Season 4 NEWS: some specifics on next season

Alias: We Spy a Makeover
by Michael Ausiello

Jennifer Garner

When Alias kicks off its fourth season in January, fans are going to spy some big-time changes. Coming off a subpar season, which saw viewership decline 9 percent, series creator J.J. Abrams will once again embrace the show's original conceit. Namely, Sydney will go back to juggling her dual roles as an international spy and normal twentysomething.

"We got so deep in the Rimbaldi and Covenant [mysteries] that we lost sight of some of the stuff we fell in love with [in the beginning]," ABC entertainment president Stephen McPherson tells TV Guide Online. "J.J. is talking about getting back to some of the joy that she used to have in her personal life early on... while still living in this crazy world."

Abrams says he had an epiphany about Alias' disappointing third season while he was working on the pilot for his upcoming ABC thriller, Lost. "Going away to do Lost allowed me to look at Alias in a way that I could not have done otherwise — from the outside," he explains. "And it was like an incredibly enlightening thing. I suddenly knew in my heart what I wanted and what I didn't want — and I saw what was happening. Not that I wasn't proud of what was there, but I saw some mistakes that I made and I thought, 'Oh my God.'

"It was like going home and watching the game on TV — it gives you that perspective that you don't have when you're playing it," he adds. "I have a knowledge of the show I never had before."

Meanwhile, Abrams, unlike fans, is not peeved at ABC for delaying the show's return until January. "I was begging them to do it," he admits, noting that the midseason launch will allow his baby to unspool its 20 episodes uninterrupted by reruns. "Every time we would return after three or four weeks of repeats, our ratings would dip. Every time."

The move, therefore, should not be interpreted as ABC not believing in the show, he says. "I guess you could argue that shuffling it to the back makes it look less important to them, but I think it's actually the opposite. If they didn't believe in the show they wouldn't have A) picked it up, B) ordered 20 [episodes] and C) strategized how to maximize its [potential]."

"I couldn't believe more in the show," McPherson attests. "We're going to be launching a lot of new dramas in the fall and we wouldn't have been able to put any money [into promoting Alias]. So we felt the best thing to do was bring it on in January when we've got all [20 episodes] and a huge promotion platform with the Academy Awards."

And if that strategy doesn't entangle more viewers in the spy yarn, Jennifer Garner can kiss her extensive wig collection good-bye, right? Wrong. McPherson insists there's "not a chance" Season 4 could be Alias' last. "It will be an asset for years." How many, exactly? Cracks Abrams: "Exactly 100." Nobody likes a smart-ass. Well, except us.

I don't know it made me feel a little better :smiley:

I read this at another Alias group I'm a member of, and all I can say is THANK GOD! :lol: :smiley: YAY!

Les

JenSydneyJuliaElektraJenna#47 said:
omthat is good to hear

p.s i need help to get a picture for my signature if andy one know's how plz help me

love <0> aly <0>
Try the fan media forum -- there are plenty of sig-makers there. ^_^

This is great.... Season 4 in January 2005 is a good thing.... and I like the fact that there will be a promotion push. I don't recall a whole lot of promotion for Alias during season 3....

that's great news! i was kinda missing those things too also, so i'm glad they're bringing it back. but i hope j.j. won't stop with the rambaldi mystery...i'm into deep with that already.

I'm so glad to read that article. I mean, despite the season being amazing, it didn't live up to the first or second season in my opinion. "Normality" was missing, that juggling was missing. Well, I'm also encouraged by the last line:

McPherson insists there's "not a chance" Season 4 could be Alias' last. "It will be an asset for years." How many, exactly? Cracks Abrams: "Exactly 100." Nobody likes a smart-ass. Well, except us.

if they are bringing back her social life then she is going to have friends! yay!!!!!!! (sorry if i am pointing out the obvious) i wonder if will is coming back

addicted2alias13870 said:
if they are bringing back her social life then she is going to have friends! yay!!!!!!! (sorry if i am pointing out the obvious) i wonder if will is coming back
Ha! Don't worry, we're all glad! :D :D

:smiley: that sounds really good. and even thou its 20 episodes apparently the first
and last episode of the season with be two-hours ones so we still get our 22hours
ahh, i have a good feeling season 4 is going to rock our socks off :P
as long as she stays with vaughn ^_^

Back