Come Back Home

Title: Come Back Home
Summary: Seems like it's been forever, that you've been gone.
Song: "Where'd You Go?" by Fort Minor
This is a One-Parter!

Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone.

Madison needed dinner, Chloe needed a bottle, and Sydney needed a nap. Some days she just wished he would come home.

“Mommy!” Madison yelled, trying to climb onto the bar stool in the kitchen. She knew she wasn’t allowed, but she felt like she never got any attention anymore. Now that Chloe was born, her mom paid more attention to the baby.

“Madison Victoria Bristow Vaughn!” Sydney shouted, entering the kitchen and seeing her oldest daughter teetering on the stool. “Get down now.”

“But I’m hungry!” She fought back, clearly not going to get down.

“I’m trying to feed Chloe so I can put her down for her nap. You’re a big girl, you can wait a few more minutes.” Sydney reasoned, cradling the small bundle in her arms while feeding her a bottle.

“No!” Madison yelled, stomping her foot down on the stool causing it to fall over and her to go flying. She screamed out in pain as she landed on her arm.

“Maddy!!” Sydney yelled, quickly running around the dividing wall and over to her daughter’s side. She shifted Chloe to one arm so that she could hold onto Madison. “I’m sorry sweetie.” She apologized, tears falling down her cheeks at having scolded her daughter and making her fall. Seeing her daughter in pain was one of the worst things she had experienced, knowing that she had caused it was even worse.

“Mommy, it hurts.” The four year old whimpered, holding her arm.

“Let’s go to the hospital baby, you might’ve broken it.” Sydney said softly.

She said "Some days I feel like felgercarb,
Some days I wanna quit, and just be normal for a bit,"
I don't understand why you have to always be gone,
I get along but the trips always feel so long

“Vaughn, pick up… pick up!” Sydney paced the waiting room on her phone. She had been trying for the last half hour to get a hold of him, but he never picked up.

Michael had been gone for the past week and a half and she had been stressed and tired ever since. Taking care of two kids by herself was not easy, especially when one was a baby and the other always demanded attention.

She knew he couldn’t quit his job at the CIA, his salary was the only thing supporting the little family. She had quit a month after she had found out she was pregnant with Madison, not wanting her kids to grow up without a mother like she had.

Her father helped her out on occasion, but right now they were probably ankle deep in terrorists in Japan.

Sydney always tried to ask Michael to find a different job. He could be a teacher, teaching French class at the local school. That was a nice, safe job and she wouldn’t have to worry about him getting killed on a mission and never coming home.

He would call, yes, but it never really helped. He would tell her that everything would be ok and that he was fine. Sometimes she wished she didn’t know that he could die the next day, but sometimes she needed to remember that every moment she spent with him was precious. She didn’t want to fight with him, the last time she had hadn’t turned out well.

And, I find myself trying to stay by the phone,
'Cause your voice always helps me to not feel so alone,
But I feel like an idiot, workin' my day around the call,
But when I pick up I don't have much to say

They were arguing over something petty, like who would take Madison to school. Sydney had been four months pregnant with Chloe when it happened.

She got a call, from her father, saying Michael had been shot.

She wanted to run to him, but they wouldn’t let her. He was in a CIA controlled hospital, in Brazil. They told her that he was in a medically induced coma in intensive care and had some damage done to his lung. She was dying inside, thinking he might never wake up. She didn’t want him to leave her after he left on such bad terms.

Maddy asked all sorts of questions, “where’s daddy?”, “when’s daddy coming home?”, “does he not love me anymore?”. It got harder and harder to answer when he was still in a coma after two weeks.

Sydney couldn’t tell Maddy the truth about where Michael was, it would only scare her. And after all, she already was a mess herself, she knew she couldn’t deal with a toddler the same way.

Her father warned Sydney to stop worrying, telling her Michael was going to be fine, trying to get her to stay calm for the baby. He woke up soon after, only staying home a month before returning to the field.

She learned her lesson.

She couldn’t fight with him, so she always tried to keep the peace. But it ate her up inside.

So, I want you to know it's a little messed up,
That I'm stuck here waitin', at times debatin',
Tellin' you that I've had it with you and your career,
Me and the rest of the family here singing "Where'd you go?"

“Michael, it’s Sydney. Maddy broke her arm and we’re here at the hospital. Give me a call when you get this. Love you.”

I miss you so,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...

He didn’t call back until the next day.

“How is she?” He asked, like he had any right to care.

“She’ll be fine. She has to wear a cast for a few weeks.” Sydney responded, but she couldn’t keep the anger from her voice.

“I’m so sorry, Syd. I was in the middle of a mission and I just got back…” He apologized, but she cut him off.

“It’s ok.” She sighed. “When are you coming home?”

You know the place where you used to live,
Used to barbecue up burgers and ribs,
Used to have a little party every Halloween with candy by the pile,
But now, you only stop by every once and a while

“Soon.” He answered.

She had taken up a hobby after she quit the CIA. She started scrapbooking, trying to keep together the memories made while he was away. She thought that way, he wouldn’t miss his daughters growing up, but she was wrong.

I find myself just fillin' my time,
With anything to keep the thought of you from my mind,
I'm doin' fine, I plan to keep it that way,
You can call me if you find that you have something to say

No matter how many pages she made, how many pictures she took, there was always something missing.

Him.

And I'll tell you, I want you to know it's a little messed up,
That I'm stuck here waitin', at times debatin',
Tellin' you that I've had it with you and your career,
Me and the rest of the family here singing "Where'd you go?"

“Hey Mads!” Michael cooed when he entered the house, greeted by a tight hug from his daughter. “I missed you.”

“Look Daddy!” Madison held up her pink cast, already covered in drawings and signatures of her friends from school. She was proud of it, even though it hurt sometimes.

“That’s cool Maddy.” He looked at her cast, a constant reminder of what could, and did happen while he was away. He stood back up, looking for his wife. She was on the couch with Chloe, watching TV and seeming to not care that he was home. “Hey Syd.” He leaned over the back of the couch to give her a kiss, then giving Chloe one, talking to her quietly.

“Can you be quiet? I’m trying to watch this.” Sydney turned up the volume on the television. She had every right to be mad at him, so he let her be. If he had been home, then maybe this wouldn’t have happened.

I miss you so,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...

“Kendall wants me to go on another mission tomorrow.” He sighed.

“How long?” Sydney asked as she cuddled up to him in the bed.

“Just a few days.” He answered, wrapping an arm around his wife’s shoulders.

I want you to know it's a little messed up,
That I'm stuck here waitin', no longer debatin',
Tired of sittin' and hatin' and makin' these excuses,
For why you're not around, and feeling so useless

“Bye Daddy!” Madison said, hugging her father’s legs while he held onto his wife. “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too, sweetie.” He handed Chloe back to her mother with a kiss while he bent down to Madison’s height. “Be good for Mommy. Ok?”

“Ok.” She promised, kissing her father’s cheek and running off to play.

“I’ll see you soon.” He promised to Sydney, giving her a quick kiss and turning to leave. She smiled weakly, watching him leave her behind for the last time.

It seems one thing has been true all along,
You don't really know what you've got 'til it's gone,
I guess I've had it with you and your career,
When you come back I won't be here and you can sing it...

“Syd?” He called out, setting down his briefcase and coat by the door. “Maddy?” He shouted into the empty home, missing half the furniture and all his happiness.

Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
That you've been gone.
Where'd you go?
I miss you so,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home...
Please come back home...

{Fin}
Thanks For Reading and Please Review~!

Sierra

That was really well written and the lyrics fit to a T...
I wish Syd would have told him how she felt...
then maybe she would not have felt like she had to leave...
Thanks for the pm.

it was cute and so very sad.

well, he had to have known that she wasnt going to wait around forever.

sorry that it had to leave things like that, but hey, i would have left to.

thanks for the PM and i cant wait for the next story.

you are crazy, talented writer sierra!!

~*~ kara ~*~

oh my god she left him
n he was so selfish stsying as an agent
syd quit cos she didn't want her children having to grow up without a mother can't he do the same
i feel so sorry for him tho
loved the chap
its brilliant
thanks for the pm

luv Chicketepee ^_^

Back