Fantasy

Tom

An Old Friend
Anyone want to talk about fantasy. I love fantasy. I have been seeking out fantasy for many years. I really can't stress enough how much I want to discuss fantasy.

...Pick a topic...

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
How about... "At what point does a work of art, whether it be film/tv or literature or other, gets classified as 'Fantasy' as opposed to 'science fiction' or other genre?"

A good example of a movie that blurs lines is the movie Krull - It is sci-fi? Fantasy? Both?

Is it really so bad to have genres cross each other? Is it not better to have a work of art that is enjoyable by many rather than perhaps being narrowly defined and noticed by only a few?

Mojo

Rocket Ranger
Kevin, that sounds like a positive direction. Skwirlinator, is it OK to rename this thread?

On this new topic... I think, for too long, people have just accepted that swords and sorcery or some sort of fairy tale elements automatically made a work part of the fantasy genre. But by that definition, wouldn't Zorro, The Wizard of Oz and Shrek all be examples of fantasy films???

Zorro..fantasy? I would say adventure since I think there is a distinction between adventure and fantasy movies. But Shrek is totally fantasy :o

Mojo

Rocket Ranger
Zorro..fantasy? I would say adventure since I think there is a distinction between adventure and fantasy movies. But Shrek is totally fantasy :o
I was thinking of the "swords" part of swords and sorcery... but maybe you could make the case that a movie like Braveheart might be a bit better choice...

I've usually placed something in Fantasy if a "Castle" was involved.
There will always be those stories that are "bi", either/both, but I think that's a good place to start, if one must categorize to understand and enjoy.
I enjoy animated fantasy because the cost of presenting a fantasy world/creatures, (time-money-space), is less, and an epic of anything/anywhere, can be told saving $millions & years with no sacrifice (as far as I'm concerned) to the caliber of it?

Two movies I enjoy that fit neatly into no category are.

Big Trouble in Little China, and
Army of Darkness

Both are a "Hoot" for me, but I'm at a loss to label either.

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Two movies I enjoy that fit neatly into no category are.

Big Trouble in Little China, and
Army of Darkness

Both are a "Hoot" for me, but I'm at a loss to label either.
Both great movies that could arguably fall into different categories.

Big Trouble is one of my absolute favorite movies for a number of reasons. My wife does not exactly appreciate it and, when watching it, always gives me that "What the heck?!" look. Even after watching it dozens of times I still chuckle when he shoots the semi-automatic straight up and the falling pieces of stone knock him out. It's the little things in life that make me smile.

Top Bottom