Mirage

A/N:Hey everyone! This is my first fan-fiction, so please don’t flame me if it sucks ^_^ . I’m sorry if this idea has already been done, I haven’t seen it but I’m assuming it has. Please review and tell me what you think.
It is during Sydney’s missing years, with some twists and turns along the way. First chapter is from Vaughn’s POV. You’ll see where Sydney comes into this, and yes, it is a S/V story eventually :P . It’s obviously AU ^_^

Disclaimer: I own nothing - all belongs to JJ Abrams, ABC, etc.
Rating: So far, PG, may change
Summary: AU - Vaughn getting over losing Sydney, meets Lauren + Julia Thorne. Pre-Full Disclosure. S/V

Mirage: Chapter One – Missing Her

He missed her.

That was all Michael Vaughn could think of as he sat at a bar. He didn’t know which bar, there were just too many nowadays. Michael just went to one to another, not caring what he did with his life anymore. He looked up at the bartender, and noticed that he was staring at him.

“I said,” the bartender said in an annoyed voice “Do you want another drink?”

Michael was bewildered for a moment, the bartender’s words just washing over him, until he was brought back to earth.

“Uh, yeah, sure.” He replied, zoning off the second he finished his answer to the exasperated bartender’s question. He drowned his drink in a matter of seconds.

Sydney … she was his life. And now she was gone. When he saw her apartment burnt to the ground, a part of him died. It was four months today that the fire had happened, they were supposed to go to Santa Barbara. Now Michael was alone. He couldn’t deal with it, so he resorted to drinking. He was contemplating quitting the CIA, it was just too painful to walk in every morning and see the “Fallen Agents” plaque with her name on it … Sydney A. Bristow, had perished in a house fire. It wasn’t fair; she shouldn’t have died like that. Sydney deserved to be a hero.

Michael rubbed his temples, and checked his watch. It read 3:00 am. He sighed. Another sleepless night. The nights were the worst part of the day, he was alone, and all he could think about was Sydney. He resorted to driving around to a bar, for the alcohol lessened the pain. He had applied to a high school, he needed a job, and he already had his teaching degree. Michael’s plan was to become a teacher, but he had joined the CIA instead. If he hadn’t he wouldn’t have met Sydney.

Michael turned his head and looked at the entrance to the bar as a chime went off. A blonde had walked in and took the stool beside him. She was wearing a white blouse, and her dark gray skirt was wrinkled and tired looking. She had an badge around her neck, though Michael didn’t read it.

“A beer please.” The woman asked the bartender. She had an accent, a British accent. Michael glanced at her, but she didn’t even seem to notice him. She looked exhausted, as though she had just had a 48 hour shift at work. As Michael looked closer at her, it seemed as though she had been crying. Her big blue eyes puffy and red, her mascara smudged, though only a little.

The woman noticed Michael looking at her and turned to him.

“Hi, I’m Lauren,” she said, her voice tired, though interested. When Michael didn’t answer she added “And you are …?”

Michael gave her an “I’m-not-in-the-talking-mood” look, but he answered her anyway.

“Michael Vaughn.” He replied, his voice distracted and bored.

He turned away from Lauren; he didn’t feel like talking to anyone at the moment. Neither apparently, did she.

Silence passed between the two, and about 10 minutes later, Lauren paid for her drink and stood up to leave.

“Goodbye Michael.” Lauren said, and walked out of the bar.

Michael drowned another drink, but somehow, the pain was just worse.

Ok, sorry if this is a little slow and short so far, it will get better, and it is a S/V fic! Please review!

-Peri

Awh, thanks guys I'm so glad you like it so far! I'll post 2 or more chapters tomorrow, I'm tired now and I'm going to bed :asleep:

PM List
MVhunny
sydandvaughnforever
vartancrazy24
karlee

Disclaimer: I don't own anything, JJ Abrams and ABC have all the rights.
Rating: I've upped it up to PG-13 for later chapters ;)

Mirage: Chapter Two: Phone Messages

Lauren Reed walked into her small apartment, and collapsed on the sofa. She was exhausted! She got up and flicked on her voice mail.

“You have, 7 new messages,” the monotone voice said on the phone. Lauren sighed, they were all probably from Matthew, he was the clingy type. Her boyfriend of six months was going to have to go.

Lauren walked into her beige kitchen, and turned on the coffee maker. Though the beer at the bar had woken her up, there was nothing like a cup of coffee at 4:00 in the morning. She held her head; it was throbbing. Lauren decided not to wait for the coffee, she opened up the medicine cabinet and plunked two Tylenols into her hand and swallowed them dry.

“Beep!” The answering machine went off.

“Hey Lauren, it’s Matt. I hate that we have to fight like this. Call me.”

“Beep!”

“Lauren, it’s Matthew again. I miss you. Please call.”

“Beep!”

“Lauren! Where are you? I worried about you.”

Lauren had had enough. She screamed in frustration and kicked the machine off the night table.

Don’t make me do this Matt … Lauren thought to herself. She hated this point of the relationship. Just plucking off boyfriends, one by one.

She threw off her NSC badge from her neck and started unbuttoning her blouse. Lauren thought of the man she met at the bar. She had seen him at work a couple times, but he had never even noticed her.

Matthew’s time was out.

Now it was Michael’s turn.

In the ruins of SD-6, Sydney and Vaughn’s eyes met across the room. They made their way to each other, the passion in their eyes. His heart burned with love, and finally, their lips met …

Michael Vaughn suddenly awoke from his sleep. He sat up instantly, and put his hand to his eyes. He was in his bed, alone. No one was there. His was sweating like mad, even though it the air conditioning was on and it was cold in the room. He turned to his clock radio, 8:00 AM. He was late for work.

When Michael had left the bar, it was 4:30. The pain was numbed, for the time being, and he decided to come home. When he actually fell asleep, it was just dreams of Sydney. Her face, her eyes, her hair, her nose, her lips …

Michael shook himself out of daydreams of Sydney and got out of bed. He stretched, and he headed for the bathroom. He turned on his voice mail; Eric probably had called him wondering where he was. Eric was one of the only people that knew of the drinking. He was probably worried.

“You have, 1 new message,” the robotic voice of the answering machine said.

“Beep!”

“Hey, it’s Eric. I’m covering for you, where are you?” Eric Weiss’ voice said over the answering machine. Just coming out of the bathroom, Michael picked up the phone off his nightstand and dialed Eric’s number at the CIA.

“Eric Weiss,” Eric answered.

“Hey, it’s me.” Michael said, saying over the speakerphone as he put on his suit for work. No need to waste any time. He was still groggy from all the alcohol in his system, but he couldn’t miss work.

“Dude, where are you? You’re over 2 hours late!”

“I just … slept in.”

“You were drinking again, weren’t you?”

“Listen, I’ll be there in 15 minutes.” Michael said and hung up. Eric must have been worried about him, he said no wisecrack comments.

He brushed his teeth and showered, grabbing an English muffin and heading out the door. Before he left, he picked up the picture of Sydney sitting on his nightstand. He kissed it, and walked out the door.

Lauren walked into the CIA. After two weeks as the NSC-CIA liaison, it was still nerve wracking. She gave the security guards her code number and put her hand in the laser scanner. The guard on the left nodded to her and let her through the doors. She hadn’t called Matthew back; she was just too tired. The fight they got into was just too painful to go back to. Knowing that he was going to have go … talking to him was just that much harder.

Thank God I know he’s not going to see me here today,” Lauren thought to herself, he doesn’t know I’ve been transferred, and if luck is on my side he never will.

Lauren passed the ‘Fallen Agents’ plaque and felt a pang of guilt. She glanced at some of the names; John Snyder, Holden Smith, Peter Cleary, Thomas Murray, the list seemed never-ending. She had done it all. She had killed 14 CIA officers, and done it well. She was just doing her job, Lauren kept telling herself, it wasn’t her fault.

Now it was Matthew Ryan’s turn. And Michael Vaughn was next.

Okay, there's chapter two! Sydney will be in the next chapter, I think ^_^ I'll try to get chapter three posted tonight, it depends on how many people review for this chapter :P Enjoy!

-Peri

That was so good! She's gonna kill Vaughn?!? You have got to update! I'll get on my knees and beg! BTW- thanks for the PM!

S/V

Please remember that in this story, the brainwashing was successful and Sydney does believe that she is Julia Thorne ;)

Disclaimer: All belongs to it's rightful owners, not me!

Chapter Three – Waiting

Julia Thorne sat a coffee shop in Paris, France. The small shop was decorated in typical coffee shop manor. Red and white tablecloths, waitresses with their pads of paper, chimes on the door every time someone entered, it was just to … stereotypical.

Julia tucked a strand of her long brown hair behind her ear and sipped her latte. She hated it when people were late. It was one of her pet-peeves. She didn’t have time for someone to be late. Julia shifted in her chair and made herself comfortable. Looked like she was going to be here for a while. Her hand brushed up against her gun. It was hidden well behind her black leather jacket, and her heart started to beat faster. She was an assassin, she had been on her whole life.

So why am I so nervous? Julia asked herself.

Suddenly she got a flash in her mind.

A man with light brown hair walked toward her. She was standing in ruins of what looked like an old office. They walked towards each other and kissed …

Julia was brought out of her trance as the chimes went off in the coffee shop. She looked towards the door, and a woman with black hair and dark skin walked in and sat at her table.

“Do you have the disk?” The woman asked. She was wearing a bright yellow mini-dress. Julia looked at her; something seemed familiar.

I must have seen her around the city before. Julia convinced herself.

The woman stared at her so intently that Julia got chills. It was almost as if she was looking right through her, reading her mind.

“First, I need proof that you are who you say you are.” Julia said.

The woman rolled up her sleeve to reveal a tattoo that looked like:

<o>

The symbol of Rambaldi. Julia nodded and went to take the disk out of her purse. It was then she noticed a man watching her intently. She grabbed her gun and in one swift motion shot him three times in the chest.

“Let’s go.” Julia said to the woman and they both stood up. The people behind the counter of the coffee shop were hidden behind the counter.

Julia and the woman left the coffee shop, not looking back.

Lauren Reed walked into the Debriefing room of the CIA headquarters in Los Angeles. She took her seat, and surveyed the room. She knew most of the people in the room. Marcus Dixon, the director in charge, Marshall Flinkman, the Op-Tech guy, Jack Bristow, and Eric Weiss. There were two empty seats. One she knew, belonged to Michael Vaughn. The other, Lauren would just have to wait and see.

He door opened and Lauren turned her head to see who had walked in, and sure enough, it was Michael. Lauren smiled at him, but he didn’t even see her. He took his seat beside her and stared off into space. Lauren tried to remember the file that she had read on him; his girlfriend had recently died. Sydney something.

Perfect, Lauren thought to herself, Time for me to work my charm on poor, vulnerable Michael.

Then Lauren remembered; Jack Bristow was Michael’s girlfriend’s father. She was going to have to be more careful.

That’s ok, I love a challenge.

Lauren smiled to herself and the debriefing began.

Michael Vaughn sat in the debriefing, zoning in and out. He hadn’t noticed anyone else in the room. He looked to the empty seat across from him and saw Sydney. There she was, sitting there, smiling at him. Her beautiful chestnut hair shining in the light, her eyes bright and twinkling.

“Vaughn? VAUGHN?” Eric Weiss said quietly, nudging him with his arm.

Michael shook his head and she was gone. She just … disappeared.

“So, Agent Vaughn, what do you say, are you up to it?” Dixon’s voice said, awaiting an answer.

“Sure.” Vaughn said, still staring at the empty seat. He hadn’t even heard the question.

“Damnit!”

Faith Murray cursed to herself. LA traffic was horrible. She was late for the CIA debriefing. Dixon was going to kill her! She was the one of the new NSC-CIA liaisons, and she was late for her first debriefing.

“What a great first impression I’ll give.” Faith said aloud to herself.

Faith pulled her car into the parking garage of the building, went through security, and hustled through the crowd and burst into the debriefing room. All eyes turned to her, and she smiled apologetically and sat in the one empty chair.

“Mrs. Murray, so nice of you to join us.” Dixon said to Faith in an annoyed tone. “We were just getting into the next mission.”

“Mrs. Murray, so nice of you to join us.” Dixon said to the person that had just burst into the debriefing room.

At this remark, all the colour drained from Lauren’s face.

She had killed this woman’s husband.

Eek! Did it suck? Please R/R and tell me what you think!

-Peri

PM List

MVhunny
sydandvaughnforever
vartancrazy24
karlee
S/V
Alias Fan Gillian
aliasgirl89

If you would like me to add you, just ask ^_^

Hell yee-ah first to reply, and let me just say HOLY S***!!! Fantastic! OMG you have to make Sydney, Sydney again and then she can go talk to Vaughn, and then they'll be happily ever after!! OMG THREE CHAPTERS IN ONE DAY I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY! Thanks for the Pm!

well, i really liked the whole julia thorne/sydney thing...we need some more info on faith though!!! great job, update soon!!

Back