Peace of mind

jess

Zzzzz
Title: Peace of mind

Chapters: 1/1

Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em. Don’t sue. All belongs to the brilliant J.J Abrams and his associates.

Summary: Set in season 3 after Repercussions. Sydney’s thoughts during a drinking session with Weiss.

Ship: S/V. Well sorta...its kinda angsty

A/N: The idea for this fic kinda sprung in my head unexpectedly and I hope it makes sense…it did in my head. I know I have another fic floating around here somewhere which I’m still writing ie. Shades of Red (*smirk* shameless self-promotion) and I promise to finish writing that. This fic is to get the creative juices flowing :D Hope you enjoy!

PEACE OF MIND

I am the pillar of strength that everyone seeks…that everyone relies on. I am the pillar carved out of stone that embodies vigor, reliability and endurance. Everyone leans on me knowing that I will stop them from falling; I will help them stand again. Once they can stand I help them walk…they walk away with a brief look behind them as their gesture of gratitude.

I stand here as the pillar of strength.

Alone.

Despite the many people I help no one stays. Once they have found what they were looking for they move on.

Alone, I endure the weather: the blistering heat, the raging storm, and the paralyzing cold. Despite my world-renowned strength, the weather has its toll and cracks begin to show. Small lines traced clumsily around me begin to grow wider and longer as the unforgivable weather has no end. The cracks evolve into crevasses and I feel the ground shift beneath me…I feel myself sway unsteadily…I feel my body crumbling.

People still stop and lean against me, seeking the dependability and strength they know I give. So I give because I don’t want them to see that stone has turned into sand…the pillar of strength is now the pillar of false hope. But the cracks continue to evolve into crevasses as new cracks are born and I feel myself inching away from stability.

The pillar of strength is no longer strong.

No one stops and leans on me anymore, no one even notices the many jaded pieces falling from the former pillar of strength.

Who will pick up the pieces that I can’t? Who will help me put the fallen pieces back into place and cover the cracks? Who will hold me together when I can’t? Who will be…

“…my glue?” I pronounce drowsily, my intoxication evident as I struggle to pour another shot for myself.
“Your glue?” Weiss asks incredulously as he furrows his brow. He is just as intoxicated as he clumsily spills his shot across the coffee table. “Sydney, I think you’ve had way too much to drink. I’m cutting you off.” Weiss reaches for the tequila bottle but his state of drunkenness causes him to spill the contents on the floor. I burst out into a fit of giggle as the sight of Weiss scrambling to save the remaining alcohol entertains me.

I sigh heavily, enjoying this state of blissful ignorance as the numerous shots have deafened me to the agonizing internal bleeding. Ever since I woke up in Hong Kong, a gaping hole now stands where my heart use to vacate.

I unconsciously shudder at the memory of Vaughn uttering words of agony, his refusal to lift his eyes – the window to his soul. The pain and hurt that co-existed with the love and passion in our relationship blankets Vaughn’s face as I struggle to determine whether his anguish stems from my disorientation and confused pain or from the fact that I am here and he has to see me.

Then I see my answer.

The gleam of his wedding band blinding me and I drown in the depths of the pool of despair.

“Sydney, are you listening to me?” Weiss waves his hand in front of face which causes me to awaken from my reverie.
“Of course I’m not.” I answer cheekily the remnants of my intoxication still showing.
“Yes, typical.” Weiss mutters.

Our drinking session ends shortly and I know that reality is waiting for me to return so it can enjoy the infliction of the harsh truth – I have no glue.

“Glue? You’re still going on about that?” Weiss questions groggily as he begins to clear the table of the plethora of used shot glasses and empty alcohol bottles. I sigh in resignation and assist Weiss in the clean up.

I use to have glue. Loyal, devoted, faithful glue.

Glue that kept me together in my darkest hour. Glue that answered my every beckoning, no matter the time. Glue that knew just what to say and when to say it. Glue that was willing to be my pillar of strength. And for one briefest moment in a life that now exists only as a distant memory, I had my glue…I had Vaughn.

“Just before I leave, you should know that Vaughn is out of the hospital.” I lift my eyes to Weiss who is standing at the front door. “He’s recovering at home for a couple of days before coming back to work.” I smile but the sentiment does not reach my eyes. Weiss returns the gesture, only acutely aware of the pain in my eyes, before he waves goodbye and walks out the door. My smile vanishes and the painful ache that has been tormenting me returns.

I no longer have Vaughn because someone else does. He is someone else’s glue.

Lauren Reed. The wife.

Vaughn and I, we were the pillar of strength. Together. We relied on each other more than we realized…we gave each other strength more than we had to…we loved each other more than we wanted to admit.

We were each other’s pillars of strength. We leaned on one another to stop each other from falling. We helped each other stand again. We helped each other walk and we walked away together.

Pillars of strength.

Together.

Professionally. Personally. Emotionally. Psychologically. Physically.

And now, that is just a cherished memory relived only by those who can endure the pain of acknowledging what had been and what is now lost.

I stagger towards my bedroom to lay my emotionally battered body on my comfortable bed. My energy has been evaporated by my inner turmoil and my body moves with little thought – every night has turned into an arduous routine. I kick off my shoes and lay on top of the bed sheets, unable to muster enough energy to care about changing into my pajamas and sleeping under the covers.

Before I drift off into another fitful slumber, a question – the same question every night – lurks in my mind, seeking an answer.

I’ve lost my glue and every pillar of strength needs their glue…needs their own pillar of strength.

Who will be mine?

that was strange.....bloody big vocab....it was good though.....it kind of sounded like something one of those old authors of the really thick books would write...you know like something random about philosphy or something..
but still good start write more soon
come and read mine
its called REALITY

dangerous_agent said:
that was strange.....bloody big vocab....it was good though.....it kind of sounded like something one of those old authors of the really thick books would write...you know like something random about philosphy or something..
but still good start write more soon
come and read mine
its called REALITY
Sorry, must apologise for the strangeness...I honestly have no idea where the idea for the fic came from and the analogy I used...must be my exams making me crazy. I'm also flattered about it sounding like philosophy, which by the way have no clue about either because its too complex to even comprehend so I won't try ;) I just thought it would be neat to delve into the thoughts of the ever so complicated Sydney Bristow.

I'm considering writing one from Vaughn's point of view...I'll just have to see if I have another strange idea.

dangerous agent, I'm going to read your fic now ^_^

Wow, this is awesome! You have to continue, I am hooked. I can't wait to read more. I already feel bad for Sydney. The whole "Gule" anagoly (Spelled wrong) is really well written, and thought about. Never thought of that. Anyway, great start. Can I get a pm when you update please? Thanks :D (y)

Love ya,

Penny :angelic:

pennstatechic said:
Wow, this is awesome! You have to continue, I am hooked. I can't wait to read more. I already feel bad for Sydney. The whole "Gule" anagoly (Spelled wrong) is really well written, and thought about. Never thought of that. Anyway, great start. Can I get a pm when you update please? Thanks :D (y)

Love ya,

I'm glad you thought the "glue" analogy was good. It sounded alright was I planning it in my head but it became a different story when I started writing it out. So its a relief that people actually got what I was trying to say...I did hesitate for a nanosecond ;)

This was suppose to be 1 chapter only but you guys have given great feedback that I'm really tempted to continue which I think I might. I'm thinking about writing from Vaughn's POV and currently formulating some ideas. I'm gonna have heaps of spare time soon so I'll have plenty of time to write more for this fic and my other one (Shades of Red if you wish to read it ;) )

Again, thanks for the feedback and I'll keep ya posted on any updates. ^_^

jess said:
pennstatechic said:
Wow, this is awesome! You have to continue, I am hooked. I can't wait to read more. I already feel bad for Sydney. The whole "Gule" anagoly (Spelled wrong) is really well written, and thought about. Never thought of that. Anyway, great start. Can I get a pm when you update please? Thanks :D  (y)

Love ya,

I'm glad you thought the "glue" analogy was good. It sounded alright was I planning it in my head but it became a different story when I started writing it out. So its a relief that people actually got what I was trying to say...I did hesitate for a nanosecond ;)

This was suppose to be 1 chapter only but you guys have given great feedback that I'm really tempted to continue which I think I might. I'm thinking about writing from Vaughn's POV and currently formulating some ideas. I'm gonna have heaps of spare time soon so I'll have plenty of time to write more for this fic and my other one (Shades of Red if you wish to read it ;) )

Again, thanks for the feedback and I'll keep ya posted on any updates. ^_^
I would love to read it, and it would be very interesting to read Vaughn's POV. I hope that you will continue, and if you do please pm me!! :D

Love ya,

I’ve lost my glue and every pillar of strength needs their glue…needs their own pillar of strength.

Who will be mine?

Man this story was really, really deep and I absolutely adore it!! You are a fantastic writer-never let anyone tell you different, and if you do update PM me for sure! Thanks and awesome fic! :D

Sarah Vartan, thankyou for the positive feedback and the compliment! :D To be honest, this fic (Peace of Mind) is only my second fic I've written so its nice to hear such great comments. ^_^

As promised, I wrote a sequel to Peace of mind and its Vaughn's POV. I haven't seen season 3 yet, I've only read bits and pieces of transcripts, that's all. So my apologies if anything is inaccurate and such. I hope you enjoy it and I hope it all makes sense. ^_^

Title: Apathy

Chapters: 1/1

Disclaimer: Don’t own ‘em. Don’t sue. All belongs to the brilliant J.J Abrams and his associates.

Summary: Sequel to Peace of Mind. Set season 3 after repercussions. Vaughn's thoughts about life and life without Sydney.

Ship: S/V....angsty stuff involved. There's V/L in there as well to follow the current season 3 storyline.

APATHY

Regret.

I see it everywhere.

I see it when I wake up…when I read the paper…when I go to work…when I see Sydney…when I see Lauren…when I look in the mirror.

Regret: missed opportunities, unwanted consequences, unchangeable past, and avoidable mistakes. The tears that fill my eyes…the pain that occupies my heart…the confusion that clouds my mind…regret saturates my life.

Heavy feet makes walking strenuous and heavy arms makes work grueling but a heavy heart makes life unbearable.

For a while I tried to carry my heavy heart by myself leading to disastrous results. I was drowning in my own sorrow and I did not want anyone to save me because I would rather drown than suffer the sting of losing a loved one. But then I found someone who was able to save me and help me carry the baggage weighing down my heart. To show my gratitude I asked her hand in marriage…but I was really trying to convince myself and everyone else that I had to move on. Even though she only diluted my anguish, it was enough to make me accept the truth – Sydney was dead and she is not coming back to me.

“Sweetheart, does it still hurt?” Lauren whispers soothingly as she wipes away the tears staining my cheeks. I nod my head in reply but I wince as a sudden rush of pain strikes my stab wound and more tears escape but for different reasons. Lauren tightens her grip on my hand as she anxiously attempts to smoother my pain by caressing my brow.
“You’re going to be late for work.” I whisper after the pain recedes.
“I have a reason.” Replies Lauren as she continues to stroke my brow. “Maybe I shouldn’t go to work. You’re still not at your best.”
“Honey, I’ll be fine. The pain is not as bad as before.”

Lauren looks unconvinced but knows how stubborn I am and quickly surrenders. “You sure?” Lauren questions as a last ditch effort which she knows is futile. I smile in response and she returns the gesture before standing up. “Well at least let me make you a cup of coffee before I leave.” Lauren lightly kisses my forehead and as she exits our bedroom I feel my smile disappear.

Just when I thought I had a life that closely resembled a life I fantasized about years ago, one person diverted it onto a rocky path.

Sydney Bristow.

Once again, her presence has a kaleidoscopic effect on my life, as I am simultaneously exhilarated and distressed to know that she is back in my life. I knew the tears I cried every night for her would only cease by her impossible return. What I failed to remember is nothing is impossible to Sydney Bristow evident by her sudden reappearance after two years of her scientifically proven death. Ironically, her return caused more tears to flow and was accompanied by the inevitable ‘what if’s and ‘if only’s.

Just when I thought I was on the road to recovery I find myself on the road of regret.

Just when I thought I contained the power Sydney had over my life it is unleashed and I am powerless.

Lauren enters our bedroom holding a steaming cup of coffee and the strong caffeine smell invades my senses. She cautiously places the mug on the bedside table before sitting on the edge of the bed and she captures my hand in hers.

“Have you taken your pills today?” Lauren asks kindly with a smile. I shake my head in reply as I unconsciously stroke her hand with my thumb. Without another word, Lauren rises from her position and exits the bedroom again.

When I met Sydney it felt like I was starting a jigsaw puzzle.

Every mission brought us closer…every mission I added a new piece to the puzzle. A year later when the presence of SD-6 disappeared from our lives I realized the puzzle was a picture.

A picture of Sydney and I.

Together.

Happy.

It was then I realized I was no longer solving the puzzle by myself. Sydney was helping and we were happy. But that is when disaster stuck. All I remember are blurred pictures, incomprehensible voices and unrelenting torture.

I died when Sydney did.

I could not finish the jigsaw puzzle because there was one piece missing…I was left with an incomplete puzzle…an incomplete picture…an incomplete life.

For a long time I frantically searched for a replacement for the missing piece. For a long time the illusions offered by alcohol was a sufficient replacement but not a healthy one. Lauren Reed…she was the replacement I was looking for…and even though I knew the piece did not fit the puzzle I changed it so it would…so I would not have an incomplete picture…an incomplete life.

To the naked eye, the picture is flawless but on closer inspection there are subtle faults and scattered blemishes. But I didn't care because I knew that I was never going to have the perfect life with Sydney that I dreamt of.

“Here you go.” Lauren places a couple of pills in my open hand and offers a glass of water. I obediently swallow my medication and smile graciously at Lauren who, once again, seizes my hand in her hands. I stroke her hand soothingly with my hand, sensing her insecurities which were ignited by Sydney’s re-emergence.

“I better go.” Lauren states, retracting her hand from mine to smooth out her skirt and top as she stands up.
“Okay.” I reply as my hand dejectedly drops on top of the bed sheets. “I’ll see you tonight.” I move towards Lauren and she lowers her head to share a tender kiss before departing our bedroom, leaving me with my thoughts.

I rest my head on my pillow as I stare at the photos of Lauren and I scattered around the room. That is when it hits me. That is when I realize what I need to accept.

Sydney and I, we are not who were before…I don't know if we can be. But I still can’t sleep when Sydney is on operations and I still have the perpetual creases marking my forehead when she is in trouble. I know I still love Sydney because she makes me smile while tears caused by her are streaming down my face.

The truth is…some things never change…but some things do…

A.I.C. said:
The truth is…some things never change…but some things do…
That's so true! You're a great writer! Fantastic update! Thanks for the PM! Please post more soon! :woot:
Thanks for the feedback :D If I get any inspiration from other episodes of Alias, I'll definitely post more.

Holy felgercarb you are an amazing writer. I can't believe this is only your second fic. I must say once again, that whole jig saw puzzle thing was very smart. It was so cute to read. You are really, and I mean <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>REALLY</span> talented. I love this fic, and I hope that you will write more. The last line was so true, but for Vaughn and Sydney I hope they get back together.

Because somethings WILL never change!!!

Love ya,

pennstatechic said:
Holy felgercarb you are an amazing writer. I can't believe this is only your second fic. I must say once again, that whole jig saw puzzle thing was very smart. It was so cute to read. You are really, and I mean <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>REALLY</span> talented. I love this fic, and I hope that you will write more. The last line was so true, but for Vaughn and Sydney I hope they get back together.

Because somethings WILL never change!!!

Love ya,

Thankyou very much....I'm very flattered ^_^ I'm surprised my brain is functioning so well during exam time ;) I wasn't sure if Apathy would be as good as Peace of Mind...but your comments tell me otherwise.

Hopefully I'll have something brewing for another fic and will definitely post some more up because of your comments and encouragement :D

Hope S/V get back together but if they don't, I'll write a fic ;)

Again, thankyou for the comments.

WOW! Anoter great fic. I really LOVE reading your work. You're a great writer. Like I said on my other post on your other fic, I can't wait to read some more of your work.

omg i hve this idea like yours the puzzle thing i wrote a peom though becuse im not the greatest long story writer o well that was really good

omg i hve this idea like yours the puzzle thing i wrote a peom though becuse im not the greatest long story writer o well that was really good

I have to say that this is definitely the, or one of the, best stories I've ever read, on here or on fanfiction.net, or wherever. It's another Sydney Comes Back And Other People's Reactions, but it isn't the usual "my heart aches, I don't know how to go on with her back in my life...blah blah blah". You use wonderful, truthful analogies that makes it so real you can clearly commiserate with everyone's feelings and what they're going through, without having it so cliché that it's almost sickening to read. I love the puzzle...glue...pillar...all of the metaphors you used, and I actually feel like I'm in their lives, onlooking from the distance, but still in tune to their thoughts. This may seem like a sappy, unnecessary reply with comments that are unreliable, but I am telling you the truth, I swear. I loved this story, as well as it's sequel, and I wish there were more to continue them, but regardless, I will wait to see if you write more, and I really hope you do, because your language and diction are so eloquent and flawless that I would like to see it continue.

Again, wonderful work and I hope to read more of it soon,
destinedfaith

Back