How to REALLY support Alias (when it returns)

This is the bottom line. Life and death for TV shows is based on advertising. Ad rates are set by the ratings. The rating system is pure BS. I don't care what Nielsen says (Nielsen | Audience is Everything), there's NO WAY you can accurately measure what's being watched on TV, unless you measure EVERYONE, and not just a sample. The science behind it may be credible, but you're not talking about making soup and puling carrots out of a soup. This is about personal tastes. Ask yourself this question. Do YOU have a Nielsen box? I don't. Do YOU get the diary? I don't. How in the hell do THEY know what I watch?

Anyway, we have to show ABC that we are watching. Even stars of Alias believe that more people are watching the show than what's being shown in the ratings. Here's what I feel must be done, and it has to be a coordinated, cooperative effort.

One website (it should actually be ABC's, but this site would suffice) should select ONE product advertised on the show that is affordable for all who watch. Evryone who watched Alias that week should go out and BUY that product. It might be shampoo. It might be a jar of spaghetti sauce. Doesn't matter. THEN take the receipt, label or proof of purchase...date it and make a copy of it, then send one copy to ABC Entertainment, and the other to the company who makes that product.
If the ratings show that six or seven million homes watch Alias, but ABC gets nine or ten million pieces of mail, what do you think they'll think? Granted, it's unrealistic that they'll get ten million pieces of mail, but it's a more accurate depiction of how many people are watching, and they might do more to protect the show. That's my suggestion. Feedback?

It's true what you say about the Nielsen ratings. I have never felt that it gives an accurate assessment. I know I don't have a box and I have never known anyone who has. I also believe that more people do watch Alias than what is believed. One example is that a statistic came out not too long ago that said Alias was the 9th (I believe) most Tivo'd show.

Advertisers hate Tivo. They might as well not advertise at all when people are watching on Tivo . . . I'll be happy to buy products advertised on Alias--but I really can't use (what is it?) Crestor (?--and those cutesy, rhyming ads? Ick.), and I am just not buying a Ford, sorry.
;) ✌️

verdantheart said:
Advertisers hate Tivo. They might as well not advertise at all when people are watching on Tivo . . . I'll be happy to buy products advertised on Alias--but I really can't use (what is it?) Crestor (?--and those cutesy, rhyming ads? Ick.), and I am just not buying a Ford, sorry.
;) ✌️
Lol, I don't think anyone here really wants to buy a Ford to prove how much they love Alias. :lol:

VaughnFan13 said:
verdantheart said:
Advertisers hate Tivo. They might as well not advertise at all when people  are watching on Tivo . . . I'll be happy to buy products advertised on Alias--but I really can't use (what is it?) Crestor (?--and those cutesy, rhyming ads? Ick.), and I am just not buying a Ford, sorry.
;) ✌️
Lol, I don't think anyone here really wants to buy a Ford to prove how much they love Alias. :lol:
Maybe if Jay Leno is an Alias fan. He collects cars anyway.
:lol:

I thought I said an "affordable" product, like toothpaste or a razor or whatever. I'm surely not expecting anyone to go out and buy a big-ticket item like a Ford. That would be dumb.

Just joking . . . there are times when you need to buy a car, after all. :lol:

freakforalias said:
It's true what you say about the Nielsen ratings. I have never felt that it gives an accurate assessment. I know I don't have a box and I have never known anyone who has. I also believe that more people do watch Alias than what is believed. One example is that a statistic came out not too long ago that said Alias was the 9th (I believe) most Tivo'd show.
I had never even heard about one before I was looking at Alias ratings...why aren't they just in every tv? maybe thats sounds too much like 1984 but it makes sense if they're going to give shows ratings!

I still don't even understand this whole Nielsen stuff....how, why, who....

its the ratings system. another way to support is write to abc and comment on an episode, or buy the merchandise.

Maybe we should all go out and get a Nielson box...can u do that? how do you do that?

I agree...I think the rating are completely bogus...it just isn't an accurate way to measure..

alias:kate_jones said:
Maybe we should all go out and get a Nielson box...can u do that? how do you do that?

I agree...I think the rating are completely bogus...it just isn't an accurate way to measure..
Unfortunately, you can't just go out and get a Nielsen box. They have strict controls on who gets one and who doesn't. They don't want to ruin their "sample".

The only way to REALLY guage what people are watching is to be able to register and track what EVERYONE is watching...a chip or a box on every TV in the country Unfortunately, that brings up those nasty privacy issues that everyone cares so much about (although I do believe that one day, this will be a reality...if it isn't already).

Until that time, they only way to speak up is at the cash register.

Subway advertised on the previous episode. I'm considering going to Subway for lunch today. If I do, I'm going to get a receipt, copy it and send one copy to ABC and the other to Subway. If all people who watch Alias (and I know it's unrealistic that ALL Alias watchers would do this) would do the same thing and all at one time, ABC and their advertisers could gather more accurate data instead of relying on the BS Neilsen Ratings system...a system that undercounts at every turn.

If you should decide to do the same...

ABC, Inc.
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4551

Subway Franchise Headquarters
325 Bic Drive
Milford, CT 06460 USA

I'm going to tell ABC that I am a loyal Alias viewer, and I decided to support this advertiser on this day, because they advertised on Alias. And I'm going to tell Subway that I decided to patronize them on this day because they advertised on Alias.

If all of us this this-supported one particular advertiser with an AFFORDABLE product every week...

Dig what I'm saying?

Ick. I wish I actually liked Subway . . . I'll have to go back and look at the ads that I haven't erased and see what they've got . . .
:confused:

The whole Nielsen box thing is BS!!! I've never known anyone that has one. But i totally wanna get one just to support Alias. You should post this receipt idea over at SupportAlias.com you'll get a lot of people to join u!!!

Back