welcome home
Title: Goodbye My Lover
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters
Lyrics: Goodbye My Lover: James Blunt
Note: This is a one parter, so 1/1

WP by me
goodbyemylover.jpg

Did I disappoint you or let you down?
Should I be feeling guilty or let the judges frown?
'Cause I saw the end before we'd begun,
Yes I saw you were blinded and I knew I had won.
So I took what's mine by eternal right.
Took your soul out into the night.
It may be over but it won't stop there,
I am here for you if you'd only care.
You touched my heart you touched my soul.
You changed my life and all my goals.
And love is blind and that I knew when,
My heart was blinded by you.
I've kissed your lips and held your head.
Shared your dreams and shared your bed.
I know you well, I know your smell.
I've been addicted to you.

“Mommy, where’s daddy?” seven year old Isabelle Vaughn looked up at her mother.

“You know where daddy is sweetie” Sydney sighed and kissed her daughters forehead.

“I don’t understand” Isabelle shook her head, “Why did he have to go?”

“Daddy had to go because God decided that it was time for him to live up in heaven” Sydney whispered.

“Did daddy do something wrong?” Isabelle asked her sadly.

“No” Sydney shook her head, “Daddy didn’t do anything wrong. But it’s time for you to go to bed”

“Can we talk to him again tonight?” Isabelle asked.

Sydney sighed; it was going to be another one of those nights where Isabelle just couldn’t sleep because she didn’t understand why her father wasn’t coming home. Those nights were the worst; Sydney didn’t know what to say to the little girl who just wanted her father to come back and read her a bedtime story, “Of course”

“Thank you” Isabelle nodded, “I’ll go put jammie’s on”

“Good girl” Sydney smiled as she watched Isabelle skip off to her own room.

Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.

“You can’t go” Sydney whispered, her hands on his chest, trying to keep the blood from pouring out, “Michael please”

“I’m sorry” Vaughn choked on his final words, “I love you”

“No Vaughn, this can’t be it” Sydney sobbed.

“Sorry” he choked again.

“Shhh” Sydney silenced him by placing a gentle kiss on his lips, “Don’t talk”

Sydney sat there, waiting for backup, where the hell were they? She had her hands on his chest, covering the wound that would inevitably be the cause of his death.

“Michael no” Sydney screamed as she fully realized that he was gone. “Please, no”

I am a dreamer but when I wake,
You can't break my spirit - it's my dreams you take.
And as you move on, remember me,
Remember us and all we used to be
I've seen you cry, I've seen you smile.
I've watched you sleeping for a while.
I'd be the father of your child.
I'd spend a lifetime with you.
I know your fears and you know mine.
We've had our doubts but now we're fine,
And I love you, I swear that's true.
I cannot live without you.

“Mommy” Isabelle came downstairs and tugged on her mothers arm.

“Hmm?” Sydney smiled at the little girl.

“You said we could go upstairs and talk to daddy”

“I didn’t, didn’t I?” Sydney smiled softly, “Let’s go”

“Thank you” Isabelle smiled and skipped up the stairs, Sydney following close behind her.

“Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my soul to keep, and if I die before I wake I pray the lord my soul to take. God bless daddy” Isabelle recited the prayer like every other night, “Hi daddy, it’s me, Izzy” Isabelle smiled as Sydney sat beside her, “I miss you, mommy said I could talk to you again today…I wish you would talk back” as the words escaped her lips, Sydney immediately felt her heart break. “We had meat loaf last night, the type mommy makes that you love. It was really good. I wish you could have been here to have some. Today we went to the park, mommy promised me I could get a puppy, I wanna name it Abby, like the puppy you had when you were little, I’ll make sure they look just like each other, I’m sure there’s a picture somewhere in the picture albums”

“Honey” Sydney whispered, begging herself not to cry in front of the little girl.

“Daddy, if you can hear me…please, will you please, please, please come home? I really miss you. I love you daddy. Amen”

Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me

“It’s time for bed” Sydney kissed Isabelle’s head.

“Night mommy, I love you” Isabelle hugged her.

“I love you too honey” Sydney exhaled slowly.

*~*

“Sydney, we think it would be best if these files remain confidential. Locked and sealed” Jack Bristow looked at his daughter.

“So no one will ever know that he existed after his ‘death’ before I had Izzy?” Sydney sighed.

“Sydney, it will only cause more problems for all of us” Jack told her, “No one knew that Michael Vaughn was still alive except for Prophet Five, Renee and APO”

“I just…dad I can’t let you lock him away. I don’t want anyone to forget him” Sydney whispered.

“Sydney, ultimately, we’re doing what he would have wanted” Jack told her calmly.

“How is this what he wanted?” Sydney asked him.

“I’m protecting his wife and his daughter. That is all Michael Vaughn would have ever wanted” Jack hugged his daughter close.

“Daddy…I miss him” Sydney let the tears fall from her eyes, something that she rarely did at home because she didn’t want to upset her daughter.

“I just need to take a bath and wind down” Sydney sighed as she walked into her bedroom and closed the door, oddly enough, although it had been nearly a year since her husband’s death, his side of the room was exactly the same. His cologne was still on his dresser, his wallet on the bedside table. The washroom was the exact same, his toothbrush sat beside hers. For some reason, Sydney couldn’t bring herself to dispose of what remained of him in her house. She couldn’t bring herself to actually admit that maybe, maybe he was gone.

Sydney walked into the washroom, she put the plug into the bathtub and turned the water on, watching steam rise as the hot water poured in. Silently, she took a match and lit the candles that were in the room, filling it with the scent of vanilla, Michael’s favourite.

“I love you” Sydney whispered as she stared out the window, saying her own silent prayer for the father, the friend, the lover, the husband and the soul mate that she had lost.

And I still hold your hand in mine.
In mine when I'm asleep.
And I will bare my soul in time,
When I'm kneeling at your feet.
Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.
I'm so hollow, baby, I'm so hollow.
I'm so, I'm so, I'm so hollow.

“Hi daddy, it’s me, Izzy” Isabelle smiled as Sydney sat beside her, “I miss you, mommy said I could talk to you again today…I wish you would talk back” as the words escaped her lips, Sydney immediately felt her heart break. “We had meat loaf last night, the type mommy makes that you love. It was really good. I wish you could have been here to have some. Today we went to the park, mommy promised me I could get a puppy, I wanna name it Abby, like the puppy you had when you were little, I’ll make sure they look just like each other, I’m sure there’s a picture somewhere in the picture albums”

“Honey” Sydney whispered, begging herself not to cry in front of the little girl.

“Daddy, if you can hear me…please, will you please, please, please come home? I really miss you. I love you daddy. Amen
:cry: Poor Isabelle.... :cry: All she wants is for her daddy to come back home...

Great job. I love the use of the song. :smiley: Thanks for a great one parter!

That was sad! When Izzy was talking to her dad, my heart was breaking. I was almost gonna cry. I can only imagine how Syd was feeling, hearing her daughter talk like that!

Great job!

Megan

:cry: That was so sad!!!!!!!! Especially when Isabelle was talking to Vaughn. I don't know how you do it. I was just erading FW and it was so fluffy and happy and then I read this and it's just sad and makes me cry. In spite of that, it was still an amazing one parter. Great job.

~Karen

holy :thud: that was awesome!!
but sooooo :cry: sad... dude!
i felt like it was leading to something though... like is he really dead or not?
i'm gonna say it, just so its been said but... sequel? :whistle:

Back