Redemption

The readers over here are going to love the journey you take them on.

Just you wait people. This ride is just beginning.

Awww thanks for the reccomendation! I'm glad you still remember this!

Nadia, yes it is over at sd-1 and complete, but isn't it more fun this way? :P . I promise to update every day or two unless life traps me under something heavy...

Chapter 9: Revelations

Lauren Reed stood in the shower and let the water flow over her back. She felt exhilarated. She felt powerful. She soaped her hair and stretched like a cat, the self satisfied smile of a cat on her face. Lauren had been a little nervous regarding her recent exchanges with her husband, but she was confident she was playing her cards right. The man was so predictable. A little jealousy on her part and he would feel the need to prove Sydney meant nothing to him.

Lauren reviewed her accomplishments. She was now the Co chair of a cell of the most powerful terrorist organization in the world. The co part rather bothered her, but Sark was useful, in more ways in one, at least for the moment. Right now she was content to share the power as it meant securing her position. She did not intend to share the leadership for long. Lauren did not particularly like to share.

Lauren Reed had learned power at the feet of the master, her father. From her father she had learned that power was the most important thing in the world. Better than sex, more important than knowledge, certainly more prominent than family.

Lauren had been conditioned early on to not show need. Need was weakness. Need was powerlessness. It was weak to cry when your parents dropped you off at yet another boarding school, even when you are only 6. Being self sufficient was almost a defense mechanism. By the time she had grown up, she needed no one, trusted no one, and knew she needed to look out for herself. And she had. She had more power than her father ever dreamed. With a final shake of her head Lauren stepped out of the shower and prepared to make her next move.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After Lauren went into the shower, Sark sat up and scooted back against the headboard, resting his head on it’s padding. Although his body had been satiated, mentally he felt rather weary. Ms. Reed was technically an adequate lover, but she rather lacked passion. Sark banged the back of his head lightly, but rhythmically against the headboard. He would have been appalled to know how similar that action was to Michael Vaughn’s.

Maybe he was getting old, Sark thought. In the past he had never particularly cared if he had an emotional connection with a woman he was sleeping with. Sark stretched under the sheets. He wondered what it would be like to have Sydney as a lover. He had been intrigued by her since his first sight of her singing in that nightclub in Paris. Sark rather doubted he would ever have first hand knowledge of intimacy with Sydney. He wasn’t exactly Sydney’s favorite person. Sark chuckled to himself. If only Michael Vaughn realized they had something in common; namely settling for Lauren Reed when they couldn’t have Sydney Bristow.

Well, enough rumination he thought. He had better get dressed. Sark was taking Lauren to the location he had chosen for the North American Covenant Cell Headquarters. Sarks’ habitual smirk reappeared on his face. The technically talented Ms. Reed was quite upset that he had chosen the location without consulting her, which he had to admit, was one of the reasons why he had done so.

Sark reached to the end of the bed and found his silk boxer shorts. He slid them on and reflexively checked the embroidery on the inside front waistband. Yes, it was indeed Saturday. Quite an affectation really and probably one of his only positive memories of his mother.

His mother had started labeling the days of the week in his underwear when he was 6 years old, only then it had been grayed hand-me-down briefs and a laundry marker.

Flashback

“Mummy, I am 6 years old. I do not need the days of the week written on my underwear like I am a baby who forgets Friday!”

Julian said this extra scornfully because he actually occasionally did forget Friday. Once he had gotten into terrible trouble because his mom thought he had skipped school when actually he had skipped the entire day of Friday and thought it was Saturday.

His mother simply smiled at him.

“Julian luv, “

She caressed his hair lovingly and pulled him onto her lap, as a mom is know to do when she knows her little one is growing up.

“Julian, I can’t give you much. I don’t have much wisdom. I can tell you this. Sometimes when you are a grown up life can get so crazy and upside down. You will be so exhausted and pulled in different directions, you might me grateful for the consistency of at least knowing what day it is”.

She kissed him gently on the head and whispered

“Especially if it’s Friday”

End of Flashback

His mother had been right about at least that, although he somehow doubted his mother had envisioned why his life was so harried. On quite a number of occasions while working for various persons, especially Irina, he had crossed so many time zones and been on so many planes he had sneaked a look at the waistband of his boxers to make sure when he was if not where he was.

His eyebrows rose as he saw Lauren come through the bathroom door.

“So, did we erase the boredom of your spouse from your skin Mrs. Vaughn?

Lauren looked at him seductively.

“Oh, I think there is a smidge of my pathetic weakling of a husband left”

Lauren crawled like a cat up the bed to Sark and licked him from navel to chin to ear and back to his mouth.

Sark pushed her away lightly.

“Now now luv, time for that later, we need to get over to our new headquarters.

“I still can’t believe you did with that without me” Lauren pouted.

Sark smirked. Yes, baiting Ms. Reed was fun.

“So I know you don’t love your husband and we do have other sources of Intel. Besides, he wants to be with someone else. Why don’t you just give him up”?

“Because he is mine and I don’t share.”

Back at Base Headquarters

When Lauren stepped into the light of the bedroom, there was no mistaking the fact that the Co Head of the North American Cell of the Covenant and Sark’s lover was Vaughn’s wife. Sydney, Vaughn and Jack sat frozen in silence, unable to take their eyes off the monitor, each desperately trying to make sense of what they were seeing and their unique emotions.

Sydney emotions were warring between horror for Vaughn, anger at the havoc Lauren had been able to reek, and joy. There was no chance on Vaughn’s marriage being reconciled at all.

Jack was feeling an odd combination. He shared Sydney’s anger, but also felt a mixture of pity and fellowship with Michael Vaughn. He also felt his own personal sense of Dejavu.

Vaughn was numb. All he could hear was a roaring in his ears that came from the deepest places of his soul. This woman was responsible for death and pain. She had kept him apart from the woman he loved with guile and betrayal. Through the roar in his head he heard Lauren’s exchange with Sark. With Lauren’s reply “He’s mine”, Vaughn bolted off the couch, unaware of the growl emanating from his throat. Jack reached him just as Vaughn was wrenching open the door.

“That is not the way. Agent Vaughn… Michael, I more than anyone else knows what you are feeling right now, believe me. But, unfortunately for right now, your feelings of betrayal are secondary”.

Jack held a steady pressure with his hand on Vaughn’s shoulder and maintained eye contact, trying to return Vaughn to himself.

Although he still felt as if his brain was exploding, Jack was getting through to him. It wasn’t as much the pressure on his shoulder or what Jack was saying. The look in Jack’s eyes was one he had never seen before. Jack’s unwavering gaze was filled with a fierceness as well as compassion. There was a connection being forged between the two, now unwilling members of an exclusive club.

“It is imperative that we wait until they lead us to their headquarters. Then you will have the joy of bringing down your wife, her lover, as well as the Covenant.”

Vaughn growled between clenched teeth

“She is not my wife”

Jack noted that the frantic swirling was slowing in Vaughn’s eyes and gave his shoulder one last squeeze and responded calmly.

“Indeed”

Jack and Vaughn both turned back toward the monitor where Lauren and Sark were visible writhing together on the bed.

Sydney stood up quickly and put her hand on Vaughn’s chest

“You shouldn’t see this”

Vaughn held her had against his heart briefly than pushed it away.

“Yes I should.”

He stared unblinkingly at his wife committing adultery and treason.

Well, it was true, women could multitask.

Vaughn’s brow became even more furrowed and the look in his eyes changed from frantic to steely, a look that seemed to have passed from Jack to Vaughn. He finally turned away from the monitor with his fists clenched and stalked out to the balcony.

Sydney rose to follow him but was restrained quietly by Jack.

“Let him be for now Sydney. He has just discovered a part of his life is a lie. A lie that has hurt many people, including you. He has to come though it on his own or it will never be real”.

Sydney sat on the edge of the couch rocking with agitation. She alternated between watching the monitor and Vaughn on the balcony. He stood leaning against the railing with his elbows locked and his head down.

Lauren and Sark were still occupied.

Finally Sydney could wait no longer. She went out and stood next to Vaughn, without touching him, her hair blowing gently in the breeze.

After a moment, Vaughn spoke, with his head still bowed.

“You know, the worst part is that she is right. I am… was pathetic and weak”.

Vaughn looked up but straight ahead, not daring to look at Sydney.

“I was so caught up in grief after you died. First I tried to drink myself into oblivion, and then I just wallowed in pity, just a shadow. All I could think of was how much I loved you and how great we were together.”

“That’s why I left the agency, not as much as because you weren’t there, although it made me a little hollower every time I saw your empty desk. They kept it empty for a long time, you know, almost like a shrine. No, I left because I was convinced I was incapable of being a good agent without you.”

“Vaughn”

Sydney’s voice was full of sorrow as she reached out a hand but stopped short of touching him, her hand paused aching, a handbreadth away from contact.

Vaughn straightened and turned to Sydney for the first time. Sydney was surprised at the look in his eye. She expected to see pain and misery and self doubt. Really just the motions he had been displaying all too frequently, only intensified. She saw grief, yes, but surrounding was a steely look of determination. The look she had always associated with her father, although Vaughn’s had a spark her father never had.

“You know what Syd? I was good before you. I kicked a** as an agent before I ever saw you. That’s why were so good together. We completed each other without taking away form each other. You had my heart, my trust, and I always knew you had my back. Your strength meant we could be completely honest with each other. We saved each other.

Vaughn shook his head, disgusted with himself.

“Lauren was right. It was so easy for her. I didn’t love her, but she convinced me we needed each other and I called that love. That gave me purpose again.”

He looked her and his face softened for a moment.

“Then I saw you in Hong Kong. A part of my heart that I thought was dead began to beat again.”

A ghost of a smile sped across Vaughn’s face then disappeared.

“But there was my wife, reminding me how broken I was.”

“Be careful” she said.

“Are you sure you can do that?” she would say whenever I tried to regain any sense of self respect.

She made me doubt myself while making me think she loved me.

What kind of idiot does that?

I can barely stand myself.

But, I have her to thank. Seeing her with Sark finally woke me up.

This is separate from you Syd. I finally remember who and what I am.

Vaughn had that steely look in his eye as he strode purposefully through the door to Jack.

“OK. What is the plan?”

Jan looked at him for a moment, trying to assess his stability.

“First, I need to know if you can truly handle this. If you can’t, you will be a danger to us all.”

Vaughn looked at Jack unblinkingly.

“I can handle anything. Just one thing. I am point.”

Jack and Vaughn stood staring at each other for what seemed like eternity.

Jack was feeling something he never thought he would experience in regards to Michael Vaughn…envy.

When Laura had died, he had done the same thing Vaughn had done 20odd years later. He tried to drink the grief away. It didn’t work then either. When he had discovered his wife’s duplicity, he had been unable to function. There is no way he could have lead a mission against his wife less than an hour after discovering their marriage was a lie. Jack had coped by cutting himself off emotionally. That is not what Michael Vaughn was doing.

As Jack looked into Vaughn’s eyes, he heard his daughter in the distance strapping on her gear. That was the difference. Vaughn may have been betrayed by his wife, but his love, his soul mate to use that term, was here with him, returned to him. Jack had not been so lucky. His traitorous wife had been his soul mate.

He broke the stare down with Vaughn and turned for his gear.

sorry guys, pms not working!

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get back here. For all you students, the other side of the podium is rough too!

To make it up to you I am giving you one, no make that two, no make that three new chapters!!! So get comfy, have a tasy snack and perhaps a drink and enjoy. Oh and of course please review as I love them so.

Chapter Ten: Redemption

Jack, Vaughn, and Sydney packed their supplies as Jack outlined the plan.

“My only concern is being spotted tailing Sark and Lauren. We have to remain close enough to maintain visual contact.

Vaughn winced at the sound of Laurens’ name.

Jack glanced over at him then resumed.

“But, it is imperative that we do not apprehend them or be spotted until they lead us to their headquarters. Before we go in, we will contact the local police. Arrangements have been made for the Vancouver police to detain them long enough to charge them with espionage in Canada before being transferred to CIA custody. They are fully aware of Sarks' history and every precaution is being taken.”

Vaughn turned quickly to Jack.

“Did Sark take his PDA?”

Jack looked puzzled and slightly haughty, one eyebrow rose ever so slightly.

“Yes, I saw Sark put it in his pocket, but I hardly see how that is relevant Agent Vaughn.”

Ok, bonding time with Jack appeared to be over.

“I set the microchip to also be a tracking device.”

Jack stared at Vaughn as if he were a 2 year old suddenly spouting his views on String Theory and Quantum Physics.

“What are you talking about?”

“After Sydney left op tech, Marshall remembered the he programmed a tracking function into the microchips.”

Vaughn struck a Marshal-like pose.

“So, by doing this, you can set the chip to be a tracking devise. I just got carried away. I almost made it an MP3 player! I’m not sure why. I mean you will be installing these babies in appliances. Its unlikely Sark will be strapping the refrigerator to his back. Although if he hurting for the greenbacks, he might abscond with the VCR ”

Vaughn mimes Marshal’s classic air guns and holsters

“We got um cold”

Vaughn shrugged.

“So, when I saw the PDA, I decided it was probable Sark would take it with him and we could track him from there.”

Jack’s look changed to the proud look of a father who’s son just won the science award for his views on String Theory an Quantum Physics.

At the time, Vaughn had been rather impressed with himself. Now it was hard to care about anything. He glanced over at the monitor. Jack saw his fists clench, his pupils constrict and his face deaden behind a mask. It was a familiar look to Jack. He walked over and put his hand on Vaughn’s shoulder once again. They stood side by side watching

“Welcome to the club” Jack intoned without turning his head.

“I hope you don’t expect me to learn a secret handshake”

“No, of course not. We do however go for pedicures every first and third Tuesday of the month.”

“Oh, that’s good then. These boots make the skin on my heels so dry”

Sydney just stared at both of them. She had always wanted her dad and Vaughn to get a long, but this was a little much.

Sydney had a sudden vision of her dad and Vaughn at the beauty parlor with their pants rolled up and those orange spongy things between their twos, discussing polish colors.

Sydney was saved permanent psychological damage and an almost certain aversion to feet by the sight of Sark and Lauren leaving their room.

“They’re leaving. We better move.”

The three spies all dressed in black snuck out the back door and made their way to the car.

Jack drove while Sydney rode shotgun manning the GPS unit, directing Jack as she tracked the blipping light that was Sark and Lauren. It was kind of like Ms. Pac Man.

Vaughn sat in the back seat, alone by choice, lost in the swirling emotions in his head. Sydney had taken one worried glance back at him when they first got in the car. Vaughn had attempted a half hearted smile which resulted only in one side of his mouth lifting a fraction of an inch and no appearance of dimples what so ever. Sydney began to climb in the back seat after him; he motioned her away and managed a slightly more realistic smile.

“I can’t say I’m ok Syd, but I promise I won’t spontaneously combust either. I need to get my act together before we get there; I need to be alone to do that. You can understand that can’t you?”

Sydney looked down her nose at him.

“Yea, but if you do burst into flames because you needed me and are too macho to tell me, I’m not going to put you out”

Vaughn mustered an actual smile

“Gotchya, I’ll just sit back here and blaze away.”

Sydney left him alone for the remainder of the pursuit. Vaughn sat alone and tried to prepare himself for confronting Lauren. For the longest time all he could think of was Lauren bursting into flames, which was Sydney’s fault really, breaking out into boils or Vaughn shooting her between the eyes. There was also a visualization of Lauren turning into a various vegetables and Vaughn putting them in a blender on high. He wasn’t sure where that one was coming from, but he really enjoyed visualizing pushing the on button, especially in one visualization when he forgot to put the top on the blender and Vegetable Lauren sprayed all over the ceiling. He decided to change tactics practiced different scenarios, mostly involving himself being incredibly cool, until he was jolted by Jack’s voice.

“They parked at the abandoned warehouse up ahead”

Jack sighed, “Why is it always a dark abandoned warehouse at night. I’m getting too old for this. I would like a nice well lit bistro every now and again.”

Jack turned around in his seat and looked at Vaughn.

“I need to know if you are able to handle this. Neither Sydney or I are going to think any less of you if you don’t want to lead this mission.”

Jack took a deep breath as if he was going to say something difficult.

“In all honesty I know I could not have.”

He exhaled sharply and looked at Vaughn and Sydney, challenging them to belittle him. Sydney put her head on his shoulder and whispered

“I miss her too dad”.

Jack looked slightly surprised at her intuition then rested her cheek against her head for a moment, the two connected by loss, betrayal, and love, if only for a moment.

Jack sighed and reluctantly broke the contact with his daughter and turned back to Vaughn.

Vaughn looked at him calmly and replied

“I appreciate that Jack, more than I can say. You are one of the strongest and scariest men I know”

Jack snorted

Vaughn was managing actual smiles now.

“The difference for good and bad is that I never really loved my wife. You did”

Sydney looked startled at his statement then settled into a shy and somewhat smug smile.

Vaughn returned the look then his spy look took over. His eyes burned with intensity, his jaw squared, his razor stubble turned his face slightly menacing. He jumped lightly out of the car and slung on his shoulder holster.

Sydney smile. YES! Vaughnalicious Spymuffin lived!

Vaughn pulled on his ski mask and pulled it up above his face.

“Jack, you and Sydney take the stairs. I’m going up through the window. Keep com silent until you are in place at the door. We will go in on my mark”

Jack and Sydney nodded, pulled down their own ski masks and headed to the stairs. Vaughn pulled on his own mask and looked up at the third floor window. He could see a shape that appeared to be Sark at the window. He studied the brick. Vaughn did not want to risk throwing up a line. The brick work of the warehouse was slightly uneven. Vaughn decided to risk the free climb, banking on being able to find toe and finger holds in the missing mortar between bricks.

Vaughn climbed the first story without incidence. His finger curled expertly after the last joint so that only the tips of his fingers were needed to maintain his balance. He needed only a fraction of brick to achieve a toe grip and propel him upward.

Halfway between the second and third floor a portion of the brick turned to dust under his left hand and he found himself hanging on the side of the warehouse, held only by the tips of his fight hand. If he didn’t know better, he would think Sark and Lauren had picked this building on purpose to try and kill him.

He swung back around, the muscles in his right forearm and shoulders taut against the fabric of his black turtle neck. He could feel the cotton straining and found himself singing “cotton the fabric of our lives” as he regained his hand and footholds. Somehow he didn’t think hanging on the side of a building while trying to apprehend one’s adulterous traitor wife and her lover would make it into the commercial. He reached the window as he heard Jack’s voice

“In place Boy Scout”

Vaughn poised himself on the window and waited until Sark was directly in front of him with his back turned.

“3—2—1—GO”

Jack and Sydney burst through the door while simultaneously Vaughn held onto the casement and swung through the window feet first, shards of glass flying everywhere. Sark instinctively ducked to avoid the projectile shards. Vaughn landed on his feet and quickly pinned Sark to the floor, handcuffing him.

Sydney and Jack stopped inside the door, their guns both trained on Lauren, who was standing at a work table. She looked up, more irritated than scared.

“Who the hell are you?”

Vaughn pulled off his mask first and looked down at Sark. Sharks’ face changed from stunned and pained from the glass being ground into his face as Vaughn pressed it into the floor, to incredulousness, surprise, and even an amount of amusement. Sark looked up at Vaughn sardonically.

“Now this should be interesting.”

Lauren was watching as Sydney and Jack tore off their masks. As she heard Sarks’ comment she turned quickly.

When she noted Vaughn her face changed from irritated to simpering. She began to move toward Vaughn but was restrained by Sydney.

Lauren began to cry.

“Oh Michael, I am so glad you are here. I was at the airport on the way to D. C. and Sark just grabbed me”

Lauren’s eyes filled with tear and her lower lip began to tremble. Vaughn found he was watching her almost as if she was a stranger or was watching her on TV. He felt completely detached. Lauren looked at Vaughn imploringly.

“Michael, Sark is covenant and said he would hold me hostage for CIA/NSC information.”

“Shut up” Vaughn replied completely without emotion.

“But Michael”

Vaughn aimed his gun at Lauren. Lauren looked at Vaughn and noted the look in his eye. She turned and looked at Sydney and Jack. Her eyes narrowed as she realized her cover had been compromised. She dropped her cover and looked at Vaughn with the contempt she had always felt.

“Or what YOU’RE going to shoot me?”

Sydney’s grip began to tighten, but Vaughn shook his head and moved to face Lauren. Jack moved to cover Sark. Lauren noted Sydney’s movement and continued to taunt Vaughn.

“You’re so weak; you have to have HER fight your battles for you.”

Vaughn looked her straight in the eye and shot her in the knee. Lauren fell to the ground with a scream.

“The only reason you are not dead is because you are not worth the paperwork if I kill you”

Across the room, Sark began to sit up and Jack pushed him to the floor with his boot. Sark turned his head to look at Jack.

“You know Agent Bristow, you could uncuff me and turn your back and I’m not sure I would escape and miss this little marital chat.”

Jack snorted, but allowed Sark to sit up, cuffing him the leg of the table, which was bolted to the floor.

Lauren was writhing on the floor, but still managed to spit out to Vaughn

“You have nothing…You are NOTHING.”

Vaughn shot her in the other knee. His face was still professional and cold although his voice was low and passionate. He walked closer until he was looking down at Lauren who had to crane her head up to look at him. Sydney noted the completely dominant position of Vaughn and the submissive position that put Lauren in and smiled.

Vaughn noted his position of superiority as well and it brought a brief wry smile on his face before it turned to stone once again.

“You had me convinced I was a weak and broken man. I thought I could not love you because I was broken and no longer capable of love”

Vaughn tilted his head slightly to the side.

“When really it was because you are cold and lifeless with nothing inside. You try to fill up with evil and power in an attempt to be something. You know what? You could not even do that right.”

Vaughn squatted down and looked Lauren in the eye.

“What do you think the Covenant will say when they find out your ‘weak and pathetic’ husband brought you down?”

Sark whistled at Vaughn’s choice of words, realizing their room had been bugged. He looked at Vaughn with a new admiration and a smirk appeared on his face as he looked at Lauren. He was rather enjoying this, except for the fact that he also was soon to be in CIA custody once AGAIN.

Vaughn’s eyes flicked down to glance at Lauren’s blood pooling on the floor and moved back to her face without an once of pity or concern.

“You failed as a spy, you failed as a mole, and you certainly failed as a lover right Julian?”

Vaughn looked Sark in the eye. Something passed between the two men. Sark realized Vaughn knew exactly why he had slept with Lauren and didn’t even really hold it against him. Sark gave out an astonished laugh as he felt the one emotion he never thought he would feel for Michael Vaughn, admiration.

The faint sound of sirens began growing louder as the local Vancouver police closed in. Vaughn turned back to Lauren who was now whimpering and sniveling on the floor. Vaughn straightened looking down at Lauren once more.

“You disgust me.”

Lauren screamed “Michael” and tried to crawl toward him. Sydney placed her boot on the back of Lauren’s neck and ground her face into the floor.

Vaughn turned to Jack.

“You got it from here?”

Jack nodded in affirmation.

Vaughn threw his gun down and walked out the door.

Sydney watched him leave with a smile on her face as she put even more pressure on Lauren’s prostrate form.

Chapter 11

Sydney Bristow woke to the sound and smell of the ocean lapping to the shore outside of her window. She was totally relaxed, totally at peace. She stretched her long legs and set her hammock swinging gently by pushing off the wall with one hand. She debated her options, but as most of them involved getting out of the hammock, Sydney opted for staying put. Life could go on without her for a few more minutes.

Sydney smiled dreamily and snuggled back into the hammock. She could barely recall the times she had been truly relaxed and at peace. There were only three other times that she could recall.

When she had been six, there had been a huge storm that knocked out the power at their house. The wind had been fierce, the rain hissing as it hit the windows and the thunder, well thunderous. She had been terrified. Her parents had gathered pillows, blankets, and candles in front of the fireplace. Laura had created a little family haven away from the storm. They had roasted marshmallows, told stories, played board games and sang songs. She would always remember her dad solemnly singing in a deep solemn theatrical voice, the flashlight under his chin to illuminate his face, creating eerie shadows. As she remembered, the tune had been to “O Christmas Tree”

“Oh Tom the Toad, oh Tom the Toad,

Why did you jump into the road?

Oh Tom the Toad oh Tom the Toad

Why did you jump into the road?

You did not see the car ahead, and now you’re wearing tire tread

Oh Tom the Toad oh Tom the Toad,

Why did you jump into the road?”

She had awoken the next morning still curled up in the family nest with her parents on either side, their arms both reaching across her, hands entwined, protecting Sydney without losing contact with each other. She had felt so loved and secure. It would be a long time before she would again. Her mother “died” less than a month later.

The second time had been with Francie and Will. They had gone on a picnic after finals. They had played tag, truth or dare and ate way too many sandwiches. Afterwards, the tree had stretched out on their backs, finding shapes in the clouds. They had no cares in the world and were family to each other. As she recalled, the next week she had been recruited by SD6 and secrecy had meant the times of peace and serenity were at an end.

Until Vaughn…

The last time she had felt total relaxation, peace, and security, had been waking up in Vaughn’s arms the first night they had made love.

Now, hopefully, these moments would turn into a life time. Sydney finally swung herself out of the hammock, smiled at the form sleeping in the other hammock and tiptoed outside to get ready for the wedding.

Sydney stepped out of the guest house and sunk her toes into the cool sand as she yawned and stretched her arms above her head. It was still early and a cool breeze off the ocean lifted her bangs off of her forehead.

Sydney gazed out at the ocean, nothing particular on her mind as her breathing synchronized with the ebb and flow of the waves. Her thoughts or lack there of, were interrupted as she noticed movement out of the corner of her eye. Sydney turned her head and saw Vaughn jogging down the beach.

Actually it was way too far for even Sydney’s keen eyes to identify the runner. No, her eyes did not tell her it was Vaughn, her heart did. The heart was like a 6th sense when it came to its mate. Sydney was certain she could identify Vaughn blindfolded in a rainstorm at night. Come to think of it, she probably had!

Sydney leaned back against the wall as Vaughn came into focus, nearing the end of his run. She noted Vaughn still ran through the ocean spray on beach runs to cool off as his knee length cut off sweats were wet enough to outline the contraction and relaxation of his quadriceps as he ran. Vaughn was shirtless and the early morning sun gleamed off the fine sheen of sweat on his chest.

Sydney loved to watch him move. She always had, ever since that first day when she had walked into the CIA offices looking like a clown after a car accident. The corner of her brain not occupied with her throbbing mouth or documenting her story, had noted the way he stood with his hands on his hips and his fluid motion as he leaned over her shoulder. He had smelled pretty good too. Sydney however had smelled like a Taipei alley and alcohol.

Sydney would probably still love to watch him move when they were shuffling side by side with their walkers in the James Bond Memorial Old Spies Home. She would probably pretend to be slow just to watch his butt.

Sydney smiled at the thought and returned to the present day and was rewarded with the sight of Vaughn’s current gluts as he ended his run and stood facing the ocean with his hands on his hips.

Sydney felt the connection between their hearts strengthen once again. It had taken 3 years from that day Vaughn had walked out of the warehouse, leaving Lauren bleeding on the floor, to reach this day. Three long years.

Flashback

The day after the takedown at the warehouse had been surreal. Sydney and Jack had worked with the local police to secure Sark and Lauren and transport them to the air strip before returning to the base to pack the gear. Sydney was worried about Vaughn and kept looking to the door every time she heard a sound. Finally, Jack received a text message as they were finishing. He frowned slightly.

“What is it dad?”

“Vaughn is going to meet us in L.A.”

“Where is he? Is he OK?”

“I don’t know sweetheart, that’s all he said.”

Jack and Sydney were mostly silent on the plane ride back. They were both lost in though. Jack in the past and Sydney in the future.

They met Vaughn in the parking garage. Sydney was relieved to see him, but noted the tightness around his eyes.

“Is everything ok Agent Vaughn?”

“If you mean me Jack, yes for the moment. I have a lot of decisions to make, but for now I promise not to burst into flames or deck anyone that mentions Lauren’s name during debrief. After that, I make no promises.”

“As long as you don’t burst into tears, my suit is dry clean only”

Sydney watched them from a distance, unsure of what to do. This was new territory. She was usually the one with massive emotional baggage, although Vaughn had always had a carryon or two of his own, although his usually had wheels. Vaughn had always been there to help redistribute the load or keep her from adding anything else to her load. Now it was her turn and she wasn’t quite sure what to do.

Vaughn paused and put his hand on Sydney’s shoulder. Sydney looked up at him expectantly; ready to do what ever it took.

“Syd, I need to talk with your dad alone for a minute”

Sydney looked startled for a moment then dropped her eyes, her heart dropping.

“Oh, of course, I’ll just see you at the debrief then”

She started to pull away from Vaughn. He strengthened his grip on her shoulder slightly and leaned forward until their foreheads rested against each other.

“Syd” he whispered in a hoarse voice, betraying all of the emotion he had been attempting to hide. Vaughn moved his hand from her shoulder and ran his knuckles lightly down the side of her face.

Sydney sighed and broke away; holding Vaughn’s face between her hands, staring into his eyes, still unable to read what was behind the veil.

“It’s Ok Vaughn, I understand. Go talk to my dad”

“Just club business you know” Vaughn said with a ghost of a smile.

Sydney tried to follow his mood and groaned.

“Just don’t get matching toenail polish; I don’t think I could handle that!”

Vaughn looked at her in mock anger.

“Of course not! I’m a winter and Jack is more of a fall”

Sydney laughed as Vaughn turned to Jack.

“Jack, do you have a moment?”

Sydney followed behind as the Vaughn and her dad were lost in discussion, still unsure of how Vaughn actually was and what she could do about it.

Vaughn sat across form her during the debrief, keeping his eyes on Dixon or on some fixed point on the wall, his jaw muscles visibly clenching and unclenching. Other than overworking his TMJ, Vaughn showed next to no emotion, even during the description of the surveillance tapes of Lauren and Sark.

When the debrief ended, Vaughn slipped out of the room quickly. Sydney moved to follow him, but was detained by Jack.

“Let him go sweetheart, he needs a moment alone.”

Sydney looked at Jack in amazement.

“But dad, he just had to sit and rehash his wife’s betrayals! He has to be torn up inside. You of all people should understand that. He needs someone to help him through this. I don’t want him to end up like..” Sydney stopped, suddenly realizing what her emotions were about to say.

Jack just looked at her sadly

“Like me Sydney?”

“Dad I’m…”

“No, its ok Sydney you are right, but Vaughn is not me, a fact which he has pointed out on more than one occasion. He’s not running off to drink himself into a stupor. He’ll be ok, just give him a moment”

Sydney looked at her dad with sudden suspicion.

“What did he say to you? What is he doing?”

When Jack didn’t say anything, Sydney spun on her heel and ran out the door. Vaughn was not at his desk, the break room, the flirting corner, or anywhere else in the Rotunda. Sydney returned to her desk slowly. As she grew closer she saw a white envelope on her chair. She picked it up and saw her name written in the code she and Vaughn had developed. She wasn’t quite sure if she wanted to open it or not.

Sydney sat down and stared at the envelope. She wasn’t sure if she could handle what was inside. She slowly opened the envelope and closed her eyes briefly before unfolding the letter. She set aside an additional folded piece of paper with Weiss’ name on it.

Syd, Sydney, Bozo, Sexy Super Sypchick, Soul mate,

Every name I have for you is also a synonym for my love. It has been so long since I

have been able to say this to you, but I want you to know that it has always been in my

heart, a whisper I could always hear in my mind, no matter where I was, what I was

doing, or who I was with.

I wish I could say this to you I n person, but I can’t. Not yet. I know if I took you in

my arms. looked into your eyes and finally said all I that I feel for you, I could never

leave and leave is what I must do, for now, not for forever.

There is so much guilt, pain and hate inside of me, not only because of Lauren (may

her name be stricken and never pass my lips or pen again), but also at myself. I do not

want that ever to become a part of ‘us’.

I know if I stayed, I would rely on you to keep me from losing myself in cynicism,

similar I guess to you and your obsession with Sloane. But this is different, at least for

me. I got into this by myself and I need to get out of it myself. I need to throw my

wedding ring off the Pier alone. Maybe it’s a guy thing, but I need to concur this alone.

I don’t know how long this will take. Dixon has given me an unspecified leave. I’m

not even sure where I will be. I have a secured email account with your dad (yes, Jack

Bristow). He will know where and how I am. He and Eric promised to look out for you.

Ya Agent Sexy Spychick, I know you don’t need it, but I do.

I know when I asked you to wait a little longer for me; this wasn’t the scenario we had

in mind. I do promise I will be back and then I plan on making good on the promise I

made on the plane.

In an envelope in your top desk drawer you will find what looks like a broken rock.

Well, actually that is exactly what it is. After the warehouse in Vancouver, I went down

to the ocean. The waves were pounding and crashing against the rocks, just like my

emotions. I looked down and there was a rock in the shape of a heart that had broken in

half with the strength of the waves. That is how my own heart felt, bashed and battered

by a storm. Take this part of my heart Syd. I’m leaving it with you, battered though it is.

When I get back, we can put the pieces together.

Vaughn

Sydney closed the letter with tears in her eyes and looked up to see Weiss looking at her with concern.

“What’s wrong Syd”

Sydney just shook her head

Weiss saw the letter in her head and groaned.

“What did that idiot do now?

He glared at the piece of paper in Sydney’s hand.

“Is that a ‘Dear Sydney letter’

Weiss put his hands on his hips and stared at Vaughn’s empty desk.

“I don’t care what he has just been through! I am going to beat him like a redheaded stepchild until his ears bleed!”

“I can’t believe that idiot!”

“First he marries that…. THING with the mouth that looked like Mr. Ed the horse.”

Weiss had started pacing, gesturing with his hands.

Sydney tried to interrupt him, holding up the folded note addressed to Weiss that had been insider her letter but Weiss was working himself up into frenzy.

“Ok, I know I said I liked her but I was LYING!”

“She couldn’t hold a burnt out snub of a candle to you BEFORE we knew she was evil!”

Weiss grabbed Sydney by the shoulders and looked her in the eye.

“I think those furrows in his brow have sunk into his brain!

“What an idiot! “

Weiss pushed her away and started pacing again.

“Weiss!”

Weiss’s hand gestures became more dramatic and Sydney wasn’t even sure he was talking to her anymore.

“What is he doing?

“I know he still loves you.”

“What is he doing? Trying to be all noble?”

“I’m going to do something totally evil… I’m gonna… I’m gonna… I’m going to strap him to a chair and make him listen to Barry Manillo singing show tunes until blood starts spilling out of his ears!”

Sydney tried waving her hands in front of his face

“WEISS”

Weiss had now climbed on top of his desk and was ranting like an incensed pro wrestler about to do a death drop on his opponent in the ring.

No, No… I’M going to imitate Barry Mannilo doing show tunes!

“ERIC!”

Weiss finally noticed her and shut up. He then suddenly realized that he was standing on his desk and the entire Joint Task Force was staring at him.

“Um just practicing for the uhh… community theater”

Weiss quickly jumped down from the desk and took the folded piece of paper Sydney had been holding out.”

Weiss,

Shut up and sit down. I know you think I’m an idiot.

Weiss shook his head in bemusement at how well his friend knew him and how often he must act like a complete idiot to be this predictable. He needed a hobby. Maybe scrap booking…

I have a favor to ask of you man. I need you to look after Sydney for me.

Eric snorted, isn’t that what he had BEEN doing all on his very own? Besides he hadn’t been doing it for Mike, but for Sydney.

Yeah, I know you have been doing that all along. It has been both painful and a relief to

watch you two growing closer while I couldn’t do a thing. I don’t think Sydney could

have handled things as well as she has without you. I know you did it because you care

for her, not because of me. I guess I just need to tell you how much it meant to me, what

ever your motivation and ask that you keep doing it. She needs you.

I’m not quite sure when I will be back. Jack (yea Jack Bristow) will know where I am.

There is a long way to go before I deserve her again, if I ever did.

Take care of Donovan again for me.

Mike

Weiss looked up from the letter to Sydney, who was holding the broken rock tightly in her hand, looking off into nothing.

“Hey Sydney, have you ever thought of scrap booking?

Chapter 12
~~~~~Vaughn’s Excellent Adventure

Vaughn sat in his car in the CIA parking garage with his head resting on the steering wheel. What he had written to Sydney in the parking garage had been completely true. He had no idea where he was going.

He certainly was not going to go back to the apartment he had shared with Lauren, not that it had ever felt like home. Donovan would probably be happy never to return their either.

Vaughn thought he might need to invest some money in pet therapy so Donovan wouldn’t end up with a fear of laundry rooms. He wondered if they could get a couples rate

Vaughn sighed. He was tired tired tired tired tired tired. Where could he go where no one would bother him and he could sleep and try and figured out his life?

Suddenly he knew.

Vaughn hit number 4 on his speed dial.

“Hi mom…”

Amelie Vaughn still lived in Vaughn’s childhood home along the Santa Monica Coast. He and Lauren had been there a total of twice and had slept in the guest room which his mom had decorated just for them. Lauren had termed it “quaint”. Needless to say visits to his mom with Lauren had not been overly pleasant.

Vaughn’s mom had turned his childhood room into an office. His old twin bed was still there, but his old trusty Star Wars comforter had been replaced by a colorful quilt from IKEA and was used as a couch.

Vaughn put the key in the lock and opened the door. He was tired, but he had to admit he really did not relish the idea of sleeping in any bed he had once shared with Lauren. No disinfectant or laundering would be able to banish the creepy crawly feeling of Lauren.

Maybe that is what he would do with his time off. He would go on a quest to burn every bed he and Lauren had ever slept in together.

It was worth some thought.

“Maman, are you here?”

There was no answer. Vaughn moved into the entry way and placed his keys next to a folded piece of paper with his name on it.

Michael, I am at a movie with friends. I thought you would probably like some time alone. Your old room is all set up for you. Sleep well my boy and I will see you in the morning.

Vaughn walked down the hall to his childhood room and opened the door. His mom’s desk and computer were still there, but on the other side of the room his bed was made up with his Star Wars comforter.

Vaughn striped down to his boxer shorts, crawled under the covers of his innocent youth and fell asleep almost instantly.

No dreams plagued him.

No images of Lauren gloating over Sydney’s lifeless body.

No chasing Sydney down a dark hallway with the sound of rushing water at his back, never quite able to reach her.

No small animals dressed in clown suits with sharp pointy teeth (ok, that was a recurring dream from his youth after a disastrous trip to the circus).

Vaughn dreamed he was Hans Solo streaking across the universe on a clandestine bootleg run with Sydney as Princess Lea with the cinnamon bun on the side of her head hairdo and Weiss as Chewbacca.

Vaughn awoke to a familiar smell from his childhood. Mmmmm… Cinnamon French toast, sausage, and coffee. It was what his mom would make for special occasions or whenever she knew he was going through a rough time.

After his dad had died he and his mom could have drifted apart each wrapped up in their own grief, unable to reach out to the other. Instead, they had become even closer. They could sense when the other was emotionally distraught no matter how hard they tried to cover up.

Vaughn stumbled out of bed and looked at the clock. He had slept for 14 hours straight. That was more than he had slept cumulatively in the last 4 days. He made his way down the hall and paused at the kitchen door.

Ameile Vaughn was at the sink rinsing vegetables. She was barefoot, dressed in faded jeans and a Beatles T shirt, and was doing a slight shimmy t o Alians Morisett as she worked.

Vaughn had always thought he had the coolest mom ever. She had never erred on the side of being a friend over a parent. Nope, he always knew
she was in charge, but she had weathered his teen years with humor, grace, and strict rules. They had come through the other side into his adult hood with mutual respect and truly enjoyed each other’s company.

Ameile turned as Vaughn came into the room.

“I say this with absolute love Michael, but you look awful.”

“Gee thanks, what would you say if you didn’t love me?”

She handed him a cup of coffee as he sat down at the table.

“Do you want me to beat her up for you?”

Vaughn looked up in surprise than laughed.

“I should have known I could not keep it from you. What gave me away?”

“The tone of your voice when you said you were coming alone”

Ameile grabbed her own cup of coffee and sat down across from Vaughn.

“I was grateful to Lauren for bringing you most of the way out of your grief, but you know I never did like her. Something about her eyebrows… and her teeth… and her personality.”

“You have no idea”

Vaughn spilled the whole story: his disintegrating marriage, feelings for Sydney, seeing Lauren and Sark together on tape, shooting Lauren in the knees, his unknown future.

Vaughn finished his breakfast and started his list.

1. Kill Lauren

2. Make Love to Sydney

Ok that was too short. He had better try again.

1. Throw Lauren off a cliff

2. Kiss Sydney

3. Throw Lauren off a cliff into a river

4. Slowly trace his finger from Sydney’s ear to the bottom of the V of her stretchy t-shirt

5. Tie big chunks of concrete to Lauren’s feet before throwing her off the cliff into the river.

6. Retrace the path of his finger with his lips

7. Take Lauren by the hair and swing her around his head a few times (he could be super strong in his own lists right?) before flinging her and her cement shoes off a cliff into a river.

8. Slowly peel off Sydney’s t-shirt while the candlelight reflected off of her luminescent skin.

9. Make a really big sandwich

Ok, that was really not getting him anywhere but in need of a cold shower and a really violent movie.

What did he want to do really? This excursion was supposed to be about rediscovering himself, what ever that meant. What did he need to do? What were the things he had always wanted to do? Vaughn started scribbling furiously on his list.

Phase One: Aggression

Vaughn knew part of the issue was all of his built up hostility toward Lauren that only violence would release. Although he would never admit it, he was also jealous of Sydney’s martial arts skills. Besides Sydney’s natural grace, SD6 provided a much more comprehensive fighting training program than the CIA had. It would be nice to know he could OCCASIONALLY not have his butt kicked.

Vaughn contacted Emmanuel, an old friend of his fathers, who now ran an Arnis de mano school in the Philippines. Arnis de mano was a very old form of martial arts with a very brutal history. It combined skill with sticks, swords, daggers, and open hand techniques.

It was just what he needed.

He completed training leaner than he had ever been before. He thought he had been in shape before, but that was nothing compared to how he now felt physically.

His muscles had learned to work in complete fluid harmony. He had excelled at every level of training to the point that Emmanuel was somewhat worried about his mental health.

After hearing Vaughn’s story, Emmanuel helped Vaughn learn how to turn his emotions of weakness and anger in to focus points, rechanneling the energy into achieving accuracy and mental stability.

Even after completing his training, Vaughn maintained the ritual of morning Kata. Kata was a set sequence of basic defense and attacking routines done alone for meditation and practice.

As per custom, even on the coldest mornings, Vaughn performed his Kata outdoors; bare chested, preferably barefoot with the loose knee length practice shorts used by Arnis de mano experts for centuries.

Vaughn found these sessions could completely clear and calm his mind as his toned muscles danced through their patterns.

He had found a way, physically, to conquer his negativity.

It was time to move on.

Phase Two: Psychological

Emmanuel was a deeply spiritual man. He recommended a time of seclusion and meditation. With that in mind, although with quite a bit of trepidation, Vaughn committed to spend 2 months with a group of St. Francis of Assai monks.

He felt like a bumbling fool at first. With the exception of performing Kata every morning, Vaughn followed the schedule of prayer, seclusion, and fasting of the Monks.

Vaughn found he could calm his mind while do his physical routines, but without the focus of movement he was lost. His mind would always wander back to regret, anger, and self-loathing.

One of the monks, Brother Jonah noted his discomfort and took him under his wing. They spent hours walking in the gardens and working side by side in the ceramic studio that produced wares to be sold via an online catalogue, supporting the community. They discussed everything and anything.

After 6 weeks, Vaughn finally learned to be quiet and listen to still small voice of God. It was then that he realized he was finally ready.

He also knew how to make really cool bowls.

Phase 3: What I never got to do on my summer vacation.

Vaughn was ready to resume a relationship with Sydney, but he could hardly walk back into her life and say.

“Ok, I’m all fixed, will you marry me?”

Sydney would probably kick his butt down the stairs and out the door.

Besides, he might feel great spiritually, mentally, and emotionally, but he did not quite trust himself to go back just yet.

Finally an opportunity presented itself when he received an email forwarded from his mom. It was from his high school hockey coach who was now coaching a semi pro league in Canada. It seemed one of his players was injured and he needed a replacement for the remaining 3 months of the season. Professional hockey was a dream he had abandoned many years ago. He could not pass it up.

It was one evening after a game that Vaughn found the perfect gift for Sydney. As he was walking past the line of vendors in the stadium, he noticed a keychain with a silver miniature Zamboni suspended from it.

Perfect!

He packaged it up along with a note to Weiss to put it on Sydney’s desk.

He called Weiss the day after it was delivered.

“Well?”

“I don’t hear from you for a year and the first thing you say is “well’”

“Ok, I missed you terribly Eric when I was on my adventure of self discovery and closure. Will you humbly except my apology and tell me what happened?”

“With what? Donovan. Oh he’s fine.”

“No you idiot! Sydney! Did she get it?”

“Yah, I slipped it into her locker after gym class. What are you, in like 7th grade?

“Hmm this coming from the man who mooned the West Coast Agents educational conference LAST YEAR”

“Oh yea”

“So what about Syd”

“She looked at the package curiously,

Opened it,

Read the note,

Blushed,

She opened the little box,

Held the silvery thingy which was too far away for me to discern its identity without using my Secret Agent Telephoto Glasses, against her heart while a single tear crept down one cheek.

She then took off the silver chain she was wearing, strung the sliver thingy on it and tuck it back in her shirt.

She then grinned like an idiot all day.

There, that descriptive enough for you?”

Silence

Mike?

More silence

Mike?

Weiss rolled his eyes.

“You’re doing the skippy happy dance aren’t you?”

“You know about the skippy happy dance?”

“Mike, pretty much everyone knows Mr. Super Spy Stud has a skippy happy dance. “

“Luckily I am now a martial arts expert”

“What?”

“I’ll give you my whole travel diary when I get back”

“When will you be back?”

“Another few months probably. I’m going to go do some climbing and rappelling in the Rockies for awhile.”

“That makes sense since your head is like a rock”

“Your all heart Weiss:

“Seriously Mike, I’ve been worried about you.”

“Me too Eric, me too. I think I’m finally on my way back, what ever that means. I feel pretty good. I just want to make sure it’s permanent, you know? I don’t want to come back, try and start something with Sydney again and get all morose and whiny again.”

“Nobody wants to see Agent Gloomy Gus again I can tell you that! It’s good to hear. You sound like your old self, but I don’t know, more… Does that make sense?”

“Yah actually it does. I gotta go Eric. Thanks for being my delivery boy man, I owe you one.”

“You owe me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that!”

“Sure, you can collect when YOU get a girlfriend”

“Ha very ha”

Vaughn made his way across the country by train, something his father had always talked about doing together, but never had the chance. He sent Sydney postcards along the way; just chatty “guess where I am notes”.

He sent her chocolate from Hershey Pennsylvania, a beautiful hand stitched quilt from Amish country, Elvis Salt and Pepper Shakers from Graceland, and a frozen deep dish pizza and a signed Mark Prior Cubs jersey from Chicago.

Vaughn had a great time at each stop searching out the perfect gift. It was a jazz CD from Kansas City and a stuffed potato that sang out “Hey Ho I’m from Idaho” when you squeezed it.

When he finally made it to the Rockies, he sent her one last postcard, this one in code.

Bozo,

I’m at my last stop and my quest is nearing its end. Although I had thought my heart was completely shattered, another small piece of it broke when I left you yet again.

I hope you still have the half of my heart. The other half has traveled this journey with me and now is ready to return to it’s other half, as am I.

See you soon

I have plans for you!

V

Vaughn spent the next month jumping off cliffs then scaling them again, only to jump off again. His Arnis de mano skills and new physical fitness had him climbing rock faces no one had ever attempted solo. He often drew crowds who would gaze at him in awe as he would seemingly float up the surface of the rock.

There was one memorable day when he wanted to see if he could rappel and entire cliff side upside down, which would be an advantage on some missions.

The sudden down pour did not deter him as he progressed down the side of the cliff, head down, muscles taunt as he repeatedly pushed off with his toes and with painstaking precision worked his way down his rope.

Most of his weight was held by his forearms, biceps, and triceps, which where taunt and steady under his black t-shirt.

When he realized it was an adrenaline rush versus a death wish that kept him trying faces with more and more difficulty, he realized it was time to go home.

Agent Sexy Spychic? Lol thats so cute!
I love love love love love love loved the updates!
Honestly thanks so much for the treat of three chapters! :thanks: you made my Day! :smiley:

This has been one of the best stories I ever read!!

The relationship between Syd and Vaughn is so detailed that it makes you feel like you are with them!!

I wish this is how the real story would have gone!!!

Thank you so much for continuing to post it here!! Keep them coming!!

Thanks every one! I am really enjoying reading this again as I post it. I didnt' quite realize how attached I was to this story! So, my few, but wonderful readers here you go!

: Chapter 14

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch

Sydney Bristow sat at her desk staring aimlessly at her computer. It was 2 hours and about 50 readings of his letter since Vaughn had left. Sydney understood why, but…

Sigh…

They were both free and yet not free to be together.

Again.

Sydney felt sad, lonely, frustrated, and really in need of chocolate.

Sydney was lost in her thoughts of the combination of ice cream, chocolate syrup, whipped cream and Vaughn when she heard Weiss.

“Ok super spy gal pal lets get going”

“What?”

“Mike told me to keep an eye on you like we haven’t been doing that for each other for oh round about a year now without the advice of Mr. Green Eyed Need to Find Myself Sabbatical Boy Scout.”

Sydney tried and failed to stifle a smile.

“Anyway I just got dumped by yet another girl for none other than the guy at Starbucks”

“Ooooo you mean the really cute one with the kinda spiky blond hair and the earring”

“Yea Syd, him, thanks for caring.”

Sydney jumped up and threw her arms around Eric and looked at him with complete sincerity.

“You are one of the 3 most wonderful men I know and someday a very lucky girl will find that out if it takes me the rest of my life to find her for you”

Eric was rendered speechless for probably only the second or third time in his life.

Sydney decided to rescue him.

“So what are the bags for? “ She pointed to the Michael’s Craft store bags at Weiss’ feet.

“That my dear is our hobby.”

“Who said I needed a hobby.”

“Nobody, but I do and you need to help me get over my crushing and humiliating breakup”

Sydney snorted.

“Right with the girl you went out with twice”

Eric looked at her with a pained expression.

“Yes, an eternity and I need to keep you from pinning what fate just won’t allow”

Weiss posed dramatically with his hand over his heart.

Sydney shrugged and grabbed her briefcase. She really had nothing better to do.

Back at Syd’s apartment

“SCRAPBOOKING”

Weiss was almost beside himself with glee as he dumped his bags onto the coffee table.

“I down loaded surveillance photos of all our missions. We can document for posterity for future generations to behold!”

Sydney shook her head but after a few minutes was caught up in sniping photos and adding decorative borders.

Tequila joined in the fun closely followed by Weiss attaching green Martian antenna to picture of a red faced Kendal.

Finally at about 11pm Sydney and Weiss completed their project. They were sitting side by side admiring their handiwork amidst a sea of debris when Sydney sighed.

“There’s only one problem Eric.”

Eric looked at the scrapbook pages sadly.

“Yea, I know, we have to destroy it don’t we?”

Sydney grabbed his hand in support.

“Well, we have documented secret missions and revealed secret identities”

“Martian Kendall would probably zap our butts into hyper space wouldn’t he?”

“I’m afraid so”

Eric sighed as he gathered all the pages and tossed them into the fire in the fireplace.

Sydney watched the pages as they burned.

“We should probably find a hobby that doesn’t threaten national security”

“It was therapeutic though wasn’t it?

Sydney laughed.

“It was worth it to have the memory of Kendal with antennae!”

“Ok gal pal, tomorrow we have a date for breakfast and the community center catalogue. We will find a hobby!”

He gave Syd a kiss on the forehead as she smiled up at him.

“Night boy toy”

Weiss rolled his eyes.

“Geesh now WE have pet names for each other. Man I need a girlfriend and your guy needs to find himself back here real soon.”

“I second those emotions!”

Sydney gave him a hug.

“I’ll make the coffee.”

~ ~ ~
The next morning Syd and Weiss sat across each other pondering their choices.

“Martial Arts”

“Been there done that”

“Portrait painting”

“Nah”

“Oooooo I have it!”
Eric excitedly circled something in the catalog and turned it so Sydney could see.

Sydney leaned excitedly across the table.

“What?”

“Knitting!”

Eric sat back triumphantly.

Sydney looked at him as if he were now wearing Kendal’s antennae.

“You have GOT to be kidding.”

“It will be great, very soothing and we can do it while watching TV”

Sydney threw up her hands.

The next Tuesday found Weiss and Sydney at the local community center receiving instruction on knit one purl two from a woman named Madge.

Half an hour later, Sydney was swearing at the tangled mass of yarn on her lap. She glanced over at Eric, and then stared harder. Weiss was humming a tune happily while his needles where clicking up a storm. He already had almost a foot of perfectly knitted scarf in his lap.

“Eric, you are a knitting Savant”

Eric glanced up with a look of surprise as if he had forgotten Sydney was there.

“What are you talking about?”

He looked at the mess in Sydney’s lap.

“You mean I can do something Uber Sydney can’t!”

Weiss let out a war whoop and started dancing around his chair, causing Madge to drop her knitting and fall out of her chair. She came over and examined Eric’s’ knitting.

“Oh my dear boy, you are a natural.”

Eric beamed.

Madge took one look at Sydney’s lap and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Well, hmmmmm. I think you might want to look into something else, maybe bowling.”

Eric and Sydney left the community center with Eric still singing.

“I beat Sydney da ta da

I beat Sydney da ta da

I beat Sydney. da ta da”

“There is no way I am going back there!”

Sydney crossed her arms and stalked across the parking lot with Weiss breaking into a jog to keep up. He reached Sydney and stuck his hands in his pockets while looking down and kicking a rock with his shoe.

“I agree, but if you don’t mind, I think I will. I kind of liked it.”

The next Christmas everyone received Eric Weiss stripy socks.

~ ~ ~

The two were about to give up on their quest for a distracting hobby they could do together when one Saturday morning….

“Hey Syd there is an estate sale around the corner at the old Carlson Mansion.”

And thus their hobby was born.

Of course as spies they couldn’t just go garage saleing. Nope, they had to have objectives.

Objective 1: Find cool, eclectic stuff to furnish their respective bland apartments.

Objective 2: Tacky contest. Each person would buy the tackiest thing they could find. Each week they would have a contest, the loser would have to put the winner’s tacky item on display in their home.

Both Eric and Sydney found they loved finding old things and making them new again, although their taste differed slightly.

Flashback

“Eric what in the world are you doing?”

“I am putting new legs on this vintage table top that I refinished.”

“Those are not table legs, they are people legs!”

“Mannequin legs actually. They had this to the fixtures sale at a clothing store and I bought the mannequins.”

Eric had the tiled table top upside down and was bolting mannequin legs to the four corners.

“Syd, help me turn this over.”

They turned the table over and stepped back to get perspective.

Syd bent her head to the side and walked around the table.

“They need shoes.”

The next day when Eric got home he found the legs of his table shod in two pairs of converse high tops; one purple, the other blue.

“She was right and the colors bring out the subtle tones in the tile top.”

End of Flashback

~ ~ ~

The next Saturday the two were at a sale. Sydney was eying a pair of gnome salt and pepper shakers for the tacky challenge. She had lost the week before and had a glow-in –the-dark Velvet painting of Elvis and the pope hanging in her apartment.

Eric was surveying and old dental chair, backing up to view it better when he backed into someone.

“Oh, I’m sorry!”

Eric turned around quickly and had to adjust his gaze downward.

“Yea, I know I’m short, but I make up for it in attitude.”

Eric was gazing down at a petite redhead with startling brown eyes. She was about 5’2”. Eric’s usual girls tended to be tall leggy California blonds, but there was something about her eyes...

“Now you are a big one. You could probably swing me around your head with one arm, not that that’s an invitation.”

Eric pretended to size her up and down.

“I do need some practice for the Highland Games.”

“If you’re going to be in a kilt, I just might volunteer.”

Eric was momentarily stunned. A woman was actually flirting with HIM, not the other way around. He wasn’t sure what to do.

The woman suddenly noticed Sydney viewing them out of the corner of her eye.

“Oh, you’re not here alone. I think your um… girlfriend is giving me the look.”

Eric whipped his head around.

“Girlfriend? What?”

He saw Syd across the yard.

“Oh, her, no way, she’s just a friend.”

The woman snorted and started to turn away.

“Yea that’s what they all say.”

Eric grabbed her arm.

“Wait!”

He turned and yelled at Sydney.

“Hey Syd!”

“Yo” said Syd not even looking up from examining the gnomes.

“Do you have any romantic feelings for me whatsoever?”

“Nope, nary a one.”

Eric turned back to the woman he was holding and quickly let go when he realized he was clutching her arm in desperation.

She smiled up at him.

“Wow, cute, great shoulders, and capable of having a platonic female friend. Can you cook?”

“Ahhh, does ordering pizza count?”

“It does in my book!”

They stood and smiled at each other.

Eric shifted nervously from one foot to the other.

“So… would you like to go get a cup of coffee or something?”

“I’d kinda like to know your name first.”

Eric looked sheepish.

“Eric, Eric Weiss”

The woman shook his hand.

“I’m Carmel Sundae and yes I know. My brother’s name is Chocolate and my sister’s is Cherry. Sad I know.”

“I love it!”

Carmel looked over at Sydney.

“What about your non-romantic friend?”

Eric looked around at Sydney with regret.

“Well I did come with her. She’s going through a rough time. She’s a really good friend and her boyfriend who is my best friend is out of town. I really should…”

At that moment Sydney suddenly looked down at her pager and ran over to Eric.

“Oh, Eric I’m sorry, worked called I have to go. I’m going to run home and change. You take the car.”

Sydney sent him a wink and Carmel a dazzling smile and jogged off.

“Hmmm…” said Carmel with a smirk.

“Not very subtle. She would make a horrible spy.”

“Yea” deadpanned Eric.

“The worst.”

The months trekked slowly by. Carmel soon became a frequent guest on their garage sale trips and Saturday pizza nights. Eric did however make sure at least one night a week was dedicated just to Syd.

Sydney appreciated them both and thought Carmel was amazing and wonderful for Eric. It was just that it had been over a year since Vaughn had left. She knew he was ok. Her dad kept her updated on his wellbeing, but that was it.

She was lonely and starting to wonder if he was ever coming back.

~ ~ ~

The next morning there was a package on her desk. It was addressed to her in Vaughn’s familiar handwriting. Sydney’s hands were shaking as she opened the package. There was a small box inside with a letter.

Sydney opened the box and stared at its contents her heart beating rapidly. She slowly pulled out a chain from which delicate miniature silver Zamboni was suspended. Sydney held it up in front of her eyes as if hypnotized. She clutched it to her chest and remembered to breathe. She opened the letter.

Sydney,

I have been sitting her for over an hour trying to find the words to tell you how I feel and how much I miss you.

Sydney paused and closed her eyes. There had been a small part of her that worried that in healing, Vaughn would consider her part of the painful past and want to move on.

I wish you could just plug into my brain and see where I have been. I’m sure Marshal could figure out a way to do it!

I want you to know you have been with me every step of the way. You have been my laughter when I was lonely, my courage when I was weak, and my conscious when I was filled with hatred.

I felt I had to separate myself from you to find myself, but in truth you have never left my side. I still regret all of the time we lost because of Lauren, but I have to say I have learned so much about myself in the past year and know I am a better person for it and wouldn’t trade where I have been and what I’ve done for anything. I don’t think I can ever be worthy of you, but I’m at least closer than I ever was.

I informed Dixon I would be back in 3 more months. I will let you know where I am, hoping that you still care after all this time.

When I saw this charm I had to send it to you to remind you of times we were happy together and to tell you I know we can be again.

Vaughn

Sydney sighed and folded the letter gently. She put the chain around her neck, kissed the charm and tucked it under her shirt close to her heart…where Vaughn was.

Sydney was still wearing the goofy smile and her hand kept straying unconsciously to where the charm rested when she was called into Dixon’s office.

Dixon was standing looking out the window when Sydney entered. He turned at the sound of her steps and looked at her with what she thought was concern.

They both sat down; Dixon behind his desk, Sydney on the other side of the desk.

“Sydney we have known each other a long time haven’t we.”

Sydney was not sure where this was going.

“Yes and I have trusted you with my life many times.”

Dixon smiled.

“The feeling is definitely mutual Sydney.”

Dixon paused and the concerned look returned to his eyes.

“I am asking you this as the director, but I am also your friend and will negate the request without a word.”

Sydney leaned forward.

“What is it Dixon.”

“Sark asked to see you and I would like you to honor that request.”

Sydney looked at Dixon in astonishment.

“Sark!" What is the world is he still doing here? It’s been a year since he and Lauren were captured.”

Sydney paused and looked Dixon in the eye.

“She is still here too?”

Dixon nodded his head his eyes still on Sydney.
“Yes, they are still in adjoining cells in our custody.”

“Why”

Dixon looked up at the ceiling and exhaled sharply in exasperation. When he looked back at Sydney it was with the look of her old partner, not the director.

“The NSC is under fire because of Lauren’s deception. They are scrambling to gather a panel of “appropriate” persons who did not know Lauren or her father to do the interrogation.

They are pompously demanding we do no questioning and ‘contaminate’ the investigation, not that interrogating Lauren would be very difficult. She would sell her mother for a manicure. In fact she probably will.”

Dixon shook his head in disgust.

“There was no immediate Intel that we needed form them, but the word has finally come that they will be transferred in two days. I want to get as much information as we can.”

Sydney looked at him, her hand once again moving to cover the charm. Yesterday she is not so sure she could have done this. Today, however, she had the strength.

“OK, I’ll do it.”

Dixon leaned forward and covered her hands with his.

“Are you sure Sydney? This intelligence is not as important to me as you are.”

Sydney gave him a genuine smile and squeezed her former partner’s hands.

“I’m sure.”

~ ~ ~ ~
A few short hours later, Sydney was cleared and made her way down the familiar hallway to the holding cells. The sound of a harmonica playing “Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen” filled the air.

Sydney paused in front of Sark’s cell.

“Using your time on musical pursuits I see.”

Sark looked up, jumping off the bed as he recognized Sydney.

“Are you kidding? It is purely self preservation. This is the only way I can drown out her CATERWALING! Sark yelled this last part sideways at the next cell.

Sydney steeled herself and turned.

She was not sure if she would have recognized Lauren on the street. Her hair was pulled back in a severe ponytail. Her hair was half grown out with half still bleach blond and the rest a non-descript brown. Her face was void of makeup and her eyebrows had merged to one.

“You” she spit out at Sydney.

“What are you doing here? I see from your hand that you and Michael have not made things official. Did you realize how boring he was in bed or did he just tire of your constant whining?”

Sydney simply looked her in the eye, smiling slightly, and pressed a button on the wall. A soundproof metal wall came down between the cells.

Sydney smiled and turned back to Sark.

“That’s better now isn’t it?”

Sark looked at her in astonishment.

“I don’t know whether to bow down and worship you as the goddess of my salvation or demand a trial for prisoner maltreatment for never doing that before. That woman has been a nightmare!”

Sydney looked at him.

“You’ll excuse me if I don’t feel any pity for you. You made your bed so to speak.”

Sark smirked at her.

“Well, since I couldn’t have you, I settled for someone who had slept with someone who had slept with you.”

Sydney looked at him in disgust.

“Sark you never cease to disgust me.”

Sark looked rueful.

“I have to admit I have to agree. I used to have better taste and discretion. Lesson learned hard I guess.”

“Do you have any information on the Covenant for us?

Sark leaned up against the glass.

“It will give me great pleasure to tell you this. Although I do not know who the head of the Covenant is, I can give you Olivia Reed on a silver platter.”

“How could you after all this time?’

“Olivia is a creature of habit. Her alias is always Georgina Dracos. She has a villa outside of Florence where I assure you she will be hiding out until things die down.

Sydney pressed the button to raise the wall.

Sark sighed.

“Must you evil woman, taunt me with peace than take it away?”

Sydney smiled at him slyly as Lauren came into view.

“Maybe I’ll taunt you with something else instead.”

As Lauren turned to watch, Sydney unlocked the small eye level door used to pass things to prisoners.

Sark looked at her in surprise.

Sydney smiled at him, ran her index finger seductively around her lips, reached through the door and traced the same finger along Sark’s lips. Sark’s pupils contracted. He grabbed Sydney’s hand and placed a searing kiss on the palm of her hand. Sydney withdrew her hand and locked the door.

She turned to Lauren with a smile.

“See, no one would rather have you than me.”

With her head held high she walked down the hall, laughing at the sound of Lauren shrieking.

She was healed as well. She was ready for Vaughn to come home.

She had a hard time not being pleased two days later when Sark escaped from NSC custody, leaving Lauren with duct tape across her mouth trussed up in the back of the transport truck.

Fantastic update! :smiley:
i loved the Syd Weiss moment. :D it was intensely amusing and dare i say. . Heartwarming!
:Ponder:

thanks for the PM and update! :smiley: :daisy:

Thanks for the update!!

Syd and Weiss are so cute!!

They make such great friends!!

I hope this story goes on forever!!

It is so good!! Update soon!!

THIS STORY IS GREAT...That parting shot of Syd's was perfect...
ok so I know you are posting here, but since its fininshed at sd1 im going to finish it over there cause its so good and I can't wait to see how it ends...

My numbering system is off, so I think I'll stop numbering them! Enjoy and as always make my day by reviewing!

Well, that didn’t go as planned
Vaughn could not stop his left leg from jiggling nervously. His right leg was occupied with the gas pedal, but his left seemed to have channeled all of his nervous energy and at this rate would probably put a hole in the floor of his new jeep. Vaughn stretched out his left hand and forcefully held his leg in check until it finally took a break and came to rest in its appropriate place near the clutch pedal. Vaughn patted the stick shift. He had always loved to drive stick and had rediscovered the joys of “four on the floor” while in the Philippines. When it was time to look for a new car, he new it had to be a stick. The sun was shinning, no one could hear him sing along to the radio, and he was heading back to Sydney, FINALLY!

He could not quite believe it. He would be seeing Sydney again in 4 hours.

There went the leg again.

Vaughn stopped at a stop light and double checked the Map Quest print out lying on the passenger sheet. A real estate friend of his had leased a small house for him. Vaughn had been tempted to rent an apartment in Sydney and Weiss’s building, but decided against it. He wanted to take a relationship with Sydney slowly this time. This was going to be a romance. Picking up a girl at her door just didn’t have the same pizzazz when she only lived a few doors down. Vaughn shifted uncomfortably in his seat and down shifted at another stoplight. Well, most of him wanted to go slowly.

A few blocks later, Vaughn downshifted again as he turned the corner, searching for his new address. The house had everything he asked for and was only a few blocks away from Sydney and Weiss’ building. It was a small 2 bedroom white stucco Mediterranean style home. He parked the car and stared it for a moment. It was uncannily like Sydney’s old apartment, which was very curious as he had met his real estate friend after Sydney was missing. She had no idea who Sydney was let alone what her old apartment had looked like. Vaughn decided he could look at this one of two ways.

Erie and weird

Or a positive Sydney omen

Vaughn decided on a positive Sydney omen and jumped out of the car. As he made his way up the walk way he noticed the bushes in front of the house had been trimmed to look something like a cat head.

Weird.

Vaughn opened the front door, dropped, bags, and looked around. Weiss had arranged for his stuff to be delivered from storage, where it had been since he moved in with Lauren. He walked around touching furniture he had almost forgotten he had owned. His things looked good here. This could definitely feel like home. It had been a very long time since Vaughn had felt at home anywhere.

Vaughn made a quick phone call to Weiss ant then went to locate the bathroom. He opened the door and winced for the first time since stepping into the house. The bathroom was Pepto Bismol pink with a hello Kitty boarder. Vaughn knew the previous occupant of the house had been a single 45 year old male who had lived in the house for almost 20 years.

Slightly disturbing when you thought about it. This would definitely be the first room he redecorated. It did kind of explain the bushes out front.

Vaughn stripped quickly and jumped into the shower with a small shudder. He could swear those beady little kitty eyes were staring right at him. He enjoyed his first long hot shower in quite awhile despite the staring cartoon felines

Vaughn got out of the shower and slung one towel around his narrow hips while toweling his hair with another. He had gotten his hair cut right before his trip home, but definitely needed a shave. Vaughn put some gel on his hands and ran them through his hair. He stared at himself critically in the mirror. There was a fine line between the slightly dishelved sexy look and the needed a comb look. Vaughn turned his head from side to side and decided to leave his hair as is and proceeded to shave. When he was satisfied with his face, he jumped up and down on his toes to release more pent up nerves and readjusted the towel which had begun to slip down his hips. Vaughn grabbed one of his bags and pulled out the clothes he had decided to wear for his first meeting with Sydney. He had agonized over what to wear more than a 16 year old girl getting ready for prom.

Vaughn first pulled on his favorite blue boxers that were so comfortable they seemed to know the shape of his body. He then pulled on faded 501 button flies and a black short sleeve T-shirt. One of his female rock climbing student had told him that particular shirt made him look so hot she wanted him to sling her over his shoulder, take her away, and have his way with her. Of course she had been a 65 year old knitting instructor named Madge, but he decided it did show off his muscles fairly well. He needed all the help he could get.

Vaughn pulled on socks and leather hiking boots and stomped over to the mirror to get his feet into the right spot in his boots. He stood in front of the full length mirror mounted on the inside of the closet door and exhaled loudly. He had been going for a different look, other than the CIA guy Sydney remembered and hoped he had found ruggedly handsome instead of rumpled and funky.

Vaughn’s pager went off and he looked at it and grinned. With one last look in the mirror and some minor readjustments, Vaughn was ready. He grabbed his keys and headed out the door.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/color]

Sydney took one last lap around the track and started the homeward leg of her run. It had been such a long week.; this was only the second time she had been out for a run, she hadn’t brushed her teeth yet this morning, and she really needed to shave her legs before the hair was long enough to braid.

All in all she felt like a grubby grumpy, hairy slug. The lure of razor, shower, and coffee spurred Sydney to speed up as her building came into view. As she jogged up the steps, she saw Weiss pacing in front of her door.

“Sydney…Finally! Where did you jog to Guam?

“What’s wrong?”

“I just got a call. They will be tearing down the warehouse where you used to meet Vaughn in…”

Weiss looked at his watch and yelled.

“20 MINUTES!”

Sydney looked at him in panic. Eric tossed her keys to her and she turned and flew down the stairs 3 at a time to the car. The shower would have to wait. Sydney clutched the steering wheel tightly as she headed to the warehouse. She could not believe it. No one used the warehouse anymore, well except for her. She had a ritual whenever she missed Vaughn or started wondering if he even wanted her anymore. Sydney would take all of the postcards and gifts he had sent her over to the warehouse. She had discreetly bought Vaughn’s favorite aftershave and sprinkled some on the stuffed Idaho Potato he had sent her. She would arrange everything on a crate, read the postcards while holding the potato. It was hokey, but helpful.

Sydney sniffed as a tear crept down her cheek and slammed her hand against the steering wheel. It just wasn’t fair. Why did everything she cared about get taken away, even a stupid dingy drafty warehouse?

Sydney reached the warehouse, slammed the car into park and ran to the door, not even noticing the lack of demolition equipment. She threw the door open and raced down the hall to their “cage” barely able to choke back her tears. Sydney pushed the gate open and stopped cold. Standing right in front of her leaning against a crate looking more gorgeous than any of her fantasies, was Vaughn.

Sydney took one look at him, burst into tears, turned and ran out of the warehouse. Vaughn stood there with his mouth agape.

Ok, that did not go as planned.

Reunion Tour: Part II: Chapter 16

Sydney did not even remember the drive home. She threw herself out of the car, hurled up the stairs to the apartment building and slammed Eric’s door open without knocking. Eric was sitting on the couch and Carmel had just come out of the kitchen with a glass of water in her hand. They both looked up startled as Sydney burst in, the door slamming against the wall shaking pictures on the wall and putting a dent in the drywall with the doorknob.

Sydney was beyond speech. She just narrowed her eyes and stared at Weiss.

Carmel looked form Weiss to Sydney and back again to Weiss.

“What did you do?”

Eric was doing his best large mouth bass deprived of oxygen impersonation. Eric did not have a clue what was going on, but Sydney looked like she was going to simultaneously burst into a torrent of tears, spontaneously combust, and vaporize anyone who had the misfortune of resting in the crosshairs of her gaze. As he seemed to be the current recipient of that gaze, he decided to keep his mouth shut.

Well, he seemed to be having trouble with the keeping it shut part, but at least he was only emitting incoherent mumbling.

Carmel narrowed her eyes at Weiss and turned back to Sydney.

“What did he do?”

“Remember what I told you when I got home from work today before I went off on my run?”

“Awful week, no shower, and Rastafarian dreadlock legs?”

“Yup, plus I hadn’t brushed my teeth and had just run 5 miles.”

Camel nodded her head.

“Ok, add sweaty and smelly.”

“Well, when I got back form my run, your BOYFRIEND”

Sydney shot a death gaze at Weiss,

“He told me the warehouse where I used to meet Vaughn”

“You mean the one you go to for the shrine”

Sydney nodded.

“Yea that’s the one.”

Eric finally found two words to rub together.

He looked accusingly at Sydney.

“You used to tell ME everything, before she came along.”

Eric looked over at Carmel, and then was overcome by a look of confusion.

“Ok, wait, I seem to be jealous of my own girlfriend.”

Sydney rolled her eyes and looked back at Carmel.

“Anyway, I was a mess, I could hardly drive I was so upset. I think my nose was actually running when I ran into the warehouse.”

Sydney paused and pressed the heel of her hands into her eyes to ward off further tears.

Carmel looked at her in concern.

“What happened? Had they already started to tear it down?”

Sydney ripped her hands away from her eyes and glared at Eric again.

“No, the warehouse was never being torn down.”

Carmel looked from Sydney to Eric in confusion.

“Then why did Eric send you there.”

“When I walked in, Vaughn was there.”

Carmel looked at Sydney from head to toe.

“Merde!”

Sydney shook her head up and down.

“Double merde”

“So what did he look like?”

Sydney got the dreaming look in her eyes that Weiss recognized as the one solely Vaughn induced. The look they both got that made him roll his eyes, until he met Carmel and got the look of his own.

“He looked like chocolate”

Carmel looked wistful.

“With chocolate sprinkles?”

“Yup, with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and a side of chocolate.”

Carmel whistled softly.

“Double merde with cheese”

They both turned and glared at Eric.

Eric jumped up from the couch and put his hands on his hips as he looked at the two glaring women.

“I don’t get it! Isn’t all that chocolate a good thing?”

Carmel sighed and put her hand on Sydney’s shoulder.

“I’ll explain it to Mr. Y chromosome here, you go clean up.”

She gave Sydney a small shove out the door and turned to look at Eric.

“Why in the world would you lie to Sydney and not tell her Michael was there?”

“He wanted it to be a surprise!”

“Well it was, but not in a good way!”

“Why?”

“Because she is scared he doesn’t want her anymore!”

Eric looked at her in shock.

“You have got to be kidding; the man worships the ground she spies on!”

“She doesn’t seem to know that. Are you sure about him?”

Eric sat back down on the couch.
“Oh man Carmel, you should have seen him; half and hour before his wedding and he was thinking about Sydney.

Flashback

Vaughn was in a small room at the front of the church, waiting for the service to begin. He was wearing his tux, but his bowtie was untied and hanging around his neck. He was sitting on the edge of a chair with his face in his hands when Eric walked in.

”Hey Mikey, still hung over from the bachelor party, man it was last week! (Not to mention Lauren phoned him at 9pm to come home). Eric suppressed that last thought. He was getting rather spy like at concealing his feelings about Lauren.

Vaughn raised his head and Weiss was shocked at the look of haggard anguish on his friend’s face. He quickly sat down across from Vaughn and put a hand on his shoulder. Vaughn put his head back in his hands.

“I keep thinking of her Eric.”

Eric knew he was not referring to Lauren.

“During the day it’s a fantasy that keeps me from going insane, and at night it’s an all consuming dream. I dream I’m at the front of the church and my bride is walking down the aisle. She reaches me. I lift her veil and it’s Sydney; glowing, gorgeous, and mine.”

He met Eric’s eyes.

“Do you know I would give everything I had, had or ever will have to make that dream be true?”

Eric sighed.

“Yea, I know. I would give a hefty chunk to that cause too.”

Vaughn gave a small sniff, the closest thing to a laugh he could muster.

“It’s not going to happen is it?”

“I’m afraid not and the whole universe feels the void she left behind my friend.”

Vaughn sighed, rubbed his face briskly and tied his tie.

“Well, there is an awesome woman in a white dress out there who loves me right?”

Eric opened and closed his mouth life a fish, but was saved from making up yet another lie about how much he liked Lauren by Senator Reed coming briskly into the room. He gave Vaughn a manly pat on the back.

“Are you ready to spend the rest of your life making my daughter happy son?”

Only Eric knew his friend well enough to notice the slight tensing in Vaughn’s shoulders at his soon- to- be –father- in- law’s comment.

“It would be my pleasure sir.”

Senator Reed looked at him critically.

“Details of appearance are very important to my daughter. You will be a part of the Reed family now and must look the part.”

He adjusted Vaughn’s tie.

The better to attach the lead for walks Eric thought to himself and glumly followed the two men to the sanctuary.

End of flashback

Eric sunk back into the couch cushions.

“See Carmel, I know you have never met him, but trust me since the day they met, he has loved her. He risked his career, his sanity, everything for her. When they finally were able to be together he glowed.”

Eric shook his head sadly.

“He had this goofy look on his face all the time, had trouble concentrating and kept doodling their names during briefs, that is when he wasn’t staring at her. Sydney was just as bad.”

Eric laughed and looked up at the ceiling, shaking his head.

“In those last few months before they finally kissed whenever they were within eyesight of each other they generated enough sexual tension that if converted to energy would have solved the fossil fuel shortage for years to come.”

He looked over at Carmel, truly perplexed.

“How can she possibly doubt him?”

Carmel grabbed his hand and sat next to him on the couch with her head on his shoulder.

“It’s not him she doubts as much as herself”

Eric leaned to the side so he could look Carmel in the eye.

“What are you talking about? Sydney is the most secure person I know. You should see her on missions, calm, cool, and deadly. She had a really hard time when she first got back, but my spy gal pal is kicking butt again.”

Carmel turned to face him and grabbed both of his hands in hers, looking at him intently.

“That’s just it Eric. You only see the spy Sydney. She works very hard to make sure that is all people see. Inside she is still a shy young woman who’s mother abandoned her and killed people, she has a tenuous relationship with her dad.”

Eric shifted uncomfortably on the couch.

“The 4 men she has loved were all lost by a death that involved her.”

Eric looked at her quizzically.

Carmel counted off on her fingers.

“1. Danny was murdered because of Sydney’s job.”

2. She killed Noah herself.”

3. Will had to go into Witness Protection after his relationship and knowledge of the person that killed her best friend

And

3. She lost Vaughn by supposedly dying herself.”

Eric hung his head and Carmel squeezed his hands.

“That really can do damage to a girl’s ego, especially if she has major trust issues, even if she is Sydney Bristow. She had to watch Vaughn married to someone else and then they shared all of, what was it? ONE KISS” before he left for a year to go find himself and come to terms with his past. All she’s gotten is postcards.”

Carmel shook her head.

“She is partially convinced that when he gets back, Michael will realize she is part of the past he wants to get rid of.”

Eric groaned.

“I am an idiot. What kind of friend am I?”

Carmel put a hand on each side of his face and lifted it to look at her. She placed a tender kiss on his forehead, nose, and lips.

“You’re the best friend ever.”

Eric leaned his forehead against hers.

“I’m glad you think so, but I somehow doubt Sydney does.

“You’re right, Sydney doesn’t think of you as a friend.”

Eric hung his head and scooted away from Carmel. Carmel scooted over to meet him.

“She thinks of you as the brother she never had.”

Eric shook his head.

“Yea right.”

“No it’s true! She told me.”

Eric crossed her arms and looked at Carmel with a look of disbelief. You are obviously thinking of Will Tippin.”

Carmel smiled.

“Nooooo, don’t get me wrong, Will is extremely important to Sydney and she misses him a lot, but there was always an underlying attraction underneath the friendship. I mean they DID sleep together once. You don’t exactly do that with your brother”

Eric bolted straight up on the couch.

“SYDNEY AND WILL DID WHAT?”

Carmel looked at him guiltily.

“Ok, guess you didn’t know that one.”

“No I didn’t and that’s just what I mean, although we need to talk about that Will thing a little more. What I mean is Sydney has told you a lot more than she has me. You don’t even have clearance! It took me months to tell you I was an agent and Sydney spills her guts.”

Carmel looked at him a little nervously.

“Well, about that. Do you remember the time Sydney won that trip to the spa for the weekend and took me with?”

Eric looked at her curiously.

“Yea it was lonely, but I loved that my main squeeze and my favorite gal pal were friends.”

“Well, when we got to the hotel, Sydney spiked my drink until I passed out, shot sodium pentothal in my arm and interrogated me for an hour to make sure I was who I said I was and not someone trying to get to you for your CIA contacts..”

Carmel got this all out in one rushed breath, afraid of Eric’s reaction.

Eric looked at her incredulously, jumped up and started pacing back and forth in front of the couch.”

“SYDNEY DID WHAT?”

“HOW DARE SHE?

Carmel grabbed his hand and pulled him back down to the couch to look at her.
“Because she loves you.”

“Right, she loves me, but thinks I’m an idiot who can’t tell the difference between a girlfriend and a double agent.”

Carmel looked at him quietly.

“Michael Vaughn couldn’t.”

Eric stared at her open mouthed as the implications dawned on him.

“She refused to let that happen to someone else she loved. She apologized profusely afterwards. I thought it was a little extreme at first to say the least, but after I heard the whole story I realized just what Sydney has gone through and how important those few people who are actually close to her are.”

“She put me in the same category as Vaughn?”

Camel put her hands on her hips.

“As a BROTHER! Do you want to be something else to Sydney?”

Carmel looked slightly nervous.

Eric looked at her, surprised.

“Do you honestly think that?”

“Well she is taller, has that dimple thing going, and can kick people’s butt.”

Eric tackled her on the couch successfully rendering her immobile beneath him.

“She’s not my type, you are.”

Carmel raised one eyebrow, a skill Eric had tried and failed to perfect. He smiled at her and now it was his turn to frame her delicate face with his hands.

“Have you ever or do you ever plan to impersonate a prostitute on an airplane, have a knock down drag out fight, then get sucked out of the plane doing a somersault backwards, narrowly missing the engine?”

Carmel started giggling sending quite enjoyable reverberations wherever their bodies touched.

“Nope, I think I would have recalled that and as my agenda is kinda full, I think I can safely say I will not be engaging in that activity in the near…or far future.”

“Then you are definitely the one for me.”

Eric closed the last few inches between their lips. He loved kissing this woman. When they finally had to come up for air, Eric pulled back slightly. Carmel grabbed his shoulders to prevent him from going any farther. Eric laughed and in one motion flipped them both over so Carmel was lying on his chest. She crossed her arms on his chest and rested her chin on them. She gave him a heart stopping smile.

“Have I ever told you how much I love that you can do that?”

Eric wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

They stared at each other with what to observers would have been the same gooey eyed look Sydney and Vaughn shared. Eric ran a finger lightly down her nose.

“Sydney really thinks of me as a brother?”

Carmel nodded, her chin rubbing against his chest.

“Cut that out woman! You have a pointy chin!”

Carmel giggled again, repeating the vibrations he enjoyed so much. Eric sobered and sighed.

“I did kind of screw up on that surprise though didn’t I?”

“I’m afraid so. I think it’s the part of the X chromosome that falls off to make the Y that makes it difficult for you to understand.”

“Hey! I resemble that remark!”

Carmel gave him a reassuring kiss.

“Don’t worry, Sydney will forgive you after she cleans up and you get Michael over here.”

Eric looked at her.

“I’m supposed to get Mike over here?”

“Of course!”

“Ok, I don’t get it.”

Carmel grinned.

“Don’t worry, I’ll translate for you.”

Eric scooted Carmel to the side so he could reach his cell. He dialed Vaughn’s number.”

“Hey Mikey”

“What Happened?”

“Well I kinda told Syd the warehouse was being torn down to get her over there and she hadn’t showered and stuff and is feeling insecure about you coming back and well… basically I’m an idiot. Luckily my girlfriend explained it all to me, sent Syd home and told me to tell you to get your butt over here in...”

Eric looked questionably at Carmel. Carmel grabbed the phone.

“One Hour”

She handed the phone back to Eric. Vaughn sounded amused as Eric got back on the phone.

“I think I’m going to like this girl of yours. Give her a kiss for me and I’ll be there in an hour.”

Eric turned off the phone and looked at Carmel.

“I’m supposed to give you this from Mike.”

Eric gave her a chaste kiss on the lips.

“This is from me.”

The kiss took on a completely different tone which occupied them for the next 20 minutes until a desperate Sydney called. Carmel answered the phone.

“Carmel, what am I going to do? He probably thinks I’m insane now and is back on the road.”

“He is on the road, but back here. He will be here in about 40 minutes. Need some fashion help?

“Absolutely!”

Carmel tried to get up, but was held tight in Weiss’ grasp. She pushed unsuccessfully against him.

“Come on, this is your chance to make it up to Sydney.”

Eric scrunched up his face.

“All right.”

He bench pressed Carmel off his chest flung her over his shoulder and carried her over to Sydney’s.

Eric busied himself with the TV and the remote as Sydney and Carmel were cloistered in the bedroom. Half an hour later, Carmel finally emerged, followed by Sydney. Sydney’s chestnut hair gleamed and fell in cascade down her back. She was wearing kaki Capri’s, a back stretchy tee that clung to her frame, and the silver zamboni charm Vaughn had sent her. She had on sandals and an ankle bracelet that somehow made her legs seem even longer.

Carmel stood with her head to the side and looked at Sydney, then turned to Eric.

“What do you think? Understated, casual sexiness?”

Eric looked over at Sydney.

“Rock on Sexy Spy Chick.”

Sydney laughed and came over to place a kiss on Weiss’ forehead.

“I’m sorry I got all girlie ballistic on you.”

“No problemo. I’m sorry I told you the warehouse burned down and sent you over there with stinky hairy legs.”

“Forgiven”

The doorbell rang and Sydney looked up and swallowed nervously. Carmel gave her a push to the door. Sydney opened the door and stood face to face with Vaughn and smiled.

“Hey”

Vaughn smiled back.

“Hey”

They stood there taking each other in.

Carmel looked from the speechless couple at the door to Eric.

“Syd has a PhD in English lit, right?

Eric nodded.

“And from what I’ve heard Michael is supposed to be rather articulate?”

Eric grinned and nodded.

“Do they ever say anything else?”

Eric laughed and pulled Carmel toward the back door.

“Eventually, they have to be all gooey eyed first and probably make out on the couch so we should get out of here.”

They both took one look at the grinning couple as they quietly let themselves out.

Back