like I envisioned. I mean, I knew that this was going to be the last part for weeks. Most of you had no idea... so sorry! Anyway, your responses made me realize that it was rather abrupt, and I didn't really like the way the story felt at the end. So I wrote a quick epilogue with a promise of a sequel someday soon.

Epilogue

Sydney shut the door to Lily’s bedroom softly. It had taken her close to a half of an hour to calm her daughter down and get her to go to bed. The only way she had succeeded was when Sark agreed to read his daughter a bedtime story after promising her he would be there in the morning when she woke up.

She turned to the man in question, who was leaning against the hallway wall. “So what do we do now?”

“I don’t know,” he said, rubbing his temples. “I didn’t think this one through.”

“That’s for damn sure. You just show up out of the blue. I thought you were dead,” she hissed quietly, her anger extremely evident. “How could you let me think you were dead for seven years?”

“There were extenuating circumstances.”

“Oh really?” Sydney rolled her eyes and walked past him and down the hall. He had been back in her life for a handful of hours, and he was already infuriating her. It seemed like, at the heart of their relationship, nothing had changed.

Without a word, he followed her into the room they had once shared together. He watched as she sat down on the bed and stared at him. “This is going to be a difficult few minutes,” he thought, reminding himself that the situation was very delicate. Sydney had been delivered an awful shock, seeing him on the beach.

“Where were you?” she started.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” he said with a smirk.

“It doesn’t matter if I’ll believe you because you’re going to tell me no matter what. I have a very confused daughter to contend with because of you. The least you could do is explain where you’ve been so I can decide if I want you back in my daughter’s life.”

“Our daughter,” Sark corrected. “She’s our daughter, and you can’t honestly want to keep me out of her life.”

Sydney sighed. “No, I wouldn’t do that. You’re right. But I need to know where you’ve been.”

“Well, I spent a year in a drug induced coma, one year relearning how to walk, three years locked up in a facility in Buenos Aires, sixteen months trying to finish up the whole Rambaldi mess, and eight long months trying to remember who the hell I was.” He paused. “Not necessarily in that order.”

“You went through all that,” she said, staring at him in a sort of sympathetic horror.

“I went through all that alone in the seven years I was away from you and Lily. And you know what kept me going?”

She shook her head, not even wanting to guess the answer to that question.

“Knowing that no matter what changed, when it was finally time to come home, you’d be here.”

“You never once thought I would have moved out of this house? There are so many memories in these walls.”

“I know it must have been painful for you, but I never doubted for a moment that you would leave. This house was probably your last connection to me. You wouldn’t leave it.” He sat down on the bed next to her and grasped her hand. It was a relief when she didn’t jump away or punch him.

“I didn’t,” she said, staring at the now wilting vase of lotus flowers. She looked over at the man she had once loved with all her heart. “You have a lot of explaining to do still.”

“And I will do it.” He traced the line of her jaw lightly with his fingers and was pleased to see her close her eyes and breathe in sharply. “In time.”

“We both need time, don’t we?” she said, opening her eyes.

Realizing what she must be implying, he stood up. “I’ll give you as much time as you want, Sydney.” He walked to the bedroom doorway before turning around to look at her. “I’m sorry it took me seven years to get here.”

She smiled and stood up from the bed. “Where do you think you’re going, mister?”

“I have a nice motel room I’m currently paying thirty-nine ninety-five for on the other side of town.”

“Don’t be stupid,” she said, glaring at him. “I might be a little mad at you right now, but this is your home.”

“Is it?” he said, hopeful of her answer.

“It never stopped,” she said with a smile. She held her arms out. “Now, come here, Julian. I’ve missed you.”

He laughed and pulled her into his arms. She giggled when she felt him sniff her hair. “I missed the smell of you,” he explained.

“Did you really think I was going to kick you out of your own house, you idiot?” she asked after a moment.

“I told myself to expect the worse.”

“Which was?”

“You happily married to another man who had adopted my daughter and was raising her as his own.”

Sydney looked shocked. “That was the worst you could imagine?”

“That is the one and only thing that would ever make me want to die. If I can’t have you and Lily, my life doesn’t really mean a thing.”

“Let’s go to bed,” she suggested. She pointed over at the dresser. “If you look in the third drawer from the top, I think you’ll find something very familiar to sleep in.”

He slid open the drawer. “You kept some of my clothes.”

“I kept all of your clothes,” she corrected. “Most of them are in boxes in the basement. Those are the ones I couldn’t bear to pack up.”

Sark sniffed a t-shirt lightly. “They smell like you.”

“That’s because I’ve been wearing them for seven years,” she said with a laugh, sitting down on the bed again. “Now change. I’m tired.”

He smirked at her and began to loosen his belt. When she averted her eyes, he almost burst out laughing. “I don’t think there’s anything here you haven’t seen.”

She laughed but didn‘t turn to look at him. “I feel like we’re starting over again.”

“I know the feeling. It’s been a long time.” He paused to think. “But I don‘t think I‘ve ever forgotten the way your body feels against mine.”

He was pleased to see her face flush slightly. There was ground he had to make up, but he had a feeling that they were making progress. “You can turn around now. I‘m done.”

She turned back to face him and smiled. “It’s nice to see you in those clothes again.”

“It’s nice to be in these clothes again.” He sat down on the bed next to where she was laying. “Do you want me to sleep on the couch?”

“You’re being stupid again,” she scolded. She reached out for his hand and pulled him down so that he was lying next to her with his arm placed comfortably around her waist.

For a few minutes they just lay in silence, neither one knowing the proper thing to say. Sark noticed Sydney shift her head so that it was buried mostly in the pillow. “What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” she mumbled through the pillow.

“Look at me, Sydney,” he ordered.

“No,” she said, still not moving.

He reached out and gently turned her head so that she was looking him in the eye. “Are you crying?”

“No.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not,” she insisted defiantly. He wiped a tear away with his finger and held it out for her to see. “Maybe I am.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m happy, you moron. This is something I never thought I’d experience again. It’s something I’ve dreamed about for two thousand, six hundred and twenty two days.”

“Two thousand, six hundred and twenty three,” he corrected. “You forgot to count today.”

Before she could say anything back, there was a small knock on the door. “Come in, munchkin,” Sydney called.

Lily bounded into the room and up onto the bed. “I couldn’t sleep.”

“And why is that?” Sydney asked.

“I was afraid that Daddy wouldn’t be here if I fell asleep.”

“He’s still here,” Sydney said, pointing to the man next to her. “See?”

Lily wormed her way in between her two parents. “Can I sleep with you guys tonight?”

“What do you think, Daddy?” Sydney said, trying to hold in her laughter.

He pulled Lily into his arms. “I think I missed my two girls desperately.”

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'm so happy you decided to do an epilogue! And a sequel!!!!! :woot: :woot: :blush:

That was so good....I can't wait for the sequel!

“That is the one and only thing that would ever make me want to die. If I can’t have you and Lily, my life doesn’t really mean a thing.

awww :blush: ^_^

Thanx for the PM! and feel free to PM me when the sequel is up!

--Mel :drive:

Yay!! An epilogue!! And a sequel!! YES!! :woot: :woot:

THat was awesome!!! (y)

Pleasepleasepleaseplease PM me when you do the sequel.. :smiley:

Goodies! An Epilogue!, and a soon sequel! Squeal! Home sweet home, aint nothing like it, Sark...
:woot: Ooh! PM me when you create the sequel! Im excited! :blush:

WOW, this story is soooo good, I kept hoping that Sark was alive and he'd come back.Loved the flashbacks to when they were together.Lily's so adorable.I can't wait for the sequal, when you do it could you please PM me?

~Rach~

ok im completely NOt a sarkney fan but aht WHOLE story was beautiful..you made me cry liek twice...if you can make a s/v shipper cry, that has to say something doesnt it...

all i have to say is one single word, WOW!

Back