Firefly

V

verdantheart

I just saw that DVDs are scheduled to come out December 9. See Amazon--they aren't available for pre-ordering, but you can get a notification when they're available. (And finally see the episodes they didn't air. OK, if you're in the UK you might have seen them . . .)
;)

Did you hear that Universal has bought the rights and they're going to come out with a movie? (zap2it)

~~~
'Firefly' Gets New Life on Big Screen
(Thursday, September 04 09:06 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Joss Whedon's 'Firefly' didn't burn very brightly on television, so he's taking the story to the movies.

Whedon will write and direct a big-screen version of the sci-fi western for Universal Pictures, with production scheduled to begin in early 2004. The movie will mark his feature-film directorial debut.

"Ever since the show went off the air, our fan base has grown even more," Christopher Buchanan, president of Whedon's production company, Mutant Enemy, tells The Hollywood Reporter. "We've had tremendous outpouring from the U.S. and Canada as well as the U.K."

Whedon hopes to reunite the cast of the show and introduce new characters in the feature film. Plot details are being kept quiet for now, but the story will likely be wider in scope while keeping in line with the "Firefly" mythology.'

By taking "Firefly" to theaters, Whedon is tracking the opposite course to that of his breakthrough, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," which was a not-too-well-received movie before becoming a cult hit on television. "Firefly" had a passionate but too-small audience for FOX to keep it on the air last season; it lasted only 12 episodes.

Universal recently picked up the rights to the project from 20th Century Fox TV, where the series was produced. A DVD set of the series, including three episodes filmed but never aired, is due in December.
~~~
:D

"Ever since the show went off the air, our fan base has grown even more": I guess somebody didn't leave it on the air long enough . . .
:angry:

SecretAgentMan said:
if they make a movie, its got failure written all over it....
No, no, don't say that!

Though unfortuately, you're probably right. A Firefly movie probably wouldn't make a lot of money. But I bet it'll get good critical reviews. :D

And I'll go see it and drag a couple of people along. :lol:

Really enjoying the DVDs . . . the second viewing is really making me realize what a quality piece it was . . . :( I recently read someone write into Ask Matt pleading "Tell me this isn't all there is!" but of course he had to reply that there's only the vague possiblity of a movie on the horizon. * Sigh * At least these days we DO have DVDs. In the old days a series with 12 or 13 eps would sink without a trace . . .
:(

i live in the uk, but i neva saw any firefly coz since it was cancelled on sky, it never got to terrestial.
What did you guys think of, i'm debating whether or not to get it because i love buffy and angel and it's made by joss...but i don't normally like sc fis that much...though i did like roswell, and taken was ok...what did you guys think of it?
does anyone know when the dvd comes out in the UK? (if it does, otherwise i may have to get it from america.)

It's a excellent series. I've seen all the episodes on sci-fi. I think people didn't like it because it was less supernatural and more fist fights. But that's what made the show so great to watch.

I think it was a terrific series and didn't get a chance to build up a following. Its characters and the richness of their potential was what really hooked me--and the quality of the special effects for a weekly sci fi show were really good.
;)

Hell, yeah, it had loose ends!!! They made 'em drop it in the second chapter so to speak! We don't know who Book is, or why Inara left & joined Firefly, or what exactly they were trying to do to River & why they want to kill everyone who talks to her & Simon (& why they wear the "blue hands"--or come in twos, even). There were only about a million stories left to tell . . . A movie just won't be enough . . . But I really think the DVDs are worth it. Just because there are still stories to tell doesn't mean that the stories that were told weren't totally entertaining. It just means the overarching arc wasn't complete.

But now Gina Torres is getting plenty of work and I hear Fillion (Mal) and the actress who played Inara have pilots . . . so life goes on . . .
;)

The movie apparently is official now. Per Variety, Serenity will begin shooting with the original cast in June for a 2005 release. Some hope for a resurrection of the series, but I'm not holding my breath--especially with a few of the cast members signed up for pilots this season. But! Great news! [Shame on YOU, Fox! And all the best of luck to Universal!!!]
:D

i'm really bloody well depressed about Firefy. Having just watched the boxset as slowly as i could, am now horrified at the fact that there are no more. how dare they do this to me. it's as good as buffy and angel. we have been robbed. ROBBED I TELL YOU!!!!! :banghead:

I was in England where barring the hardcore few sci-fi fans nobody has even heard of Firefly. It was shown on the sci-fi channel, which is a cable channel and will prob never see the light of day on terrestial tv in the UK. However the boxsets are selling quite well. so i reckon there is a good chance of it coming back after the feature film. what d'you think Verdantheart?

A series to a movie to a series again? That's unprecedented, so I don't really have any hopes in that area. Maybe a sequel to the film, if we're lucky . . . another show set in the Firefly-verse, maybe, centered around one or more of the characters? I just think that bringing the entire show, premise, cast and all, back to life would be almost impossible. From what I've heard, they might not even have Book or Wash for the movie, plus I've heard that a few of the actors have been attached to various pilots. Buffy the Vampire Slayer went from movie to TV show--with a completely different cast--which was oddball enough. Which is all a VERY long-winded way of saying "I wouldn't get my hopes up."
-_-

Yeah to be fair assembling a cast again would be pretty hard. OK fine, i'll keep my fingers crossed for a brilliant and successful movie followed by a sequel.

Back