NeoWin.Net Software

Tom

An Old Friend
Theme Manager is a free program that takes your various Windows customization programs and integrates them together into a single user interface. From Theme Manager, users can change their themes, skins, visual styles, wallpapers, screen savers, and much more. It works with other programs to allow users to control their desktop's look and feel from its interface. If the user doesn't have a needed program, Theme Manager will offer to download and install it for them.

Users can also save their desktops. Once they've got their perfect desktop, they can go to file->save desktop and it will create a .suite file which can be kept locally or shared with others. The .suite file contains the various visual styles, skins, wallpapers, themes, etc. in it. Theme Manager is one of the programs that makes up Stardock's Object Desktop suite of desktop enhancement programs.

Screenshots
picticon.gif
Screenshot: World of Warcraft Suite
picticon.gif
Screenshot: MacOS Tiger Suite
picticon.gif
Screenshot: Apply WindowBlinds and MSStyles skins (without having to hack any DLLs)
picticon.gif
Screenshot: Take a snapshot of your desktop for later use or to share with others

softicon.gif
Download: ThemeManager.net

Read full story...

Spyware, adware, browser hijackers, and dialers are some of the fastest-growing threats on the Internet today.
By simply browsing to a web page, you could find your computer to be the brand-new host of one of these unwanted fiends!

New in this version:
-Improved updating (and fixes for updating issues some users experienced with previous versions)
  • Improved support for users with large fonts / DPI settings
  • Various cosmetic fixes/improvements
  • Further optimizations to certain parts of the program
  • And lots of other bug fixes and requested tweaks
This 3.4 release provides bug fixes and enhanced performance.
Various issues people have been having with previous releases should be fixed.

softicon.gif
Download: SpywareBlaster 3.4 2.5MB (Freeware)
viewicon.gif
View: SpywareBlaster F.A.Q.

Read full story...

Do you have a spouse, children, or a boss wondering what you were doing on the computer? Why worry about other people using the computer! Use Privacy Inspector before someone else gets your personal information from your computer. Privacy Inspector cleans up your tracks left by Windows, your browser, and many other programs. Save storage space and improve performance of your computer with Privacy Inspector.

New features include:
  • New function to auto update new version of Privacy Inspector when released.
  • Add function to create custom build for affiate partner.
  • Other small bugs fixed.
softicon.gif
Download: Privacy Inspector v1.60 1.45MB (Shareware, 30 day Trial | $29.95 USD)
viewicon.gif
View: Product Info

Read full story...

Title: FireTune 1.0.3 Thanks Moe for this submission. FireTune for Mozilla Firefox v1.x was developed for an easy and fast optimization of your browsing experience with Firefox. It is based on a collection of popular and well working optimization settings used and tested by the experts. Usually you have to optimize Firefox manually, which can be time consuming and difficult for the novice user. FireTune helps you here - it includes all the performance optimizations. The only thing you must do is: make your selection. FireTune does the work for you.

Changes in this version:
  • FireTune now saves the last type of optimization you have applied to a profile so that it is pre-selected by FireTune next time you start it. Please re-apply your optimizations for this feature to work!
  • A few internal optimizations and improvements
  • Some more languages added: Macedonian, Catalan, Ukranian, Bosnian, Slovenian, and Greek
  • Updated helpfile
  • Improved setup
softicon.gif
Download: FireTune 1.0.3 914KB (Freeware)
picticon.gif
Screenshot: >> Click here <<
viewicon.gif
View: Reviews & Version History

Read full story...
Title: RegSeeker 1.45 RegSeeker includes a powerful registry cleaner and can display various informations like your startup entries, several histories (even index.dat files), installed applications and much more ! With RegSeeker you can search for any item inside your registry, export/delete the results, open them in the registry. RegSeeker also includes a tweaks panel to optimize your OS ! Now RegSeeker includes a file tool to search for duplicate files, bad shortcuts and more !

Latest Changes:
  • Improved registry cleaner
  • Improved registry search : can now find text in binary values
  • Display Invalid add/remove entries
  • Display Software settings registy entries
  • Ability to select only green/red items
  • Some bugs fixed
softicon.gif
Download: Download RegSeeker 1.45 343KB (Freeware)
viewicon.gif
View: Product Info & Screenshots

Read full story...

Title: Windows Messenger 5.1 Quick Info
File Name: messenger.msi - Download Size: 7170 KB - Date Published: 5/13/2005 - Version: 5.1

Note: The May 13th update to Windows Messenger 5.1 is currently available in English only. Other languages will be available in June 2005. You can continue to download the previous version of Windows Messenger 5.1 in those languages until that time.

Windows Messenger allows real-time communication with other contacts who are using instant messaging (IM) services including those provided by the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) as offered by Microsoft Office Live Communications Server. Windows Messenger also provides connectivity to the Microsoft .NET Messenger service and Exchange 2000 Server Instant Messaging Service.

Windows Messenger 5.1 replaces Windows Messenger 5.0 and is the required version of Windows Messenger to take advantage of certain new features in Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005

softicon.gif
Download: Windows Messenger 5.1 7MB (Requires Genuine Windows Check)

Read full story...

Title: Sony details PlayStation 3, 2X The Power of Xbox2? Yes, the third-generation PlayStation console will indeed be called the PlayStation 3, Sony admitted last night when it unwrapped its answer to Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Revolution. That the PS3 would use a PowerPC-based Cell processor was already well known, but Sony yesterday revealed the chip would be clocked at 3.2GHz - matching Xbox 360's PowerPC-based three-core chip - enough to yield 2.18 teraflops, the company claimed - twice what Xbox 360 will be able to pump out, apparently. There's 512KB of on-die L2 cache, and seven AltiVec vector processing units.

IBM can now rightfully claim PowerPC technology is powering every single next-generation console, and it will be interesting to see what, if any, differences exist between the CPUs in the PS3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution. It'll also be interesting to see how Apple leverages that fact to promote its own PowerPC-based Macs.

viewicon.gif
View: The full story
souricon.gif
News source: The Reg

Read full story...

Title: Xbox 360 backward compatible with Xbox games & Enix news On the heels of the Xbox 360 (TM) video game and entertainment system worldwide premiere on MTV last week, Microsoft Corp. released a flurry of announcements tonight to a packed house at the Shrine Auditorium. Bolstering the promise that Xbox 360 immerses players at the center of the most powerful next-generation games and entertainment experiences, the company revealed that Square Enix Co. Ltd. -- an industry-leading developer and publisher of the world-renowned "FINAL FANTASY®" series, which has sold more than 60 million units worldwide -- will release "FINAL FANTASY XI" for Xbox 360 and Xbox Live (TM) . "FINAL FANTASY XI" is just the beginning: Square Enix will work closely with Microsoft on Xbox 360 and Xbox Live .

The company also announced Xbox 360 will be backward-compatible with top-selling Xbox games. In addition, more than 160 games are in development for Xbox 360, with 25 to 40 games slated for release this calendar year. All are optimized for high-definition output (720p and 1080i).

viewicon.gif
View: The full press release

Read full story...

Title: 'Hawaii': A Visual Studio Paradise for Developers? After it ships the "Whidbey" and "Orcas" versions of its popular Visual Studio tool set, Microsoft Corp.'s Visual Studio development team is headed for "Hawaii." Hawaii is the code name for a version of Microsoft's Visual Studio tool set two versions beyond Whidbey, also known as Visual Studio 2005, according to sources familiar with Microsoft's plans. Hawaii will be a completely redesigned tool set, aimed at taking developers well beyond current capabilities, the sources said.

Although Microsoft had been using the names of Pacific Northwest islands, such as Whidbey and Orcas, to code-name new versions of Visual Studio, developers chose the code name Hawaii because it takes developers much further than the other two versions and also because the team plans to celebrate redesigning the IDE (integrated development environment) in Hawaii, sources close to the company said.

souricon.gif
News source: eWeek

Read full story...

Title: BBC to trial online TV service The BBC is moving toward the launch of an ambitious online media service that will let viewers watch shows such as "EastEnders" on their computers, with the opening of a 5,000 person trial this September. The publicly funded broadcaster's interactive media player, or iMP, will allow broadband Internet users to download selected BBC television and radio programs. Hoping to mimic the success of Apple's popular online music store, BBC director of new media and technology Ashley Highfield said iMP "could just be the iTunes for the broadcast industry."

souricon.gif
News source: Reuters

Read full story...

Title: IE7 Has Tabs Says MS Blogger Yes, IE7 has tabs. In general, I think tabs are a great idea. I liked them a lot in Office dialogs and in Excel in the early 90's. (I used to work on Office, and I admit we almost added tabs to Word at one point.) I like them in Visual Studio. I think, as an industry, we have a ways to go in refining the experience, consistency, and value of tabs.

The main goal for tabs in our beta release is to make sure our implementation delivers on compatibility and security. The variety of IE configurations and add-ins across the Internet is tremendous. We want feedback on how it works with add-ins that you run (or have written), with the sites that you visit, and with the line of business applications, accessibility tools, management and development tools that you run. We’ve also looked closely at reported vulnerabilities in other implementations of tabbed browsing. We’re looking forward to feedback from the security community as well. The tabbed browsing experience in the upcoming IE7 beta is pretty basic. Expect additional end-user functionality to come in after the beta.

souricon.gif
News source: MS Blogs

Read full story...

Title: Lite-On LVW-5045 160GB HDD+DVD Recorder Review Just received this in the mail, a friend of mine owns one of these and its pretty damn sweet, if you're considering upgrading your VCR and/or DVD player combination to a DVD Recorder, then this comes in pretty highly recommended.<blockquote>Here is a snip from the review: To many advertisers' dismay, VCRs changed the way people watched TV over 30 years ago. Recording a show and watching it later allowed viewers to fast forward through commercials and watch only what they wanted to watch. Today, it's only gotten better (or worse, depending on what side of the commercials you are on) with products like TiVo and home theater PCs.

If you aren't quite ready to have a PC in your living room, then a TiVo or other hard drive recorder would make a great DVR (digital video recorder) for you. With its 160GB LVW-5045, Lite-On enters the hard drive recorder market with an affordable offering that has a lot of potential. The LVW-5045 not only features recording to hard drive but also to DVD and CD media, building on the capabilities of the LVW-5005 I previously reviewed.</blockquote>
viewicon.gif
View: Lite-On LVW-5045 160GB HDD+DVD Recorder Review @ Bjorn 3D

Read full story...

Title: Xbox 360 will include built-in Windows Media Center Extender At the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2005 in Los Angeles, Microsoft today announced it will release a free software update to Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 that will enable customers to take advantage of the Media Center Extender technologies built into Xbox 360 (TM) gaming systems to access and enjoy digital entertainment anywhere in the home. Every Xbox 360 will have Media Center Extender functionality built in and available out of the box. The Media Center Extender functionality, coupled with the software update for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, will provide customers with seamless access to digital music, video, photos, and standard and high-definition television and movies on Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs through any Xbox 360 game console in the house.

viewicon.gif
View: Full Press Release

Read full story...

Title: Startup Organizer Author: rss_feedback@lockergnome.com (Lockergnome)
Startup Organizer is a Windows 9x/ME/NT/2k/XP/2003 program that was developed to provide quick access to all of the programs that are automatically started when you turn on or log on to your computer. Using Startup Organizer, you can inspect, edit, print, and/or temporarily disable such programs and make backup configurations. You may significantly reduce the time required for your system startup by disabling programs that you don’t need all the time. With RunOnceEx, Services, and… Direct and Related Links for 'Startup Organizer'

Title: Working Drafts: Web Services Description Language (WSDL) 2.0 2005-05-11: The Web Services Description Working Group has published Working Drafts of the Web Services Description Language (WSDL) Version 2.0: the first complete draft of the Primer, updates to Part 1: Core Language and Part 2: Adjuncts and a First Public Working Draft of the SOAP 1.1 Binding. An XML language, WSDL describes network services and is used to document distributed systems and automate communication between applications. Read about Web services. (News archive)

Feed: World Wide Web Consortium
Title: XML 1.1 and XML Schema Processors 2005-05-11: The XML Schema Working Group has published Processing XML 1.1 Documents With XML Schema 1.0 Processors as a Working Group Note. Developed to encourage adoption of internationalized XML, the note presents a strategy for users, specifications and processors until XML Schema addresses this issue normatively. Visit the XML home page. (News archive)

Feed: Builder.com
Title: Take Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition out for a test run There are a number of reasons why you may want to download the second beta of Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, including its lightweight and easy to use. Phillip Perkins highlights the features of this upcoming release and shows you how easy it is to start developing with this edition.

Feed: Builder.com
Title: Generating and working with GUIDs in .NET A Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) is a 128-bit integer that you can use across all computers and networks wherever a unique identifier is required. Tony Patton explains how the .NET Framework makes it possible for you to create your own GUID.

Feed: Computerworld Hackers and Hacking Feed
Title: Defense Department hacker gets 21-month sentence Raymond Paul Steigerwalt, a 21-year old Indiana resident, has been sentenced to serve 21 months in jail for his role in a hacking attack that compromised computers at the U.S. Department of Defense.

Feed: Computerworld Windows XP Feed
Title: Microsoft to slim down Windows XP for older PCs Microsoft is readying a slimmed-down version of Windows XP for users who want to upgrade their operating systems, but not their PCs.

Title: Charles Cooper over at Cnet says Podcast Blows! It would be nice to see what Podcast Charles has been listening to, because in some ways he is right, and in some ways he is wrong. I have been subscribing to a lot of podcast and some get 1-2 listens and then they are removed from my playlist but their are others that continue to stay on my thats a great show list.

With 5500+ shows available you can find plenty of gems. Those that are not so good will realize this soon enough when they do not have many downloads showing up on their statistics but depending on how those statistics are being gathered could be misleading.

I had a podcaster recently tell me he had 4000 plus listeners I asked him how he determined that number, he told me it was by looking at webalizer statistics. I then had him send me 1 months worth of his raw log files, and ran them thru a special program that is being used over at techpodcasts.com

The information I passed back to him was depressing. He was horrified, he used it as a wake up call on how he could fix his show so that he could get some listenership. I talked with him at length, and over the past few weeks I have seen noticeable improvement. We all have good days and bad days but if your creating felgercarb on a regular basis people are going to leave in mass.

But you want to know the best part we have a choice now on what we listen to and fill our brain with not what Clear Channel or one of the other media companies want us to hear.

Podcasting will continue to grow and people like you and I will continue to put out shows because it's fun and gives us a new outlet to talk about things we like to talk about. [CNet]

Feed: Slashdot
Title: 512MB GeForce 6800 Ultra Reviewed Author: timothy
128 Comments Timmus writes "If you thought the $500 GeForce 6800 Ultra and $550 Radeon X850 XT PE were excessive, wait until you see nVidia's GeForce 6800 Ultra 512MB: it officially retails for $999.99! Firingsquad has a review of the card manufactured by BFG. They ran tests with 6 different configurations (including a pair of 512MB cards running in SLI) with widescreen benchmarks at 1980x1200 as well."

Back