Character Balance

So, the examples that were posted on the dual class "combinations" are very interesting. I especially like the War Mage and Pure Wizard. However, it does bring to mind a question on class balance.

If I have a War Mage for example, will the "mage" part of me be less powerful than say a Pure Wizard? Will you be able to make one class much stronger than the other? For example, if I wanted a wizard who could defend himself, I might make him a war mage so I could wear armor but then put almost all of my ability "upgrades" into the wizard part of my character.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? Or does anyone actually know how this is going to work?

I've got no clue. But it says you will have a "primary" and "secondary" classes combined to make one class. So I think the abilites or options from your secondary would be less than that of something with the same primary as your secondary.

I don't know exactly how it will work but I believe that you'll be able to customize how strong your abilities are not only with wyr but also with Hero Points. As a result it may be that not only will a War Mage and Pure Wizard be very different but also one War Mage may have many different abilities from another, equally leveled, War Mage depending on his wyr (does his wyr help his spell casting or melee abilites or a little of both) and how he spent his Hero Points (did he put most of them in to his wizard side or his warrior side).

I guess what I'm saying is that I think it will be hard for anyone other than a developer to answer this question since there will be so many different "builds" and variation within the classes.

Well, for each combo you get certain skills.

For example,With a War Mage, you wouldnt have as much casting skills or abilities as the pure Wizard, that is just because you get certain skills from your primary and secondary class, You would get some Warrior skills from having it as a secondary class.

I believe to have read somewhere that Simu isn't going to balance everything 'perfectly'. With 72 Classes this is near impossible. Adding the concept of wyr'ing your very own abilities and spend HeroPoints on them leads to builds not even the creators could have forseen.

Other games have a hard time balancing only 9 classes. With this myriad of classes we'll have to live with slight imbalances, I guess. I just hope the community won't become a bunch of whiners spamming the forums here and everywhere.

LOL. I agree. I would just hate to see one set of classes totally out-balancing the other. I agree Wyr will provide a great deal of variation but I guess it's the base characters I'm thinking about.

and does anyone know if we'll be able to up our base stats or just apply modifiers to them? Or could that be a possible usage of Hero Points where they could be applied to a variety of things?

I think it's just an interesting thread because there has to be balanced play otherwise the various situations become very lopsided.

I really wish I could answer those questions, but I'm not sure at all. The only ones even able to answer your questions would be the HJ staff, and they may not have an answer yet. However, I'm sure whatever happens it will be balanced.

On the bright side, their will never again be the same build!

Originally posted by Nainci@May 16 2006, 12:03 AM
I don't think that there will be an identical anything in HJ.

Ain't it wonerful????! :lol:
Wonderful is an understatement. Try 'Revolutionary'.

As per one of the threads below... there won't be any "pure wizards." Your two classes are not divided evenly; you have a primary one and a secondary one. You can set yourself as Wizard/Warrior if you want more magic or Warrior/Wizard if you want more melee. Beyond that you'll have character development decisions and wyr.

I'm pretty confident nearly everyone will be able to have almost exactly the flavor of hero they envision (well, so long as they want to play a fanstasy MMORPG in the first place). That doesn't mean people won't still whine and spam forums about their terribly neglected class and the nerfs other classes should get and what not and WHY DO HEALERS GET MANIPULATE PAIN THATS OBVIOUSLY A NECRO SKILL (or vice versa). It does mean your character's approach to combat, grouping, strategy, etc. will match what you're looking for.

Originally posted by HJ-Goat@May 16 2006, 12:19 AM
And how the hell does Daax have 150 posts in 5 days?

:eek:
I've been trying to figure that out too... I think they reply to every post made on the forums with "OMGTEHR0X0RZLOLBBQ!!1!" ... I could be wrong though... B)

<keeps investigating>

~ Jaraeth

Well put Goat.

There IS a difference between a character with a Primary class of Bard and Secondary class of Gearknight versus a character with a Primary class of Gearknight and a Secondary class of Bard.

And how the hell does Daax have 150 posts in 5 days?

xD I expected somebody to eventually ask this question. Yes, I've been in these forums less than a week and I've already got over 150. I'm just a forum whore. When I pick a forum I end up staying on it for good. It's just in my blood. I have to have an opinion on everything. And I've also started about 6 threads since I've been here. I'm just 1337 like that. :lol:

<Jaraeth picks up Daax setting him on his lap, and pats him on the head lightly. Eyeing a bowl of fruit on the wooden counter to the left, he picks it up and hands it to Daax to see if he'd enjoy any of it.>

I think Daax is going to become the Hero's Hall pet ;)

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by Seeria@May 17 2006, 10:13 AM
Balance is a nirvana that doesn't exist. Classes are made for their uses, not their equal ability to do damage. :D
I agree. I think each class should have very clear cut relative stregnths and weaknesses (or just outright overpower). Some classes should be outright more powerful than others in various situations. I hate when a class based on a sweet concept gets watered down in the name of balance. Instead of watering down the classes power balance can be achieved in other ways such as giving the "overpowered" classes a lower xp per kill ratio or more money sinks or something like that. That way on one hand they are powerful but on the other hand they had to pay a high price for it. That's how I would handle it rather than nerfing the class to a mere shadow of it's concepts greatness. I think the fact that everyone has the option to make an alt of the ovepowered class is balance right there.

Back