Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Animation Futurama

Discussion in 'Television & Streaming' started by Robby, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Robby

Robby The Robot

Futurama Animators Roll 20-Sided Die With Bender's Game

(Via Wired)

2. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

When Futurama ended airing new episodes in 2003, after four seasons, it almost immediately became a huge hit in syndication for the Cartoon Network. The popularity of the show on the Cartoon Network led to hugely successful DVD sales of the series which led to a series of direct-to-DVD movies.

To date three DVD movies have been released with a fourth slated for a February, 2009, release date. Comedy Central, in an agreement with 20th Century Fox, is airing each movie split into 4 individual episodes resulting in a full 16-episode fifth season 5 years after the show was cancelled!

So what are the chances of there being additional DVD movies resulting in yet another season?

From Sci-Fi Channel:

3. Kevin

So, who else is watching the newly revived Futurama this season?

Last night's episode, "Lethal Inspection", brought us another great emotional closing that ranks up with the episodes about Fry's dog, Fry's nephew, and Leela's childhood (of having her family secretly looking out for her).

In just a few minutes we learned a lot more about Hermes and that the Planet Express crew really is like family to each other.

.... and if anybody was wondering, the song played was "Little Bird" by Elizabeth Mitchell.

4. chaching

chaching Scout

SECOND! That episode was absolutely amazing. It's proof that Groening still has it, but I have to say that I'm fairly disappointed with most of the episodes.
    They seem to be forgetting who some of the characters really are. They say things out of character and overdo a lot of their lines.

I just saw the final episode, and I can't wait for the next season. Or to buy this one on DVD!

5. Darkhelmet

Darkhelmet Scout

I was looking through my Futurama DVD Recordings And found a different intro theme in S2 E2 "Mars University"

Just click on the image.

[​IMG]

6. Alien Soup

Alien Soup Head Chef

Futurama is cancelled... again.

From Entertainment Weekly, Comedy Central has decided not to renew Futurama, which means that the 31st-century-set animated comedy will end its 140-episode run on Sept. 4. The final 13 episodes, which represent the second half of season 7, begin airing on June 19 at 10 p.m.

The show originally aired 1999-2003 before being cancelled by Fox after four seasons. Comedy Central included the show in its Adult Swim block of programs where it became really popular which led to four direct-to-DVD movies being made. Comedy Central aired the movies as half-hour episodes in 2008 & 2009 which is now considered the fifth season of the show. The success of the movies led to Comedy Central ordering new episodes of the show which resulted in season six airing in 2010 & 2011 and a seventh season which started airing in 2012. The second half of the the seventh season starts airing June 19th and ends September 4th. The last episode on September 4th will be the last show of the series.

The producers of the show have said that there is always the possibility of future projects involving the franchise but nothing is planned at this time.

Futurama - Fry.jpg

7. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Rocket Ranger

DISLIKE :(

8. Kevin

I'm there with you on this one. Futurama is a show that is funny, witty, and often emotional.

With the number of people watching shows like it on DVRs and streaming I am willing to bet that the reported audience numbers are a lot lower than what they actually are.

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Mouthy Cow

Yup, but networks require viewers to watch the programmes as they are aired to generate the revenue needed to pay for the show.

For example, my cable TV service includes and on demand catch-up service ... I always FFwd thru the ads. When I watch show as it is aired, I generally use the pause function, and go do something else for ten minutes per half hour of show ... again so I can FFwd thru the ads.

The digital age is killing TV ... :p