Life is for Living

This is my first fan fic ever so I hope you like it.

Title: Life is for Living
Author: MissingSark
Rating: PG-PG13
What you need to know: It’s an Alternate Universe. It's senior year of high school for Syd, Julian, Vaughn, Will, Francie, Eric, and Lauren. Syd and Vaughn and Will and Francie are dating. Julian's the new kid in school. While this story is centered around Sydney and Julian, it’s my intention to spend time with the supporting characters as well.
Disclaimer: S/V shippers (of which I am one) will have to forgive me, but I just felt like letting Julian and Sydney have a nice story. While Sarkney may be a pipe dream in Alias World, it can be a reality in my AU. Please note that Sark’s not Sark in this story and therefore not a villain. He’s just Julian. Finally, I don't own Alias or any of the characters. Although I wish I did own Julian Sark and Jack Bristow. *sigh*

This story was inspired by the words of “Life is for Living” by Coldplay.

Now I never meant to do you wrong,
That’s what I came here to say.
But if I was wrong then I’m sorry,
I don’t let it stand in our way.
As my head just aches when I think of,
The things that I shouldn’t have done.
But life is for living we all know,
And I don’t wanna live it alone.

Here goes nothing.

Chapter One

Life was good for Sydney Bristow. Tomorrow, when she walked down the school hallway arm-in-arm with her steady guy, Michael Vaughn, it would be as a senior. Only one more year until college life or adult life as she liked to refer to it. Sydney couldn't help but smile.

"What’s that smile for?” Michael asked.

“I was just thinking about how tomorrow is going to be such a momentous day. We’re finally seniors! It’s the beginning of the end of our high school career.” Sydney replied, lazily playing with her food. She turned to look at Michael and gave him one of her charming smiles. The smallest dimple appeared at the corner of his mouth as he smiled back.

Sydney was seated at a table with her closest friends, celebrating the final day of summer freedom. Next to her was Michael. Across from her was her two best friends Will and Francie. At the head of the table was Michael’s best friend Eric.

“I’ve been waiting my whole life to be a senior and now that I’m finally going to be one, I’m a little freaked by it. How weird is that?” Will asked, running a hand through his already tousled blonde hair.

“I think it’s normal. We’re so anxious to become adults yet we fear the impending responsibilities that growing up brings so we fight to remain teenagers forever.” Francie said while playing with Will’s other arm which was draped over her shoulder.

“Thank you, Miss Psych 101. All I’m really worried about is what college is going to accept me and my lousy GPA. If I have to go to a junior college, I swear that I’m going to kill myself.” Eric grabbed another slice of pizza.

Michael sighed and shook his dark blonde head. “Here we go again.”

“Dude, what are you talking about? If I had your GPA, I’d be doing backflips!” Will cried.

“Besides, there’s nothing wrong with junior college, Eric.” Sydney replied.

“Obviously, you have not grown up in the Weiss family. I have a cousin who was practically disowned because he wanted to go to junior college for two years in order to save up to buy a car. He’s still taking the bus to the university.”

“Is this the cousin who’s studying to be an engineer?” Will asked.

“Yes! Don’t get me started about the whole “major” issue. My parents want me to do something intelligent like become a doctor. They don’t understand that the only things I’m good are magic tricks and making witty remarks.”

“Well, they say that laughter is the best medicine.” Michael pointed out.

“That’s not helping, Mike.” Eric replied, throwing his napkin at him.

“Don’t forget that you also make a delicious chocolate souffle,” Francie added. “You could work for me as a chef in my restaurant.”

“Yes, my parents would love that! I think it’s insane that all my friends have their lives planned out already. You’ve got the restaurant thing. Will wants to be a journalist. Syd wants to be an English teacher. Michael wants to be lawyer. Then you and Will will get married and Syd and Michael will get married and have like ten kids each. I’ll be single, unemployed, and referred to as Crazy Uncle Eric by your kids.” Eric threw up his hands.

As Eric said these words, Sydney couldn’t help but glimpse into the future. She couldn’t imagine anything contrary to what he said, except for the having ten kids part. Ever since she was a small child, she had wanted to be an English teacher as her mother had been. It had made her feel connected to her mother even though Laura Bristow had been dead for almost twelve years.

Michael had always been a constant in her life as well. It felt like they had been destined for each other from birth. He had always been there and Syd felt certain that he would always be there. She couldn’t imagine her life without him.

“Don’t worry, Eric. I feel quite certain that this is your year for relationship bliss.” Francie smiled.

“Will, make your girlfriend stop mocking my pain.”

“Sorry, pal. I can’t make her do anything.” Will smiled, wrapping his arm tighter around Francie.

“Maybe you’d find a girl who’d have you if you stopped eating so much.” Michael watched Eric reach for another slice of pizza. “I thought you were on a diet.”

“Diets are for losers. Besides, as I see it, there’s just more of me for a girl to love and far be it from me to deny her of that privilege.” This brought laughter to the sound of his ears.

“We’ll see if your theory holds true.” Sydney giggled.

“No doubt you will.” Eric took a bite of his pizza. “Now, this is bliss.”

“Do you need to be alone with the pizza?” Michael asked and then recoiled as Eric kicked him under the table.

Michael turned to Sydney. “So, do I need to pick you up tomorrow?” He playfully fingered a lock of her long, brown hair.

“Nope. Will and I are walking to school tomorrow. It’s a tradition, you know. It wouldn’t feel right to not walk to school together.”

Will lived across the street from Sydney, and it had been their custom to walk to school together since they were in the second grade. Even when they got older and could drive, they always made a point to walk to school together on the first day.

“Too true.” Will agreed, smiling at Sydney.

“Better believe it! We wouldn’t want to start school on the wrong foot now, would we?” Sydney smiled, feeling confidant that tomorrow was going to be a wonderful day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life was bad for Julian Lazarey. Tomorrow, he would walk down the halls of another new school in another new town. It was another year of trying to decide whether it would be worth the effort to attempt to make friends
because next year, he would be somewhere else and alone again. What was the point of getting attached to people? They just ended up leaving you or you left them.

He and his father had moved into this house over a month ago and this was the first meal that they'd had together. For some reason unknown to Julian, his father had decided that tonight they would eat dinner together like a "normal family".

“Julian, pass the potatoes.” His father's cold voice snapped him out of his revere.

“Yes sir.” Julian handed the potatoes to his father.

So far, that had been the extent of their conversation. Julian was not accustomed to talking at great lengths with his father. He was not accustomed to being in the same room at great lengths with his father. To say that the Lazarey men were not close would be an understatement. Andrian was seldom home due to his role at the embassy. When he was home, he rarely saw his son. Julian chose to occupy the other end of the house, leaving his father alone with his work. The house was large enough that the two would sometimes not cross paths all day. This arrangement suited
both father and son just fine.

It had always been this way between them, and Julian felt certain that it would always be this way between them. Even when his mother had been there, Julian had never had much of a relationship with his father. Of course, he'd never had much of a relationship with anyone except Jeffrey, his caretaker.

"My warden is more like it." Julian thought to himself.

Not taking his eyes off his plate, his father spoke again. "Jeffrey will accompany you to school tomorrow."

"I do not need him to accompany me. I am quite capable of getting to school without any supervision from Jeffrey."

"Jeffrey will accompany you."

"But I don't need him to accompany me nor do I wish to have him do so! I'm not a child. I can get to school by myself." Julian knew that he was treading on thin ice. He knew what would happen if he pushed his father too far, but he didn't care. It was now or never. He continued. "Furthermore, this isn't some private school where you have to make a grand entrance to show how well-off you are in order to be accepted."

This brought his father's eyes up from his plate and his fist down hard on the table. "Jeffrey will accompany you to school tomorrow! This is how it will be. Now, if you are done eating, you may be excused from the table."

Julian pushed his chair away from the table and strode angrily out of the room. The last thing he wanted was to draw attention to himself by arriving at school with a glorified babysitter. He was eighteen! Why did his father persist in treating him as a child? Andrian Lazarey had always made it perfectly clear that he could not be bothered with his son, but instead of leaving Julian alone, he delighted in keeping him a virtual prisoner under the watchful eye of Jeffrey.

"At least there is a tiny ray of light at the end of this tunnel. I have one year left. After I graduate, I will be free to leave my father's house and never come back." He comforted himself with this one consolation. It almost made the thought of starting at a new school tomorrow bearable. Almost.

Back