Nocturne's Shadows

fast udate = no hating here.
great update but EVIL chliffhanger!! for how long can she run? she thinks she killed nadja. she probably can`t feel any worse and she`s totally excausted. the police will get here.....or what else do you have in mind for her????
i`m excited
suzy

Chapter 27

Sydney drove fast, swerving around the other cars, the cop car fast on her tail. She took a sharp left. The road turned to dirt. Sydney cranked the steering wheel furiously as she went around the bends. She headed towards the wooded hillside, her foot steady on the gas, her ankle sending out sharp stabbing pains, and her eyes watering up.

The sirens screeched in the background.

Sydney glanced at her mirror. He was close. Her foot pressed deeper onto the gas as she drove erratically up the road.

Suddenly the road winded sharp. Sydney was unable to keep the car steady as she tried to race around the 180 degree bend. Her car hurled towards the trees as she quickly turned the steering wheel the other direction, back onto the road, slamming on the breaks with her left foot.

Her car was too out of control. It flew into some trees.

The airbags inflated hard into Sydney as she flopped forward into them.

After a moment of shock, Sydney realized she wasn’t seriously hurt, except for her already sprained ankle and some pain where the airbag hit her chest, so she opened the car door and climbed out, almost screaming as she stepped forward onto her right foot. She quickly hopped back onto her left foot, and started limping forward as the cop car pulled up beside her car. She hobbled fast, trying to get out of the cop’s sight as he got out of the car, his gun raised.

“Stop or I’ll shoot!” He yelled.

Sydney cocked her gun and fired shots back at him, being careful not to actually hit him. Even in the midst of all her madness, she knew murdering a cop was much worse than Sloane.

As bullets flew in his direction, the cop took cover behind his car door. He quickly grabbed the radio and called it in. After a moment, a voice came back over the radio. It was Jack’s. He was using the radio at the local police station, having come there for intel and help in finding Sydney. Nadia and Vaughn were beside him as he spoke into the radio.

“I am an agent of the CIA. Do not fire on the suspect. She is wanted alive and unhurt by the CIA,” Jack commanded.

“She’s going to get away!” The cop yelled into the radio, annoyed at the CIA getting in his way of enforcing the law.

“Do not fire!” Jack insisted.

“I want to speak to my superior. This is ridiculous. You’re letting a suspect get away.”

Quickly a woman’s voice came over the radio, “Officer Barkley, its Sergeant Hux here. We have orders to listen to the CIA on this one. Don’t fire on the suspect. What is your position?”

“I’m on the north-west part of Toro Canyon Road, past where it turns to dirt. The suspect’s car has crashed into a tree after overtaking a sharp turn. She’s taken off on foot into the woods, however, she appears to be injured in the leg.”

“Alright. We’re sending a team out your way.”

“Rodger that.”

Meanwhile, Sydney walked roughly as fast as she could through into the forest, tripping several times along the way.

“Ouch!” she whispered as a branch scraped across her face. She ignored the scratch as she pushed forward, remembering all her training in her perseverance. She was heading up an incline, however, making it even harder.

As Sydney looked behind her, she realized the cop wasn’t following her anymore. Suddenly she tripped over the large root of a big tree, sending herself hurling into the ground. As she winced in pain, she noticed a pair of feet beside her. Thinking it was the cop, she tried to scatter away on her hands and knees.

“Sydney,” the man said in a cold dead voice.

Looking up, she realized it was Sark. He had come back to haunt her, she thought.

“Leave me alone!” She cried, all her frustration bundling up inside her.

“They’ll execute you when they find you,” he replied coldly.

“So, what do you care?” Sydney said, getting up slowly, her face scrunching up in pain as she started to hobble, her arms reaching out for the trees for balance.

“He’s evil, just like you. A murderer. He wants to collect you and take you back to his master, the devil,” another voice whispered into Sydney’s ear. Turning around, she could see no one else there.

“Leave me alone, whoever you are,” Sydney said meekly, as her eyes became stricken with terror.

“I can’t because you took my life. I’m forever attached to you, watching you until you die a horrible death like you gave me.”

Sydney looked forward and noticed Nadia standing in front of her, her skin grey and her eyes dead. There was no emotion in her face. Behind her, Sark stood there, much in the same manner, grey with dead eyes and no emotions. They watched her.

Trying to ignore them, Sydney started forward, but they followed her, eyeing her gravely as she tried to get away.

“They’re going to kill you.” Sark whispered, his cold breath meeting the back of Sydney’s neck.

“Go away!” Sydney screamed as tears glided down her face.

“They’re going to murder you.” Nadia whispered, her dead glare staring forward at Sydney.

“Stop!”

“That’s what I screamed as you killed me,” Nadia spoke louder and more intensely.

“I’m sorry. I did what I had to do to save the world,” Sydney pleaded emotionally as she limped forward.

“You’re no saviour!” They both yelled out in growingly intense voices, as their cold breath swept over Sydney, giving her deep chills. Suddenly, she crumbled to the ground, hugging her knees and burying her head in them.

“You’re a wimp. You’re a failure,” Nadia started as she bent down and whispered into Sydney’s ear.

Sark quickly joined her, staring straight into Sydney’s eyes with his cold gaze of death. “You’re going to die.”

“And be tortured in hell by my father,” Nadia taunted.

“Go away!” Sydney screamed, her voice muffled as her head burrowed itself between her knees.

“We can’t. You murdered us and now we need our revenge,” Nadia said grimly.

“We’re going to make sure you die a blood-filled death,” Sark added, his eyes staring at her in a creepy glare.

“And then we’re going to watch as your life is sucked away.”

“And you’re sent to hell.”

They both smiled grimly as their eyes pierced into Sydney, making her cry, muffled whimpers falling into her knees. Nadia and Sark both laughed as their dead body’s swished away in a strong gust of wind.

Their voices echoed into the distance.

“You’re dead.”

I'm finally all caught up on the last few chapters. Sorry I haven't replied, but what great updates! Seriously, Syd may have finally cracked. I hope they find her before she does something else CRAZY. Thanks for the PMs, and update soon!

I so hope that she will not kill herself... due to everything she has done... after everything... when she realizes...?

Great update! (y) (y)

Chapter 28

Sydney whimpered into her lap for a few moments before she realized the ghostly images of Sark and Nadia were gone. She shivered from her overwhelming fear. Her heart stung and her eyes watered. Nadia would never forgive her for what she did. She wasn't even sure she could forgive herself. It seemed like everything she had been working for, the whole mission, was rapidly falling to pieces, and somehow had lost its meaning at that moment.

Latching onto a tree branch, Sydney pulled herself up off the ground and tried to steady her footing. She knew she needed to get out of there before the cop found her. It seemed unlikely that he would have just given up. He probably had called for backup, she thought. The whole situation made her skin crawl. Ghosts were after her, cops were after her, people that thought she was crazy were after her. It was likely The Guildiya had their executioners on her trail as well. She had to run, run from everything and everyone. As the hillside covered in thick trees stood before her, she knew it was the only place she had to hide.

Sydney pushed forward, stumbling towards freedom on her sprained ankle, as her head pounded and her body shivered widely with anxiety. Her heart raced, and she felt like she wasn’t alone. They were on her trail. She tried to rush toward, but she only stumbled more.

Suddenly she saw a light ahead of her, the sun was poking through the trees and calling her forward. She climbed her way up the hill towards it, grabbing onto branches as she pulled herself upward. As she got there, it overwhelmed her, flooding her with brightness. Sydney was blinded by the light. Tripping over something, she found herself falling to the ground before the light. No, she was in the light and it was consuming her. All of a sudden, a piercing sound was clutching onto her ears, screaming loudly. Sydney rolled onto her back and peered upward, holding her hands tightly over her ears. She shuddered widely as the sound consumed her. She couldn’t think anymore. She was frozen. Stunned.

All of a sudden, things went dark and the trees started to appear, but swirling all around her as dizziness took over. Sydney curled up into herself, rocking back and forth in terror. She had no idea what was going on, but she assumed hell was coming to take her. It tricked her into coming towards the light, but now it had its hands holding tightly onto her as she lay there dying. Sloane. Sark. They would be there to torture her. Suddenly everything flashed red. There was blood and fire all around her. She curled further into herself, covering her face and her ears, and simply shivered, mindless and numb with terror.

The black SUV drove rapidly down the stretch of dirt road, letting up a trail of dust behind it. A cavalry of other agents in other SUVs followed close behind, while a black helicopter searched the sky. Jack cranked the wheel as he drove around the windy bends of the road, Nadia, Vaughn and Weiss in the vehicle with him. Suddenly, they turned the corner to see a police car sitting in the middle of the road with its lights flashing. A cop immediately arose from the car upon seeing the team approach.

“I’m Agent Bristow,” Jack said as he flashed his CIA badge at the cop.

“Officer Barkley,” the cop replied. “The suspect took off on foot into the woods about 25 minutes ago. She was carry a gun, and was driving that car.” He motioned towards the car.

Jack nodded, as he began to speak, “We will be using tranquilizer darts to capture her. She is not the be hurt otherwise.”

“What’s the deal with this suspect anyways?” The cop asked.

“That’s classified,” Jack replied.

“Jack, we’re ready to go,” Vaughn said as he came towards Jack. He had been organizing the rest of the teams. “Here.” Vaughn said, handing him a bullet-proof vest. Jack frowned as he put it on. He knew they needed it, but it was hard nonetheless to know his daughter had become such a danger.

“Alright, let’s move in. Everyone knows their positions,” Jack commanded to the team, as he motioned for the cop to come with him, “Do you know these woods?”

“I’ve pursued suspects in them before,” the cop nodded.

“Alright, you’ll stick with me,” Jack replied. “Okay, move in.”

With that, each team headed into the thick woods armed with their tranq guns in search of Sydney. A helicopter hovered in the sky, looking for her from above.

Sydney could hear voices coming towards her as she lay there on the ground. Tears brimmed over her eyes as she shuddered, knowing Sark and Nadia were back to torment her as she lay there dying.

“They’re coming for you.” Nadia whispered, her cold breath on Sydney’s ear.

“Why are you doing this?” Sydney said meekly.

“You killed me. You murdered me in cold blood and now I’m giving you to the devil. Its what you deserve,” Nadia said in a breathy tone.

“We’re going to watch you die, writhing in pain, like you did to us,” Sark said coldly, his eyes piercing into hers.

“Go to hell!” Sydney screamed loudly, echoing through the woods.

“You’re the one going to hell,” Sark laughed.

Suddenly Nadia jumped onto Sydney, holding tightly onto her neck and strangling her. Sydney struggled to fight her off as Sark continued to laugh evilly in the background, his face filled with a cold amusement. Sydney pushed Nadia off her and started to run away, limping as fast as she could. All of a sudden, she could hear more voices following her.

“Sydney?”

She shivered, not knowing who else was there to terrorize her.

“Sydney!” Someone said as they suddenly appeared behind her.

“Go away!” She screamed shrilly as she tried to run.

“Stop! Sydney, its me!” the voice yelled.

“Go away,” she cried as she fell to the ground and curled up into herself, rocking back and forth as she felt tortured by the ghosts around her.

“Sydney, its me. I’m here to help you,” the voice said softly, reaching out towards her. She could hear someone else there, someone with a radio. She looked up. Vaughn was kneeling before her, his face tormented with fear and love for her. Sydney’s eyes widened. They were there to take her away.

“No!” she yelled getting up. “You can’t take me!”

“Sydney, stop. We’re just trying to help you,” Vaughn said calmly, reaching out for her. She pushed him away as she began to run. “Sydney, don’t make me do this,” Vaughn said as she raised his tranq gun at her.

Suddenly, Sydney pulled out her gun and fired shots towards him as she tried to run. The bullets missed him.

“Sydney!” Vaughn yelled as he chased after her, not wanting to shoot her with tranquilizer darts.

“Vaughn, go away!” she cried as she ran forward on her sprained ankle, pain jilting up her leg. “I’m not going to prison or a hospital. I’m not getting locked up!”

“We just want to help you, Syd. Please. Let me help you. I love you.”

“Go away! You don’t know what I’ve done. You wouldn’t love me if you knew.”

“I know about Nadia and Sloane. But Syd, it doesn’t matter.”

“I killed her! Vaughn, I killed my sister,” Sydney collapsed onto the ground, crying harshly into her lap.

“Sydney, she survived.”

Sydney looked up with wide frightened eyes, “She can’t be. She’s been here haunting me. Her ghost. Its trying to kill me.”

“No, Sydney, no. Its just a hallucination. Its Nocturne. Its done something to your brain.”

Sydney stared forward for a moment, her face stained with tears. She didn’t know what to think. Everything was so overwhelmingly confusing. Suddenly, she felt Vaughn’s hand on her shoulder.

“Get off me!” She screamed as she got up to run.

A sharp pierce went into her back. She turned to look at Vaughn with pained eyes, betrayal staining them, as he held onto the tranq gun. Suddenly, her body flopped hard to the ground and she went unconscious. Vaughn’s eyes filled with sorrow as he ran towards her body and held it in his arms while the agent accompanying him radioed it in.
“Sydney, I’m so sorry,” Vaughn whispered into the ear of her unconscious body. “I’m so sorry.”

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! they got her!

I loved your 28th chpater: it was emotional, interesting... and well written. I loved the last part when Vaughn had to shoot her...

GREAT WORK!

A sharp pierce went into her back. She turned to look at Vaughn with pained eyes, betrayal staining them, as he held onto the tranq gun. Suddenly, her body flopped hard to the ground and she went unconscious. Vaughn’s eyes filled with sorrow as he ran towards her body and held it in his arms while the agent accompanying him radioed it in.
“Sydney, I’m so sorry,” Vaughn whispered into the ear of her unconscious body. “I’m so sorry.”

Awwww :(
at least they got her :smiley:
great chapter very descriptive.

Chapter 29

The air was cold as her body felt frigid against it, chilling her to a shiver and forcing her to curl up for warmth. She felt naked. Moving her hands over her chest, she felt a thin layer of fabric covering her. Feeling around, she couldn’t find anything else. Not a blanket, or a sweater. She wasn’t even wearing pants. Her legs were freezing. She gathered them up beneath her arms and hugged herself tightly while she lay there, wondering where she was, her stomach fluttering slightly with nerves.

As she moved her head, she felt the piercing sharpness throb inside it. Her whole body ached. She wasn’t sure if it was from days of being on the run or from the uncomfortable thing she was lying on. She felt beneath her and realized it was a mattress laying directly on the floor. It felt hard. There was a thin fitted sheet covering it, but beneath it, she could hear the crinkling sounds of a plastic covering.

A bright light caught her eyes as she slowly opened them, making her head throb more. She brought her arm up to her eyes, and shielded herself. After a moment, she looked above her arm towards the light source. It was a small window. She didn’t know where it lead to, but it was an unnatural and hard light.

The room itself was dark. It was chilling to her, making her suspicious with fear for what was to come. Looking around it, she could barely see anything. She couldn’t tell what sort of room it was. She assumed it was some sort of makeshift cell and soon they would be coming to torture her. She didn’t know who. She had trouble remembering how she got here. She had no idea how long it had been.

She imagined herself being taken to a room and strapped down to a chair. The room would be dark like this one, with only a dim light overhead. And there would be a tray of tools beside. She could feel each one pressing against her skin, crawling over her, cutting through her. She shuddered widely for a moment at the thought. Her stomach churned nervously.

Sitting up, she pressed her hand against her head as it ached. She went to the window and peered out. It was a door in fact and the window looked out into a hallway. It was a splash of white everywhere as the florescent lights washed over the place. As she looked across the hall, she could see clipboards in little slots beside doors. All around there were people rushing around busily. They looked like nurses. Suddenly she recognized someone. It was the doctor who had been treating her amnesia after she returned from her missing two years. It was a hospital. A psychiatric ward. She was in an isolation room.

Suddenly, she felt like the world was falling upon her. She was trapped. Locked up. They thought she was crazy and she would likely be locked here for the rest of her life while they drugged her up and gave her shocks.

Sydney felt around for a door handle. She knew the room had to be locked, but she needed to try. She couldn’t not try. But there was no handle. Nothing. She moved her hands over the entire room. The walls were smooth and unadorned. The corners were rounded. There was no padding on the walls though. She thought there would be padding everywhere. There wasn’t. Just a cold floor beneath her bare feet.

As she looked around at the empty room, she felt a sort of numbness inside. She felt as empty as the room. As dark inside as the room. The feeling, or lack of, had been there since she had awoken. All she felt was a drowsiness that hung over her and a fear for what was to come.

Sydney took in a deep breath and sunk into the floor. She was locked up in a psychiatric ward. Suddenly, she remembered Vaughn. He had a gun. It wasn't a regular gun. It was a tranquilizer gun. He shot her. He tranquilized her. He put her here.

Suddenly, the brightness in the room grew. Sydney looked to see the door opening. She huddled into the corner, burying her head in her lap. She didn’t want to see anyone. She wanted to forget everything and give into the drowsiness, let it take her into a deep sleep.

“Agent Bristow?” A female voice said softly. She ignored it and only huddled into herself further. “Sydney?” She spoke louder. Sydney didn’t speak. “I’m Doctor Bowen. I’ll be treating you while you’re here.”

Her voice was confident. She didn’t sound afraid at all of the killer before her. She knew though. Sydney could feel that she knew all about Sloane and Nadia. Maybe she even knew about Sark and the police officer, all the violence, whether she killed them or not.

As Sydney spied out at the doctor, she noticed people standing behind her. Security guards. There were two of them. She was dangerous. They knew it. Even she herself knew it. All the violence. All the regretful violence. Only, she didn’t want to hurt anyone now, she didn’t want to fight back, escape. Nothing. She didn’t want to do anything but crawl inside herself and sleep.

“Would you prefer it if I called you Agent Bristow or Sydney?” The doctor asked. What did it matter, Sydney thought. Nothing mattered. It felt like her life was over and even that didn’t matter. She was certain that Sark’s ghost would come to take her away to hell soon. It didn’t matter. Nothing mattered. It was all emptiness. Dead numb emptiness.

“If you’re not ready to talk to me, I can come back later.” Sydney ignored her. She didn’t even look at her. She didn’t even know what she looked like. She didn’t care.

“Alright. I’ll come and talk to you later.”

Suddenly, the darkness grew and she heard the sound of the door latching and being locked. Sydney got up and walked across the room towards the mattress and plopped herself down on it, closing her eyes tightly. She wanted to sleep. She buried her head into the mattress and let the drowsiness take over.

“I want to see my daughter,” Jack insisted as he talked to Dr. Bowen. They were seated in a conference room within the Stafford Naval Hospital. Vaughn and Nadia were seated beside him.

“I’m sorry, Agent Bristow, but I don’t want her having any visitors right now. She’s been through a lot and she needs to rest. And furthermore, its unlikely she will agree with your decision to bring her here. Its likely you will have to deal with some resentment on her part,” Dr. Bowen informed.

“I understand,” Jack nodded. As much as he wanted to see Sydney, he knew she probably didn’t want to see him.

“How is she?” Vaughn asked. Seeing her in the woods was terrifying for him. He only wanted to be there with her now, holding her tightly and telling her, showing her, how much he loved her.

“She’s sedated right now. I tried to speak with her, but she wasn’t forthcoming so I told her I would come back later. It will takes some time before we know if the current regiment of treatment is working.”

“What are you treating her with exactly?” Jack asked.

“10 mg of haloperidol to start. Its an antipsychotic that also is acting as a sedative for her agitation.”

“But you don’t know if its working?”

“She is sedated and no longer agitated, but I don’t know its effect on her psychosis yet. Its difficult to treat because the cause is unusual.”

“Is she still violent?” Nadia asked quietly. Until now, she had been sitting there staring at the floor as she listened. She didn’t want to face the fact that Sydney tried to kill her, or in fact had killed her father. She wasn’t even sure she wanted to be there at all and not at home with Eric, far away from Sydney. It was very conflicting.

“I have her in isolation because I believe she still is a risk to herself and others.”

“She’s never been a danger to herself though, has she?” Vaughn asked insistently. The thought of Sydney hurting herself was sickening to him. He felt a strong urge to run to her now and save her. Only he couldn’t. He was powerless.

“No, but there is still a possibility. I don’t want to take any risks. It is policy that we place involuntary patients in 24 hour isolation, even though she spent the first few hours in Emergency being treated for dehydration.”

“I just don’t see how putting her in isolation is the best thing for her,” Vaughn stated, trying to calm his emotions.

“Agent Vaughn, its only temporary. And it is a necessary step in her treatment.” Vaughn nodded reluctantly, trying to belay the image of Sydney locked in some padded room alone. He could only hope she didn’t have a straightjacket on.

“How long until we can see her?” Jack asked again.

“I can’t say,” the doctor responded.

“You must have some idea,” Jack replied with irritation.

“Agent Bristow, I don’t like to give estimates because it gets people’s hopes up. In all honesty, she may not want to see you for awhile given what happened and I wont force her to see anyone she doesn’t want to see.”

“I see.” Jack felt the bitterness of the situation. They all did as their minds burned impressions of an insane Sydney locked up in a mental ward, screaming and banging, having lost her mind. It was a scary image, but all three of them shared it in their minds as they felt a deep hurt for her.

Why the hell didn't they put her to the APO hospital section. They gave their fellow agent to people who they don't know and most problably can't trust. It seems that only Vaughn wants the best for her. And also she needs to see Nadia. I think it would make Syd to feel better.

Good work!

Chapter 30

Her skin crawled with the sensation of spiders ravelling their way around her body. It sent chills down her spine, through her feet and out her toes. Her hands trembled. She could feel him breathing. Inhale. Exhale. Cold veiling over her in shivers.

Fingertips met with her hair, entangling it strand by strand within each digit. Combing. Petting. Soon, his nails were etching lightly across her shoulders and over her back. Tickling... harder... scratching... even harder... scraping and scarring. Stinging. She shivered wildly, tucking her head into her lap and rocking back and forth.

Suddenly, his bold hands fiercely grabbled over her neck, strangling her breath away. She tried to scream. She couldn't scream. She was dying. He had her in his clutches as he was rabidly sucking her life away. She was going to hell.

"Sark" she mouthed without breath. His eyes swirled around her body, a smile creeping on his face. She shuddered, violently shaking for breath. "Please."

"Hush." He replied in a long drawn out whisper. His eyes went dark and longing as he looked deep into her. His desire filled him.

“No.” Sydney whimpered.

His laugh was wicked and sharp. It pierced through her skin, through her flesh and her heart. Her eyes filled with tears that rapidly streamed down her face.

“Shh...” Sark whispered into her ear, his cold breath creeping into her. All of a sudden, his eyes went hollow. His skin went bluey grey, dry and scaly. He stared at her as his ghost started to seep away.

Suddenly, he screamed. Shrill. Piercing. “Die!”

And he was gone.

Sydney scattered into a corner, when all of a sudden, white light flooded the room.

“Go away,” she cried.

“Agent Bristow.”

“Go away!” she screamed.

“Agent Bristow.” The voice said more pointedly as Sydney buried into herself. “Do you know where you are?”

“Hell?” Sydney said quietly as her head sunk deeper into her lap and tears filled her face.

“You’re in a hospital Agent Bristow.”

Sydney looked up, her face streaked with tears. It was true. She was locked in that tiny seclusion room.

“Who are you?” Sydney asked quietly.

“I’m Olivia. I’ll be your nurse for the night.”

“Oh.”

“Who were you talking to before?” The nurse asked. She was insistent, but not crude. Sydney nonetheless felt threatened.

“I can’t tell you.” Sydney said shaking her head.

“I need you to tell me,” Olivia asked unsympathetically.

“No!” Sydney screamed at her.

The light abruptly went away. Sydney let out a deep breath and went to the mattress and lay down. She huddled up into a ball, rocking herself back and forth, as she tightly closed her eyes. Her breathing went shallow and rapid as her heart rate picked up. She started to cry, weeping loudly. Wailing almost. She was all of a sudden terrified. She had no idea what it was. It was just everything. She didn’t know what to do, so she cried and screamed, not moving from the mattress. Her body simply lay in a violently shivering ball.

Bright light pierced her eyes.

She couldn’t see anything.

Suddenly strong hands gripped onto her arms.

There was a sparkle in the mass amount of light.

Sharp.

It was a needle.

“Agent Bristow, I need you to hold still.” Olivia said as she nodded to the two security guards holding Sydney down tightly.

“No!” Sydney screamed and struggled. “No!” Her voice went to a shrill rasp as she yelled at the top of her lungs, using up each breath fully and rapidly.

“We’re just giving you some medication. It will calm you down and make the voices go away,” Olivia explained calmly as her face remained concentrated on giving the injection.

Sydney kicked wildly as the guards held her down. Soon, they were gripping onto her legs too with one hand each. Their strength was greater than hers. She was weak and thin. Exhausted. Drowsy with medication. She couldn’t fight any longer. Her body stopped. Still. Tense but still.

A pierce into her arm.

Tears fighting their way down her face. She was still. Her breathing was uneven and shallow. Her heart was rapid. Her eyes were terrified. But she remained still. Frozen. She stared into the ceiling, her mouth moving, uttering something.

Please. Please. Please! She cried. Please.

Suddenly the light went away. She was surrounded by the darkness. It was as terrifying as the light. It was colder. Creepier. Filled with demons and ghosts.

Sydney lay there, staring up at the ceiling, her mind in a numb shock. Violated. Trapped.

Her breathing steadied. Each breathe grew deeper. Quieter. Calmer.

A single tear wept from her face. She just breathed. Everything grew quiet. The loudness of the hallway, the raging of Sark’s voice, the whispers of devils, they all went away as her eyes drifted closed, her eye lids leadened. She was carried away into a deep and numbing sleep.

It's interesting to me how the story will go on. Will she escape or will she be kidnapped by bad guys...
It will be locical... In my opinoion the most dramatic end would be the death of Sydney.

Thaks for updating!

Chapter 31

Nadia sat there staring numbly at the television. Evening news. Murders. Government cover ups. A fair coming to town. None of it really touched her, spoke to her, or made her wake up from her frozen state. She wasn't really watching it in fact. Just staring forward as the colours and lights flashed at her eyes.

She was sitting in Eric's apartment. She couldn't go back to her own, to Sydney's after everything. When she had came home after they caught Sydney, after she nearly drowned, she stood in the entranceway of her home and felt the bitter pain that seeped into her. After a moment, she turned around and walked out the door, not even locking it. She drove to Eric's a few blocks away and found herself falling into his arms with tears filling her cheeks. Now he had gone over there to get some of her things. So she sat there alone in his home.

Chills seeped over her as her mind hurled thoughts at her. Dead. You're father, he's dead. Sydney, she killed him. Sydney murdered your father. Sydney tried to kill you. You almost died. You're almost dead now. It all feels like death.

She felt like she was meeting an existential battle, hanging at the edge of nothingness and facing the front of meaninglessness. Every direction felt like emptiness, like bitter betrayal. Life had betrayed her. Would it betray her more? Find more ways to hurt her? Her whole life, she hoped for a family, for someone to love. They've just been ripped away from her. She has no family now. She has Eric and nothing else.

Darkness. Bitter bitter darkness jabbing itself into her back.

"Nadia?" a voice said softly from behind her. She was too lost in thought to hear it though.

Suddenly she felt a light touch on her shoulder. It startled her and she turned around fast to see Eric. Her face melted into relief for a moment, and then seeped back into sorrow.

"I got your things. I'll just put them in the bedroom, okay?" He said quietly, trying to exude sympathy. He himself felt sorrow over the situation. To see someone he loved falling apart, to see his good friend locked up in a hospital. To know Sydney tried to kill Nadia. He nearly had lost them both. He fretted over it deeply in the back of his mind as he tried to keep himself sane and together for Nadia.

"Thank you," Nadia replied with a tiny and dead voice. Eric sat down next to her and turned off the television. He pulled her into a hug, holding onto her tightly and desperately, letting his love flow over her, letting her know she wasn't alone. She still felt bitter and alone.

"I talked to Vaughn. Sydney's still in a seclusion room, but they are probably going to try putting her in a regular room on the ward soon. She'll be watched, but at least..." He trailed off as Nadia's eyes gazed away. He could tell she wasn't interested in hearing what he had to say. It was all too dark and confusing for her right now.

Eric held onto Nadia tightly, her eyes fixated on the wall with a deep look of sorrow on her face. She felt frozen in time, frozen in the hurt, in the pain. Eric stroked her back slowly, his own eyes filled with empathy for her. They just stayed there, tight in embrace, for a long while.

Sydney sat on the mattress as she stared at the darkness. At one point, they asked her if she wanted the lights on, but it only seemed a more dire situation to see the room around her. To see how enclosed she was. So she sat there in darkness just staring forward.

Suddenly there was a rush of light as someone opened the door. It was a woman. A different one than before. She walked into the room calmly, followed by two security guards. They stood by the door watching her with an eager eye.

"Its time to take your vitals, Sydney," she spoke in a soft and welcoming voice, much nicer than Nurse Olivia.

"What's the point. I'm not physically ill?"

"Its proper procedure," the nurse answered with a smile as she motioned for Sydney to lift her arm. She put the blood pressure cuff on Sydney as she started to pump it up. "We're going to move you to a different room soon, Sydney."

"Where?" Sydney said with eagerness. She never imagined she would get out of this room. She figured she'd been sentenced to spend her time here for the rest of her life, only coming out for supervised showers and bathroom breaks.

"In this ward. Just to a regular room. I don't know if its going to be a private room or not, yet. We'll see, I guess."

"Okay." Sydney felt hesitant. She didn't know if she should get her hopes up.

"Open," the nurse prompted as she stuck a thermometer probe under Sydney's tongue. There was silence for a few moments until the sound of beeping came from the device.

"Alright, we're all done here," she said with a smile.

She quickly left, followed by the two guards and soon, Sydney's world filled up with the darkness again. Instead of going back to the mattress, Sydney went over to the door and peered through the window. She watched everything that was going on in the ward. It looked alive out there unlike the death inside what felt like her prison cell.

Sydney had been peering out the tiny window for an hour when suddenly someone's face appeared. It was the same nurse as before. Sydney immediately stepped away from the door, nervously. She wasn't quite sure what she was anticipating, whether it was slightly more freedom, or whether they were taking her to a more hellish place.

"Alright, Sydney, you can come with me and I'll get you settled in your new room," she said, smiling, as she motioned Sydney out of the room.

The hallway was a bright white, with florescent lights lighting up the ward. As Sydney stepped out into the hallway, she felt blinded for a moment. She squinted her eyes as she walked forward. Her stomach churned with nerves.

"This way," the nurse said, guiding Sydney with a light touch on her back. It felt weird to her. She hadn't been touched like that in so long. Only held down and jabbed with needles, or had vitals taken. This was the first real touch, sympathetic touch, caring touch, she'd felt in so long. She didn't know whether to like it or not. Somehow she felt a warmth come over her though.

Sydney continued to walk down the hallway, her feet feeling cold against the floor. She was wearing thin little hospital slippers, but the coldness stung through them.

She passed several people as she made her way down the ward. Some were nurses, she assumed, but the one's that really grabbed her attention were the other patients. They were clothed in plain hospital pyjamas of beige colour, though one was wearing a blue gown like hers. The girl looked awkward in the gown, her arms hugging herself as she slowly walked down the hall. Their eyes met. The girl's eyes were filled with an intense look of fear and sadness. Sydney's heart felt for hers.

"Alright, here we are, Sydney," the nurse said as they arrived at a room.

In it there were a single twin bed, a table, a dresser and a cabinet. There was a window to the outside world with natural light flooding the room. It had bars on the outside of it. But it was real natural light. Sydney felt it bath over her pallid skin as she walked in.

"You're belongings are locked in the cabinet, except for your valuables. They are locked in the nurses station for safe keeping. If you need any of it, just ask."

"Okay," Sydney said quietly, still overwhelmed by the feeling of light bathing over her.

"I'll be down the hall if you need anything. Feel free to wander the ward. There's a dining room and a lounge. You can get to know some of the other patients if you want." Sydney nodded and the nurse left, smiling sweetly at Sydney.

Walking over to the bed, Sydney sat down on it. It was much more comfortable than the mattress. There were sheets. She finally had sheets to cover herself up in. And then, she noticed something even better. A pillow. She grabbed it and hugged it. She had a nice soft pillow to lay her head on.

After a moment, Sydney felt the ridiculousness of the situation. She was thrilled by the fact she had proper bedding. It was pathetic. But after spending the last 24 hours in the darkness of the seclusion room, this place felt so much lighter, freer. Somehow, she actually felt a small smile creep onto her face. She was free of the dark prison cell.

Back