Politics Should the government be able to ban dvd burners?

scope

Cadet
Should the government be able to ban dvd burners?

I just bought a lite-on dvd r +/- rw burner from newegg. I was reading somewhere on the net that this guy in congress wants to ban all dvd burners. I think, as a programmer, that dvd burners are going to make it easier for software bootleggers to copy software. But as a person who also does video editing I think they are the greatest things in the world. Whats everyone else on this?

Maybe this could go in Serious Discussion.

Anyway, it's kinda like banning the cd burners or not, and as far as I know they still exist. :rolleyes:
People create things like that, they are commercialized, and then people want to ban them, if doesn't make any sense. They should just stay on the market. ;)

What's a bootlegger ? :blink:

a bootlegger is someone who uses things without paying for them. so lets say you have a version of xp pro and you let your friend use it without paying for it, they are bootlegging off you.

i dont think that the government should have the ablitity to ban the production of dvd burners. I think back in the 80's (i wasnt that old so im not for sure on the year) the government tried to ban VHS recorders because people could copy movies, but hell look we still have VHS recorders dont we? i hope that if this does go in to deep discussion in the government that they at least looks at the pro's and the con's of a dvd burner before making they discussion.

scope

Thanks for answering. And could a bootlegger be someone who uses softwares that have been downloaded for free ?! (I mean when it's illegal).

Don't you know that sometimes they don't even read the law before voting for it ?! -_-
I don't think this law could possibly be voted, you're right they didn't ban the VHS recorders, so why would they do it for the DVD burners ?! (B/c they like bothering ppl ?! :thinking: )

i dont think dvd burners ought to be banned cuz sometimes ur burning dvds for home videos and those sorts. but most ppl use it for illegal copying, so it's a double edged sword.

no the way you download it is legal, they cant ban p2p downloads thats legal, its what you download which is illegal. i think if the government wants to ban dvd burners they might as well ban the whole computer. i mean say you and i have the same computer setup and you paid for all your stuff and i didnt want to by windows and office lets say, i could take ur hard drive out and ghost it so that my hard drive and your hard drive are exactly the same. i doubt that they will ever get enough backing to ban the dvd burner but still, its the point.

If the government wants to prevent illegal "sharing" as people like to call it, it should be the manufacturers who find a way to protect copyrighted DVDs from being copied--and a way that works without a smart nerd being able to crack a code or hack into the burner or whatever to bypass any security measures. (Almost sounds like an Alias mission :lol:smiley: Like others have said, there are other uses for DVD burners. People bootlegging shouldn't ban an ideally innocent product from getting into the hands of innocent people.

you dont need to be a nerd to hack a dvd. I mean yes people call me a nerd but I dont think I am and I learned how to back up my dvd's (dumb people at school like to steal them). Man I didnt think my first post would have gotten this much attention.

I'm sorry if you were offended, I didn't mean it that way! Just that less tech-savy people might not even know that it's possible. It's overwhelming how much more kids know about computers compared to five-seven years ago.

im not offended, i just said that you dont have to be a nerd to know how to rip dvds. but on the other hand you might need to be a nerd to download all the eps of season 3 of alias instead of doing ur homework or going to work for that matter.

they already are thinking about it is the thing. My Bro is an OMIS major in college (operation man info systems) and he had to take a class on bus law and his prof said that there is a thing in congress right now to ban dvd burners and to ban anything that could be used to create mp3 or play mp3's. this all because the Record companies and the hugh movie studios thing that if one person gets their movie illegally or gets their song illegally that that are losing so much money.

You're obviously wrong, because no one is going to take the time to ban DVD burners, MP3 players and all other things that people want in today's society. Such things just can't happen in today's world. Maybe it'd be possible in Thailand, but not in the USA. The idea might come to mind, but it'll never happen.

Dreila said:
You're obviously wrong, because no one is going to take the time to ban DVD burners, MP3 players and all other things that people want in today's society. Such things just can't happen in today's world. Maybe it'd be possible in Thailand, but not in the USA. The idea might come to mind, but it'll never happen.
Let's not use terms like "You're obviously wrong." It's rather rude, and since it is being talked about there's no telling who is right or wrong.

Back