The Secret Life of Eric Weiss

V

verdantheart

Greg Grunberg was interviewed recently by zap2it:

~~~
The Secret Life of Eric Weiss on 'Alias'

By Kate O'Hare

"Alias" creator J.J. Abrams has written a pilot for cast member Greg Grunberg, who plays CIA Agent Eric Weiss on the Sunday-night ABC espionage drama.

But since the episode isn't planned to hit the schedule before the middle of next season, Grunberg has the opportunity to think about what he'd like Weiss to do in the meantime.

Weiss always has been best pal and espionage partner to CIA Agents Michael Vaughn (Michael Vartan) and Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) in their globe-hopping, high-tech adventures.

"I think my character's right for some huge shock," Grunberg says. "I'm the most trusted and stable character on the show, predictable almost. They have to come around to me, and I would love it to be that I get into a relationship with someone, and that person ends up being really evil and manipulating me in some way."

Failing that, Grunberg has more ideas. "I would love to have my own personal agenda. I definitely think it would be toward the good, not the evil. But I would love to have something going on where somebody didn't know where I'm going, just because I'm there for everybody else.

"But I'm happy with what they're doing with me right now. I love being that best friend. That's been my whole career, being the second on the show, being there for the other actors, being a confidant, sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, being the comic relief.

"I'd love to keep doing what I'm doing, but much more an integral part in the story lines, instead of just being the guy who passes information along."

Or, a long-hidden talent for magic could be revealed, since Harry Houdini's real name was Ehrich Weiss, which is pretty close.

"What could be really cool is, in the way that Marshall ('Alias' tech expert, played by Kevin Weisman) is good with gadgets, I should be good at using magic or sleight of hand. That would be really funny," Grunberg says.

"What if we were trapped somewhere and I said, 'Don't worry, he can't see us.' 'What are you talking about?' 'I've got three mirrors set up. It looks like we're not here.' It's a good idea."

Barring any of the above, Grunberg would settle for fisticuffs. "Weiss kicks ass! That's the second half of the season."

If his pilot makes it to air, Grunberg may be able to do all the butt-kicking he wants. Currently titled "The Catch," it casts Grunberg as a bounty hunter.

Abrams says, "It feels like it's one of those ideas that's just one protein away from being the worst idea ever. It you don't do it right, it could be felgercarb with a capital K.

"But done with the right sense of comedy, and with some irony, it could actually end up being, yes, an action show. But something that could also be poignant. There are opportunities for fun, but what intrigues me is the familial drama. In many ways, it's not unlike the allure of 'Alias,' that it's really all about these people and this family."

According to Grunberg, Abrams gave him a preview of possible things to come. "My first episode (of 'Alias') this year was basically the Weiss show. J.J. gave me so much to do. I was tactical team leader, best friend, in the office. It was a grueling schedule. I got a little taste of what it's like to be Jennifer, just working every single day, tons of scenes."

On the theme of family, Grunberg recently added to his own clan. He and wife Elizabeth had their third child late last year.

"Another boy, third boy," he says. "From what I understand, boys are more difficult in the beginning. Then we are going to be sailing through the teenage years, compared to if we had three girls. "But now, we've got our hands full. Boys at three, four years old, won't sit down and keep themselves entertained for hours, while girls will."

Being a husband and father makes Grunberg's life a bit different from co-stars Vartan, Garner and David Anders (who plays the enigmatic villain Julian Sark), all currently unmarried.

"I'm definitely the most domesticated," Grunberg says. "I'm not living that young Hollywood lifestyle. I'm changing diapers -- that's what I'm doing. That's my Friday night."

Of course, there are some viewers who think Sydney Bristow might want to give some romantic consideration to Weiss, since boyfriend Vaughn, thinking she was dead for two years, went off and married NSA Agent Lauren Reed (Melissa George). To be fair, it's not like Weiss urged him to give up on love.

"That's true," Grunberg says. "I was there, fighting it, fighting it. I'm his best friend. He listens to every word I say. I eventually got him a couple of strippers, I got his mind off of it, then he hooked up with Lauren. That's the way it works. It all goes through Eric Weiss."

Regarding Weiss and Sydney, Grunberg says, "She should stick with solid Eric Weiss. That's what we're talking about. Weiss isn't going anywhere. He's your best friend; you can get drunk with him.

"It's funny, the first three or four episodes this year, relatives and friends called me up, 'Are you guys going to hook up? What's going on?' They would reference specific looks and moments, and I was like, 'What are you talking about? No way, not even close. I'm her best friend. I'm her confidant.'"

CYBERSPATIAL ANOMALIES: "Greg Grunberg: A Fan Site," at www.cybamall.com/karafic/greggrunberg/, offers a message board, career info, fan fiction and more.
~~~
;)

Back