A Very Bristow Christmas

lenafan

Cadet
AUTHORS NOTE: I am sure someone has written a Christmas story involving the Bristows, but this is my story. This is a separate story with no connection to others I’ve written…except for a tiny bit…
SUMMARY: Irina is alone in her cell. The cellblock is almost dead quiet as the U. S. Marshals are off, leaving only one man on duty until evening. The Rotunda somewhere above her is also quiet with only a skeleton crew staffing the information data and action screens, although they, too, are silent. It is Christmas Eve, of course. Sydney and Jack are gone to celebrate with Vaughn, Dixon, Marshall, Will, and Francie at Francie’s Restaurant.
TIMELINE: Sometime in the early winter, after Passages I and II and before Phase One.
RATING: R
The characters depicted belong to JJ Abrams and ABC Television.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>A VERY BRISTOW CHRISTMAS</span>By Lenafan

Irina sat on her bunk, legs crossed, reading. Some wag at CIA Headquarters had deemed it necessary to censor the books she could read. He had given the list to Kendall whose job it was to see she read only those approved books. Tolstoy’s War and Peace was one of them. Fascinated by the story, Irina was almost a third through the book. When she was growing up, these were among books banned by the Communists. She was recruited by the KGB, who sent her to Central City, the American training center for spies and she read no Russian literature. Her life had been such following her escape from the United States that these books never came into her possession.

Now the U.S. Government was letting her read them. She was delighted, although it would not do to let Kendall know. She was deep into the book when John, the Marshal left in charge, because he had no family, entered the cellblock.

She looked up when he appeared in the window next to the end of her bunk. “Hello,” she said with a smile. She had cultivated his friendship so he would tell her about Sydney and her missions. Irina was good at gleaning information from anyone.

“Merry Christmas,” he answered.

“So it is,” she answered with a smile. “I guess that’s why there’s no noise coming from anywhere.” She shut the book.

“I have your dinner.” He wheeled a cart over to the door. Irina kept her seat until he had the cart inside. That was procedure. She was to remain seated every time the door opened. She never broke the rule.

“Thank you.”
He locked the cell again. “Enjoy. I’ll be back in thirty minutes.”

Irina ate almost without tasting and read as she ate. The time went by quickly and John was back sooner than she thought he would.

“You finished,” he asked.

“Yes.” She moved the cart close to the door and returned to her bunk. John removed the cart. He paused at the window. “Listen, you have…” then he stopped, remembering she was a prisoner—a killer and spy. What did she care about Christmas?

Irina smiled at his hesitation, knowing he wasn’t sure what to say. “John, thank you. You are a good person. I will try not to escape or cause a riot tonight, I promise.” She laughed.

He laughed aloud and shaking his head. “Yeah, you better be careful. I’m tough on jailbirds.”

“Good night, John,” said Irina watching him move out of sight.

“Good night,” he called back, “and Merry Christmas!”

Overcome by an emotion she had forgotten, the joy of the holiday and what it meant, Irina lay down on the bunk, the open book folded across her chest.

As Laura Bristow, a wife and mother, she became emotionally involved in the weeks before Christmas holiday. The tree had to be just right and Jack always took care of that. They had to be sure Sydney didn’t try climbing the tree, so the first two Christmases, they put the tree in her playpen. They had had so much fun decorating and trimming. Sydney was the perfect child. She gazed awestruck at the lights, the garland, and the different colored balls hanging from the branches. She was more fun to watch. She was like any other child, eager to open her presents, especially when she was nearing her fourth birthday.

“Mommy,” Sydney cried. “Can’t I open one now?”

“No, Sydney, you have to wait for the morning.” Laura hugged her close. “Santa Claus will be coming and you will have more presents from him.” She looked at Jack fondly who was adding the last row of garland. He always wanted to do that part of the tree trimming. Laura had agreed after botching the first garland trim she tried. Although she would never tell him the reason…she was from a Godless country that did not celebrate Christmas. She kissed Sydney on the cheek. “I’m sure your father will agree.”

Jack grinned, “Sydney, we’ll all wait until morning.”

“But don’t you want to open a present too?” She glanced at a large package nearby that had his name on it. The card bore a carefully printed, “DADDY” on it. Sydney and Laura had shopped for a very special gift.

“Tomorrow, sweetheart.” He took her from Laura, lifting her up over his head. “Give me a kiss.”

Sydney planted a wet kiss on his mouth. “When can I get up?”

Jack held her in one arm, offering his other to Laura, who took it and stood up. He put his arm around her shoulder. “I think when Mommy and Daddy do.”

Irina sighed as memories of Christmas crowded back into her mind. Those had been some of the happiest she thought. Of course, there was that last Christmas, eleven months before she ‘died.’ Sydney was five almost six. She was showing her extraordinary intelligence. She had gone from kindergarten into the first grade almost less than a month after starting school. She was more mature for her age than the other children and became bored with what the teacher taught, especially since she already knew it.

The principal at the school was worried about her joining the first grade and not being able to catch up, but meeting the Bristows made her realize why Sydney had progressed so far. When they entered her office, Miss Iris Schulman felt overwhelmed by a feeling she was meeting two very extraordinary people. She soon found out that Laura Bristow was a Professor of English Literature at UCLA and Jack Bristow worked for the government in a capacity he would not reveal. They assured her that promoting Sydney was fine with them. Their daughter, they said, was mature for her age. Miss Schulman agreed having spent some time observing Sydney in her classroom.

That was in October. By Christmas time, Sydney was doing exceptionally well, delighting her First Grade teacher, Jo Marsh, who had been reluctant to give the little girl the chance and then doing a 180-degree turn as Sydney fit in with the class like a hand in a glove.

It was 1980 and all of the Bristows were going to be home for Christmas. Jack had been gone the year previously on assignment, but now he was home. They went shopping for a tree and had a party trimming it. Sydney put on all the ornaments from as far as she could reach down to the bottom branches. Laura had more fun watching her than doing any of it herself. She adored her little girl as did Jack. When they finished the tree, Jack took pictures of it with Sydney and Laura; then Laura took some of him and Sydney.

Later on that week, the family went present shopping. Laura and Sydney shopped for Jack. Jack and Sydney shopped for Laura. One night they left Sydney with a babysitter to shop for her and for Santa’s gifts too, including a bicycle. Jack assured a concerned Laura that Sydney had great sense of balance. After all, she was taking ballet and gymnastics wasn’t she?

The night before Christmas, Sydney was excited to think Santa Claus would soon visit. She ran into the kitchen to be sure Laura had cookies out on a plate with a glass of milk. Santa would be hungry. Jack was at the office still, not working, but putting the bicycle together with Arvin’s help. The other toys they had purchased were not as tricky as the bike. Jack told Sydney he would be home in time to tuck her into bed, but she better mind or Santa wouldn’t come.

True to his word, Jack came home about eight. He was hungry, but while Laura fixed him leftovers, he went to Sydney’s room to read her a story and kiss her goodnight.

Irina stared up to the ceiling of her cell. The room was cold and sterile. It was not an environment conducive to a celebration of the holiday. She closed her eyes and let herself go back to that last Christmas…

“She’s in bed and I hope asleep.” Jack entered the kitchen.

Laura turned from the stove and smiled. “Thank you, sweetheart. Did you get it finished?”

“Yes, Arvin helped me.”

Laura turned and opened the oven door. She pulled out a plate with a hot pad and put down in front of him. “That’s nice of him,” she commented. She did not tell Jack about Arvin’s recent phone call. In fact, she did not want to think about it either. He wanted her to meet him at a hotel for drinks next week. He wouldn’t tell her why.

Jack took a bite of the lasagna and smiled. Laura was not the best cook in the world, but she had gotten a recipe from Emily for her lasagna and she did an excellent job of following it. It was delicious. “This is good, darling. As soon as I finish, we can bring in the Santa surprises.”

She stood behind Jack, rubbing the back of his neck and fondling his wavy hair. She was feeling sexy and wanted him tonight. He reached up with his right hand, pulled her to her chair on the right. “Sit down, woman, and let me finish this.”

Laura sat watching him. She felt hot desire wash over her. That phone call from Arvin Sloane at noon was disturbing. She had been married almost ten years and she managed to keep her personal life and her ’extra’ job separated by living two lives. She knew she could not think about what Arvin Sloane wanted to see her about tonight. It was Christmas Eve and she wanted Jack. Sydney would be asleep. She watched Jack take his last bite, then stood and cleared the table.

“What no dessert?” He said.

“I’m it,” she whispered, smiling at him.

He stood, staring at her. Laura saw desire cross his face. There was something else in his eyes. She could not discern what it was. Then, he pulled her into his arms, “I suggest,” he breathed into her ear, “that we get Sydney’s Christmas from the car before we satisfy our own Christmas wish.” His left hand moved briefly over her breasts and then between her legs, making a promise of more to come.

They worked swiftly. Jack brought in everything and Laura set the gifts around the tree so they were prominently displayed for Sydney when she awakened in the morning. Even though Jack was not here the year before, she saw to it then there were many gifts around the tree for their little girl. Finally, Jack rolled in the bicycle and put the kickstand down. It was pink with a basket and bell. He knew Sydney would be so excited when she saw it. She had asked Santa at the local department store for one and Laura told Jack.

“Come here, Laura,” Jack pulled her away from the tree to the wide opening to the room from the hall.

She moved into his arms. As he stared into her eyes, Laura saw the flicker of the unknown in them. What was it? She said nothing and smiled invitingly, opening her mouth slightly, breathing heavily. Jack bent down and kissed her. Laura kissed him back, her tongue moving across his teeth and then as he opened his mouth wider, she felt his hands pull her blouse up in the back from the slacks she was wearing. They moved to her bra and unhooked it. As he did so, her hands moved to the zipper on his pants. She drew it down, slowly.

“Not yet,” he breathed. She stopped. He ran his finger around the top of her slacks. His lips moved swiftly to the underside of her jaw.

Laura could feel heat everywhere on her body. He slowly unbuttoned her blouse, pulling it loose from her pants. Then he took off the blouse, pulling the bra off at the same time. Now his mouth was busy at her nipples. Waves of desire roared in her ears. Moisture gathered between her legs as his mouth worked his magic…sucking…she gasped. Married for ten years, they had perfected their foreplay and they did not fail to achieve the desired results.

“Bed?” Jack whispered.

She nodded. He bent down and swept her up into his arms. He moved silently up the stairs, his mouth working over her face, mouth, and breasts. She closed her eyes, allowing the sensations take over her mind. Jack never failed to be the lover that all women wanted and only she had.

He put her down. They were next to the bed. Laura unzipped her pants and dropped them as well as her bikini panties. She turned slightly and drew down the covers. She slipped between the sheets. Jack finished undressing and slipped in beside her, his erection complete. He slid down kissing her abdomen. She moaned softly and then louder as he found the dark patch of hair and the ‘treasure’ hidden there. Then he was between her legs, his mouth working more magic. Her long fingers reached for his head, pulling him up and he pushed himself inside…

“Mom!”

Startled from her dream, Irina lost her grip on the book, which slid to the floor. She nearly fell off the bunk and barely was able to hold herself on it. Her heart was racing as she pulled herself into a sitting position.

“Sydney? What are you doing here? It’s Christmas Eve.” Irina stared at her daughter, but then smiled. “I’m happy to see you…”

“I’m sorry I startled you,” she answered. “You were asleep?”

Irina nodded, “I was dreaming about the last Christmas we had together. You were almost six.”

“Ohhh dear,” Sydney blushed herself, suddenly remembering that particular night when she ran unannounced into her parents’ bedroom. She had forgotten it, shoved it out of her memory.

Irina stood and came to the window. “What?”

Sydney, shamefaced, gave her a tentative smile. “Nothing, I was just remembering that night too!”

Irina stared at her daughter for a full thirty seconds and then she gave a warm throaty laugh. “You—you came into our bedroom, didn’t you?” She was not embarrassed.

Sydney nodded, “I’d almost forgotten it…”

Irina put her hand on the window of the cell. She indicated that Sydney put her hand against hers. “If you had told us then or the next morning, I’m sure your father and I would have made up a story. However, you are a woman now and you lived with Danny. So, yes, we were having sex and enjoying it.

“You, on the other hand, knew and said nothing. That was being very kind to your parents.”

“Thanks,” Sydney answered. “I was glad you didn’t know.”

“Didn’t know what…?” Jack Bristow walked into view. He had been chatting with John, giving Sydney a few minutes with her mother.

“Jack?” Irina was surprised again. “What are you doing here?”

“You didn’t answer my question.”

“Dad, Mom, and I were remembering our last Christmas together. The one when I got the bicycle from Santa. I told her I had awakened early and went downstairs and saw all my presents before you and she got up.”

Irina’s eyes left the face of her daughter and she smiled at Jack. “She remembered every surprise.”

Jack stared back as he too remembered that Christmas night. It was the last Christmas he and Laura spent together. By the next Christmas, she was allegedly dead. He was being investigated, because the FBI proved she was a spy and an assassin.

“Oh,” he gave her a small grin. “Well, I guess the family is together again. Circumstances are a little different though. Sydney and I thought we would spend a few minutes with you. I wanted to thank you again for helping me elude Ariana Kane’s witch hunt.”

“You’re welcome, Jack…” Irina’s heart beat faster. Why, she knew, but certainly wouldn’t tell him. “So have you exchanged presents?”

“I updated his wardrobe a bit,” said Sydney, grinning at her father. “Some shirts, matching ties, socks and,” she paused, “other articles.”

Irina chuckled. “At least there was a Bristow woman around to manage your clothes.” Jack had always let Laura do the shopping, with the exception of his suits.

“What do you think I did for clothes while Sydney was growing up and you…were not around?” Jack said quietly, an edge to his voice.

“Sorry,” said Irina. She meant it. “What did you give Sydney?”

“A gold bracelet,” he answered. “I’m not one to shop for women.”

Irina lifted an eyebrow, smiling at Sydney who smiled back, saying, “He does have good taste in jewelry.” She glanced at her watch, “Oh Gosh, I’ve got to go. Vaughn’s picking me up in an hour.”

“I have something for you,” Irina said.

Sydney stopped and turned. “I didn’t think they’d let you out to go shopping.”

Irina put her hand in her right front pocket of her jeans and pulled out the antique earrings her mother gave her when she graduated from the KGB academy. “I want you to have these when I’m transferred.”

“Transferred?” Sydney glanced at Jack.

“Sydney I have only so much information. Once it’s all gone, they’ll send me to…” she shrugged. “Anyway, I want you to have them then.”

“Thank you. Grandmother gave them to you, didn’t you say?”

“Yes,” Irina put the earrings back in her pocket. “Now you better hurry or you’ll keep your Vaughn waiting.”

“Goodbye, Mom, Merry Christmas,” Sydney turned and planted a kiss on Jack’s cheek. “You too, Dad.” She disappeared down the hall.

“Those were from your mother,” asked Jack.

Irina nodded. “Yes when I was twenty. They are the only family heirloom we have. I don’t know how old they are, but Mother said they belonged to her grandmother and had been passed down to the women in our family. I want Sydney to have them now.”

“That’s nice of you.” He said.

“She’s as much my daughter as she is yours. I have nothing to leave her when…” she stopped again, not wishing to say it. Then she smiled shyly, “I have something for you too. It’s my gift to you.”

He was surprised. “Irina…I…”

She took a deep breath. Her eyes never left his face. “That day when you first came to see me, I told you that the fabrication of our marriage was beginning to be more real to me, especially when Sydney was born. It was more than an illusion…it was real.” She glanced away for a split second as if to gather courage to continue. “…everything I told you was true for me…that you were a patriot, a good, loving husband, and a great father. You were everything a woman would want in a man.

“I destroyed that I know. Jack, I did love you then and when the KGB ordered me home—to leave you and Sydney…I—I almost…” she stopped.

He studied her carefully, almost scientifically stripping her down to the essentials. “Almost what…turn yourself in…tell the truth?”

“Jack,” she gasped, “they would execute me. I didn’t want to die.”

“The men you killed didn’t want to die either…,” he growled.

Irina knew she could not go on…not with that between them. She remembered how devastated he’d been when two of his closest friends at the CIA had been killed while on assignment. She was silent, staring at him for a moment. Then she turned away walking back toward her bunk and the book on it.

Jack stared at her. It was Christmas and the woman he had loved passionately thirty years ago and, still loved, gave him a small gift of truth. Sometimes he wished he could forget her, but he could not. Every time he looked at Sydney, he saw Laura.

“Irina, I appreciate your gift, but I’m sure there is more to your being here than what you have said. You are after something.”

She turned and he saw tears on her face. Inside he winced, but he remained stoic. Maybe she did have feelings for him still, but it didn’t mitigate the facts: she was a spy and an assassin. Irina Derevko might love him, but she would probably die or serve a life sentence in a federal prison somewhere. What good would it be to be loved by a woman he could never have again?

“Goodnight, Jack,” she said quietly. Then she thought of something as he turned, “Wait!” She walked to the window. “There’s one thing I would ask. Help Sydney leave CIA. She could be a wife and mother, maybe a teacher too. Please, I beg of you, don’t let our daughter end like us.” She did not glance away, but kept her eyes on his, pleading.

He sighed, “I’ll try, Irina, but Sydney is stubborn.”

“Then that’s all you can do, is try.” She said softly. “Good night again. I have missed you in my life.”

Jack looked at her for a moment, then said, “Me too!” He walked briskly out of sight.

The cellblock doors came down one by one, leaving Irina standing at the window, alone.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
Lenafan

Wow, that was great! There was no mention of this being a one parter, so could i please have a PM when you update? Thanks! :smiley:

Back