Season 3 Lauren tonight's episode

Lauren's mom most certainly works for the covenant, we saw her saving Sark from being beaten up by an old monk, and acting as her daughter's handler and recieving the code key.

At the beginning of the ep, Lauren seems to be shown through others' point of view, cold heartless, but by the end of the ep, when she finds out Vaughn knows she's a mole, we're again glimpsing the conflicted, two-sided Lauren of the last few episodes. We also see her trying to prove to her mother, who is constantly talking down to her, that she is capable. Why must she constantly prove herself to her mother? Why does her mother treat her daughter like a failure? These are only a few questions raised by this episode, here are a few more (speculate if you have theories about where the story is going):

Why did Lauren want to see Sloane's execution so badly?

Why did Lauren seek counselling? Does she want to keep up the facade of a regular marriage, or does she really want to patch things up with Vaughn, and keep him away from Sydney?

What is up with the relationship between Lauren and her mummy dearest? Do they have any real loyalty to each other? What was Lauren's mother's part in recruiting her to the covenant?

How high in the covenant is Mrs. Reed?

How do you think Lauren's character will react in the next episode, now that she knows Vaughn's eyes are open to her treachery? Do you think she'll be feeling any remorse for the loss of her marriage? Do you think her wedding day really was 'the happiest day' of her life?

Who will be more hurt by the end of their 'marriage', Vaughn or Lauren? Who is more emotionally invested?

Which do you think affected Lauren more, knowing she'd been outed as a mole, or knowing her days as Vaughn's wife were over?

Will Vaughn really be affected by Lauren's betrayal 30 years in the future, just like Jack?

Does the Vaughn/Lauren/Sark triangle at all parallel the Jack/Irina/Sloane triangle? In each case, who does the woman have the deeper feelings for, if any?

yah shes def an important part of the covanent...havent seen the whole ep yet but from what ive seen so far, thats how i feel.

Silverdewdrop said:
Looks like that's one of her assignments--to get him out of the picture. I wonder if she's attached to this Trust?

Why did Lauren seek counselling? Does she want to keep up the facade of a regular marriage, or does she really want to patch things up with Vaughn, and keep him away from Sydney?
She wants to keep spying on him, so she needs pretend that she wants it to work.

She certainly is an experienced spy.

Do you think she'll be feeling any remorse for the loss of her marriage? Do you think her wedding day really was 'the happiest day' of her life?
With her, really hard to tell--we have to wait. As for the other, probably not since she married for her job. Did she "come to love" Vaughn? Who can tell?

Who will be more hurt by the end of their 'marriage', Vaughn or Lauren? Who is more emotionally invested?
Again, Lauren is incredibly difficult to read because she's poorly written. Vaughn, at least, had the greater initial emotional investment., even if it was on a slightly bogus basis (he was projecting his feelings for Sydney onto Lauren).

Which do you think affected Lauren more, knowing she'd been outed as a mole, or knowing her days as Vaughn's wife were over?
Considering how precarious her position is, it might be her "outing."

Will Vaughn really be affected by Lauren's betrayal 30 years in the future, just like Jack?
Affected? Yes. "Just like Jack"? Definitely not. Vaughn simply DOES NOT have the same emotional investment in Lauren that Jack had (and continues to have) in Irina, and the fact that he HAS ALWAYS held back part of himself (whether he admits it or not) for Sydney will make a difference to Vaughn. Jack gave himself over completely to Irina, so her betrayal of him crushed him completely. Vaughn cannot have given himself over completely to Lauren, so he cannot be crushed completely by her betrayal.

Does the Vaughn/Lauren/Sark triangle at all parallel the Jack/Irina/Sloane triangle? In each case, who does the woman have the deeper feelings for, if any?
Not exactly. There are no children involved (that we know of), and it doesn't look like the emotions run as deep. Sark can in no way be looked upon as Vaughn's friend, so there is no expectation of loyalty. It's hard to tell for whom Lauren cares more--at least from this viewpoint. She seemed to care more about daddy than anybody else. She expressed some compassion for Dixon.
;) ✌️

Joyie said:
Lauren's mom is almost as a bad a character as Lauren is.
haha i agree...although shes WAY smarter than lauren. she knew the cia knew about her before lauren did, and lauren was round the entire cia, playing her!

verdantheart said:
Affected? Yes. "Just like Jack"? Definitely not. Vaughn simply DOES NOT have the same emotional investment in Lauren that Jack had (and continues to have) in Irina, and the fact that he HAS ALWAYS held back part of himself (whether he admits it or not) for Sydney will make a difference to Vaughn. Jack gave himself over completely to Irina, so her betrayal of him crushed him completely. Vaughn cannot have given himself over completely to Lauren, so he cannot be crushed completely by her betrayal.
No kidding. Picture Vaughn being as devastated to learn that she had an affair with Sark as Jack was to learn that Irina had an affair with Sloane. Not even CLOSE! <_<

yah i totally agree. as far as we know, jack wasnt in love with another woman, and vaughn is. years from now he'll prob look at it as a blessing in disguise.

To answer the a few questions from above, here are some of my theories...

Lauren wanted to see Sloane's execution to make sure it happened. it seemed from lauren's conversation with her mother at the end that he was a hinderance in the convenant's search for the passenger.

Lauren probably wanted counseling for the sake of keeping their marriage together. her link to vaughn is apparently very important as the mole so she has to do whatever she can otherwise she might end up dead (as she almost did in the last epi)

Lastly i think the Vaughn/Lauren/Sark Triangle is a little different from the Jack/Irina/Sloane relationship. I remember when Lauren jumped Sarks bones after they had that mission together running from Syd and Vaughn. It didnt look like she was doing it for the job as much as for fun. From watching last nights epi, supposedly Irinia sought out sloane for more for her job...she always had an endgame. Seriously, you look at Sark versus Vaughn and then Jack versus Sloane. Lauren is an embarrassing amateur compared to irinia derevko.

But seriously, if i was evil lauren and i could have YUMMY SARK AND GORGEOUS VAUGHN? is there any questions? and Jack is hot in the diabolic spy daddy way but sloane? ewww...great actor but ewww...

BurningStar said:
Does Lauren's mom care that Lauren will be killed by the covenant soon for being found out as the mole?
i dont think so!!! i feel like lauren is just a covanent asset to her...not a daughter.

You know it didn't make ANY sense that Lauren would know about Syd's half-sister's heritage. She wanted Sloane out of the picture so he no longer interferes in their search for the Passenger.

Here's a whopping speculation for you. What if Sloane's been playing both sides? Sorta like how Irina did with the CIA. He got close in order to manipulate. While he served as a double agent and making CIA and the Covenant think that they control him, he was actually manipulating/controlling them. What I mean is, what if Sloane is the unknown head of the Covenant?!? And the people at the bottom of the Covenant food chain do not know they are competing against the very man who employs them in search for the Passenger.

Think about it, if you've tried finding the Passenger yourself through the world health organization and failed, who would you go next to get the job done? The two greatest spy organizations, of course. And then pit them against one another because there's nothing like competition to get that job done.

I don't know. I think maybe she just wanted to make sure he was "dead." Maybe she suspected that he might not really die. Also, it seems like she gets off on seeing death, and maybe the thought of seeing Sloane die excited her. Also, Sloane taunted her about her marriage to Vaughn and about her father not letting her be field trained. Maybe she holds some resentment towards him for that.

I think she knows that she's close to losing Vaughn - after all, he asked for a separation right before her father's murder. She knows she needs to do something, and fast, in order to keep Vaughn around. And, I think she likes torturing Sydney. Lauren seems to be the type of person who wants to be the best, the first, at everything. She doesn't like it that Vaughn loves Sydney more than her. I don't think Lauren cares about Vaughn beyond that, though.

What is up with the relationship between Lauren and her mummy dearest? Do they have any real loyalty to each other? What was Lauren's mother's part in recruiting her to the covenant?
I don't know. Their relationship hasn't really been explained, and to be honest, I think that PL is a terrible actress in this. I've heard she was great on The Mod Squad, but this...she's just bad. I can't stand to watch her almost.

Pretty high, I'd say. Sark takes orders from her, and he's co-chair of the N. American cell.

How do you think Lauren's character will react in the next episode, now that she knows Vaughn's eyes are open to her treachery? Do you think she'll be feeling any remorse for the loss of her marriage? Do you think her wedding day really was 'the happiest day' of her life?
Well, we've gotten no insight into the character of Lauren - one day she's evil, the next she's got a conscience all of a sudden...her behavior is extremely erratic. I would say that Vaughn is probably the only person in her life who has ever been kind to her and paid her attention, so yes, I would say that their wedding day was the happiest of her life. She has Sark now, but it's not clear if Sark actually has any feelings for her or actually cares about her.

I think Lauren will be more hurt. Losing Vaughn to Sydney will bruise her ego - she didn't win, and LR doesn't seem like a woman who likes to lose. Vaughn will be hurt, but only because he'll feel stupid for not recognizing who she was. He'll also feel badly because he's lost so much time with Sydney. Since Vaughn wanted out of the marriage anyways, I don't think he's going to be too broken up about having it annulled.

I don't know. I think the wife thing...I don't think she liked the idea of Vaughn playing her, even though she did it to him every day. Again, it's about her winning, about her ego - and Vaughn has crushed it because she realizes that the last few days of marital bliss have all been for show.

Not affected like Jack. Of course he'll remember it. But Jack was betrayed by the love of his life. Vaughn was not betrayed by the love of his life. If Sydney had betrayed Vaughn, it would be a parallel scenario. But since the feelings between Lauren and Vaughn were never very strong to begin with, it seems, I don't think that it will take much time for Vaughn to get over her betrayal. I think he'll feel guilty mostly for the time he's lost with Sydney, and he'll hate Lauren for that. But I don't feel that he'll be like Jack in that respect.

Sort of. You've got two wives on swallow missions having affairs with other men in intelligence. The similarities stop there, though. Lauren is definitely not the spy Irina was. Sloane and Jack were best friends - Sark and Vaughn are definitely not. Irina loves Jack, clearly. Sloane...I'm sure her affair with him will end up being Rambaldi related. And I would guess that Lauren loves Vaughn more...though her erratic behavior makes it hard for me to decide.

I don't like the elder Mrs. Reed. I think she's very dry and boring, I don't feel intrigued by her or her motives. I don't like that she is above Lauren and Sark and she all of a sudden has all this power. She's not very motherly to her daughter, hell, Irina cares more about Syd and she shot her in the arm.

She's not very consistent, she can sneak up on the monk but she gets all flustered when Vaughn shows up at her house. And why is Sark taking orders from her? The first two seasons Sark was this bad ass assassin who takes no orders from anyone and then in this episode he gets his ass beat by the monk (which I kind of liked :P ) fails in his assignment to get the monk back alive and takes orders from this weak character I don't like.

I hope the rest of the Reed family gets killed off soon.

Back