~Midnight Fog~

A/N: Obviously, i don't own anything related to alias...blah...blah...blah. This is set right after the last episode of season four and carries on in the aftermath. I don't know how many chapters this will be yet. It's just something for me to play with so i don't get bored writing the other fics. What i like to call a "loose-collar" fic.

Enjoy....the title will make sense in time.

~Part 1~
~The Conspiracy~

The stench was rather overwhelming, he thought. The smell of the products used to clean the linoleum floors and the counter tops in the room. Then there was the light. The florescent bulbs hanging from the ceiling cast an annoying pure white glow, making the walls and the sheets look even brighter.

The soft beeping of the monitor is what kept him awake, and the sound of the oxygen machine compressing and expanding as it pumped air through its tubes. The occupant of the bed lay rather lifeless, fighting a losing battle on the inside instead of the outside.

His broken eyes scanned her still form that was covered by the wool blankets. This was his punishment, he thought it was atleast. He had kept something enormous from her, a secret that he didn’t think needed to be told was now slowly taking her away from him. He could see it, he could see her fading away.

Sydney Bristow had always fought for what she believed in, and she always came out on top in the end. But he wasn’t sure that’s how it would happen this time. Maybe this time she didn’t believe enough, maybe she didn’t want to fight, maybe she couldn’t. He hadn’t been able to explain the situation to her, to give her a logical explanation that would put her mind at ease. But when he told her he wasn’t who she thought he was, he could see her heartbreak through her eyes.

He felt horrible. The way she had looked at him made him want to curl up in a ball and cry himself to death. But she didn’t hate him, she was disappointed. And to him disappointing Sydney Bristow was much worse than being disliked by her.

He’d been there for three days, and in three days he hadn’t moved from the room once. Eric, Jack, Marshall, and Dixon had stopped in to see her from time to time, but he stayed when they didn’t.

He didn’t explain to anyone why he was distracted from the road. He just gave part of the truth, that a white Jeep Cherokee had side-swiped them at the crossroads. No one asked questions, Vaughn was too emotionally drained, everyone saw it.

He looked at his watch and he realized it was closing on nine o’clock. He stood up from the leather chair that one of the nurses had moved in for him. Once they learned that he wasn’t leaving his fiancée’s side, they soon made sure to accommodate him to a greater extent.

As he walked over to the light switch on the wall he felt his leg muscles stretch. He hadn’t walked around in nearly four hours, and it was starting to show. He ran his hand over the switch and turned off the lights in the room. The only one that stayed on was a small lamp in the corner of the room. He slowly walked back over to the bed, but didn’t sit down.

He leaned over her slightly and pulled the covers further up her body before standing straight up and looking down upon her. He sighed to himself before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on her forehead, making sure not to disturb the stitches above her left eyebrow.

“I love you.” He told her softly. “Please come back to me.”

He pushed her hair back slightly, away from her forehead, before sitting back down in his spot.

He sat in the dark for a few moments as his thoughts still lingered on nothing but her.

What have I done?

As far as he was concerned, he was Michael C. Vaughn, Central Intelligence Agency employee and patriot. Friend too many and lover to but one. Michael Vaughn fell in love with Sydney Bristow during her time as a double agent. Everything that he did to help her was out of his own heart. He wasn’t commended for being close to her, he wasn’t supposed to love her, but he did, and he couldn’t help it.

This woman saved his life more times than he could count on his two hands alone. And not just physically, but in other ways, ways he couldn’t explain. She had given him so much and she had never realized it.

He felt tears push from under his eyelids as he thought about the time they’d spent together. How incredibly amazing it was the first time they had made love, the first time she came to one of his hockey games, hanging out with Will and…Francie at clubs and bars, sharing silent glances at work, and sometimes secret touches that she would slip him when handing him a folder or brushing past him, sitting on the couch in her apartment watching Casablanca for his first time, her twenty-first, the Frisbee play at a picnic with Eric and Nadia, the double-dates, and even the stupid fights they shared.

He bit the inside of his cheek and took a deep breath as his fingernails clenched into the leather armrests. He tried to calm himself, but it was overwhelming. He hadn’t lied to her when he had told her she was amazing, and that she had made him so happy, more than anyone could. It was all true.

He leaned forward and rested his forearms against his knees as his head hung low. With his hands clasped together he started to talk softly.

“Please, God please just give her back to me.” He said as he closed his eyes. “Take me instead, let her heal. Don’t take her away from me again…”

“Agent Vaughn.” A deep voice spoke from the doorway and Vaughn turned around. Two men in black suits stood there, serious company looks set on their faces. “You’ll need to come with us please.”

Vaughn stood up.

Shi*. He thought. He knew at that very moment, he was made.

“What’s the meaning?” Vaughn asked.

“You’ll have to come with us, sir. Director Chase’s orders.”

One of them pulled out a pair of handcuffs from under his jacket. Vaughn looked down and nodded. He turned to Sydney and leaned over her once again, ready to say his good-byes.

“Sir, back away from Agent Bristow.”

Pain entered Vaughn’s eyes and he stood back up.

“Agent Vaughn…”

“I’m…coming.” He said sternly. He was starting to become edgy due to the fact that they weren’t letting him say good-bye to the woman he loved. His eyes moved over Sydney one more time before he turned around and walked towards the agents sent to retrieve him.

The three of them stood there for a moment. Vaughn held out his wrists and one of the two agents slapped the cuffs on him.

“Under the Federal Law, I am placing you under arrest for conspiracy to commit murder on a fellow CIA agent. You willingly participated in a plot to murder CIA agent Sydney Anne Bristow. You are being placed in Federal custody until further notice.”

ooo another fic..SCORE..can't wait to see what happens to Vaughn and i hope syd gets better...GREAT beginning (y)

-thanx for the PM :D

-can i get another?

ahhhhh! in the words of Vaughn...shi*! i can't wait to see how this goes! loving this fic Kristina, like all the other ones! oh, and keep sending me PMs please :D

Britt

holy s***! this is not happening! what the..?? omg he's being arrested!!! nooo, kristina pm me please!! argh, and update REAL soon!!! oh, btw THAT WAS SOOOO GOOD!!!

Oh sweetie...this is goooood!!! Are you even capable of writing something bad??? I don't think so!! Please keep me on your pm list...pretty much for anything you decide to write...thanks for the pm.

Crinx :rolleyes:

How could anyone think that Vaughn would try to kill Syd. PM me Kristina, I gotta know where you're going with this one.

Thanks for the PM

That was great ... omg poor Vaughn really loves her ... hope Syds ok and wakes up soon ... they think he was trying to kill her ... cant wait to see where this is going ... thanks for the PM ... more soon please

omg! this is really good.
i cant believe how well you write everything, its so detailed i can picture it so clearly!
can i be added to the pm list please
thank you soo much

Back