Death Penalty

How sever can you handle a death penalty?

• 1 (no damage to self, xp, or items. Restart from last bind)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 7.7%

Votes: 5 19.2%

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 5 (corpse run and or loss of xp and maybe item decay)

Votes: 6 23.1%

Votes: 3 11.5%

Votes: 2 7.7%

• 10 (DEATH! You're done, gone, outta here.)

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think they should have 'will' to stay alive. Be it devoted to the gods, or devoted to something else like a certain goal. You meet that goal, gotta find something new.

I think they should have 'will' to stay alive. Be it devoted to the gods, or devoted to something else like a certain goal. You meet that goal, gotta find something new.

Yeah, that sounds cool. That way, even the angriest, "I'm only staying alive so I can make you watch as I slaughter your children"-type character will be able to flourish! Wait... :P

Seriously, though, it sounds good.

Even though I voted 5, I must add that I absolutely hate corpse runs. I have no problem with XP loss (but no level loss, thank you), item decay, or some sort of temporary "resurrection sickness" even, but if I was to make an MMORPG I surely would not use corpse runs in it.

That's rather grim.
Side questions just for you Watch.
Would you want absolute death in a skill based or level based game? Perhaps executed only in PvP or PvE, or let it transpire in both?

I'd like to add something about death I've noticed in games..

It's unrealistic in most because of the way systems make it so you can revive over and over, most rpers would agree with that. Some games give a reason for the person to come back, but then complicate it by having no reason someone would die permanently unless magically aided (hows come that dwarf that died from a wolf attack isn't still alive because of the Spirit Healer?)

I think more people would like death systems if there was a reason for both sides. If you're going to have corpses, have a reason someone might not be brought back. Did they not bind their spirit to the proper place to be able to raise again? If you don't do it, will it give your character a perma death? Something nice to implement might be a perma death if your spirit isn't bound somewhere close enough to your current location. Just too far for the soul to travel.

I'd like to add something about death I've noticed in games..

It's unrealistic in most because of the way systems make it so you can revive over and over, most rpers would agree with that. Some games give a reason for the person to come back, but then complicate it by having no reason someone would die permanently unless magically aided (hows come that dwarf that died from a wolf attack isn't still alive because of the Spirit Healer?)

I think more people would like death systems if there was a reason for both sides. If you're going to have corpses, have a reason someone might not be brought back. Did they not bind their spirit to the proper place to be able to raise again? If you don't do it, will it give your character a perma death? Something nice to implement might be a perma death if your spirit isn't bound somewhere close enough to your current location. Just too far for the soul to travel.

<mind boggles> Okay let's see...Corpses exist for corpse runs. So if they did not have that then a corpse would only hang around for a bit. Also, there would be no corpse if you were disentigrated or annihilated in some officious fashion. Personally though that would make strong enemies all the more interesing.

You may want to reword most of what you wrote..<sighs> Binding your soul close by is just like other non-permadeath systems. You are basically citing bindstones,altars, or spirit healers which are pretty much the same as what you suggested..Not like I have a good idea what you meant though.

<mind boggles> Okay let's see...Corpses exist for corpse runs. So if they did not have that then a corpse would only hang around for a bit. Also, there would be no corpse if you were disentigrated or annihilated in some officious fashion. Personally though that would make strong enemies all the more interesing.

You may want to reword most of what you wrote..<sighs> Binding your soul close by is just like other non-permadeath systems. You are basically citing bindstones,altars, or spirit healers which are pretty much the same as what you suggested..Not like I have a good idea what you meant though.

I know I am, Hunl. The difference with mine though is that if you are not bound close by, then it is a perma death. As for the corpse thing.. I wasn't meaning player corpses for corpse runs, but the npc corpses that are lying around with some sort of item you need to get on them.

I know I am, Hunl. The difference with mine though is that if you are not bound close by, then it is a perma death. As for the corpse thing.. I wasn't meaning player corpses for corpse runs, but the npc corpses that are lying around with some sort of item you need to get on them.

Yes, but being bound close by does not solve any problems. It is just a re-hashed idea used for non-permadeath. If you just get sent back to where you were bound even if close by you can still die endlessly.

Perma Death may be IC, but it is also not fun.

I would much rather have a slightly OOC and FUN game, than an 100% IC game. There are a lot of things that happen in real life that I would not like to see in a game (I play the game to get away from all that).

How many times has your character had to run to go to the bathroom in the middle of a fight? I would not like to have to go find the nearest tree three or four times a day.
Does your character require food? I would not like to be completely disabled after only a couple days without food or water. Eating, Drinking and excreting are things my character does on his own time, not mine. I have enough of that in real life.

The enevability of death is likewise something I don't want in my fantasy game. Ageing? perhaps... Ageing into old age and eventual death? no thanks. I sort of like the games that get around death to say the character was 'knocked out' or 'incapastated'. It takes the reality out of it.

I played Gemstone for many years. I've perma deathed (or rather a 'buddy' of mine that was playing my character spirit deathed when I had 1 deed after I told him specifically to get deeds before hunting), and as you can see I am still pretty bitter about it.

I don't think it makes people be extra careful. I don't think it makes people anything but angry. As long as the punnishment is somewhat severe, people will always avoid being forced to do anything. Death is being forced to go somewhere, or sit and do nothing for a while, or go on a corpse run, or regain some XP. And somebody will avoid that like the plague as much as possible.

Hunl, here's a lil' phrase for ya. WORD SCOPE Learn it.
As for perma death making people angry.. People get angry for all sorts of petty ---- in MMOs. Nerfing, ganking, /spit, yada yada. That doesn't make Permadeath that much worse than an idea as any of those.

Hunl, here's a lil' phrase for ya. WORD SCOPE Learn it.
As for perma death making people angry.. People get angry for all sorts of petty ---- in MMOs. Nerfing, ganking, /spit, yada yada. That doesn't make Permadeath that much worse than an idea as any of those.

I get a score when I type? You do indeed carry a fine point with the anger management issues.

I chose two, but I look back now and think that that's a little too easy. I HATE corpse runs, but I think in return my items should lose stats and I should lose atleast SOME xp.

Perma-Death is way too harsh, IMO. There are so many things that can happen to your character, regardless of what you do, regardless of your skill as a player. What if some idjit trains a camp full of angry orcs on your lap? What if you lose connection or suffer a bad lag spike in the middle of a tough fight and get killed because of that (happened to me several times in other MMORPGs)? Losing a character to those things would most certainly anger me more than any break in immersion due to resurrecting in the closest bind point.

That said, it would be great, if there would be some kind of in-game reasoning behind the resurrection of PCs. Be that divine favors or what have you, something.

One thing I've thought would be cool, would be a sort of "afterlife dimension" where you would end up after character death (spirit plane, if you will). Once there, you'd have to get out of there somehow. That could involve fighting (break out of hell, FTW!) or doing some quests for the gods (e.g. accepting to further said god's "business" on the mortal plane or whatever - in effect, accepting a special quest that you must complete before dying again, or you'd be in serious trouble).

Urk! I have to go (at work now). Will complete this post at a later date...

Back