Monster In Law [merged topics]

Fonda Film Banned From Ky. Theaters
The Associated Press

ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky -- The owner of two Kentucky theaters has refused to show the new Jane Fonda film "Monster-in-Law" because of the activist role the actress took during the Vietnam War.

Ike Boutwell, who trained pilots during the Vietnam War, displayed pictures of Fonda clapping with a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft crew in 1972 outside the Elizabethtown Movie Palace to show his disapproval. The marquee outside Showtime Cinemas in nearby Radcliff reads: "No Jane Fonda movie in this theater."

Both theaters are just a few miles from the Army post of Fort Knox, south of Louisville.

"I think when people do something, they need to be held responsible for their actions," Boutwell said. "When you give the enemy aid, it makes the war last longer."

Fonda has apologized for being photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, but not for opposing the war.

"Monster-in-Law" raked in more than $23 million last weekend as the top-grossing movie across the country, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. and Nielsen EDI Inc. In the film, Fonda plays Jennifer Lopez's villainous prospective mother-in-law, trying to stop Lopez from marrying her son.

Sal Mancuso, an Elizabethtown resident, said he personally thanked Boutwell for not showing the film.

"I think Vietnam veterans appreciate this," said Mancuso, who fought in the Mekong Delta during the Vietnam war. "There is no defense for what she did."

Boutwell also banned previous Jane Fonda films, as well as Michael Moore's film, "Fahrenheit 9/11."

whatever ... :angelic:

I saw it tonight with a couple of girlfriends.

I really liked it...really cute and funny.

J.Lo was alright, not great...but she played the part okay.

Jane Fonda was awesome...she did such a great job, and was completely over the top, which is how it was supposed to be played.

Michael Vartan just looked good. He wasn't a main role in the movie (Jane and J.Lo got much more air time), and his part just wasn't written well, through no fault of his own. But given what he had he did a lovely job.

Wanda Sykes seriously stole the show. I loved her. I don't think she said one thing that didn't cause me to laugh. She was hilarious.

Will Arnett was in it! Even though his role was small he was really funny, and it was nice to see him.

All in all a good chick flick movie, that I really enjoyed (but hey, I'm a sucker for chick flicks). ^_^

I love this movie!! Went with like 8 people, and whenever michael would talk I would answer...They all looked at me, and I was so red!! All I have to say is it was so worth it!! Great movie and good laughs!!

I'm so 🤤 I saw a trailer on tv which means it's gonna be on cinemas here soon... which I'm very much :woot: excited about. No date yet, but they're showing the trailer so yah! that's good news to me! can't wait! :D

Rank - Friday 5/20 ~ Box Office Mojo
#1 STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH
#2 MONSTER-IN-LAW

:smiley: got this from sd-1... rest of the article ~> here

Yes, other films were playing this weekend, and the top three didn't do too badly considering the gross of Star Wars. The number two film this weekend is last weekend's number one, Monster-in-Law (you can never account for taste). The critically drubbed film earned $14.4 million in its second frame, down a decent 38% from last weekend. Monster-in-Law obviously proved to be good counter-programming against the Sith, as this chick flick and Crash held well this weekend. The $60 million New Line feature has now pulled in $44.2 million, and could be New Line's first $100 million hit since Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Much will depend on Monster's behavior over the long weekend in the next frame.

Top Ten for Weekend of May 20-22, 2005
Rank | Film
1 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
2 Monster-in-Law
3 Kicking & Screaming
4 Crash
5 Unleashed
6 House of Wax
7 Kingdom of Heaven
8 The Interpreter
9 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
10 Mindhunters

I loved it, it was a great, light hearted, funny movie! I really enjoyed it, though my best mate Cinders didn't :eek: she said is was too cheesy :yikes: But I still loved it :throb: MV was looking good ;) But there wasn't really enough of him, though I loved the doctors scene where he was ringing her, that was just so funny, with the whole can I walk your dog thing 😆 lol

Just saw it on Saturday, and loved it!! It was great. I thought that they should have had a lot more MV just to show the relationship more, but oh well. I also loved it when he called her and asked her to walk him... So cute.

Katie

awww I saw this movie today........it was funny and yea hee....Michael.... :blush: .....and Jane Fonda was veeery good.....well...Jennifer...ehm...ok...nothing more to say about her :D

i know! they should have gave michael some more screen time! never the less, i love it!!! i'm probably going to buy it! lol

one of my fav lines is when micahel calls jennifer and is like " do you want to walk my dog, or maybe you can walk me" :lol:

Back