SD-1 Refugees #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sally--why do you think it odd that Oxford would give such attention to the differences?  Did you check out the thread over the weekend when I was trying to explain to Mandy about using the correct tenses while writing a paper?  Even I got confused, and I deal with that stuff for a living!

i have had grammar books and dictionaries from both oxford and longman since kindergarden and it was always the longman-another publishing company- dictionaries that had the american pronounciation alongside the british..older oxford ones..at least the the ones i used never made a hint to that...it always seemed to me that they were more of the old school that preffered the british way all the way...so to see a newer book in my highschool years make that distinction and put an appendix on it. it seemed new but a welcome change to me :smiley:
time for lunch...:run:

Har said:
Tredder- Hugs!! How are you?

Har
[post="1078450"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm doing fine, Har! :hug: How are you? It sounds like you're planning a busy few days!

Grammar pet peeves: there, their, and they're. Need I say more? :P

I began teaching the homonym lesson in 1st grade. There, they're and their are probably the most frequent mistakes that people make! I find another is bear and bare.

Har Yup= Tredder- The next few days will be busy. Rob is on his way home from school right now. He should get here around 6pm. hugs!

spymaster said:
Have to admit I nitpick about grammar and spelling too.  Especially when people type "your" instead of "you're".  ;)
[post="1078420"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

octoberfirst said:
I think my biggest grammar pet peeve is when people type "alot" instead of "a lot".  "Your" and "you're" is right up there, though.
[post="1078451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

tredder said:
I'm doing fine, Har:hug:  How are you?  It sounds like you're planning a busy few days!

Grammar pet peeves:  there, their, and they're.  Need I say more?  :P
[post="1078455"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Har said:
I began teaching the homonym lesson in 1st grade. There, they're and their are probably the most frequent mistakes that people make! I find another is bear and bare.

Har Yup= Tredder- The next few days will be busy. Rob is on his way home from school right now. He should get here around 6pm. hugs!
[post="1078477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

AHHHH! I :love: you all! :love: :love: :love: You've all made me so very very happy. Now I know what I've always suspected: someone besides me cares! :lol:

To add to the list: "too" and "to."

5x5 said:
AHHHH!  I :love: you all!  :love: :love: :love:  You've all made me so very very happy.  Now I know what I've always suspected: someone besides me cares!   :lol:

To add to the list: "too" and "to."
[post="1078488"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:lol: Now we know how to keep 5x5 happy! :hug: 5x5 - how is Lil 5x5 feeling now? :ill:

I have a mental struggle with desert and dessert. I get it that dessert has two "s"s because you always want more dessert. But the issue is that when you desert the army, it sounds like dessert.
I must add to the list "it's" and "its". And misspelling "definitely".

I have to admit, I often misuse "its" and "it's". That's always been tricky for me. Its kind of like numbers that add up to 11. I've always been good at simple math but 8+3 and 7+4, I have to use a calculator! :banghead: :lol:

It's and its are difficult, because they break the basic rule regarding possessives. I usually have to think about which I actually want to use. Affect vs. Effect is another that many people get wrong.

5x5 - Did I ever tell you that I was once speaking with a coworker who was having a bit of a rant regarding the behaviour of another coworker, and he told me "I really resent his condensation!"? :lol: :rotfl: :lol: This is my all-time favorite malaprop!!!

tredder said:
:lol:  Now we know how to keep 5x5 happy!  :hug: 5x5 - how is Lil 5x5 feeling now?  :ill:
[post="1078495"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
It's true! :lol:

Lil 5x5 is okay. It's just a cold, so she sounds bad and needs a tissue constantly. She asked for naptime today. :shocking:

nsspense said:
I have a mental struggle with desert and dessert. I get it that dessert has two "s"s because you always want more dessert. But the issue is that when you desert the army, it sounds like dessert.
I must add to the list "it's" and "its". And misspelling "definitely".
[post="1078497"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Know how I learned to remember that one? "Dessert" has two s's like strawberry shortcake. :lol: Wow, that looks really dumb written out, but back in the fifth grade, it stuck!

octoberfirst said:
I have to admit, I often misuse "its" and "it's".  That's always been tricky for me.  Its kind of like numbers that add up to 11.  I've always been good at simple math but 8+3 and 7+4, I have to use a calculator!   :banghead:  :lol:
[post="1078505"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: Well, "its" is used the same way "your" is. And "it's" means "it is."

tredder said:
It's and its are difficult, because they break the basic rule regarding possessives.  I usually have to think about which I actually want to use.  Affect vs. Effect is another that many people get wrong.

5x5 - Did I ever tell you that I was once speaking with a coworker who was having a bit of a rant regarding the behaviour of another coworker, and he told me "I really resent his condensation!"? :lol: :rotfl: :lol:   This is my all-time favorite malaprop!!!
[post="1078517"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: :lol: :lol: Did you laugh at him? (I would have. :blush: )

Affect vs. effect was my #1 mistake. I really have to think about that one.

Ok guys, I'm out of here! I might stop by sometime tomorrow before I leave, depending on how fast packing goes :smiley: If I don't talk to you, then have a great Thanksgiving!!!

nsspense said:
Ok guys, I'm out of here! I might stop by sometime tomorrow before I leave, depending on how fast packing goes :smiley: If I don't talk to you, then have a great Thanksgiving!!!
[post="1078542"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:woot: :woot: :woot: You too, nsspense! :hug:

ETA: :eek:ldhi: mouse! Where have you been? :thinking:

Hi Mouse - Prime had a family thing come up at the last minute, so her visit to Tredderland has been postponed (but not cancelled!!!). We're working on rescheduling sometime soon. :D

ETA: Bye, Nsspense! Have a wonderful, magical, perfect time in Denver!! :hug:

Howdy, peeps!! :eek:ldhi:

How about these word pairs:

- Complement
- Compliment

- Capital
- Capitol

Or, in terms of "jargon":

- Use
- Utilize

Status
Not open for further replies.