Saddam Hussein's Trial

Luciro said:
Just I also thought we were a community more so than a gaming forum.

We are. Discuss what you like here in the off-topic area, as long as flame wars do not ensue. I was merely voicing my personal opinion that I enjoy the HH forums as a 'retreat' from politics and such, not a.. well.. 'forum' for them.

Carry on. You may go back to mass debating ;)

P.S. - IMHO - Hang 'em high. His death is long overdue.

I generally avoid political threads like the plague. But, the issue of Hussein is one I make exception for.

If I hadn't been researching the topic for a book I was considering writing, I guess it wouldn't be an issue.

Prior to 911, there was a fair amount of intelligence assessments available to the public and part of what I was reading over concerned Hussein.
The short version being that despite his personal ambitions and what he had done to the people within his country. He was not a participant or supporter of Internation Terrorism. For the very fact that he was the head of a state that gave him a fixed address to which made his activities traceable. And, dealing with international terrorism made him vulnerable in two ways. By retaliation from the US/Israel/Europe etc and by the terrorists that he might have supported.
Idealogicly he had nothing in common with them, and he had to protect his status as a Head of State, for his own survival.

Most of the open sources dried up after 9/11. Maybe I should have faxed my copies to someone in Washington, it might have saved us some trouble.

... fat chance, hey? ;)

<sucks up his gut>

I was just stating my opinion that I will not comment on the topic. As Cordy stated though, in the past, there have been three topics that can spiral into pure topic hell, and politics being one of 'em. If this thread remains civil, then I shall bow humbly before everyone and gain +50 respect for everyone here that has posted civilly :P

On topic, my opinions on Saddam are none to great. My opinions on the world in relation to the handling of Saddam et al... none to great.

Well, so much for not commenting on the topic... <shrug>

~ Jar

Back