Rbot.qx - help!

Tommy

Seeing A Ghost
I'm trying to fix my aunt's computer. After some snooping, I figured out that she had a virus called rbot.qx . I deleted all of the registry files, downloaded patches, and deleted any other files associated with the virus, but it keeps regenerating. Has anyone had any experience with this worm? Any idea about how I can get rid of it?

Here's an explanation of the virus:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotqx.html

This is the only company that I have seen that offers an actual tool to remove it, however you have to purchase their anti virus software, which I am NOT doing.

If this is a windows machine... is System Restore off? If not, kill it. Then follow the typical removal routine.

Its a cheap bottom end Dell running XP. No, she doesn't currently have any anti virus (she's one of those people who shouldn't have a computer). I think I'm gonna head back up there on Tuesday to give it a look. So, we'll see what I can come up with.

I know that windows has a new anti-spyware software that's free but I can't think if they have any anit-virus software.

It won't hurt to also do anti-spyware with Spybot and Ad-aware, if you haven't already.

Quite honestly, you may want to have you aunt purchase Norton Antivirus and Norton Firewall protection, if she wants to keep her computer virus free in the future.

ALiAs_AgEnT_423 said:
Quite honestly, you may want to have you aunt purchase Norton Antivirus and Norton Firewall protection, if she wants to keep her computer virus free in the future.
[post="1237778"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yes, I've told her, but she has no idea what I'm talking about. So, I'm the one who would have to do it, and I just haven't. Although I suppose its better than me treading up there all the time to fix it.

By the way, does anyone know where the games are kept on Windows (solitaire, minesweeper, etc)? Mine have mysteriously disappeared from my programs list and I want to check it out - but I don't know where they would be located. :confused: I think some registry files that weren't supposed to be deleted were when I uninstalled Flyakite.

Games are in whatever_your_win_directory_is\system32\

Anyway, which AV's have you tried? I recently went through a big string of different AV programs and I've settled - happily - on AVG Free. Not because of the freeness, though, but because it's just catches more on the systems that I admin.

Vesh said:
Games are in whatever_your_win_directory_is\system32\

Anyway, which AV's have you tried? I recently went through a big string of different AV programs and I've settled - happily - on AVG Free. Not because of the freeness, though, but because it's just catches more on the systems that I admin.
[post="1237875"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Haven't tried much yet. I only had around twenty minutes so all I was able to do was delete the registry files for her. I was hoping that would work; it didn't. I'm going to download some adware, spyware, and anti virus programs for her and do a couple sweeps the next time I'm there.

Edit: Yup, the games are still in there, they just aren't in my programs list under games. Hmmm :confused: