Redemption

Oh man i so loved the way he told Jack off! :woot:
Jack so deserved that. . .
I mean its not like Jack's always been perfect. :rolleyes:

thanks for the pm!
Please update soon. . I cant wait to read how things go between Syd and Vaughn on the mission/honeymoon :D

Hi All!

I am so glad you are enjoying Redemption so far and there is good stuff coming up in the next few chapters! I think though I am going to forgo PMs. I have a few people requesting pms and replying, but hundreds of views. It's a little discouraging, but I promise to post the whole fic. So, I'm not going to send out pms, but I promise to post every day or two ok? Oh and please leave a word or two if you have a moment!

Without further ado.

Chapter 5:

Terms of endearment

Dixon had informed the three of them that because of their cover (which directly translated into CIA expense budget cuts) they would be flying commercial…coach. When Jack, Sydney and Vaughn reached the airport, they discovered their flight was going to be delayed for at least 2 hours. The official reason was “mechanical servicing” which could mean anything from a missing pilot to the Aft Engine falling off.

The three waited in the “Eagle Lounge”, which was actually a CIA safe zone. The lounge was complete with various high tech equipment, and an unusually comfortable sofa. It also had a wide screen TV with a satellite dish. YES!

Jack went into the tech room, while Syd and Vaughn sat on the wide leather sofa. Sydney picked up the remote, set the channel on ESPN and handed the remote to Vaughn. How could he NOT love this woman? Luckily a Kings game was one so he had something else to do rather than continue with that particular train of thought.

Periodically, and announcement was heard on the overhead PA updating the continued delay of Flight 171 with nonstop service to Vancouver. Where was that pilot or were they running to Home Depot for more Duct Tape?

After the game, Vaughn handed Sydney the remote. While she was surfing the channels, he noticed a gleam on her left hand as she extended her arm to change the channels. It was the gleam of the simple platinum band that was a match to the one he wore. Marshall must have picked out a matching set.

Vaughn became mesmerized by the sight of that ring. He had been right. The thin band was the perfect compliment to Sydney’s slim finger. Like a shaft of moonlight wrapped around the finger of the Warrior goddess Athena…

“What the @#%$^&*(^% was that!”

Unbeknownst to him, while on a mission someone must have implanted a chip in his brain that made him channel bad romance novels.

“BLAGH!”

“The next thing I know I’ll be using terms of endearment” Vaughn thought to himself

Vaughn wondered if Sydney remembered what happened when terms of endearment were used.

He shook his head to clear that thought, but was again caught by the ring. He realized there was no accompanying engagement ring. He would have gotten her a ring. Lauren had wanted to pick one out with him. Not because it was some fun thing to pick out rings together, but because she didn’t trust him to pick out the right one. Lauren had picked out a 2 carat princess cut diamond. He thought it looked… like a big ole hunk of clear rock.

“Sydney would trust me” he thought.

He wouldn’t get her a diamond though. Truth be told he wasn’t much of a diamond fan. They were colorless and hard. He’d get Sydney a sapphire. No, a ruby. Yea, a fire red ruby. He could imagine taking her down to the pier and having it hidden inside a new pager Marshall had designed to actually be a ring box. He would get down on one knee, open the pager and….

“NO NO NO NO! THIS COULD NOT HAPPEN”

Vaughn practically catapulted himself off the couch.

“Are you ok?” a startled Sydney asked.

“Yea fine… I’m going to just… go check on the plane”

Vaughn practically ran out of the room and down the corridor to the public restroom. He stood in front of the sink and threw cold water over his face. He looked at himself in the mirror. This was just the kind of thoughts that Jack Bristow thought were weak. But were they really or was the truth continually creeping up on him like a stealth thought suddenly unmasking itself time and time again until he was forced to look it in the eye. OK, it was time to look it in the eye. Vaughn raised his head and looked at himself directly in the eyes. He was in love with Sydney Bristow. He used to have affection with his wife and enjoyed her company and touch, but that had been slowly slipping away for them both. Could he continue to live like that? Could he ask Lauren to live like that? It wasn’t a rationalization. Vaughn really did not think Lauren was having the best of times either. They were both trying to force feelings they no longer had.

There it was the TRUTH UNMASKED. It wasn’t pretty and it kind of made him sad. Vaughn had meant his wedding vows; they just had not been based in the kind of love that had roots that lasted. He couldn’t really see him and Lauren being there for each other if times were tough. At the beginning he could, because Lauren seemed to emotionally carry him through. But things couldn’t be that one-sided and work.

“Had Lauren really been there for him?” There was something nagging at the back of Vaughn’s brain. It was interrupted by the announcement that Flight 172 would begin boarding in 20 minutes. They must have found the pilot or crazy glued the wing together.

Vaughn felt suddenly lighter, sad, but light. He had made a decision. He had to talk to Lauren. Face to face, before he talked to anyone else…except Sydney. He was not sure if he could make it through a long term mission, being close to her without telling her that his marriage was over.

Vaughn was not exactly sure what that meant for he and Sydney. He certainly did not expect her to just jump right back into his arms, not that he wouldn’t catch her if she did. He actually wanted a courtship this time.

“Whoa there me boyo, you sure are assuming a lot. What if she doesn’t WANT YOU ANY MORE?” an annoying snide voice said in the back of his mind. This was the same little voice that told Vaughn not to kiss Sydney in the blood mobile and told him it was too soon to tell her he loved her. Vaugn hated that little voice.

Vaughn shook his head to dislodge the "voice" and squared his shoulders. Telling Syd was a chance that he would have to take. Besides, even if Sydney was not in the picture, his marriage to Lauren was essentially over. Although Sydney had stopped him in North Korea, the look in her eyes went straight to his heart. If he searched around in his heart a little he could find that look, categorized with sideways looks, under lashes looks, shy looks and full on looks that smoked with passion.

“OK those smoky looks had to be recatagorized. He couldn’t just stumble on them in his heart like that. It was dangerous. Hopeful too.

Vaughn put his feelings about Lauren and the impending demise of their marriage into a compartment marked “deal with after mission”. He wanted to test the waters a little with Sydney. He certainly did not want to pursue any sort of relationship with Sydney until his marriage was officially ended. It was the right thing to do. A little recon flirting was in order however. If only there was a corner around.

He got back to the lounge just as Sydney and Jack were lining up to board the flight. Jack handed them both books.

As they were handing their tickets to the agent, Sydney noted her dad’s seat number.

“Hey dad, why do you get to set in first class and we don’t?’

“Rank does have its privileges Sydney”

Jack smiled at Sydney and then looked at Vaughn. They stared at each other for a few seconds. Jack then gave a slight upturn of the corners of his mouth and nodded at Vaughn before turning and walking onto the plane.

Sydney turned to Vaughn with her hands on her hips and her head tilted to one side

"Well, would you like to tell me what that little exchange was about?"

“No, not especially…DEAR”

Sydney was stunned. Vaughn had just thrown down the Term of Endearment Gauntlet. She could not believe he even remembered it. What did it mean that he was using it?

One of the numerous things she and Vaughn had in common was a distaste for terms of endearment. They were usually used for 2 reasons: to annoy or render speechless. The use of “baby” carried a higher offense and was grounds for a no holes barred, knock down drag out to the death wrestling match as only 2 spies who know each others ticklish spots can engage.

Being the competitive sorts, they had once engaged in the Ultimate Battle of Endearment Nausea. It had taken about a week, but Sydney had been declared the undisputed champion after Vaughn had surrendered, shrieking with his hands over his ears. The winning term had been “Vaughnalicious Spymuffin”. As loser, Vaughn had to wash her work out clothes for a week and somehow work in “bananas in pajamas” into a briefing. It had been a sight to behold.

Besides, it wasn’t like she and Vaughn didn’t use any terms of endearment.

flashback

Sydney had just completed yet another mission with Vaughn on com and Weiss on ops. Once again, it had been fraught with peril and she had narrowly missed being shot by Sark. She had rendezvous with Weiss and Vaughn at the CIA safe house. She had gone into the living room where Vaughn had been tensely sitting on the couch waiting for her. He pulled her into his lap and kissed her senseless. They had then just sat with their fore heads touching, just breathing in each other.

“Hey Bozo” Vaughn said softly, rubbing his nose against hers.

“Hey Pizza Boy” Syd had replied putting his head on her shoulder.

“YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!” Weiss came out from the kitchen.

“You!” He points to Vaughn

“You have the most beautiful girlfriend in all of spy land who can reduce terrorists all over the world to Jell-O with one smoldering look, who is considered a threat to governments just by wearing leather and you call her BOZO!”

“And you!” he turned to Sydney, pointing an accusatory finger.

“My man here has been voted Hottest Agent by the secretary pool (both male and female) 14 months running and would routinely draw crowds in ops training every time he took off his shirt, and you call him PIZZA BOY”

“THAT’S JUST WRONG PEOPLE”

Weiss shook his head and stalked off.

“ I’m going to go scrounge for food”

End of Flashback

Sydney smiled to herself and then sobered. It did not matter. Unless Vaughn essentially said “My marriage is over. It has nothing to do with you, we just don’t love each other. I would be getting a divorce even if you were not alive” she would stand firm, even though she felt like she was continually standing on quicksand.

Sydney and Vaughn took their seats. Sydney avoided looking at Vaughn as she pulled out the book Jack had given her. Vaughn did the same. They were operation plans concealed in textbooks. Vaughn’s was disguised in Modern Theology while Syd’s was in English as a Second Language, Turning Theory into Practice. That must have been what Jack had been working on during the flight delay.

The plan was fairly simple. Posing as housekeeping, Sydney and Vaughn would plant the microchips in the hotel suite. The CIA had intercepted a communiqué from Sark, indicating he would be picking up someone at the airport tomorrow night. Hopefully, he was picking up his accomplice. Syd and Vaughn would be able to go in the morning.

Once he and Sydney had completed their mission review, they sat in silence. Vaughn was sure he had freaked Sydney out with that “Dear” thing. He knew she knew he knew exactly what he was doing, although he wasn’t sure what he had just said

Vaughn sighed. He would have to tell Sydney what was going on, but how? He sat tapping his pencil against the armrest in a pattern that almost sounded like a code.

“Code! That’s it!” Vaughn thought.

It had all started as a way to pass the time on missions when he had been Syd’s handler. They were both pretty much math geniuses and had used down time on missions to develop their own personal unbreakable code based on a variation of Transcendental Number Based Encryption. It had become quite intricate, especially one night circling over Greenland for about 6 hours waiting for weather to clear. They had tested it on Marshall. After 2 months, he still had not cracked it. The code had begun as a way to pass time, but had become useful on missions. After the fall of SD6 they also had begun to use it to pass personal notes like teenagers at the CIA. The code was verbal as well as written. Poor Weiss had numerous times unknowingly passed rather personal messages between them

Flashback

“Hey Weiss can you come here for a minute”

“Sure Sydney, what’s up?”

“Can you tell Vaughn something for me?

“Mum you mean the guy sitting across the room who you could talk to yourself if you merely took a few dozen steps?”

“Pleeeeeease Eric”

“OK, what am I supposed to tell him?”

Sydney told him.

“Ok, but I don’t see why you can’t just tell him that yourself”.

Weiss walked over to Vaughn and repeated what Sydney had said.

Decoded the message said

“Do you know what it does to me when you have your sleeves rolled up, your tie loose, and you lean back in your chair and run your fingers through your hair?”

Vaughn grinned over at Sydney. He then in slow motion pushed his sleeves up, pulled his tie even looser, leaned back in his chair and slowly ran his fingers through his hair a few times.

Sydney shivered

“Hey Mike, is Sydney sick or something, she just shivered”.

Vaughn smirked

“ Oh no, she’s juuuuuuust fine”

End of Flashback

Vaughn took out a pad of paper and in code wrote

There’s something I need you to know

He handed it to Syd. she looked at it blankly for a seconded, then smiled slightly when she realized what he was doing. Her eyes grew panicked as she translated it.

Vaughn suddenly realized he had used the exact wording he had used in North Korea as a prelude to declaring his undying love.

“NO NOT THAT” he said out loud.

Syd looked somewhat mollified and began writing

What?

I’m leaving Lauren.
I told you I would not be the other woman. I will not have anything to do with ending your marriage.

I know That’s why I’m telling you this. It has nothing to do with you, HONESTLY! I would be making this decision even if you were not alive”

Tell me

Vaughn paused for a few minutes to collect his thoughts. He then spent the next hour writing. He basically poured out his history with Lauren to Sydney. How they had met, her wanting to talk about Sydney, the need, the loneliness. Finally he wrote about growing apart, before she had even returned. He admitted her return probably speeded up the process, but the end was inevitable. He didn’t even think Lauren would be that upset. He really didn’t think she loved him anymore either.

He paused again and wrote an ending.

Sydney, I’m not telling you this because I want you back right now, although my heart and soul are screaming for it. My heart just feels light for the first time in a long time, because I’m not trying to force it to love where it can’t with a person who can no longer return it. I couldn’t play married with you without you knowing, with you thinking I was only playacting until I could go back to my marriage with Lauren

I don’t want to rush into things I want to wait until everything is final. Then I want to woo you. I want to court you. I want to send you flowers, silly phone messages and come and pick you up in an old fashion carriage on a Sunday afternoon. I want to hold your hand and walk in the moonlight on the beach. I want to watch you laugh. I want to watch you dance. I want to feed you chocolate covered strawberries on a picnic in the park. And after all that, only then when I’ve driven the dark places from your eyes, when I have re earned you love and trust, I want to kiss you.

I will understand if you can’t, but will you wait a little longer for me?

He slowly handed the now lengthy message to Sydney. He could not stand to watch her read it. He leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes. It seemed like an eternity. He occasional herd her sigh, sniff huffily, snort a laugh, and sigh again. He didn’t realize he had been holding his breath until he felt the weight of the note pad in his lap. On it, written without code was one line

“I’ll wait as long as you need…BABY”

Vaughn laughed in sheer relief and joy.

“I’ll have to give a retribution rain check for the wrestling match on that Bristow. Be warned, I’ve been saving up”

Sydney crossed your arms and sniffed.

“In your dreams Vaughn”

Until now it only had been.

They spent the rest of the flight holding hands, content to talk and laugh together. They could wait for more. Right now all that mattered was that their hearts had begun to beat in rhythm again. They could handle anything… Couldn’t they?

sniff, I love Vaughn

^ Glad you like it!

Chapter 6:

School House Rock

“Welcome to Vancouver. Please remain in your seats until the plane has come to a complete stop and the fasten safety belt sign has been turned off”

Vaughn stretched his arms overhead and yawned. Their flight had been delayed for three hours and they had spent an extra hour in the air avoiding a thunderstorm. Other than being cramped from sitting for so long, Vaughn felt great. He would not have cared if they had stayed on the plane all night! He and Sydney had talked as they hadn’t in well…years. They had even fallen asleep together for an hour or so. So what if he could not longer turn his head without pain! He had woken up with Sydney’s head on his shoulder and his pillowed in her hair.

He loved the smell of Sydney’s hair. It smelled like…well, Syd’s hair! Not very poetic, but Sydney’s hair had its own unique fragrance.

Vaughn stood up to get their carry-on from the overhead bin. He jumped up and down lightly on the balls of his feet. He felt invigorated.

Wow! Expressing emotions wasn’t half bad.

Vaughn figured he had probably lost at least 3 forehead wrinkles.

OK, there was 1 more thing left to say, but those three words would have to wait. Until he and Lauren were officially divorced. Until he figured out what was missing in himself, apart from Sydney.

Vaughn had lost his edge and he wasn’t sure why. Sometimes he heard himself say things or saw himself do things as if in 3rd person that made him want to just slap himself upside the head. Maybe that’s where all the head banging came from! Sometimes he sounded down right whiny and tentative. What happened to the guy who didn’t even hesitate before slamming Sark’s head into a table?”

He would work that out. Right now he just wanted to enjoy being with Sydney again. Besides, it was time to be a professional. Time to focus on the mission. Luckily the mission involved being married to Sydney.

Not a bad gig.

He felt his good mood return as he pulled his bag out of the bin and tossed Sydney hers. If it wasn’t for the narrow aisle, he would be doing the Skippy Happy Dance out of the plane. Well…maybe not. Some things should stay a mystery in a relationship. Vaughn had a feeling the Skippy Happy Dance was one of those.

Vaughn and Sydney walked off the plane and met up with Jack, who had disembarked earlier. Vaughn was still in his exuberant mood and decided to see how far he could carry the relationship with his “father in law”. It was always a fine line with Jack. One step across the line and Jack could throw you across the room merely with an arch of one eyebrow.

“Dad, hey!” Vaughn threw an arm around Jack’s shoulders.

“How was first class? Did they give you those hot towels and the slippers?”

Jack began to arch his eyebrow ever so slightly. This was a different Vaughn than the one that had confronted him in the Rotunda. This was m ore than acting his cover. Jack wasn’t sure he liked what it meant

“Just fine Ben. You look happy. Indulge in a cocktail on the flight?”

“No, the only thing I indulged in was the glorious presence of your lovely daughter, my wife.”

Jack definitely did not like the look in Vaughn’s eye or Sydney’s for that matter.

Jack threw his arm around Vaughn’s shoulder. To an outside observer it looked like a loving yet manly gesture. In actuality, it felt like Jack was attempting to rearrange the cartilage in Vaughn’s rotator cuff.

“She is a wonder isn’t she?”

The topic of discussion decided it was time to provide an antidote to the testosterone poisoning before one of her men (yea! they were BOTH hers) got hurt.

Sydney stepped between the two, putting an arm around each of their waists.

“My two favorite guys. What more can a girl ask for? Let’s go see our new place!

Outside the airport, Vaughn and Syd hailed a cab while Jack climbed into a limo. Another one of those rank/privilege things.

Sydney was quiet in the cab. She had her head on Vaughn’s shoulder and their fingers were in twined. Sydney was playing with the Vaughn’s (NO BEN’S! IT WAS PART OF THE COVER!) wedding ring.

The revelations on the plane had kind of blindsided her. Everything she had wanted Vaughn to say when she let her imagination play in fantasy land he had said.

Vaughn was getting a divorce and not because of her.

He loved Sydney and wanted her back.

It was everything her heart and soul had reached for, but here was something that was keeping a lid on her joy.

It was no longer that Vaughn was married. The dissolution of his marriage would just take time. Sydney was secure in the knowledge that Vaughn had never really loved Lauren and that the affection between them had been waning even before Sydney’s return.

No, Vaughn’s marriage to Lauren was merely a speed bump.

Sydney wasn’t quite sure what the source of her hesitation was.

She sighed in frustration.

Vaughn looked at her with concern.

“Are you ok Jordan?”

Sydney smiled in return.

“Great Ben, we’re going to our first home together! I’m just thinking about where to put the furniture!”

Vaughn was pretty sure that wasn’t it, but he had to let it go…for now. He was a new convert to expressing emotions, but right now though, the mission came first. He squeezed her hand and turned watched the scenery out the window while keeping his fingers laced tightly with Sydney’s.

Sydney glanced at Vaughn out of the corner of her eye.

Vaughn had seemed different on the plane.

That was it. He had been acting like the Vaughn of old. The guy that would be her rock on a mission, dazzle a briefing room with his precision mind, then race back to her place, shed his conservative exterior and make her toes curl with passion. The guy who could make her laugh with stupid jokes about insects and calm her inner turmoil merely with the touch of his hand on the side of her face.

He had been her point guy.

That wasn’t the Vaughn who had picked her up in Hong Kong. The Vaughn she had seen for the past year was moody to the point of being surly.

Tentative, to the point of being ineffective.

He had always been serious at work, now he was morose.

He used to walk purposefully, now he stalked. Well, except for the Skippy Happy Dance the other day. Did he really think she hadn’t seen? He had SO wanted to do it on the plane; she had seen his feet twitch.

She would never ask this tentative morose Vaughn to break into the Vatican with her.

She probably wouldn’t even call him Vaughn.

She would most likely just call him Michael…like his wife did.

Hmm, from what she had surmised from everyone, all these negative Vaughn -centricities began manifesting themselves after he met Lauren.

He had shown signs of regaining his “inner point guy” recently. Slamming Sark’s head against the table in North Korea, defusing the bomb, apprehending Sark while injured. Although to hear Weiss tell it, Vaughn had apprehended Sark while fending off the entire Covenant army armed with automatic weapons, while he had only an igloo cooler and was squirting blood from a knife would like the knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Vaughn, the real Vaughn, her Vaughn was in there somewhere. She also sometimes felt as if she too was lost somewhere inside herself. Syd wasn’t sure they could really be together yet. They both had too many personal shadows. What happened when you put 2 shadows together?

You make a bigger shadow.

They both needed to find some light, alone.

“Way to go Bristow. Your soul mate reveals his soul is still mated to yours and you can’t even enjoy if for a little while before you analyze all of the complications!”

Fine, time to focus on the mission. The one where she is Jordan Shore a newlywed in love with her husband.

She smiled a genuine smile at Vaughn as they climbed out of the cab. The rest she would figure out later.

They met Jack outside the apartment and all went in together. The apartment was decorated in usual CIA style; efficient and dull. There were 2 bedrooms and a small den which they would use as command center. Jack put his luggage in one of the rooms. Sydney moved toward the other the other room, looked over her shoulder and grinned at Vaughn. Vaughn grinned back and moved to join her right as Jack came out of the first bedroom. Jack looked at Sydney, then at Vaughn. His eyebrow was cocked and ready.

“I think I’ll take the couch”

“Wise choice Agent Vaughn”

Sydney laughed and went to unpack.

Jack’s secure cell phone rang. Jack listened for a moment and hung up the phone.

“That was Marshall. There has been a change in plans. Sark is picking up an unidentified person tonight instead of tomorrow. We will not have time to go in as housekeeping. We will have to go on to the Beta Plan.

The Beta plan involved breaking in under cover of night. Because of their delayed flight, the sun was setting.

“Sark should be leaving in 1 hour. You two had better get changed. I will set up the com link and gather the chips.

Sydney went to the bedroom, while Vaughn changed in the bathroom. Sydney returned to the living room, just as Vaughn was opening the bathroom door.

When she had been a double agent and Vaughn had been her handler, Sydney had become very adept at the art of distraction while around Michael Vaughn. It was quite a skill really to be able to distract herself from nonprofessional thoughts while paying attention to whatever Vaughn was saying.

First she tried counting in Binary, but that was too easy and she would find random teenage crush comments creeping in such as:

“Oooooo he smiled at me
or
"like of my gosh his tie is loose and his hair is rumpled like OH MY GOSH”

Not exactly the kind of thoughts, not to mention the adolescent verbiage, one would usually connect with a dedicated espionage professional with a PhD in Literature.

She had tried reciting 80’s pop music (minus the mushy ballads) without success. Finally she had found School House Rock provided the best level of concentration.

She would have to review those lyrics again.

Vaughn walked out of the bathroom. He was dressed in full on Vaughnalicious Spy muffin wear.

Just because she didn’t say it out loud, didn’t mean she didn’t think it.

Since her return, Sydney had avoided looking at Vaughn as much as possible or she would focus on his left ear or right off his shoulder to avoid really seeing him. It was too painful. The pain was now receding after receiving a whooper dose of the painkiller called Vaughn, so she looked.

Vaughn was wearing a tight long sleeve black turtleneck and black cargo pants tucked into black boots. His hair had become rumpled after pulling the turtleneck over his head and he was absently running his fingers through it.

BAD IDEA WITH THE LOOKING!!!

“We the people, in order to form a more perfect union”

Ok, back under control.

Vaughn strapped on a low slung utility belt.

Sydney squeezed her eyes shut:

“Provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare and…

She was going to have to go back to focusing on his left ear. Except for the fact that she had always like to nibble on that ear.

Ok, she was a professional. This was a chance to catch destroy the Covenant and Sark.

Double Bonus!

That was enough of an incentive to focus, at least for now. With a now steely Bristow look in her eye she grabbed the gear and strode purposefully out the door with Vaughn right behind her.

Over the com link, Jack directed the two down back alleys to avoid pedestrians.
Vaughn and Sydney make their way to the alley behind Times Square after ensuring it was secure.

They stood next to each other and pulled out what resembled large guns from their utility belts. They were actually climbing lines attached to grappling hooks which could be propelled up to 100 feet in the air.

“I always feel like a super hero when we do this”

“Ready when you are Bat Man”

“Let’s do it Cat Woman”

They both shot their hooks which secured themselves neatly next to each other on the roof line.

“Wanna Race?”

Sydney grinned in return.

“On three. ONE-TWO-THREE”

They both hit the retraction button and shot upwards, pointing their toes for maximum aerodynamic advantage.

Despite the adrenaline rush of rocketing at top speed, Vaughn felt completely in sync. He had been flying emotionally since the plane, now he was flying physically as well. He felt as if he could keep flying up into the night and around the stars, pluck the brightest one and present it to Sydney on the palm of his hand.

All too soon the rocket ride ended and he and Sydney arrived at the top of the roof. Jack’s voice over the com link directed them to the point where they could access Sark’s suite. The balcony was situated approximately 15 feet below the roof line. Vaughn secured another lighter line and Sydney slid down to the balcony.

The Patio Style door was, of course, locked. A fire in a Vancouver High Rise a few years ago had lead to the mandatory installation of external locks, accessible to the fire department.

There were dozens of high tech gadgety ways to get in, but the security lock was the fastest and least invasive. Maybe not the stuff of spy novels, but it would get them in the door with minimal chance of anyone noticing. Unfortunately it had been installed at the bottom right hand corner up against the balcony rail and of course as this was Vancouver, it had begun to rain.

Sydney tried sitting

She tried lying on her stomach.

She tried lying on her side.

She tried laying on her other side.

“There is no way I’m going to be able to pick this lock unless I’m upside down. Hand me the sonic knife.”

She looked up at Vaughn, extending her hand.

“I’ll get it”.

Vaughn was hanging ½ ways down the line.

“What do you mean?”

“Stand aside citizen” Vaughn said in a deep theatrical voice.

Sydney rolled her eyes at his continued super hero obsession and stepped back.

Vaughn slowly began to defy gravity. With his body ramrod straight, he slowly rotated himself until he was poised on the line head down, arms extended overhead to pick the lock. supported solely by his musculature.

“THUD”

That was the sound of Sydney’s jaw dropping to the floor. Her eyes traveled from his pointed toes (he was always the stickler for form) to his nimble fingers picking the lock. His ankles were flexing and extending as he worked, revealing a knife strapped to his ankle.

The Knife from Nice.

He and Sydney were both soaked with rain by now. Vaughn’s Cargo pants were completely wet, as was his shirt, illustrating every taunt muscle. The strength that maneuver took was just astounding.

Vaughn wasn’t holding on to anything. He was totally supported by his muscles: abs, lats, gluts, calves, hamstring, delts, tricepts, pecs, all working in synchronicity to hold himself in place.

Not even ‘Conjunction Junction” would save her now.

Vaughn slid the lock open and slowly (SHOW OFF) rotated himself like the hand of a clock, until he was completely upright, and then lowered himself to the balcony next to Sydney.

“How in the world did you……”

She wanted to ask how he had honed each muscle to synchronistic perfection, but her vocal chords seemed to be frozen.

Vaughn looked at her straight in the eye with a poker face eerily reminiscent of her father.

“Pilates”

He then grinned and slid open the balcony door.

Sydney shook her head. The image of a dripping wet Vaughn with taunt muscles would get her through lonely nights for quite awhile.

They both slid off their shoes as to not track across the floor in their wet shoes. It wouldn’t take a super spy like Sark to figure out someone had been in the suite if they tracked mud across the floor.

The balcony opened into the living room. There was a fire place, TV and Stereo to the left of the balcony door. Vaughn and Sydney started working on placing Marshals chips. Vaughn noticed a washer and dryer set adjacent to the bathroom.

“Hey this is great! We will have a clean view of the living room, dining room and the bedroom door. “

He moved to the washer and dryer.

Sydney made her way into the bedroom.

A moment later Vaughn raced into the bedroom as Sydney let out a muffled shriek.

alrighty, I'm done. Only, 27 replies with over three hundred views. Glad you have enjoyed it, those who are reading, but this is kinda depressing. If you want the rest, you can head over to SD-1.

Because I'm a sucker and Nadia Santos Fan asked. Here is goes.

Chapter 7

Unmentionables

Vaughn did not even remember crossing the room. With his heart in his throat, Vaughn dove through the bedroom door. He hit the floor and rolled with his gun drawn in a move that would have made his Spy 101 instructor proud. His only thought was

“I WILL NOT LOOSE HER AGAIN!”

Sydney was standing in front of a dresser, completely intact.

She whirled, also with gun drawn, as Vaughn hit the floor.

Simultaneously

Sydney “What the…”

Vaughn “What the…”

Simultaneously

Sydney “What do you mean what?”

Vaughn “What do you mean what?”

“What do you mean what do I mean what? You dive in here with guns blazing like this is the OK Coral and you ask me what? I almost shot you!”

“YOU SCREAMED”

“I never scream!”

“Ok, fine you vocalized in a loud fear producing voice”

Sydney looked startled than blushed.

“Well, I found Sark’s PDA. He must have forgotten it”

Vaughn noticed the device for the first time in her hand.

“That made you shriek?”

“No that made me inwardly gloat”

“Then I opened this drawer and it just kind of slipped out”

Vaughn put his gun in his holster and walked across the room to look in the drawer.

Sydney: “Sark is so obsessive compulsive, he color coordinates his underwear!”

“This is what made you shriek?”

“No, that made me snort”

“This made me shriek”

Vaughn looked closely where Sydney was pointing and gave a yelp of surprise as he noted the embroidery on each pair of silk boxers.

“Sark has days of the week underwear!”

“See, it made you shriek!”

“No, actually, it was more of a yelp.”

Vaughn put his hands on his hips and looked at Sydney.

“Hey, why were you going through Sark’s underwear drawer anyway?”

Sydney snorted as she closed the drawer.

“Sydney, we better get going. We need to complete the set up and we’re not exactly being professional here!”

“I know. If I had acted like this on my first mission, Noah would have kicked my butt!”

“Why did Noah wear briefs?”

Sydney laughed and lightly punched Vaughn on the arm. She started to install a micro chip in the alarm clock on the dresser.

Vaughn put his hand over his eyes.

“Great, now you’ve reminded me of the existence of guys you slept with after I met you. My good mood is shot. Whatever you do, do not mention Will Tippin or his underwear or I might have to start banging my head against something again”

“Will didn’t wear underwear”

Vaughn turned to the dresser and banged his fore head against it. He picked up Sark’s PDA which was, of course, a top of the line Zaurus SL.

“I have an idea”

Vaughn turned on his comm. unit.

“Base, this is Boy Scout. I need clarification if our device can be utilized in a PDA”

“One moment Boy Scout, I’ll check.”

Vaughn and Sydney completed the installation in the bedroom while they waited for Jack’s response. Sydney glanced at the bathroom door.

“Should we put some in there? I think there is a radio.”

Vaughn shuddered slightly.

“Not sure if I want to see that no matter what information we get! I think we have enough out here.”

Sydney nodded.

“Base to Boy Scout”

“Here base”

“Affirmative on the PDA”

“Thanks base, we’re wrapping up. Will contact when clear.”

What Jack did not say about the exchange he had with Marshall.

Jack turned off his comm. unit and picked up his secure cell. He keyed in Marshall’s direct line at JTF.

“Marshall, I need to know if Sydney and Vaughn can install one of the microchips in Sark’s PDA and if we will be able to access any information with it.

“Wow actually that is pretty cool…how it works, not that Sark has a PDA. I mean everyone has a PDA you know. I even got Mitchell a Little Tykes version to chew on. So with this how it works is…”

“Marshall, just give me a yes or no”

For years, from SD 6 to the CIA Marshall had suffered the looks, the eye rolls and the impatience of his colleagues. He had kept a lid on his feelings, but now the combination of sleep deprivation and massive doses of caffeine lowered his resistance and the lid had come flying off!”

“Right Jack, of course. I mean far be it from me to impose my knowledge on ACTUAL agents. Do you know how sick I am of listening to all the boasting around the water cooler about how fast you all can defuse a bomb? As if you all had inkling how to do it without me”

“Day after day I attempt to enlighten you on how all of your ‘gadgets’ work so that you might have a CLUE if something goes wrong in the field, but do any of you even care? NO!”

“Do any of you think ‘I think I will pay attention just because this interests my good friend Marshall who does so much work for me…NO!”

“Do any of you even know anything about me?”

Do you happen to know I have 4 PhDs? Bet you didn’t know that! I had 2 before I was even 20! I have a PhD in Mathematics, Electrical AND Mechanical Engineering and one in Medieval poetry!”

“Do you care about that at all? No, so let me put it into words you can understand Jack.”

“Yes, you can plug the thingy into the whatchamacallit and it will put lots of fun stuff onto your computer screen.”

“Is that it Jack?” Marshall waits a heart beat.

“No, well good I have to go back to doodling and playing with my Star Trek action figures which I am sure is all you people think I do.”

Marshall slams down the phone.

Jack stares at his phone.

Marshall stares at his phone.

“What have I done?”

All the color drained from Marshall’s face as he realized he had just let lose all of his pent up emotions at Jack Bristow, one of the most feared men in the universe. He looked over at the picture on his desk of Carrie and Mitchell and began to compose a goodbye letter to them for when Jack killed him.

What Marshal did not realize was that he had just been initiated into the very exclusive club of persons who had rendered Jack Bristow speechless. The only other member of the club was Jack Bristow’s wife. In both of her incarnations, actually.

As Jack waited for a word from Sydney or Vaughn, he found his mind going on a drive down a road he rarely allowed himself to travel.

Memory Lane

There were certain memories of Laura that he rarely let himself dwell on. It was his way of keeping these memories of Laura without Irina clouding them with uncertainty.

One of his most precious memories of his marriage was one in which Laura had rendered him speechless when she had not even been home.

Flashback

Laura had just left for a conference.

(This was why he did not let himself dwell on these memories. Did Laura go to a conference or did Irina go meet with her KGB Handler?)

Jack had a long frustrating awful terrible day. Laura had called him before she left. He didn’t tell her anything, but she knew just by the sound of his voice. All he wanted to do now was go home, have some of Laura’s homemade chili and corn bread, a glass of wine, a hot shower, put on his most comfortable sleep clothes on and curl up in bed with his wife.

Was that too much to ask? Unfortunately, it was too much to ask. His wife was out of town.

Jack pulled into the driveway and trudged into the house. His head lifted as he smelled something coming from the kitchen.

Could it be?

He went into the kitchen with a much springier step than his earlier trudge. On the counter was the crock pot. The kitchen was filled with the aroma of Laura’s home made chili which was emanating from the crock pot. Propped against it was an index card with the imprint of Laura’s kiss in her favorite lipstick. There was also a lipstick imprinted note taped to the oven. Jack opened the oven and almost leaped with joy.

CORNBREAD!

Jack turned toward the table. It was set and there was a bottle of wine in a wine chiller next to his chair. A classical radio station was tuned in on the kitchen radio. With a small sigh, Jack dished up some chili and cornbread, poured some wine and sat down to enjoy his dinner. He felt like the most loved husband in the world.

After his dinner, Jack put his dishes in the sink and headed toward the stairs. There were lipstick notes all the way up the stairs and into the bathroom. He pulled aside the shower curtain and laughed.
There were no “traditional” roles in their marriage. They both pretty much did equal amounts of household chores, with one exception. The bathtub. They both despised cleaning the grout. They both thought the other should do it. Being the two most stubborn people on the planet, months could go by in a moldy stalemate. As much as Jack wanted a shower, he was not looking forward sharing his shower with other life forms.

The shower was almost blinding it was so clean. Laura must have scrubbed the grout with a tooth brush. On the shower wall in lipstick was a large heart with “Laura loves Jack” scrawled inside.

Jack was going to try and never wash that heart off.

He enjoyed the warmth of the shower, letting the hot needles of water pummel the knots in his neck. The only fly in this ointment was that it had been his turn to do the laundry, which he had not had time to do as of yet. That meant his favorite sleep clothes were unavailable. Oh well, he certainly would not let that ruin his night.

Jack stepped out of the shower and slung the towel around his hips. He dried his hair with another towel and looked at himself in the mirror. He flexed his muscles at his reflection as only men who know no one is looking can do. Not bad he thought. He was still as in shape as he was while playing college football.

Jack glanced down and once again felt like the most loved husband in the world. There, neatly folded on the counter was his favorite pair of flannel pajama bottoms and his favorite Green Bay Packer shirt. It was large, even for Jack and had been worn to an unparalleled softness. It was his favorite thing to sleep in. It was also Laura’s favorite thing to sleep in. They often had battles over who would get to wear the shirt. It usually involved who had cleaned the bathtub grout last. There had been one memorable occasion when they had both worn it at the same time. As he pulled it on he inhaled its smell. It smelled like Laura’s perfume as if she had worn it all day so that it would remind him of her.

The residue of Jack’s day had almost completely been washed away by the love of his wife. The only thing he knew she could not do was be there in bed with him. He turned on the light as he entered the bedroom. He wasn’t quite sure what he was looking at. He walked over to the bed. Propped on his pillow was a stuffed duck? It was one of those pillow pals for kids with a duck head, wings and webbed feet. On it’s stomach, written in permanent black marker was “Laura’s sub” and once again a lipstick imprint. Jack climbed into bed, pulled up the covers, hugged the duck close, and went to sleep.

End of flashback

Jack sighed. He had slept with that stupid duck pillow every night after Laura “died” until the day he found out the truth. He had never thrown it away though. It was one of those things that both gave him hope and kept him emotionally stifled. How was that stupid stuffed pillow not an act of love? He somehow doubted that in KGB training, Irina's instructor had said “It is imperative to your mission that if you must leave your target overnight you must leave behind a stuffed toy. We have found stuffed fowl to be the most effective”.

Jack suddenly thought of something. He rarely allowed himself to sift through these precious memories so he had never realized that something had been missing ever since Laura had disappeared.

Jack went to his computer and inserted a specially formatted Wireless adapter that continually scrambled messages in a rotating pattern. He logged in and sent an IM to Irina.

“Hey, did you take my Packer shirt?”

Ok guys, I would appreciate some responses, even just a quick word or two!

Oh man that was hilarious. :D
she shrieked because of Sark's underware. . .
Geez. . That was so funny i honestly doubled over with laughter lol

I loved the way Marshall told Jack off.
Its about time someone thinks twice before shutting him down like he always does get. :angry:

The flashback was amazing.
It had me drooling. . .Honestly have you written and Jack/Irina fics before?
Because i now have a sudden urge to read a J/I fic! Preferably by you. :blush:

Thank you so much for the great update!
Please please please update soon!
I really love this fic!

Zoe

^ It is complete over at sd-1, but Zoe, has convinced me to keep posting it here so here is the next installment! I will try very hard to post it every day or two.

I like the chap alot. I've never been a huge Jack/Irina shipper, but I enjoyed writing this and kind of getting into their relationship a bit.

As you know, I love feedback :blush:

Chapter 8

Vaughn completed the microchip installation in Sark’s PDA. He and Sydney were about to do a final check when Jack’s urgent voice came over the comm.

“Boy Scout, Mountaineer, Target had just entered the building. You need to get out now.”

Sydney and Vaughn sprinted out of the door and slid into their shoes. Unfortunately there was no time to secure the lock. Vaughn quickly shimmied up the rope with Sydney close behind. They may be in a hurry, but there was still time for Sydney to admire a shimming Vaughn as she climbed after him.

Once on the roof Vaughn opened his comm.

“Boy Scout to base. We are on the roof. Could you identify the second target?”

“Negative Boy Scout. Target is identified as female, but there an umbrella was obscuring her from sight.

Vaughn sighed

“We’re heading to base”

“Affirmative boy scout.

Sydney and Vaughn made there way across the roof with the quiet grace of two dancers in complete awareness of each others movements at all times. At the edge of the roof they paused to confirm that the alley was empty.

As they were about to descend, Jack’s voice came in over the com

“We have a problem Boy Scout.”

“It seems two of the microchips are on the same frequency. As a result we are unable to receive transmissions on all frequencies. One of the doubles MUST be reset to another frequency.”

Vaughn groaned

“Do we know which ones?”

“Affirmative, code 621722 has been doubled”

Vaughn sighed and rubbed his forehead.

“Understood. Going radio silent until done and clear”

“Be Safe Boy Scout, Mountaineer”

“Always Base”

Vaughn looked at Sydney and grimaced.

“Rats”

Sydney looked at him quizzically.

“Excuse me, rats?”

“Yea, I read a quote from Charles Shultz when he said he found ‘rats’ and ‘good grief’ covered just about everything.”

Vaughn stretched his arms over his head and Sydney heard his shoulders pop. It was raining steadily now and they were both drenched to the bone.

“I’ll go. It’s the chip I was working on in the washing machine when you screamed. I forgot which frequency I set it too and I set the one in the bedroom clock on the same frequency”

“Good Grief”

“See it does cover everything”

Sydney grinned and began to check her equipment.

“No, I’ll go. It’s my fault I distracted you with my LOUD VOCALIZATION”

“Oh yea right, I forgot you don’t scream. I’ll go.”

“Nope, it’s my turn. I am fully capable of taking care of myself as you well know. Stop being condescending and trying to protect me. You know it drives me insane”

Sydney smiled to take the sting from her words.

“Besides, I’m stealthier than you”

“Stealthier? I’m not sure that’s a word”

“Doesn’t mean I’m not better at it than you.

Sydney was right. There were actually only 2 people who could beat Vaughn in stealth. Sydney and surprisingly enough Weiss. Eric was like a big predatory cat. Weiss always attributed it to all the sneaking out of girls’ dorms in college, but it was more than that. Weiss seemed to have this innate grace or sneakiness’. Graceful sneakiness that was it.

“Ok, you’re right”

Sydney looked startled and gave an exaggerated gasp and covered her mouth, wide eyed.

“Shut up Bozo, just be careful”

HE JUST CALLED HER BOZO!

“Always Pizza Boy, always”

They stood for a moment foreheads and souls touching.

“I had better get going. I’ll be radio silent”

Vaughn looked concerned but swallowed the advice he was about to give.

Who said you couldn’t teach an old dog new tricks!

Vaughn watched her repel over the side of the building. She firmly planted her feet and pushed off every few feet.

Vaughn loved watching her move. Forget fragile women. He would take one with power and grace. THIS particular one with power and grace. Sydney could manage to make rappelling look sexy.

Sydney land without a sound (she was GOOD) on the balcony.

Vaughn positioned himself near the edge of the roof out of site, but close enough to come to Sydney’s aid if he needed to.

This was actually the first time, other than changing clothes, that he and Sydney had been separated since their reconnection on the plane.

He decided to use this time to figure out what he was going to say to Lauren. She didn’t deserve to be hurt, but neither did she deserve to live a lie. Neither did he. He was sure once she thought about it she would agree.

But what to say?

“Lauren, this isn’t working…”

Somewhere in Russia

Irina Direvco paused to blow on her hot coffee as she gazed out her kitchen window into the forest beyond.

She loved this house. It was more of a cottage really, that had been updated over the years. Her great grandfather had built it as a hunting lodge and the family had managed not only to keep it, but turn it into a cozy retreat even with the tumult of wars and the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Some of her favorite childhood memories were in this cottage. It was no wonder she had chosen the cottage for her Fugitive Home once again. It was the only place she had ever felt safe.

Irina turned form the window sipping her coffee. The sunlight reflected off a small picture frame on the mantel. She walked over to the picture and caressed the frame lovingly as if she was caressing the actual faces of the persons in the picture.

It was a Bristow Family Photo of the 3 of them in India. Jack was wearing that horrible linen suit. Sydney looked bored, twirling her blond curls around her finger while snapping gum. Irina herself was vapidly grinning while fingering her explosive necklace. A street vendor had snapped it while they were at customs in India. They had no choice but to buy it.

Irina smiled at the frame. They looked ridicules. For the Bristow’s, it was the equivalent of dressing up in one of those photo places at the amusement part. They looked absolutely ridicules. It was one of her most treasured possessions.

She had been dumbfounded when Jack had slipped it to her as she was reentering the cell. He had spent the entire mission ignoring her, distrusting her, keeping her cooped up in baskets. Then he had gone and given her something so precious.

Irina shook her head. Her relationship with Jack was more than she had ever hoped for and far less than her dreams. Sydney’s disappearance had brought them together. All else could be kept in dark shadows that surrounded them. They trusted each other to find their daughter.

How she missed that man.

He had been her pillow, her sparring partner, her rock, her equal in intellect and passion. The KGB had made a big mistake assigning her to Jack Bristow. The Russian government had essentially introduced her heart to its mate.

She had been trained in loyalty to country above all else. That America was evil and was out to destroy their entire way of life if they were not stopped. Woven through out was the myth of Rambaldi, which she had heard all of her life and was now conditioned that Rambaldi would realize communism throughout the world. She had been an idealist.

She had been told her target would be stupid, lazy, loud, overbearing, and most likely overweight.

Instead he had been…Jack Bristow.

As her feelings for Jack grew, her job became more and more difficult. Her KGB handler began sending her away on “literary conferences” which were really mini reconditioning sessions. She would go home with renewed distain for America and Jack, until she looked into his eyes. She had even managed to convince her handler that Sydney’s birth would give her even more trust with her target. Target. She was never to refer to him by name, he was “Target”.

Irina was not sure how long she would have lasted had she not overheard Arvin Sloane mention the name “Rambaldi”

Irina sighed.

Many things would have been different , for good and bad, if she had never overheard that conversation.

But, she had.

Irina had grown up with the myth of Rambaldi and later had been conditioned to believe Rambaldi held the key to the deliverance of her homeland. After becoming involved with Slone she began to believe in the reality of Rambaldi. It was as if one suddenly discovered that Apollo was real and that you and your daughter were a part of his plan. After learning of the prophesy, she chose a path that she could not abandon. Did she have a choice?

Sydney and Jack, her family, had almost been her undoing. Her maternal connection to Sydney was more than she had ever expected. Irina and Jack had always been able to sense each other’s moods, an echo she saw in Sydney and Agent Vaughn,

Flashback

Irina had returned home one night despondent, sick to the core of her soul. For months her handler had been pressuring her to complete an assignment. She had stalled and stalled. He had finally pulled out the duty, love of country, hate of America card, then had informed her if she did not comply she would be extracted and the safety of her family would be in jeopardy.

She had walked into their home, for that was what she now thought of it, and sank into the sofa, head in hands when Jack had come in.

He had asked her what was wrong. She mumbled something about work and harsh words of the department director.

Jack asked if she wanted some wine.

She nodded.

Jack went out of the room. He came back a while later. Much later than it really took to pour a glass of wine, but she was too tired to really contemplate why.

Jack handed her a glass of wine and cleared his throat loudly. He was standing in the doorway with a roll of paper towel held out in front of him like a roll of parchment.

“Our poetry recitation this evening will be by the renowned poet Jack Bristow. The poem is entitled ‘My Wife”

“Ahem” He cleared his voice once again.

“Laura, Laura “Laura, Laura

I couldn’t love you any mora

Your smile can make me melt

You make me feel as I never before have felt.

Your chili turns me to butter.

It’s you I love and no utter.

Come over here

Let me breathe softly in your ear

Take you to bed

Make love to you

Let you lose all of your fears”

Jack took a large florid bow.

Irina could not handle the love she felt form this man. She put her head in her hands once again and sobbed silently.

Jack knelt down in front of her and pulled her hands away form her face. He asked no questions (how unlike the Jack of today, another thing she had taken from him). He kissed her gently, breathed softly in her ear, and carried her up to bed.

Jack had no way of knowing, other than her confession, that there was no way he could erase her fears. Her fear of what she had just done or what would happen to look in Jack’s eyes when he found out.

The mission she had just completed had been the assassination of William Vaughn.

End of Flashback

Irina sighed and touched the frame again.

So many choices.

So much pain.

The pain she had seen in William Vaughn’s son’s eyes. How ironic that it wild be her daughter that would dissolve that pain, albeit replace it with another.

Irina knew the same pain had been in her own eyes when she had “died”. Yes, she had chosen to leave. Her Handler had seen the warning signs and had pulled Irina before she had completely become Laura Bristow. Irina knew if that had happened her family would be dead, all she had been taught and for some reason had still believed in would be damaged. Under all of that was Rambaldi and Irina’s and her daughter’s connection. As Irina Drievco she could search as Laura Bristow could never do.

And so she plunged into icy waters on a rainy night.

When she arrived at the contact point there was not one yet there. Irina sat back against a tree and wept.

She wept for love she would never feel

For the arms of a dimpled little girl around her neck

Fro strip poker after Sydney was in bed

For the look in Jack’s eyes when she wore that red dress.

For the look in her eyes when Jack wore a black turtleneck.

For Saturday morning pancakes and picnics in the park

For bad poetry, cornbread, and duck pillows.

So she grieved until she heard her contact’s signal.

As she stood up, she felt the final pain as Laura Bristow died and Irina Derives strode purposefully toward the future.

Irina allowed a single tear to course down her face. She had been hugging the picture tightly to her chest. She loosened her grip, kissed Jack and Sydney one more time and gently placed the picture back on the mantle.

Irina looked around the room again. Jack had come to her here, despite the repercussions. They had been brought hack together for a common parental goal. Saving one’s child transcended all other allegiances.

Flashback

Jack had stood awkwardly with his hands in his pockets. He had no idea where he was. Irina’s henchmen, well colleagues, they were on the same side for the moment, had brought him in blindfolded.

He and Irina had exchanged pleasantries and it seemed they would never be able to attain some common ground unless one of them made the first move. Irina turned.

“It’s been a long day, you should have something to eat”

Jack nodded wearily and followed Irina into the kitchen . He put his hand on a chair by the table. Before he could sit down he froze. Irina had had walled to the stove and lifted the lid to stir the contents. Jack was paralyzed by the smell emanating form the pot.

Laura’s chili.

The Bristow family remedy for a bad day, when a celebration was needed, or when some weightily matter needed to be dealt with.

Irina glanced back and was stunned. The man she saw was not the AGENT Bristow she had first seen from her cell in CIA custody. No, this was Jack Bristow, the man she thought had ceased to exist after learning their marriage was an assignment. That Jack had not been extinguished as everyone thought. He was hidden deep down inside where no one could see or cause pain. Irina could see the various emotions fighting for prominence: incredulity, love, longing, passion, fear, and pain all revolving like a Merry-Go-Round.

Jack felt as if his legs were completely incapable of supporting his weight. He slowly sank into the chair he had been holding.

Irina moved behind the chair, wrapped her arms around Jack. She pressed herself against Jack’s back and rested her chin on top of Jack’s head. She said softly

“Our daughter is missing Jack. We must have strength to find Sydney. We needed chili. I needed to make chili.”

Jack nodded and put his hands on top of Laura’s holding them tight to his chest. He and Irina stayed motionless for a few moments.

Jack took a deep inward breath and let it out slowly. Irina felt the shift as her husband was put back in a box and pushed deep down into Agent Bristow.

“Well, I certainly hope there is cornbread”

End of flashback

Irina looked at the picture one last time. She wished just once she and Jack could sit down together with nothing but honestly between them.

But that was not to be. Iran dusted off her hands as if she were trying to dust off all of her regrets. She squared her shoulders and strode purposefully across the kitchen to put her cup in the sink.

There was no time for regrets or what might have beens. She still had secrets to protect. Secrets she was not sure Jack could forgive.

Speaking of Jack, she had not herd for him in weeks. Irina sat down at her computer and logged on. Shed smiled slightly, almost in spite of herself, when she saw a waiting message from Jack.

She opened the message, read its’ contents and looked down at what she was wearing.

BUSTED

Sydney poised herself on the balcony, listening intently for any sound form the apartment within. She heard some muffled sounds, but hey were too far away to be coming form the main area. She slowly looked around the corner and in through the balcony door. She now had a clear view of the living room, dining room, and kitchen areas. Sydney could see no one. As she scanned to the left, she saw the bedroom door was open. There was a light visible and a shadow passing across briefly obscuring the light.

Sydney crinkled her nose and contemplated the best course of action. No matter which way she went, at some point she would be in view of that open bedroom door.

She heard voices. Sark’s voice was clearly audible, but the woman’s voice was too soft to pick out what she was saying so Sydney only heard one side of the conversation.
Woman’s voice murmuring

Sark replied “My aren’t we anxious love. It’s to be expected. You’ve been stuck with your husband for weeks. How sad for both of you”.

Murmured reply

Sark “You will have to be more inventive than that if you are planning on keeping me awake”.

Yuck!

Sark had such a way with words.

Sydney scanned the room again. If she went along the top of the couch, she could avoid the chance of being seen. She slid into the room and along the wall. Sydney nimbly leapt onto the couch and made her way across the top like a cat along the top of a fence. She made her way to the washer and dryer and accessed the microchip as she heard more sounds than she ever wanted to hear coming from the bedroom.

Sydney heard a sharp intake of breath and Sark’s voice rough, but still sarcastic.

“Well that’s a bit more interesting, I’m sure if you ever did that to your husband you would scare him into a coma”.

There was a low chuckle from his partner and a voice still to low to hear, not that Sydney wanted to. Right now she just wanted to cover her ears like a four year old and yell “la la la la I can’t hear you”. That would make reprogramming the microchip difficult and probably alert Sark to her presence. She instead quickly completed installing the new code.

The noises from the bedroom were becoming more frantic. Sydney timed her steps across with the rhythmic squeaking of the bed springs and quietly slid the door shut behind her.

Ok. Sydney had undergone tortures of every kind, but she would gladly go though most of them again to never listen to “mating” Sark again. Well, maybe that wasn’t quite true. Sydney really did not want to loose any more teeth. She tried to think of something other than torture that had been that…icky. The only thing she could think of was the time she WALKED IN ON her parents.

Laura had been wearing spiked heels, black sheer hoes and garters. Nothing else. Jack had been wearing solely his shoulder holster (it struck her as odd that she had never wondered why her dad had been wearing a gun). On second thought that was worse. At least with Sark she hadn’t had a visual.

Sydney shimmied up the rope to her anxiously awaiting partner. She nodded and the two quietly and rapidly pulled up the line, crossed the roof and rappelled down the other side. They each secured their lines back on their respective utility belts.

Vaughn looked over at Sydney.

“Did something happen in the apartment. You have a strange look on your face”

Sydney shivered and made a face.

“I had to do the entire mission while listening to Sark DOING IT with his partner. I could hear them smooching and YUCK!

Sydney sounded like a kid who just heard that boys and girls like to kiss.

“I think it might have turned me off of kissing for good!”

Vaughn turned to her with a look of horror. His looked changed and he met her eyes.

This was not he look she was used to. This was not the “I’msuchaloserIdidn’twaitandmarriedwhat’shernameIwantyoubutIcan’thaveyoulook”

It wasn’t even the pre fall of SD6 Ican’tthinkindebriefbecauseIwanttokissyoulook.

Nope

This was the “you have an oven you can reheat point guy look”.

He was standing right in front of her. It had finally stopped raining and the heat from Vaughn’s body was causing the moisture of his wet clothes to evaporate and condense in the cool air.

He was literally smoking.

Vaughn pulled her to him, bent his head and kissed her breathless.

They stood lips and hands intertwined with the steam from their drying clothes puffing up between them. It was like the mists of Brigadoon. Sydney almost wished it was so she and Vaughn would disappear together for a thousand years. But it wasn’t Brigadoon. It was Vancouver.

Sydney pulled away just enough to look Vaughn in the eye while still not breaking the contact of the rest of their bodies.

“What happened to will you wait for me a little while longer”?

“I guess the wait wasn’t as long as I thought”

“Oh really, did you happen to have a conversation with SOMEONE while you were waiting on that roof?

“In my head”

Sydney pushed him away playfully, and then pulled him back to her as if the loss of contact was painful.

“That doesn’t count”

Vaughn sighed regretfully.

“I know”

Sydney tilted her head sideways and crinkled her eyes as if in deep though which she was.

“You know it’s not just you moving on or your marriage. It’s me too. After Hong Kong my mind was like a broken vase with sharp strands of glass.”

“Everything was so different I couldn’t even handle it at first. It was like I was in shock, which I guess I was. It seemed like I would adjust to one thing then another change would surface and I would have to start all over. It got to the point that I would fall apart at the smallest things. They changed the ingredients of my favorite Chinese take out dish while I was gone and I though the world was ending.”

“For the longest time I revolved all of my problems around the fact that you had moved on and if you had waited and were free, we would have just picked up where we had left off.”

“After finding out the name of the man I killed for the Covenant, I realized is was so much more complex. I have all of these emotions about the things I did as Julia Thorne. On top of that I have all of this guilt, anger, and frustration about erasing my memories. It’s this cacophony of dissonant feelings. I HAVE to make some sense out of it before I can have a healthy relationship. I want you to be there, but Vaughn, I can’t do it WITH YOU”.

Vaughn nodded and looked down at his shoes.

With that now all too familiar gesture Sydney inwardly sighed. Morose Vaughn, LAUREN’S Vaughn was back.

“Well in that case” Vaughn said dejectedly.

Vaughn suddenly looked up with a gleam in his eye. He stepped back quickly and let go of Sydney’s hands.

“Spy Race”

Vaughn took off down the alley yelling back over his shoulder

“Last one to base has to kiss Sark”
Sydney was shocked for a moment than was after him. They made their way through the obstacle course of back alleys, exchanging the lead a number of times.

As they rounded the corner and saw their base apartment, Vaughn was a few strides ahead. Sydney suddenly let out a loud gasp and fell to the ground clutching her ankle. Vaughn turned around, jogging backwards. When he saw Sydney on the ground, clutching her ankle and rocking with pain, Vaughn ran towards her with his forehead wrinkled with concern.

“Syd, are you ok”?

He bent down and put a hand on her shoulder.

Sydney looked up with tears in her eyes.

“I’m not sure”

When Vaughn bent down even closer the tears in Sydney’s eyes turned to an evil gleam. She grabbed Vaughn’s arms and pulled him sprawling to the ground while simultaneously using the leverage to propel herself to her feet. She was up and running in a split second. Now it was her turn to look over her shoulder and taunt Vaughn.

She made kissy noises at him

“Better practice for Sark”!

Vaughn was up and after her in a heartbeat. He closed the gap and they both stretched and touched the door at the same time.

“Hey, you cheated!”

“No way! You said Spy Race. That means spy rules, which most definitely includes deception!”

Vaughn laughed.

“Well, at least no one has to kiss Sark”

Sydney and Vaughn stood facing each other, their breathing beginning to return to normal. Vaughn smiled and tucked a stray strand of hair behind Sydney’s ear.

“You know this might just work. I’ll work on my stuff.”

Sydney lightly ran her finger down the cleft in Vaughn’s chin.

“And I’ll work on my stuff”

Vaughn placed a gentle kiss on the tip of her nose.

“When we both have our respective stuff in order...”

Vaughn paused, grabbed Sydney’s hands, placed them over his heart and covered them with his own.

“We’ll meet each other in Santa Barbara.”

Maybe he hadn’t quite canceled his belief in fairytales after all.

Jack looked up from the monitors as Sydney and Vaughn came through the door. He frowned at the sight of the two of them flushed and smiling. Jack thought he had made himself perfectly clear. He would need to have another talk with AGENT Vaughn.

“I trust you were successful in reformatting the chip”

Sydney rushed quickly over to view the monitors, which were filled with static”

“What happened?”

“A minor glitch. Our highly competent good friend Marshall assures me it will be fixed soon”

Both Sydney and Vaughn looked quizzically at Jack. Vaughn went to the kitchen and grabbed 2 juices and a bag of chips, while Sydney sat next to Jack.

“Good, believe me you did not want a visual on what I was hearing.”

Vaughn headed over to the couch and put his feet his feet up. He handed a juice to Sydney and opened the chips.

Jack raised his ever ready eyebrow.

“Agent Vaughn, this is not a hockey game.”

Vaughn put his feet down, but handed the open bag to Jack who took a handful of chips. They became glued to the screen as the image became clear on the screen. The bedroom monitors showed Sark lounging against the headboard. His partner was not visible. The audio was clear and they heard Sark say

“So, have you finally erased the memory of your husband?”

The bathroom door opened and its occupant stepped into the clear view of the monitors.

omg that was sooo good!!!
loved that poem that jack said... so funny. :lol:
hahaha, syd tricked vaughn to win the race...
thanks so much for the pm.
please update again soon.

~Kay ^_^

Eek! Lauren stepped out!!!
Will they see her?!
Oh man. . I so wanna head over to Sd-1 and read what happens next but i wanted to read it here. . .
Im so dying to see what happens next!
And i so luurved the Jack and Irina scene. . .
And Jack with just a holster? :lol:

I also love the bond between Syd and Vaughn. . Its so great and unique.

I cant wait to see what happens next. . .
Or more appropriately what will happen to Vaughn's chips and soda party. :D

Back