Number of chars per server or account

Seeria

Cadet
I cannot recall if HJ has said how many characters we will be able to make per account or per server.

Any word on this?

I am not actually correcting anyone, I was just being randomly silly to relieve the tension of all of us wanting to know everything about the Necromancer guild YESTERDAY!

The quote is from HJ-Monty.

Originally posted by crisisfox@May 24 2006, 02:43 PM
I am not actually correcting anyone, I was just being randomly silly to relieve the tension of all of us wanting to know everything about the Necromancer guild YESTERDAY!

As far as I know there has been no announcement of the number of character slots either per server or per account or anything.

I shall slap HJ-Monty with a fish when I see him next ;)

<----Can't wait to see Spamalot this weekend B)

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca+May 25 2006, 03:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HJ-Sisca @ May 25 2006, 03:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-crisisfox@May 24 2006, 02:43 PM

As far as I know there has been no announcement of the number of character slots either per server or per account or anything.

I shall slap HJ-Monty with a fish when I see him next ;)

<----Can't wait to see Spamalot this weekend B) [/b][/quote]
I believe it may be illegal to smack someone with a fish for quoting Mnoty Python and the Holy Grail.

"First, thou shalt pull the holy pin, then count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the count shall be three. Four, shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, unless it is immediately followed by three. Five is right out."

Spamalot huh? You live in the DC area?

S.

I can almost gaurentee that Simutronics will do what FFXI did. For every extra character beyond 3 they will charge you money.

Originally posted by frostydf2@May 25 2006, 03:44 AM
I can almost gaurentee that Simutronics will do what FFXI did. For every extra character beyond 3 they will charge you money.
Except with FFXI, it was every character beyond one <_<

It would just be absolutely stupid if they only allowed one character. It would be almost as stupid if they only allow 3 characters. Now, maybe not nearly as stupid if--like in FF--one character could become all jobs...but this is not the case in HJ. Hero's Journey has 72 classes (or at least that many). With only one character slot it would take a server months before it had the same regular consistent population. With that many classes people have no idea what is going to suit them best and it will take them a long time experimenting with classes before they find the class they like. Also, knowing that they will only have 1 (or 3) character(s), they will most likely be extra careful choosing the class they are going to stick with. Most of the time people don't find out that they don't like a class until they've leveled that class up quite a bit.

To put somebody in the position to have to delete their character just to try another class is absurd. And it's just as absurd to charge them extra as an alternative to deleting a character. They may have been able to get away with this on Gemstone and DR (which is why I quit playing GS btw), but graphical MMOers are a spoiled lot, with the most popular of the MMO's offering many many character slots. And you have to admit, it takes a certain amount of patients to get into a text MMO...patients that the average MMOer doesn't have. EQ2 lost a ton of potential players to WoW because WoW was easier to get into right away.

Tell me, who want's to level a class up to 15 or so, delet him to try other classes, then find out that the original class is what they liked best? Ah shucks, they gotta go back and relevel to 15 when in other MMO's they'd just have to login with the char that would have never had to have been deleted. *sarcasim on* Doesn't that sound fun!! *sarcasim off*

Also, on a game with multiple server rulesets I don't see how they could limit you to 1 char per account. It would have to at least be per server. There are a lot of people like me who want a character for an RP server and a character for a PvP server.

Oh well, maybe it's just me, but with the huge number of classes available to us I'm going to want to try a ton of them before I decide on one...especially since a lot of these classes are completely new to MMOs and we have no idea how they'll be. To me, that alone is half of the appeal HJ has, and limiting me to 1 or 3 characters would completely take that appeal away.

I'm really hoping HJ offers AT LEAST 6 slots PER SERVER. Even with that I'll have to delete chars to try other class combos, or create more chars on all the other servers.

Originally posted by Rics@May 25 2006, 06:38 AM
It would just be absolutely stupid if they only allowed one character. It would be almost as stupid if they only allow 3 characters. Now, maybe not nearly as stupid if--like in FF--one character could become all jobs...but this is not the case in HJ. Hero's Journey has 72 classes (or at least that many). With only one character slot it would take a server months before it had the same regular consistent population. With that many classes people have no idea what is going to suit them best and it will take them a long time experimenting with classes before they find the class they like. Also, knowing that they will only have 1 (or 3) character(s), they will most likely be extra careful choosing the class they are going to stick with. Most of the time people don't find out that they don't like a class until they've leveled that class up quite a bit.

To put somebody in the position to have to delete their character just to try another class is absurd. And it's just as absurd to charge them extra as an alternative to deleting a character. They may have been able to get away with this on Gemstone and DR (which is why I quit playing GS btw), but graphical MMOers are a spoiled lot, with the most popular of the MMO's offering many many character slots. And you have to admit, it takes a certain amount of patients to get into a text MMO...patients that the average MMOer doesn't have. EQ2 lost a ton of potential players to WoW because WoW was easier to get into right away.

Tell me, who want's to level a class up to 15 or so, delet him to try other classes, then find out that the original class is what they liked best? Ah shucks, they gotta go back and relevel to 15 when in other MMO's they'd just have to login with the char that would have never had to have been deleted. *sarcasim on* Doesn't that sound fun!! *sarcasim off*

Also, on a game with multiple server rulesets I don't see how they could limit you to 1 char per account. It would have to at least be per server. There are a lot of people like me who want a character for an RP server and a character for a PvP server.

Oh well, maybe it's just me, but with the huge number of classes available to us I'm going to want to try a ton of them before I decide on one...especially since a lot of these classes are completely new to MMOs and we have no idea how they'll be. To me, that alone is half of the appeal HJ has, and limiting me to 1 or 3 characters would completely take that appeal away.

I'm really hoping HJ offers AT LEAST 6 slots PER SERVER. Even with that I'll have to delete chars to try other class combos, or create more chars on all the other servers.
/agree

I'm an MMORPG veteran.

I played FFXI, where you only could have one character per server.

I played SWG, where you could only have one character per server AND only ten characters total. Now you can only have two characters per server, but the cap at 10 is still in place.

I play EQ2, where you can only have six characters total.

I played WoW, where you could have a whole bunch of characters, even on the same server, as long as they weren't of different factions.

---

Of those, I liked the WoW system. No, not liked better, liked at all. I want to be able to experiment with a bunch of different builds, and have a bunch of different characters on the same server - both for RPing reasons and for community reasons (thou shalt not underestimate the importance of guilds).

So yeah. Cap the number of characters, but make it high enough that we can try out a bunch of things. Like, say, 6 characters per server.

I agree. An amount around 10 per server would be good. Especially with so many different combinations available. However, WoW did have one problem. The reason why I tried so many characters was because I hit the lvl 60 limit SO early on and got board of doing the same things over and over again.

If HJ is really as diverse as I believe (hope) it's going to be, I doubt I would try more than 5 character types over the life of the game - especially if I became really attached to my character(s).

If they limit is 1-3 per server I think HJ will lose a lot more playerbase than what they might think. A lot of MMOers can be dramatic and emotional, especially RPers :smiley: The general lot of us are fairly creative and passionate and that's why we play games with so much depth and diveristy. We can also be very persistant.

A lot of people are going to reach a point in the class they choose that, for some unexplainable reason, they are finding that class lacking...or just simply get bored of the class they chose. Then they sit there and think, "Gah, but to try another one I'd have to delete this character." Now they sink deeper. They are disgruntled with their class. They want to try a different class, but they don't want to destroy something they've invensted so much time in to do it. So they keep playing their class, all the while becoming more and more depressed and disgruntled. Eventually they get to a point where they ask "why"...and just completely lose interest in playing. So they log on less and less, and soon, not at all.

As an author I experience this a lot. There are a lot of books, stories, etc, that I've started and gotten quite far on, and for some reason or other I stop working on it. Some of it I may never go back to, but if you told me I'd have to destroy it I'd respond with a big "hell no."

My point is this: We get emotionally attached to our characters, the time we put in them, the social life we've created with them, and their stories. Do we really want a community where people are playing these characters while wishing they could be playing something else? How many of you still have "first" characters that you never play, but find it really hard to delete?

The reason why I tried so many characters was because I hit the lvl 60 limit SO early on and got board of doing the same things over and over again.
Ok, Milamber, now imagine getting to that point on HJ. So you get bored of that max level character...would you choose "killing" that character you've spent so much time on over living through that boredom? And how long could you continue to find enjoyment when playing becomes boring?

I think a lot of us would choose to play through the boredom over killing a character. And soon we'll grow bored of the game and our playtime will decreas...then soon we cancel our account. And a lot of this would happen subconciously. Believe it or not, I think a lot of us would rather cancel their account over deleting our character to try another class. At least if we cancel our account our character is still there if we ever wish to go back.

Soon you'd find the only people left in HJ are the hardcore people who get so consumed with their character that they can't bring themselves to leave, people who are truly happy with their character, and people who use it for social reasons and RP since they've already been through all the content in the game 20 times.

I don't know if Simu realizes this or not, but the fewer character slots they allow, the harder it will make things on them. They will have to work 10x as hard to stimulate us and keep our interest up. Players would not get as bored with content if they have 72 possibly ways to go through it.

One reason of WoW's success is the option to create so many characters. I believe the limit was 8 per server (one of each class) and 50 total.
Many friends of mine have a multitude of characters but none of them is lvl 60 (cap). They were mostly what you'd call 'casual gamers' but after 10 lvl 20-50 chars it's hardly casual anymore. :smiley:

This may be a problem with 72 character classes. I don't know how much memory each char would take on the servers, but Simu should do it's best to allow as much characters as possible.

In FFXI and SWG, did you pay a fixed amount for another char slot or did the monthly fee increase?

In FFXI you payed 1.99 a month per character. In SWG you played 30+14.99 a month (box and subscription fee lol) for an extra character (and account, you would be suprised how many had 4 accounts).

I agree as many character slots as possible, there are 2, (possibly 3 when it comes out) mmo players in the house, so having multiple accounts for our alt fetishes would be something we couldn't do.

This is why I liked DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot)... 10 characters per server, that is, unless you were on the PvP or PvE Co-Op server (Mordred/Gaheris, resp.). Being that I played on Gaheris, I had 10 character slots per realm, and all three realms open meant having 30 character slots :P Talk about alt-a-holism :eek:

~ Jaraeth

Back