Any other craftspersons?

Any other R/L craftspersons?

Just curious if anyone else out there makes stuff? Just to get the ball rolling, here are some shots of my first elbow copf in several states. Sadly I screwed it up when trying to fit the lames and in trying to get them to articulate properly...
I haven't messed with it recently, my wife is rather against me fighting anymore at any rate.

elbowcopf1tb4.jpg

copfcutoutlb7.jpg

copf2viewscopywf4.jpg

They want to make me a staff weapon thing for my next one, but it will only be made out of wood and paint sadly, not quite as good as what you'd do ;) Of course, I might be lethal walking around a con with staff of steel or something.

Leo said:
They want to make me a staff weapon thing for my next one, but it will only be made out of wood and paint sadly, not quite as good as what you'd do ;) Of course, I might be lethal walking around a con with staff of steel or something.
It wouldn't be made of steel anyway, I recommend teak, ironwood or rattan.

Zink said:
My mom's boyfriend was making chainmail trinkets for awhile but that's not nearly as cool as that...

Ringmaille is fun at first, but it can get monotonous at times. I have over 250,000 rings to my credit, but just split rings. I may do one final hauberk for myself then never make any again.
If I do, it will be riveted maille but I am not likely to tackle that any time soon.

When I was back in the bluegrass I'd make stag handled knives all the time. Bowies mostly, duh.. But a few exotic weapons. I've pondered making more bowies using new handle materials.

Luciro said:
When I was back in the bluegrass I'd make stag handled knives all the time. Bowies mostly, duh.. But a few exotic weapons. I've pondered making more bowies using new handle materials.

You can't beat stabilized materials, especially for big, heavy use blades. Micartas are great, especially the canvas varieties. Can't beat a good piece of oak or maple either.

Well the acrylic I found is basically just plastic beads you melt down and then set, then when you use them how so ever you were planning you do a light tempering with a blow torch and that helps take the bounce out of it which is why most other plastics suck for impact handle material without being composite with some random substance like graphite.
Plus you can get any color you want or even make it look glass clear. I don't have any tools here tho'. LoL Even tho my kiln and what not before was just home made stuff my Dad had for fitting shoes on the horses made from cinder blocks and I'm pretty sure stolen mine equipment.

Luciro said:
Well the acrylic I found is basically just plastic beads you melt down and then set, then when you use them how so ever you were planning you do a light tempering with a blow torch and that helps take the bounce out of it which is why most other plastics suck for impact handle material without being composite with some random substance like graphite.

Hmmm.... I never temper with the handle material in place. I usually go with a differential quench, edge down, temper with a torch and a soak in the oven.
LoL Even tho my kiln and what not before was just home made stuff my Dad had for fitting shoes on the horses made from cinder blocks and I'm pretty sure stolen mine equipment.

LoL. Some of the best stuff is made from "scrounged" materials. My stepfather and I made our first forge out of an old cast Hibachi grill. We've both moved on to better equipment, my stepfather much more so than I.

Very cool, Dirk. Have you made a full suit of armour, or is this just the beginning?

I worked with a lady who used to sit and make chain mail just for fun, like an old lady knitting an afghan blanket. She said it was relaxing.

Back