An Unusual Idea

Heyo folks, been a lurker here for some time now, but since I am now all activated up and ready to go, I thought I'd present an interesting idea that came to me. The concept is a somewhat different one, and was birthed mostly by reading through such threads as:

• Why are there no secrets in MMO's?
  • Easy to Learn/Hard to Master.
  • Little Things in MMOs that would mean a lot.
  • Role-players vs. non-Role-players.
  • ...and a few others too.

I'll just launch right into it.

One of the greatest things about DragonRealms, a previous favorite of mine, was that there was a massive system underlying the game that players did not immediately understand. You have verbs for things, and these verbs do different things for different items. Smelling one thing is completely different than smelling another, turning a cloak might be visible to other people nearby, and even the very nature and usage of items and world components could be changed by using certain verbs on them.

This system of verbs allowed for a number of cool game factors.

• Items: Anything you can pick up and possess might have the capability of being really intricate, or cool, or useful, or whatever.
  • Combat: How well you fight certain enemies with certain weapons is greatly affected based on what verbs you use.
  • World Components: Verbs are very important in such things as prepping and firing mangonels, or even just getting into a building by crawling through a window because the door is blocked.
  • Roleplaying: With verbs being applicable to pretty much everything, you can roleplay much more effectively. You can use that wooden comb to actually comb your hair, or you can polish your sword with a rag, etc.
  • New Things To Find / Secrets: No one ever knew all the verbs in DR, nor how to use them with every item, world component, or whatever. Even now, people are still finding (and GM's are still making) new verbs and uses for old ones.
  • Immersion: Actually being able to pull up a bucket of water from a well and then drink that water makes things a lot more real than just having a terrain polygon shaped and painted like a well lying around.
  • Min/Maxing: With so many verbs for so many uses, is there really any one "best" way to do anything? Can you really call one weapon, or spell, or whatever, the "best" when there are seven different ways to use it, each working differently than the others in certain situations?

Clearly, verbs unlock a lot of potential in a game like DragonRealms. Without them, the system doesn't work. It is a fundamentally different system than most MMO's as we now know them. The biggest limit on modern MMO's is that they are mouse and cursor based. If you can't click it, you can't do it. And worse, clicks are nonspecific unless you code them to be. You can't have a different button for every single possible command. Your screen would be an immense mass of icons, all muddled and confusing.

If I want to take off my hat as a lady walks by in World of Warcraft for example, I can't type "/tip hat at [Character]". I have to use the /act or /emote command to type "[Player 1] cordially tips his hat to [Character] with a smile", but this doesn't actually do anything besides display a chat message to everyone around. There is no animation, it's clunky, and it's not really target specific. In DR you can perform verbs that only the target sees, but in WoW everyone sees an emote because the system is so limited.

-------

"But DR is a text-based MUD. How can we make a system like DR's work in a 3D graphical world like an MMO?"

-------

My idea? Hybridization. Every MMO has a chat function, and underlying that (unaccessible to players of course) is the console system. This can easily be transformed to create a text-based graphical MMORPG. Madness? Perhaps. But let's run with it.

Imagine a game like World of Warcraft. The chat system already is used for a small number of verbs. Emotes are done by manually typing /grin, or whatever, and then your 3D graphical avatar acts out that emote, with an accompanied message in the chat box. So what if we beefed up this system?

If I type...

/tip my hat at [Character]

...it should literally initiate an animation for my 3D avatar, where he tips his hat toward the passing lady and smiles. If I type...

/tip my hat mock at [Character]

...it would be a rude hat tip made in jest, overwrought and with a sneering mock grin. Such things aren't currently possible in modern MMO's because the system doesn't exist for it. If, however, you specifically designed your system to work like this, it would be entirely possible for a game like Hero's Journey.

A verb command foundation, with a 3D graphical representation of those verbs, would be an ideal hybridization of the two systems, taking the best of both worlds. You could type /swagger to shift your walking animation to a devil-may-care strut. You could frown on command, and then draw your sword and menace someone with it. The possibilies for player action and interaction explode in number, because a Verb System is just more robust in nature than Point and Click can ever be.

Of course, you would want P&C for certain things, surely. Managing your character inventory, stats, menus, shopping, and all the normal Mouse-Based actions should retain their P&C status, but should definately be integrated with a Textual Verb System, to allow for maximum flexibility.

I think I've rambled on long enough to explain myself sufficiently for the moment, so I'll give you fine folks' eyes a rest. I sincerely hope that this is the direction that games start to move toward in future years. It would allow us so much more potential I think.

Anywho, leave my some feedback, tell me what you think about my crazy idea, and don't be afraid to criticize! *grins*

May Fortune Smile Upon You.
~Dune Walker~

I really like it, however, I do have a few things to comment on.

For one, I don't like it when only two people can see an emote that is safe for the whole world to see. You mentioned the verb system making it so only two people would see the whole hat tip, and while that's good for targetting and letting the person know it was at them, it's also just fine to have the person's name in the text accompanying the action. However! I didn't play DR for too long so may have things turned around.

Secondly, I don't believe it is entirely the different verbs and interactions that cause problems withthe system of turning Dragon Realms into a graphical game, but actually the graphics themselves. Having to make the different animations, code in this object doing that.. In a MUD, it's all text which is both easier to program and easier on a system, in a graphical mmorpg it begins to include that plus a whole lot more.

Whee! Feedback!

I somewhat agree about visible emotes for most emotes, but I seem to recall certain special emotes could only be seen by the people targeted. Like furtive glances and stuff that are, like in real life, meant to be seen only by the recipient.

Secondly, I completely agree that when expanding the limits of what a player can do in a game, the actual computer resources become the new limit. That's why I like what Will Wright is doing with Spore, and why I think proceedural generation is the best hope for future gaming design.

Aside from that, glad you like the idea!

~Dune Walker~

Personally, I like P&C. However, I've never played DR to know what it's like using verbs for everything. Aside from the /macros from FFXI or making my own in nwn and nwn2.
I think graphically, that's a lot of work, considering, like Pinnelipe said, a separate animation would have to be done for everything.
Your idea is interesting to say the least. If the idea was implemented into a prototype, I'd give it a try.

I thought when you were talkin about those emotes only two could see, you were talking about stuff like hat tipping, Dune! I see now.. I still partially think others should beable to catch it though. Have them in a seperate window for those they aren't directed to so that it's inconvinient to look, perhaps, but it is possible to know? Some people are really good at seeing such things in real life.

Edit: By seperate window, I mean one that is ALWAYS on a tab with the regular chat window so both can't be viewed at once.

Back