Science Help

:rotflmao:

I see what they mean. I never learned the concept of order of magnitude, it looks pretty simple so I guess the teacher assumed.
Hah, that was mind blowing to my little head. But that also means I shouldn't forget what I already learned. Ok, I need to remind myself to review.

This question's a bit off topic and I wouldn't mind if you didn't answer it, but do you remember everything off the top of your head? :Ph34r:

I tried to get a tutor, but he had to look everything I asked him up in the book, which consumed about an hour.

Well, I don't remember everything. Most of the stuff you will encounter in high school physics, I do know off the top of my head. Physics is a hobby of mine, so the basics I sort of have down pat, just because of years of doing it, and teaching it and contemplating it on my own time (yes I had a very boring childhood).

Childhood? I'm trying to imagine a younger cousin reading a physics book. How adorable! :D

And ugh, just as we speak of remembering everything in physics since it's all related, I was supposed to use mechanical energy conservation for a problem, and somehow used momentum conservation instead :confused: (since it was a momentum test).

I'm seeing physics everywhere though! I was playing this video game, and my car crashed into another, the other car moved at the same speed my car was moving before. I was like "hehe we have the same mass!" :rolleyes:

This happened with bio too. :thinking:

Childhood? I'm trying to imagine a younger cousin reading a physics book. How adorable! :D

And ugh, just as we speak of remembering everything in physics since it's all related, I was supposed to use mechanical energy conservation for a problem, and somehow used momentum conservation instead :confused: (since it was a momentum test).

I'm seeing physics everywhere though! I was playing this video game, and my car crashed into another, the other car moved at the same speed my car was moving before. I was like "hehe we have the same mass!" :rolleyes:

Well, I wouldn't say I sat there and just read physics books.. but I did read physics articles on the web, whenever I got a chance. And it's great that you are seeing physics everywhere, becuase it is everywhere. That's why it's so easy for me to remember the basics, because you see it everyday. And I"m sure you did just fine on your exam.

Haha, I'm starting to see physics everywhere too...

And that happened with bio last year...haha I remember we had a lab on determing whether the plants were monocots or dicots and so we took a walk around campus. Me and my friend would point at random plants and say "ooo that's a monocot!" or "ooo that's a dicot!" haha...it was funny...until people hear you and start looking at you funny...

I'm seeing physics now too!!! Just Monday I was watching Prison Break and goodness, that show has SOOO much physics. He was timing the amount of time he would release the water, since he knew exactly how long it took to fill up the whole tank. Haha. I was like "physics...wonderful..." @_@ But then again, planning an escape does take creative genius and knowledge of physics...wish I had that...

Oh my goodness. BAH. If anyone can, in the next... 4 hours or so, find me a website that describes IN DETAIL a method of protein sequencing that is NOT n-terminal sequencing or the Edman degration, I would be forever grateful.

:thud:

--Mandy :angelic:

are you still looking for the site? cause I have a site but I am not sure if is on there...I haven't really looked, but the site has an online textbook that might have it. It is the textbook my class uses for ap bio, so it might have it. I would have replied sooner but I have been really busy with a tonne of work. oh and I have to pm/email you the site and pswd if you want it.

I dont' need it anymore, but if you can pm me the site and pswd, it would be awsome. :hug:

--mandy :angelic:

I need to know as much as possible about Markovnikov's Rule. Specifically why it's true. ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

you can try one of two websites:
http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Ca...06/ch6-4-1.html

http://members.aol.com/logan20/mark.html

I haven't covered this in class, and hope I don't have to... but the aol.com one, in the ninth paragraph talks about why it is true.

:lol: Sorry, I should've said I didn't need it anymore. I usually only need the answer the night that I ask the question, usually later I don't need the answer anymore. ;)

Anyways neither of those sites were great help, wikipedia did end up to be the most useful. ;)

--mandy :angelic:

I'm doing my midterm review and I come across a question that I know, but I can't seem to put my thoughts in words. Assistance anyone?

Discuss whether volume is, or can be, conserved.

I'm doing my midterm review and I come across a question that I know, but I can't seem to put my thoughts in words. Assistance anyone?

Discuss whether volume is, or can be, conserved.

Well, sometimes, but not always. If you drop a 100cm^3 block into a 300ml of water, you'll see the water level rise an amount equal to 300cm^3. On the other hand, if you mix a volume of water with a volume of salt, the net volume is < the sum of the two individual volumes, because one molecule can fit into the intermolecular spacing of the other molecules. Basically, the two substances can be packed more densely together, and volume is not conserved.

Ok, so either my teacher was high when he wrote this out, or he genuinely never wants to grow up (good attitude! :woot: lol)

#4 - Explain why the sky is blue.

:blink:

It's got something to do with scattering of the blue rays or something, right?

:Ponder: Maybe I should just write down that it's a reflection of the sea :P

I hate asking for so much help, but the exam review doesn't go with the book very well.

Q 7: Determine the ratio of atoms per molecule when compounds are formed.

Q 8: Calculate molecular mass.

Thank you :smiley:

I hate asking for so much help, but the exam review doesn't go with the book very well.

Q 7: Determine the ratio of atoms per molecule when compounds are formed.

Q 8: Calculate molecular mass.

Thank you :smiley:

Q7) Ok, this may seem just really simple, so if i"m missing something, than just jump in mandy, as it has been well over 10 years since I've done Chem. So, a molecule is like CO2, or H2O, or N2O (laughing gas). Each collection of such a configuration of atoms is considered a molecule. So when they are asking for the ratio of atoms per molecule, the are saying how many atoms for a particular molecule. OF course, they'd have to tell you the formula for it. So take CO2, for example. Well, you have 1 Carbon atom, the C. And 2 oxygen atoms, the O2. THus, the ratio of atoms per molecule is 3:1

Q8) Once you have this concept down, we can talk about molecular mass. Each atom weighs a certain amount. Carbon is 12Amu Oxygen comes in at 16Amu. So together, the molecular mass of a single CO2 molecule is 44.

Back