SD-1 Refugees #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know..so funny!!

That's really interesting. I have heard a "jumper" referred to as a hooded sweatshirt or sweat suit before though.

Ya learn something new everyday :D

A jumper is probably what you'd call a sweater or a pullover ?

What are jumper dresses?

It is fun finding out what different things are called in different places! When I was young, I read about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in stories and I always thought that was such a gross combination. I thought jelly meant well, what Americans would call Jello? Later on I realised jelly was jam.. and I still think that's a weird combo. :lol: Peanut butter and condensed milk on the other hand is very yummy. :D

Also, my American friend got a big laugh when I told him to pass me the rubber, ie. eraser. :lol: :rolleyes:

I miss Lost this week! And fingers crossed that sd-1 comes back today! I am :woot: for fic.

Peanut butter and condensed milk? :confused: Never heard of that combination, but I bet it's not bad! :P

Here's what Americans call a jumper dress - Clicky - it's sort of like overalls (which you probably call something else as well! :lol:smiley: but as a dress, and they are usually denim or corduroy, sometimes fleece or other material. You can put t-shirts or turtlenecks underneath depending on the season.

I can see where the rubber/eraser mix up could be embarassing! :lol: Too funny.

Aliasfix said:
Thanks!  I love it too - that scene was hilarious, and you know the rest of the cast and crew must have been dying when they shot that scene!  :lol:

Totally random - I'm looking around on eBay for some clothes for my kiddo, basic jumper dresses and the like, and I'm finding that in the UK, a jumper is a totally different thing - I keep seeing pictures of hooded sweatshirts or turtleneck sweaters.  I guess that's what they call a jumper over there - any UKers - clue me in! 

I always find it interesting to see what different names we have for things like that.  Oh, and I saw one auction where the seller called it a 'polar neck' rather than a turtleneck.  :P
[post="1078290"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
spymaster's right--a "jumper" is a sweater. (Spymaster, where are you from? :thinking: UK?) My best friend lived in London for a few years and when she and her husband (who is Spanish) came back to the U.S., they couldn't let go of "jumper" in favor of sweater. I think they still say it. :lol:

I know what you mean, 5x5 - my friends from South Africa still say 'queue' instead of 'line', and one refers to her daughter's bangs as 'fringe'. :smiley:

Aliasfix said:
I know what you mean, 5x5 - my friends from South Africa still say 'queue' instead of 'line', and one refers to her daughter's bangs as 'fringe'.  :smiley:
[post="1078332"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
My friends say queue, too! :lol: I actually like that one better...:whistle:

MVSF, where are you from?

Thanks for the pic Amy. Learn something new every day. ^_^

5x5, I am not from the UK but I have lived in London in the past too.

I grew up learning British English but with the years my vocab's gotten mixed up with all the American friends and pop culture I've been exposed to. Sometimes I forget which is which and just use US/UK English interchangeably. ;)

One thing I've noticed that's quite different is that Amerians like to call things after the name of the brand. e.g. calling tissue "Kleenex". That's really good for brand recognition purposes, but what about the other tissue brands?

Oh another funny mix up with US/UK English is "napkin" which I would call serviette. Napkin is what I'd call the stuff used for that time of the month. :blush:

I'm eating peanut butter and jelly right now! And trying to imagine it with jello or condensed milk instead of my grape jelly.. :blink:

eta-:eek:ldhi: sally! did your night improve at all?

spymaster said:
Thanks for the pic Amy.  Learn something new every day.  ^_^

5x5, I am not from the UK but I have lived in London in the past too. 

I grew up learning British English but with the years my vocab's gotten mixed up with all the American friends and pop culture I've been exposed to.  Sometimes I forget which is which and just use US/UK English interchangeably.  ;) 

One thing I've noticed that's quite different is that Amerians like to call things after the name of the brand.  e.g. calling tissue "Kleenex".  That's really good for brand recognition purposes, but what about the other tissue brands?

Oh another funny mix up with US/UK English is "napkin" which I would call serviette.  Napkin is what I'd call the stuff used for that time of the month.  :blush:
[post="1078345"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:eek:ldhi:

i am at work but i had to jump in to :baaa: that...:P
i have the same situation been taught british vocabulary all the time then pop culture and eventually living here cheanged my choice of words ..it is funny though how that background creeps in every now and then with a spwlling or a prnounciation...
ok carry on...:lol:

Do give that peanut butter and condensed milk a shot! :P Especially great on toast. Speaking of toast, I just read that that toast allegedly with an image of the Virgin Mary on ebay has been sold for $28,000! :blink:

There is also a site www.urbandictionary.com about urban slang that is pretty interesting to surf.

the differences are so many now and in verb tenses too that i remember one of my later grammar books .. a book from oxford..had an appendix about all those differences..seemd odd to me that oxford would give that kind of recognition to that many dofferences in grammar, verb tenses and spellings.

ETA:did i scare everyone away with my blabbery?..:lookaround:

Sillies! No one scared anyone away. I needed to have some lunch. :P

Sally--why do you think it odd that Oxford would give such attention to the differences? :thinking: Did you check out the thread over the weekend when I was trying to explain to Mandy about using the correct tenses while writing a paper? :blink: Even I got confused, and I deal with that stuff for a living!

ETA: Watch--now everyone's going to say, "Oh no! 5x5 is going to discuss grammar again!" and clear the hell out of here. :lol: I'm done. I promise.

5x5 said:
Sillies!  No one scared anyone away.  I needed to have some lunch.  :P

Sally--why do you think it odd that Oxford would give such attention to the differences? :thinking:  Did you check out the thread over the weekend when I was trying to explain to Mandy about using the correct tenses while writing a paper?  :blink: Even I got confused, and I deal with that stuff for a living!

ETA: Watch--now everyone's going to say, "Oh no!  5x5 is going to discuss grammar again!" and clear the hell out of here.  :lol:  I'm done.  I promise.
[post="1078393"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
nope! I came back for it! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back