Politics Downloading Music

ivand67 said:
Whether it's illegal or not, I think the real question is... is it ethical or unethical?

What's fair for you, the consumer, and how can you support your favorite artists without getting ripped off? And what if you simply don't have any money?

What if you wanna check out the latest song by Coldplay, or the latest songs, to make sure that buying their CD is worth it?

Now that this is a matter that could get you sued (your chances of winning the lottery ARE STILL BETTER since there's like millions of people still downloading MP3s), everyone's acting like they're great people and they wanna be legal?

Where were you five or 4 years ago with Napster? I didn't hear a lot of people talking about what was legal or not, because you couldn't get sued. But now that the recording industry could sue you (if you share thousands of files of course), now the average, AOL-type-of-consumer and the people that aren't the most knowledgeable when it comes to computers (otherwise known as n00bs or newbies, sorry but that's how these people are called) are all like, whoa, what's legal and what's not legal, I wanna be legal! I'm legal and all...

How come you weren't saying that in 1999 with Napster? Oh, that's right, cause you couldn't get caught! You weren't a target!

It's all about, "I haven't done anything wrong until I get caught, right?"

Now we see people's true concerns...

well, everyone has their views, and im not saying "oh, look at me, i'm legal, you're not, im a better person" or anything like that. im just stating my opinion and the reasons for it. please DO NOT put words in other people's mouths.

don't think you know people. Where was I in 1999 with Napster? I was 8, thank you, and was too young to know or care about downloading music. And no, it's not all about "i haven't done anything wrong until i get caught" because when I started with Kazaa, I really didn't know any better, seriously. it wasn't like i used napster cuz i could get away with it, I DIDN'T USE IT AT ALL!

Listen, I am NOT a newbie, I am NOT trying to follow any show off "look at us we're legal" crowd.

I wasn't saying anything then, because i didn't KNOW anything then. It's all about taking your knowledge and doing what you see fit with it.

Oh, and by the way, (and this is not directed to you, ivand67), photocopying a book is NOT the same thing, unless you stole the book in the first place and didn't buy it at the store or something. Downloading music without paying for it is different because you paid 0.

And, also, I agree that no one should have to go out and buy a whole cd for $18 or $20 when they only like 1, 2 or 3 of the songs. But it's not as if legal downloading (like iTunes), forces you to do that! The whole point of it is that you can search for a whole album, and, if you want, buy the one or two songs that you like.

If you think you're getting ripped off, or you just don't have the money, then OK, I respect that. You (ivand67) should just really think before you start pointing fingers.

ivand67, you're complaining that they charge 99c and you're PROUD of the fact that people are swapping? AND your CHARGING people to join your organization of PRO FREE DOWNLOADERS? now who's ripping people off?

i mean, i understand the concept of-i don't have enough money. i understand that. so if u can't afford it, don't use iTunes or those programs. but that doesn't give you the right to go mooching off the people who do have the money. i'll admit, most of the people in the biz are greedy, but you think thats the only reason programs like iTunes are our there? it's because its the RIGHT THING. I can guarantee you that if I didn't have iTunes, then when I was about to download something called SoulSeek, a file transferring program so I could download an episode of Degrassi that wasn't aired in the U.S, i wouldn't have deleted it. But I did. As soon as I downloaded it. Becuase I knew from experience what a mistake that would've been not to delete it.

Don't have the money? Don't buy the songs on iTunes or other programs like it. But don't steal it either.

oh, and one last thing:

AliasALIAS and all other members can make up their own mind. Don't try to recruit people to be part of a group that supports downloading music illegally.

Oh goodness. I remember Napster. It would take 2 hours to download a song on my dinky AOL dialup connection (oh the days before dsl and broadband...). :lol: Everyone talked about Napster at school... even the teachers downloaded music.

My question is... where were the record companies and their lawsuits in 1999? They had to have known about Napster. I suppose they were too busy trying to sue the international lyrics archive. If they had tried to stop it back before downloading music became REALLY popular, they would have had a much easier time, I think. If they had asked Napster to close and then offerred an alternative downloading option (pay for each song downloaded), things wouldn't be so crazy now. Well... hindsight.

photocopying a book is NOT the same thing, unless you stole the book in the first place and didn't buy it at the store or something. Downloading music without paying for it is different because you paid 0.

The way I see it, photocopying a book is only illegal if you then go off and SELL the book and gain a profit. It's the same with copying movies... Sometimes I rent movies on VHS, and if I like it, then I'll ask my mother (who has 2 VCRs) to copy it. Maybe it's illegal, but it's not like I'm then going out onto the streets and trying to sell my copied tape. I still paid to rent the movie in the first place.

(whoops, went off-topic there)

Existentialist said:
The way I see it, photocopying a book is only illegal if you then go off and SELL the book and gain a profit. It's the same with copying movies... Sometimes I rent movies on VHS, and if I like it, then I'll ask my mother (who has 2 VCRs) to copy it. Maybe it's illegal, but it's not like I'm then going out onto the streets and trying to sell my copied tape. I still paid to rent the movie in the first place.

(whoops, went off-topic there)
Yes, exactly. I know people that sell burned DVDs, CDs and tapes that they copied and make about $3-10 off each. Surprisingly, people actually buy the felgercarb.

Downloading something on Kazaa or another P2P is no different than borrowing a friend's CD and copying it or renting a movie and copying it. It's no big deal, people have been copying things since tapes came out. "illegal" downloading isn't really "illegal."

Interesting. So what's the cause of CD sales declining? Besides the high prices of CDs, I'd assume that it was because of the Internet, even if the RIAA didn't point their fingers at the old Napster and Kazaa.
How about lower quality of music? Seriously. And the economy is also a major factor.

Dreila said:
"illegal" downloading isn't really "illegal."
i kinda c wat u mean, except it doesn't make sense. its called illegal downloading for a reason. now, im not trying to scare anyone off or make people feel low or down or like they are truly a bad person at heart. im just stating.

i mean, my cousins live in old brookville. their nanny (well, shes not their nanny any more, but anywayz) used to bring them tapes. like, bootleg tapes of movies that were still in theatres (things that they would like: Spider-Man, Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo 2, etc. cuz they're little kids), that she would buy off the streets of jamaica where she lives i think. but, i mean, they didn't no any better. and im pretty sure she did, but she really is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet, and im not saying that "oh, i don't blame anyone who does this sort of thing if i know them", i'm just saying that im not blaming anyone for doing anything other than what they are doing.

Charlie said:
Interesting. So what's the cause of CD sales declining? Besides the high prices of CDs, I'd assume that it was because of the Internet, even if the RIAA didn't point their fingers at the old Napster and Kazaa.
How about lower quality of music? Seriously.
EXACTLY!!!!! lol sorry for that little outburst, but thank you Charlie! (y)

why use kazaa or winmx when you install them they put spyware on ur computer and really f it up. limewire is so much better. Im not big on downloading mp3's anymore. I mean I have gotten all the songs that I have wanted back when napster was up the first time. I think that they should legalize p2p downloads of music using limewire and other programs like that. Apple was the smartest company when they came out with the itunes but .99 for a song is still a little steep for me. Thank god i go to a college that gives the students free access to legal downloads of music, of course they are not mp3 but that can be fixed :D

yea well a lot of my friends are using limewire...but y? can it really be stated truthfully that by using limewire, u have a lower risk of screwing up your computer? they're all the same 2 me.

Back