Current Sci-Fi Novels

I've been reading a lot of the classics lately - Asimov, Herbert, etc. I am wanting to switch gears and read something more current. Does anyone have any suggestions for novels that have come out in the past few years that were really good?

I've been reading a lot of the classics lately - Asimov, Herbert, etc. I am wanting to switch gears and read something more current. Does anyone have any suggestions for novels that have come out in the past few years that were really good?

Most all of David Weber's Honor Harrington series of military sci-fi novels would make for excellent reading, Jerran. There almost isn't a bad novel in the mix(counting the main HH series, the Saganami spin-off, the Crown of Slaves spin-off and the four assorted HH anthologies) and the character evolution you see throughout the series is really, really good.

Try Ben Bova, he's an interesting author with a more down to Earth science fiction. He's not too recent but I've always enjoyed his writing.

David Feintuchs: Hope series, repetitive but interesting military/religious fun. Richard Morgan has a few books out although slightly lacking (Takeshi Kovacs series) . Peter F Hamilton has a few large series out (Greg Mandel, and Nights Dawn series I've read)

It very much depends on what type of SF you enjoy.

Catherine Asaro's Skolian Empire series (about a dozen books so far - start with Primary Inversion) is a modern space opera.

Lois McMaster Bujold has also written many books in the Vorkosigan series; she is an excellent story-teller.

For more "literary" modern SF try Iain M Banks' Culture series.

Alastair Reynolds and Richard Morgan are also worth trying, as is David Brin.

Back