State of Grace

To everyone: Thanks for the reviews!

Chapter 11

Jack

I wasn’t particularly worried about Grace and my daughter. She was still in mourning, and, if what I had read in his file was the truth, Grace wasn’t planning on getting to heavily involved with another woman anytime soon.

I was worried as a father, but not as a person.

I was a little more worried about Sloane. I did not trust that man as far as I could throw him. Ever since he started to work for APO again, about three weeks ago, I was feeling more and more uncomfortable.

I knew that Sloane would have done anything to help his daughter.

I was just wondering what devil he made the deal with to get him out of prison.

And to get him back at APO.

Mostly I was wondering what this person expected in return.

I logged onto my computer and checked my e-mail. Almost all of them were work related stuff, but there was one from Sydney.

It read:

Dad,

This Saturday is Rachel’s twenty-third birthday. I wanted to throw her a party at my house, about six. Marshall and his family, Dixon and his family, Director Chase, Tom and you are invited. I was wondering if you could bring a salad of some kind, we have everything else covered. You don’t have to bring a gift.
Sydney

P.S. This is a SURPRISE. Please don’t say anything to Rachel.

I saved the e-mail in the folder where I put all my correspondence with Sydney and sighed, rubbing my head.

On one hand, I didn’t want to go. I was never one for parties.

On the other, I knew that Sydney inviting me was a big step. I would also get to see my grandson, who, despite my best efforts, I didn’t see as much as I would like to.

I responded:

Sydney,
I would love to come. I’ll be there at six with a salad.
Dad

Sydney

I spent the day, with Carrie, decorating my house for the party. Carrie brought Mitchell, and he and Ben amused each other. Both boys laughed and screamed from the play pen, while Carrie and I hung up streamers.

“How old is he?” Carrie asked.

“Nine months.”

“How are you doing?” She stopped hanging the streamers, and looked hard at me.

I shrugged, “I don’t know. Some days are better than others. Ben is keeping me sane, I still think I need to go back to work soon. Can you recommend a nanny?”

“I think we should look together. I wanted to go back to the CIA. Analyst stuff, I was going to ask Marshall to get me a job at APO.”

I almost fell over in shock, but managed to compose myself, “APO? I thought the name of Marshall’s company was-”

She waved me off, “Give me a break, Syd. You know how bad Marshall is about lying. Those late nights helping “Bob”, I picked up the phone one time, and your voice was on the other end. I’m not an idiot.”

“Does Marshall know?”

“No, and I prefer to keep it that way for now. Back to you.”

I sighed, “Carrie, please.”

“I just have one question, then I’ll leave you alone.”

“What?”

“Is there anyone?”

I sighed again, “It’s still too early, Carrie. I…I couldn’t.”

Thomas

I arrived at Sydney’s house at about five-thirty. A short, dark-haired woman with laugh lines answered the door.

“Hello,” I said.

She just looked at me, “Who are you?”

I thought the woman was being a little rude, “Tom Grace. I’m here for the party?”

“Oh,” then she gave a such a sincere smile that I immediately knew her to be a kind person. “Come on in. I’m Carrie, Marshall’s wife.”

She ushered me in, closed and locked the door. I had a feeling she had worked in intelligence at some point.

“Sydney,” Carrie called into the back of the house. “Tom is here.”

Sydney came out. She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

I tugged slightly at the nice shirt and slacks I was wearing, “I guess I overdressed.”

Sydney laughed, and Carrie did too, “Carrie and I have been decorating all day. We’re going to change for the party.”

“Plus,” Carrie added, “When you have kids as soon as you get dressed they are guaranteed to get stuff all over you.” To my questioning look, she answered, “I have a son, Mitchell, he’s three.”

“I’ll watch the kids if you guys want to get dressed.”

They agreed so I went into to living room. Ben was asleep on a blanket in a play pen, a small boy bearing a significant resemblance to his father was playing with a plane. I walked over.

“Hi, you’re Mitchell, right?”

The boy nodded, then asked, in the lilted, unsure way small children have of talking, “Are you Benny’s daddy?”

I was startled, “No. I’m a friend of his mom. Why do you ask?”

“Benny doesn’t have a Daddy like I do.’’

I wasn’t sure how to respond to that, but Ben woke up and stretched his arms up, begging me to take him. I picked him up and swung him around. Ben giggled like a maniac.

The doorbell rang.

“Tom, can you get that?” Sydney called from her room.

Still carrying Ben I went to the door and opened it. Standing on the step was a tall, thin, blond man. He was slightly scruffy and had bags under his eyes. He looked surprised to see me.

“Are you here for the party?” I asked.

The man seemed unable to speak.

“Are you lost?” I asked the man, I shifted Ben to my hip so I could easily reach the gun I had stuck in the waistband of my pants.

“Sydney? Is she here?” The man finally asked.

“Who are you?”

“I-”

“Tom?” I heard Sydney’s voice as she came up behind the door. “Who’s here-”

Her voice trailed off and she stared at the man like she was seeing a ghost. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought this man was the dead fiancée.

Then Sydney screamed, “Will!” and threw herself into the arms of the blond man, sobbing.

The doorbell rang.

“Tom, can you get that?” Sydney called from her room.

Still carrying Ben I went to the door and opened it. Standing on the step was a tall, thin, blond man. He was slightly scruffy and had bags under his eyes. He looked surprised to see me.

“Are you here for the party?” I asked.

The man seemed unable to speak.

“Are you lost?” I asked the man, I shifted Ben to my hip so I could easily reach the gun I had stuck in the waistband of my pants.

“Sydney? Is she here?” The man finally asked.

“Who are you?”

“I-”

“Tom?” I heard Sydney’s voice as she came up behind the door. “Who’s here-”

Her voice trailed off and she stared at the man like she was seeing a ghost. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought this man was the dead fiancée.

Then Sydney screamed, “Will!” and threw herself into the arms of the blond man, sobbing.
OMG Will's back!! Awesome update :smiley: CAn't wait to see what happens next :smiley:

Will!!!!!!! Oh boy, this is going to mix things up a bit! It was great seeing Carrie and little Mitchell, too.

Poor Jack. Good thing Sydney didn't send an E-vite :P

How Tom stays so patient through everything amazes me. He's a gem and is such a gentle, reassuring presence in Syd and Ben's lives. :flowers:

Please keep the pm's coming. Nice update and so quick!

~v

Sloane better leave Syd and Ben alone! I hate that man. The party soundslike it is going to be fun. Will? How did he get there?
Thanks for the PM

To everyone: Thanks for the reviews! I'm glad you are enjoying the chapters. The next two weeks are going to be insane, so I will try to post, but if I don't, please don't be too mad with me.

Chapter 12

Sydney

I let Tom and Carrie greet everyone, and Will and I went into my room and shut the door.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Weiss came to see me. Syd…he said that Vaughn was killed.”

I could feel my eyes filling with tears, “He was killed…a year and a half ago.”

“Oh, Syd.” He wrapped me into his arms in a big hug.

He rocked me for a moment, then I pulled back, “Will, I have a son. Vaughn and I had a baby.”

“Weiss told me, the little boy at the door, right? He’s cute.”

“Thanks.”

“So what’s this party you are having?”

“It’s a birthday party for a friend from work. You should stay.”

“I don’t want to intrude. When Weiss told me, I just had to come and see you. Now that Sloane is…well…good I’m out of Witness Protection, but-” He shrugged. “It would be hard coming home, having a new life, a new job. But I want to see you again. I want to work for the CIA.”

“I’m sure that Dad can get you a job.”

There was a knock on the door, it was Carrie, “Syd, everyone’s here and it’s almost six, we should probably get ready.”

Will and I came out. I took Ben from Tom as Will walked around, saying hello to everyone.

Dad came over to me, “Did you know he was coming?”

“No, but Dad, he wants back in. Could we get him into APO?”

Dad nodded, “We need more talented analysts. The guys Langley are sending us are anti-social morons.”

I smiled. Then the door bell rang. I turned out the lights and motioned for everyone to be quiet. I walked to the door.

It was Rachel.

“Thanks for inviting me for dinner-” she began to say.

Someone flipped the lights on and everyone shouted, “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”

Rachel gasped and then laughed, hugging me, “Thank you! All of you.”

She almost started to cry.

Some one turned on the music and I pulled Rachel in to introduce her to Chase, Dixon’s family, Carrie and Mitchell. Finally we got to Will.

“Rachel, this is my good friend Will Tippin. He just moved to LA. Will, this is Rachel Gibson, we used to work together.”

The shook hands, and Rachel held Will’s hand and eyes just long enough to make me smile. Perhaps something good would happen from Will’s relocation.

We ate and laughed, Carrie and I taking a break to put Ben and Mitchell to bed.

I talked for a long time with Steven and Robin, Dixon’s kids, who I hadn’t seen in a long time. Robin was sixteen and junior in high school, she was hoping to go to UCLA for college where she wanted to become a lawyer. Steven was the staring quarterback in his middle school.

About ten people began to say good-bye, find their coats and leave. Soon only Will, Rachel, Tom, a sleeping Ben, my dad and I were left.

My dad was about to leave when someone burst through the door. Tom, Rachel and Jack all grabbed guns from belts and pointed them at the intruder. I stepped back a little, placing myself between the front door and Ben’s room.

The intruder turned out to be Sloane, his eyes were wild and it looked like he had been crying.

“Arvin?” My dad asked.

I noticed no one lowered the guns.

Sloane didn’t answer, he appeared to be sobbing. Will’s eyes were the size of dinner plates.

“Arvin?” My dad asked again, still holding the gun he moved closer. “Arvin, what happened?”

“It’s Nadia,” Sloane said, his voice broken. “Jack, she’s gone.”

To everyone: Thanks for the reviews

Chapter 13

Jack

Will and Rachel agreed to stay with Ben while Sydney, Tom and I went to the hospital with Sloane. There were about two dozen CIA agents walking around the army hospital, interviewing nurses and doctors.

Since Sloane still appeared to be in shock, we walked over to one of the agents, “What is going on?” I asked. “What happened to Nadia Santos?”

The guard didn’t say anything, so I flashed my badge, Tom flashed his, Sloane had wandered over to Nadia’s room. The guard looked at Sydney.

“Nadia's my sister.”

“I’m sorry, but you need to have clearance to hear this.”

“I have seen things you only dream about,” she hissed at him. “I have seen things that would blow your mind. I worked for the CIA for eight years, I took a leave to have my son, who’s father was killed in the field. My sister was poisoned by my aunt and shot by her father. And right now, the only thing that stands between me and finding her is you.”

The man sighed, then beckoned the three of us over to a corner, “Arvin Sloane comes in to visit his daughter everyday at five. She has a doctor check-up at seven. Sloane left at six, somewhere between six and seven she disappeared. That’s all we know.”

“You don’t know who took her? Any guesses?” I asked.

The man shrugged, “At this point we don’t have any leads. We aren’t even sure it is a kidnapping.”

“What the hell do you think happened?” Sydney snapped at him. “She got up and walked away? She was in a god-damned coma!”

“Sydney,” I pulled her away from the guard. “That isn’t helping.”

“He’s an idiot, Dad!”

“Be that as it may, he might be an ally.”

Sydney pulled me father away from everyone and whispered, “Could you contact Mom? See if she knows anything.”

I was surprised that Sydney had guessed I was still in contact with Irina, “I will.”

“I want to come back to APO ASAP. Carrie and I were talking about getting a nanny for Mitchell and Ben. I’ll speed that up, can I come in by the end of the week?”

“I’ll do my best,” I promised.

Thomas

Within a week after the party Marshall’s wife, Carrie, Sydney’s friend, Will, and Sydney had been given analyst positions at APO.

We were working around the clock, Carrie and Sydney not as much, to find Nadia. We searched through piles of information and locations. The most promising, Rachel, Dixon and I took a team to, but none of these panned out.

Sydney was like a crazy woman. She was torn between spending time with Ben and looking for her sister. Jack had taken to telling her to go home at seven every night, not wanting her to work herself ragged.

So far Rachel, Dixon and I had been to Bombay, Paris, Hong Kong, Seoul, and Buenos Aires, but none of these locations proved fruitful.

It was as if Nadia Santos had just disappeared off the face of the earth.

I was sitting at my desk, one late night, about a month after Nadia had been taken, when Sydney’s phone, on her desk, rang. She had gone home for the night, and I, hoping it was some lead on Nadia, picked it up.

“Hello.” I said.

There was a pause, then a voice on the other end asked, “Is Sydney there?” The voice was young, male and British.

“No, is there anything I can help you with?”

“Is this Vaughn?”

“No.” I wondered if this young man knew that Vaughn had been killed.

The man paused again, then said, “Write down this number,” he read it to me, “and give it to Sydney. Tell her it’s from Sark, I know who took her sister and I can help.”

I wrote down the message as the man hung up.

I wondered who Sark was. An old friend, an old partner?

I pondered this over as I lay down on a cot, set up in the back of the office and finally fell asleep.

The next morning I gave the note to Sydney.

“Are you sure?” she asked. “Sark left this message?”

“That’s who he said he was. Who is this Sark?”

“Julian Sark. Brilliant, young, handsome, evil and he knows it too. We’ve had a few run-ins.”

I raised an eyebrow, and, to my surprise, Sydney blushed, “Not that kind.”

first!! yippee!!!!
“Julian Sark. Brilliant, young, handsome, evil and he knows it too. We’ve had a few run-ins.”

I raised an eyebrow, and, to my surprise, Sydney blushed, “Not that kind.”
that is freakin hillarious!!! omg i cant stop laughing!!! and someone who actually didnt know who sark is...thats a first in awhile!!

Back