Mirror, mirror on the wall ...

Redfang

Cadet
Let's face it. We put a lot of time into our characters and we like looking at them. :P

That is why I am hoping we will have a high quality paperdoll in the game (the screen that shows your character, their stuff and their skills).

I saw a little of the video and I can only assume that paperdoll is preliminary for the pre-beta stage.

A good paperdoll, in my opinion, should have:

1. A full length head to toe minature view of your character as they appear in game;

2. Boxes with each component of your gear and your enhancements that are large enough to see each one without a magnifying glass;

3. A place where you can write a character biography that other players can see (and that you can see on the paperdoll screen);

4. A stat/skill screen.

5. It would be cool if there was a circular screen that showed your character's face in live animation (not unlike the circular screen on the official HJ website in the upper left hand corner).

6. It would be extra special cool if you could zoom in on your character to take a better look, say, at their breastplate or whatever you wear on the chest, arms, legs, gloves, boots and helm.

7. It would be kick ass if on the left and right side of your character it showed their weapons, animated by whatever effects they have.

8. A guild ensignia on the paperdoll, either as a tabard, coat of arms or otherwise would also be nice.

I guess what I am saying is that this is a very, very important screen that should get lots of love. :rolleyes:

I'll agree with what you said. I wouldn't need the armor/item slots to show the item in detail as long as it shows on the paperdoll in detail, or vice versa. Though I prefer the paperdoll to be more graphic than the items in the slots.

This is something to ponder.

~ Jaraeth

A lot of the GUI stuff is still being worked on so some of what you'll see in the various videos/screenshots is temporary.

That said, if I remember correctly the character screen - the one that shows your character and all of the inventory slots - doesn't currently use a "paper doll" it just renders your character in the box. There is also a slide out box that contains details about your items as you click on them.

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 22 2006, 05:54 PM
A lot of the GUI stuff is still being worked on so some of what you'll see in the various videos/screenshots is temporary.

That said, if I remember correctly the character screen - the one that shows your character and all of the inventory slots - doesn't currently use a "paper doll" it just renders your character in the box. There is also a slide out box that contains details about your items as you click on them.
Glad to hear that. So far the only complaint I've had with the game stems from the design of the UI. Lots of pretty bland primary colors and basic shapes that don't lend themselves to much of an immersive environment for me personally.

The UI is just as important as any other element of the game, as it is the one constant throughout our adventures no matter the consequence. It's the glasses through which we see the world B)

This is why I am really really hoping that HJ's GUI is using XML and is set to allow skinning (or modding). I don't want, nor need, mod's like WoW, I want mod's/skins like DAoC that allow me to download and install, or custom create, my own gui look & feel. This would allow me to have any color or design, any layout and resizeable windows.

DAoC has a very basic GUI, and people have made their own that add the in game compass and mini map into one window, or take your characters money holdings and display it below your health/endurance/mana bars, etc. I would love to be able to incorporate elements of the GUI into each other if I so desired.

The default look means nothing to me if I can change it to look and be the way I want ;)

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by Jaraeth@May 23 2006, 12:09 AM
This is why I am really really hoping that HJ's GUI is using XML and is set to allow skinning (or modding). I don't want, nor need, mod's like WoW, I want mod's/skins like DAoC that allow me to download and install, or custom create, my own gui look & feel. This would allow me to have any color or design, any layout and resizeable windows.

DAoC has a very basic GUI, and people have made their own that add the in game compass and mini map into one window, or take your characters money holdings and display it below your health/endurance/mana bars, etc. I would love to be able to incorporate elements of the GUI into each other if I so desired.

The default look means nothing to me if I can change it to look and be the way I want ;)

~ Jaraeth
I think it was already stated that HJ does use an XML format, so you will be able to edit the GUI. Also I belive you'll be able to record stats. Hopefully some DECENT mods will be available. Not a whole lot, but nothing like WoW mod system which was completely shitty in my opinion.

Yeah, I'd like to see a nice paperdoll as well. Perfect for taking screenshots while doing emotes. I actually loved EQ2's paper dolls...best so far. As far as items showing info in the slots...I can live with just mouseovers that display the info.

What would be really really nead is if there was an actual paperdoll.exe you could run outside the game. It would pretty much open your paperdoll of the character you choose. Have a tiny command line or list of emotes you can have the paperdoll perform. Something like this shouldn't be too difficult to pull off. I guess it wouldn't be too different than a seperate exe for a char creator.

Anyway, just an idea. Wishfull thinking, ya know.

Back