Jen as CIA Poster Girl

M

Marlene

From The Courier-Mail-

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Call my (CIA) agent</span>
Michael McKenna
July 24, 2003

ONLY in America would you find a Hollywood fantasy deployed to help combat a very dangerous reality.

US spy agency, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has a new recruitment poster girl and it isn't President George W. Bush's top security adviser Condoleezza Rice.

Instead, the CIA has turned to actress Jennifer Garner, the student-turned double agent on the Seven network's TV series, Alias, to lure Americans into the spy game for the new age of terrorism.

It is not an entirely absurd strategy.

In its third season, Alias has finally begun to convert its critical acclaim into ratings success in the US and around the world, due in part to the growing popularity of Garner.

A former ballerina from the deep south of the US, Garner has a healthy mix of girl-next-door and athletic beauty that has won over audiences and made her one of Hollywood's rising stars.

Over the past three years, the 31-year-old actor has won a Golden Globe award and made a jump to movies, culminating in her starring role in comic book blockbuster Daredevil, opposite Ben Affleck.

Despite her success on the big screen, which also involves a spin-off sequel to her Elektra character in Daredevil, Garner has made a rare commitment to the series, signing on for another six seasons as agent Sydney Bristow.

It was a decision, Garner says, on the eve of the third season premiere in Australia on July 28, that was easy to make. "There was no choice for me, I play Sydney Bristow; that's my day job," Garner says.

"Anything else . . . if Elektra fits in this summer, great . . . but Sydney comes first."

The third season of Alias is still action-packed but there is a greater emphasis on the relationships between characters – particularly the smouldering romance between Bristow and commander Michael Vaughn, played by Michael Vartan.

"There has been a lot of changes to this season, we needed to take a new direction in some areas because there was a danger the characters could get a little tired," Garner says.

"With Sydney, it was definitely time for her to be romantic, to explore that with Michael.

"Most people say that once the tension of a romance is gone then the romance of the show is dead – you know, that happened I guess on Moonlighting – but our show is not built around this tension.

"There is much more . . . it is just one element."

Garner says that the show is trying to get even sexier and much of the focus is on her.

"The producers of Alias have me sometimes dressing provocatively, and if that will get a bigger audience, that's fine," she says.

"I'm not at all hung up about showing my body."

Keeping fit has been part of her life since she was a youngster, growing up in West Virginia, and aspiring to a ballet career.

The former theatre actor, who made her stage debut in off-Broadway productions, says her body has always been part of her career so she keeps it in top shape.

"It's such a big part of my life," she says.

"Not that I work out so much – I only work out an hour a day. It's just that I don't miss . . . I pretty much fit it into my day.

"When your schedule is as packed as mine is, your day has to be manipulated."

She is, in her own words, no longer the meek girl from the South but Hollywood's newest "action chick" – and she could not be happier.

"The last year has been beyond my wildest dreams, and then some, with the success of Alias and the movie roles," she says.

"I started out wanting to do theatre, Shakespeare and Ginsberg, but I've taken a strange detour where I'm dressing in tight leathers and kicking people.

"It's great, I'll eventually get back to doing the more serious acting, but at the moment I'm loving the action stuff."

As for being the pin-up girl for the CIA, Garner is happy to serve.

"CIA operatives supposedly love the show," she says. "The CIA is using the video (and posters) to try to help recruit people into the CIA.

"It makes you feel so patriotic."

"CIA operatives supposedly love the show," she says. "The CIA is using the video (and posters) to try to help recruit people into the CIA.

haha that's gr8, cuz i'm seriously considering joining the CIA. I'm teaching myslef French, and taking Spanish, and I'm really physically fit. :D

"I started out wanting to do theatre, Shakespeare and Ginsberg, but I've taken a strange detour where I'm dressing in tight leathers and kicking people."

Now that is funny...I'm gunna put it in my sig now!

It was a decision, Garner says, on the eve of the third season premiere in Australia on July 28, that was easy to make. "There was no choice for me, I play Sydney Bristow; that's my day job," Garner says.

OMG! the third season premiere!!! so that means that some people actually know already what's going to happen?!!?!?!?! :woot: :woot:
why do we have to wait untill september????? It's just NOT fair!!!! :angry: :angry:
I can't wait much longer. and I can't even watch it when it aires on the television in the US. I live in Holland and I have to download every episode, because the last and newest episode they showed here was "The Coup" !!!!!
I hate my country! :angry: :angry:

maartje

Why are they using Jennifer Garner as a poster girl for the CIA when "Alias" is so divorced from reality? If people join thinking they're going to be Sydney Bristow, they are in for a disappointment, I think. :blink:

well... some may think it would be a disappointment... because sometimes it gives us the wrong view of the CIA... not everything is successful, but then Alias is just a TV show portraying some problems with the CIA.

dutch sydney bristow said:

OMG! the third season premiere!!! so that means that some people actually know already what's going to happen?!!?!?!?! :woot: :woot:
why do we have to wait untill september????? It's just NOT fair!!!! :angry: :angry:
I can't wait much longer. and I can't even watch it when it aires on the television in the US. I live in Holland and I have to download every episode, because the last and newest episode they showed here was "The Coup" !!!!!

maartje
they finished filming it already?!?!? i need to talk to some Australian people now...

wait i am confused now. I thought they were filming now....b/c someone on vartan ho said they were filming outside her office n vaughn was there.

VaughnFan13 said:
dutch sydney bristow said:

maartje
they finished filming it already?!?!? i need to talk to some Australian people now...
Oh, that must be an error. After all, we just got the news from Grunberg about the script and Ms Garner has barely finished her movie work. They must mean the second season premiere. Haven't we heard complaints from Australian fans that they're behind?
;)

Ophelia said:
Why are they using Jennifer Garner as a poster girl for the CIA when "Alias" is so divorced from reality? If people join thinking they're going to be Sydney Bristow, they are in for a disappointment, I think.  :blink: 
Because it's fun and it gets attention. The spooks love the series even if it isn't realistic. And why not? Are the posters recruiting people into the armed services truly realistic? I mean, not everyone in the Air Force gets to be a jet pilot; far from it.
;)

Good point there.

And the ozzies are far behind. Even more so than the UK.

SA has finished season 2 already, so eat that Aussies!!!!

This is what an Aussie had to say in the Lena topic on July 24:

OH my god alias is going to be on two nights a week here starting Monday 28th July 2003. YIIHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA is all I can say to that, I get to see Lena Olin on telly and tape her!!! Woo Hoo
So, they're just now getting season 2. The article was in error.
;)

Marlene said:
The third season of Alias is still action-packed but there is a greater emphasis on the relationships between characters – particularly the smouldering romance between Bristow and commander Michael Vaughn, played by Michael Vartan.

"There has been a lot of changes to this season, we needed to take a new direction in some areas because there was a danger the characters could get a little tired," Garner says.

"With Sydney, it was definitely time for her to be romantic, to explore that with Michael.
Wait. Wait. Wait. They're talking bout the 3rd season here, right? Not the 2nd? If, so, Yipee! With Michael! :smiley:

Back