Go out and vote!

frostydf2

Cadet
To those living in the United States, today is mid term elections. I encourage everyone who is able to go out, and vote!

Reply with "I voted" if you've voted thus far!

I voted

HJ-Girasol said:
Hehe, I voted by absentee weeks ago. =D It's so much more nice...everyone should do it! =D

Actually, because of all the doubts about the new electronic voting systems in my state (maryland) the governor encouraged people to use absantee ballots... which lead to a shortage of them since it was something like 3x the normal amount anticipated. That combined with a few swamped people stuffing envelopes. The end result was many people far away not getting their ballots by the deadline and being unable to vote.

frostydf2 said:
To those living in the United States, today is mid term elections. I encourage everyone who is able to go out, and vote!

Reply with "I voted" if you've voted thus far!

I voted

In Sweden they talk about your pretty low percentage of voting people in US. So yes, do as Frosty, go and vote!!

..and ..eum.. dont vote "wrong".. will you please!? *hides* ;)

I'm not old enough to vote yet, but I will be in the upcoming presidential elections ^_^

*stabs mercilessly at his picture of an elephant*

In Sweden they talk about your pretty low percentage of voting people in US. So yes, do as Frosty, go and vote!!

..and ..eum.. dont vote "wrong".. will you please!? *hides*

Your quite correct in pointing this out. In the US only about 30% of voters actually vote.

It is the main culprit of why our current government and system is completely broken. Apathy of the american public will be the reason why this country fails now and will continue to fail in the future.

It's always so strange watching people in the US remind each other to vote, or campaigns to encourage voting. Here, it's compulsory.

Voted, drove people to vote, left work early to cart a few more. Even finally got to do one of the at the poll pollings for CNN afterwards.

Same ol' fare in VA btw. How many man + woman = tax break admenments can one state pass?

Luciro said:
Voted, drove people to vote, left work early to cart a few more. Even finally got to do one of the at the poll pollings for CNN afterwards.

That should be banned or at least have the results held until the close of the last poll.

I agree completely, Sylvado. I hate exit polls or at least the early reporting of them. The way an election is going back east should not affect votes in the west. Yet another case of the media affecting the very event it is covering.

Do you really think someone is sitting at home, thinking, "I'm gonna vote for Candidate A!" then they see an exit poll result saying Candidate B is winning, so they think, "I change my mind! Candidate B all the way!"

I really think the result of reporting exit polls is minimal.

blur said:
Do you really think someone is sitting at home, thinking, "I'm gonna vote for Candidate A!" then they see an exit poll result saying Candidate B is winning, so they think, "I change my mind! Candidate B all the way!"

I really think the result of reporting exit polls is minimal.

No I don't think that would happen. What could happen is that someone that has a slight urge to go out and vote hears a news report stating their candidate is 15 points behind decides there is no point in voting.

Sylvado said:
No I don't think that would happen. What could happen is that someone that has a slight urge to go out and vote hears a news report stating their candidate is 15 points behind decides there is no point in voting.
Whereas some might argue the exact reverse - that it gives the losing side a kick in the pants and might invigorate people into rushing and voting, if they weren't going to do so. They might be sitting at home and thinking, "Our guy's got it in the bag; I don't need to vote..." then an exit poll suggests otherwise and they think, "Crikey! I'd better get down there and vote!"

People who were boarderline on whether they wanted to vote or not are not likely to be rushing out to do anything. If they cared enough they would have been planning on voting from the start. By contrast people tend to get discouraged more easily than they are excited. Also things like this is where the third party candidates come in. If exit polls indicate that a candidate has the election in the bag, more people are likely to vote green/libritarian/etc to give them some support since they figure their vote won't matter in the real election results anyway.

Back