Politics New Pope!

Vatican cleric fuels condom row
By David Willey
BBC News, Rome 

A senior Vatican cardinal has joined the growing number of influential Catholic Church figures questioning the official Vatican ban on condom use.
Cardinal Georges Cottier is one of Pope John Paul II's preferred theologians.

So eyebrows were raised this week when he was quoted as saying the use of condoms may be legitimate to stop the spread of Aids in poor countries.

The cardinal said there was moral justification for condom use under certain circumstances to counter Aids.

Churchmen are arguing with increasing frequency that the traditional blanket ban on the use of condoms is no longer valid.

Cardinal Cottier said it was no longer a question only of allowing the transmission of life, but of actively preventing the transmission of death to a sexual partner.

This argument - of adopting the lesser of two evils - has also been proposed by bishops in France and Spain.

Spanish bishops however were forced by the Vatican to row back on a statement similar to that now made by Cardinal Cottier that they issued in Madrid last month.

The point is that the Vatican is slowly being forced to admit by some of its most authoritative churchmen that this is a complex moral argument which does not allow for a simple overall ban on the use of condoms.

In a nuanced Vatican statement to be put out later this month on the World Day of the Sick, the Pope himself has not ruled out the adoption of less desirable strategies in fighting Aids than those that the Church traditionally teaches.

Unless something has changed and gone under the radar within the past few months, then condom use is banned by the Vatican.

How I understand it from what I've been told by my Catholic family and what I've read is that the Vatican II promised a more modern view to be considered, but as of now, little has been done, and condom use is in no way allowed by the Catholic Church.

Jamison said:
Unless something has changed and gone under the radar within the past few months, then condom use is banned by the Vatican.

How I understand it from what I've been told by my Catholic family and what I've read is that the Vatican II promised a more modern view to be considered, but as of now, little has been done, and condom use is in no way allowed by the Catholic Church.
[post="1342837"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
you are right about that. during the Sexual Revolution of the Roaring 20s many Christians turned their backs on this belief that all life/being open to life is sacred. only the Catholic Church stuck to her beliefs and carried it thru. today, there are much more people with STDs than a hundred years ago, but i believe that the Church says condoms are not allowed, period. even if one person in the married couple is a carrier, they are still called to not have sex. married couples still have some form of "chastity", just not the absolute form that single people and clergy have.

the_alliance said:
please email or write to the Governator telling him that he needs to take a firm stance on this issue and stop this law right now!
[post="1483120"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

First off, this belongs in the Same Sex Marriage thread. Secondly I think it's absolutely wonderful that this has been passed, and I hope he signs it into law.

well, it's a Catholic teaching and the New Pope is a strong supporter of this particular teaching

if i post it in the Same-Sex marriage thread, nobody will take action cuz they're all liberal. the point isnt to discuss this issue, it's to get people to tell Ah-nold to oppose this law. sorry if there was miscommunication.

the_alliance said:
well, it's a Catholic teaching and the New Pope is a strong supporter of this particular teaching

if i post it in the Same-Sex marriage thread, nobody will take action cuz they're all liberal. the point isnt to discuss this issue, it's to get people to tell Ah-nold to oppose this law. sorry if there was miscommunication.
[post="1483641"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Serious Discussion should not be used to promote your political/religious beliefs. It's for a discussion of topics. If you want to discuss a topic, please use the appropriate thread, if you just want to promote your beliefs please do not do it here.

ms.katejones said:
Ever since I found out the new pope doesn't like Harry Potter, I haven't been able to look at him the same way.
[post="1483652"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That's not a surprise though. There are many Christians who oppose Harry Potter...because it deals with witchcraft and wizards. They forget to take into account that it's actually getting children to READ! :rolleyes:

the_alliance said:
the Pope does not disapprove of Harry Potter. Cardinal Ratzinger did.

side note: Arnold has said that he will veto the bill
[post="1483816"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Cardinal Ratzinger is the Pope. Just because he hasn't publically come out has Pope and said he disapproves of it, doesn't mean he's had a change of heart. It's well known that many people in the Catholic Church disapprove of the books.

Jamison said:
Cardinal Ratzinger is the Pope.  Just because he hasn't publically come out has Pope and said he disapproves of it, doesn't mean he's had a change of heart.  It's well known that many people in the Catholic Church disapprove of the books.
[post="1484055"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
no, Cardinal Ratzinger is NOT the Pope. Benedict XVI is the Pope. this is where it gets confusing. in 2000, George W. Bush was George W. Bush. after becoming president, he is still George W. Bush. but when someone is made Pope, he is supposed to be different. therefore, there are some things that Cardinal Ratzinger might have said that he would not say as Pope. now the Harry Potter thing might not be one of them, but until he has said he doesnt condone it as Pope, then we have to assume (well, you dont have to if you dont want to, you have free will, so of course you're free to exercise it) that as Pope, he does not hold this belief (yet).

i'm not much of a fan of this pope..he disapproves of married couple using science to have a children like vitro...come on aren't we way passed saying rock n roll music is from the devil..thats just going back...yea... he may have a different name ..but same mind...

the_alliance said:
seriously? did you read my post just before yours?
[post="1492613"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Just because he hasn't formally come out as Pope and said that he's against Harry Potter and so-forth, doesn't mean that he had a change of heart.

If he was against it the month before he became Pope, then I'm sure he's still against it now...maybe not publically, but personally.

Jamison said:
Just because he hasn't formally come out as Pope and said that he's against Harry Potter and so-forth, doesn't mean that he had a change of heart.

If he was against it the month before he became Pope, then I'm sure he's still against it now...maybe not publically, but personally.
[post="1493024"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
if he hasnt said it publically, then it can't be said that the Pope feels this way, because that carries the connotation that the entire Catholic Church ought to feel this way too.

there is a very ballzy cardinal out there somewhere, facing excommunication to refute the lies the media poured out about the enclave last April. basically, he broke his vow of secrecy and released a journal he kept during the enclave that detailed what happened.

That's not a surprise though. There are many Christians who oppose Harry Potter...because it deals with witchcraft and wizards. They forget to take into account that it's actually getting children to READ!

So just because it is getting children to read its ok. If we use that logic, then lets feed them just mcdonalds because its getting them to eat.

Back