ABC's 'Secret Service'

M

Marlene

Source: Zap 2 It

'Tarzan' Co-Star Swings to ABC's 'Secret Service'
(Monday, February 09 09:39 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - See Jane run. Run, Jane, Run. Run far away from "Tarzan."

Sarah Wayne Callies, who first had to deal with having her character's name stripped from the title of The WB's "Tarzan" and then with the show's swift demise, has landed the lead in a new ABC drama.

The Hawaiian-born Callies will topline ABC's "The Secret Service," playing a young woman balancing her personal life and marriage with her duties as a secret service agent. The Hollywood Reporter describes the series as a "character-driven procedural." And any similarities to "Alias" probably aren't entirely accidental, as "Secret Service" comes from former "Alias" producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman-Counter, as well as Francie Calfo.

Callies went from virtual unknown to WB poster girl with the short-lived "Tarzan." Her earlier credits include "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" and the first incarnation of Dick Wolf's unsuccessful "Dragnet" revamp.
Eva Longoria, a veteran of Wolf's updated (but equally viewer-anemic) "L.A. Dragnet" has also landed on her feet with an ABC drama pilot. Longoria will play one of the leads in "Desperate Housewives," which takes a dark, but humorous look at four women living on a cul-de-sac in an anonymous town.

Longoria, who also did a stint on "The Young and the Restless," will play a former model whose decaying marriage leads her to begin an affair with her 16-year-old gardener.

Both ABC pilots come from Touchstone TV.

They might have a hard time making the Secret Service seem as cool as the CIA. But, who knows? A few years ago I wouldn't have thought the CIA could be made to seem cool either.

I just hope it isn't too similar to Alias. I don't want ABC's head being turned by the pretty new baby. Alias should always be their top priority, and I hope they keep that in mind. It's unlikely anything will be able to replicate the cult success that it has.

I have to say I'm immediately turned off by the show. Which isn't really fair because I know next to nothing about it but anyways.

From what I know I feel like its copying Alias, and i hate shows that copy other shows... (n)

VaughnFan13 said:
Why does it look like ABC is releasing several shows similar to Alias? Karen Sisco and now this?
And Karen Sisco just got cancelled, so they probably need to think about coming up with some original formulas. I'd be willing to try a show that's somewhat similar to Alias, but I wouldn't have a lot of hope for it. Alias is such an intricate mix that it's VERY unlikely any other show would be able to do it right. (They also probably wouldn't have such a talented cast.)

hmm... maybe it would make a good lead-in? But that's what I thought ABC would do with Karen Sisco, and they cancelled it. It seems a little too much like Alias to me, but I might give it a try.

*shrugs* and what do they mean by FORMER producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman-Counter?
:blink:
--Mandy :angelic:

Back