Character Secondarys

Alright, this is hard to ask...

Okay, so you have a Rogue/Ranger. Would that character's ranger skills not be as good as another character who is Ranger/Rogue? Or would they be the same, but they just focus more skills on it.

(Like I said, hard to ask. I will try to word it better abit later tonight, sorry.)

<stares at the question... thinks along the way of game mechanics ... and smoke pours out of his ears>

I have no idea how the two would differ... good question for a Dev, if they'd be willing and/or able to answer.

~ Jaraeth

WatchMaker said:

Okay, so you have a Rogue/Ranger. Would that character's ranger skills not be as good as another character who is Ranger/Rogue? Or would they be the same, but they just focus more skills on it.

(Like I said, hard to ask. I will try to word it better abit later tonight, sorry.)

Yes. A Rogue/ Ranger would have a different focus insofar as 'primary' skills than a Ranger/Rogue.

In other words Rogue/Ranger would be a better Rogue than Ranger. Whereas a Ranger/Rogue would be a better Ranger than Rogue.

The question was worded fine save for that small speck of chive on yer front tooth.

WatchMaker said:

allright, let's guess. your question was:
will a ranger/rogue get the same amount of rogue-spells like the rogue/ranger and they just will be weaker or does the ranger/rogue get less rogue-spells but they are just as powerful as if he were a rogue/ranger?

right?

As I understand it, a Rogue / Ranger would have more skills from the Rogue tree than a Ranger / Rogue, and vice versa. It's not that those skills are capped at lower levels for secondary classes.

I would expect to see the skill system with a class/class combination to work much as Guild Wars did. It didn't matter if you were a Mesmer/Elementalist, or an Elementalist/Mesmer when it came to skills. Just one different attribute which changed how the entire character was played.

With a Mesmer you had fast cast. Thus enabling you to cast spells faster as the name implies. With an Elementalist you recieved a higher capacity for energy.

One thing that just popped into my head to add to Frosty's post is that in DR each profession had certain skills they could learn faster than others and some that they learned slower (Primary, Secondary and Tertiary.) Perhaps instead of the Guild Wars "One special attribute for each primary class" you instead were able to advance a bit faster or higher in Rogue skills if you were a Rogue/Ranger as opposed to the other way, and vice-versa. It would lead to your secondary class not being as strong, but cerainly not as weak as a FFXI secondary job for example.

I don't think there will be a difference in effectivness of skills or amount of skills you will be able to have because of Ranger being your secondary. I think it will be like Guild Wars, as frosty said.

The only actual difference may be some passive trait or skill given to your primary class that sets you apart from someone else with a Rogue as a secondary class. Or vice versa a passive trait or skill that sets someone apart with Ranger primary from you with a Ranger secondary.

Back