Politics Stem Cell Research

i think we should forge ahead. if there is possible a cure out there... why deprive all the people in the world (myself included :angry:smiley: of that? it's one of my few hopes for the future.

when lori andrews spoke at my school, she said that it would be way too expensive in the end if they did get the operation ready. well i say, don't things become less expensive over time? maybe, if you wait a while, one day there will be a way to cure those diseases in a cheaper way.

i know there r many diseases but come on find a different way 2 research

well, if you have an idea, please, by all means, speak up. :hmm: what if there ISN'T another way? and it isn't inhumane, because the little cell is not any way near to becoming a human. besides, much of the cell lines taken in fertility clinics that are unusable b/c they are "not humane" are discarded any way later on. isn't THAT killing the "human?" :rolleyes: what is better, taking an uneeded cell line to make LIFE-SAVING research, or just THROWING IT AWAY? think about it.

Joziah said:
I Don't Agree w/ Stem Cell research becasue it's inhumane
ur takin a fetus of a unborn baby and using it 2 do research
i know there r many diseases but come on find a different way 2 research

o yeah i also don't agree w/ abortion!!!
[post="1036555"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Well really, I STILL don't understand how it's "inhumane" what? oh no, it has the potential to get implanted in a womb and grow for 9 month. MOST of that won't even BECOME a baby! The reason why they make so much for invetro fertilization is because there is no way using only 1 sperm and 1 egg would work! It takes a large amount of eggs and sperms to hopefully allow a successful prengnance and the success rate isn't even 100 percent! Now if the woman does become pregnant than the extra fertilized eggs are frozen. Now when they freeze it, it's either the 3 day after fertilization or the 6th day. On the third day, the embryo's 6-8 cells. It's not a fetus! does

8cell.gif

look like a fetus to you?!!! NO! and "2 do research" There are no ways to develop cures unless you find a lot of stem cells. Stem cells only appears in only a few places in an adult body; Your teeth and your bone marrow. First of all, i'm sure everyone would like to keep their teeth, and second of all... well there are already not enough bone marrow doners to treat cancer patients, what makes you think people will donate bone marrow (which its extraction is EXTREMELY painful) "2 do research"? There might be umbilical chord stem cells but it's not always enough, and not every mother's gonna go, "Oh hey, have my baby's umbilical chord and do research on it!" :rolleyes:

I find it more unethical to keep the embryos frozen. What's gonna happen to all of those stem cells as they accumlate? thrown away? isn't that just a TAD unethical also? :rolleyes: It's not like they would really be needed. The world's not steril. :lol:

-mandy :angelic:

Natalia said:
I wouldn't call them selfless. That's not being selfless, that's ignorant or uninformed.

But you are right. There are some people who would rather die. It's a bit like those religious people (I can't remember who) who die because they refuse to have a blood transfusion.

But I think that only when it is you who is in a particular situation that you can really be able to understand whether you can live up to the opinions you have declared you have. For any situation.
[post="1031547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I so don't like it when people call me ignorant or uninformed...because I am neither. I am informed, I am informed enough to know that babies (or fetuses, if you want to tone down the fact that you are killing off a human being to do this) aren't the only source of stem cells. They are just the easiest way to get them-and what is easiest, isn't always best. If I thought that stem cells from human fetus tissue was the only way to cure a disease I had, I wouldn't automatically throw up my hands and say goodbye to my beliefs, not to say though I wouldn't consider it. BUT, I know because I'm neither ignorant or uninformed that we have other ways to go about this so there is no reason to start down this slippery slope.

But havnt you thought that if we did find a cure to just one disease say umm cancer? that you'd be saving so many more lives than if you were "technically" killing those cells?

VaughnsAHottie said:
But havnt you thought that if we did find a cure to just one disease say umm cancer? that you'd be saving so many more lives than if you were "technically" killing those cells?
[post="1038779"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

You are missing my point. I'm not against stem cell research, I'm against embryonic stem cell research. There is a HUGE difference there.

Joziah said:
U People r all Sick and Twisted!!!!
Thats all i'm gonna say
[post="1037433"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Please state constructive reasons for your opinion rather than attacking other people.

I'm Catholic, so I can understand from a religious viewpoint why people can be against stem cell research. But what's more inhumane--throwing away thousands of stem cells, or using them to possibly find a cure for millions of people?

I hate to bring the issue of war into this (I really do!), but I wanna make a comparison with some supporters of the war in Iraq who are against stem cell research. Thousands of innocent people are dying for "freedom," freedom that isn't truly freedom, a fight that kills more people everyday rather than less, spreads hatred of different cultures. With stem cell research, millions of people can possibly be saved using cells that most likely won't grow into full life. How is that inhumane?

Jeanie (or anyone else who knows), what are the alternatives to embryonic stem cell rersearch?

Princess Jeanie said:
You are missing my point. I'm not against stem cell research, I'm against embryonic stem cell research.  There is a HUGE difference there.
[post="1038826"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
There is no easy alternative to embryonic stem cells. The only source of stem cell that can truely be harvested is bone marrow. You can find stem cells in teeth and umblilical cord but that's it! there's no other sources of stem cells that can be harvested and used to find a cure! The embryos are useless! they will not be implanted so they can either be thrown away or used to help those of us who are actually living!
--Mandy :angelic:

mystery_chick said:
There are no ways to develop cures unless you find a lot of stem cells. Stem cells only appears in only a few places in an adult body; Your teeth and your bone marrow. First of all, i'm sure everyone would like to keep their teeth, and second of all... well there are already not enough bone marrow doners to treat cancer patients, what makes you think people will donate bone marrow (which its extraction is EXTREMELY painful) "2 do research"? There might be umbilical chord stem cells but it's not always enough, and not every mother's gonna go, "Oh hey, have my baby's umbilical chord and do research on it!" :rolleyes:

I find it more unethical to keep the embryos frozen. What's gonna happen to all of those stem cells as they accumlate? thrown away? isn't that just a TAD unethical also? :rolleyes: It's not like they would really be needed. The world's not steril. :lol:

-mandy :angelic:
[post="1036970"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I'm still sort of undecided on this issue, but I found this interesting.

Body fat may hold bonanza: Stem cells

By Marie McCullough

Inquirer Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH - Every year, Americans have 150,000 gallons of fat liposuctioned out of their bodies, no doubt unaware that each pint could yield up to 200 million stem cells.

But the scientists behind that calculation are acutely aware. They enjoy pointing out that the most dispensable, detested human flesh turns out to be loaded with the elusive cells that are key to the dream of regenerating and repairing body parts.

That dream is fast taking shape, judging from a meeting here earlier this month of IFATS, the fledgling International Fat Applied Technology Society.

It was only three years ago that a team from UCLA and the University of Pittsburgh isolated stem cells from fat, technically called adipose tissue. Since that breakthrough, a flurry of experiments, mostly in animals, have revealed these cells to be surprisingly adaptable. Given the proper cues, the cells can act like - if not actually become - bone, cartilage, nerve, heart, or blood-vessel cells.

Already, fat stem cells are showing promise in reconnecting severed nerves, strengthening damaged hearts, healing inflamed intestinal holes, and cosmetically enhancing breasts.

This is tantalizing evidence that "adult" stem cells - the type found in specialized tissue such as fat and bone marrow - may have greater powers of transformation than scientists thought. Maybe not as wondrous as embryonic stem cells, which can generate every tissue and organ in the body. But then, sacrificing flab to create therapies is a lot less controversial than sacrificing embryos.

"We have people volunteering to donate every day," said Kacey Marra, director of Pitt's plastic-surgery research laboratory as she clicked to a PowerPoint slide of one such donation - a yellow glob of liposuctioned blubber.

A genetic match

If the potential pans out, fat would be an ideal source for regenerative medicines for several reasons, researchers say.

A personal, or "autologous," fat supply could be readily obtained from the patient, even in an emergency. The resulting stem-cell therapy would be a genetic match, so it would not be rejected by the patient's body. And virtually everyone has fat to spare.

"Stem cells have been isolated from brain tissue, but how much brain would you be willing to give up?" quipped Patricia Zuk, research director of UCLA's Regenerative Bioengineering and Repair Laboratory. "No human tissue is as dispensable as adipose tissue. That alone makes it a very advantageous source."

Bone marrow - until now the most accessible source of adult stem cells for autologous use - must be withdrawn from the hip using a large needle. A cubic centimeter of bone marrow has about 500 stem cells, compared with 7,000 of the precious precursor cells in the same amount of fat, research shows. (Obese people do not have proportionately more fat stem cells, apparently because fatty-acid molecules dilute their adipose tissue.)

Scientists long suspected fat stem cells existed, but the team from UCLA and Pitt, led by Zuk, was the first to publish convincing evidence.

The work involved processing adipose tissue, which contains connective tissue, nerves, blood and collagen, as well as fat cells. Next, the stem cells were identified by distinctive cell-surface markers. Then, since true stem cells are able to reproduce indefinitely and "differentiate" into specialized cell types, the researchers used growth chemicals to prompt the fat stem cells in lab dishes to form colonies of cartilage, heart and bone cells.

Even so, Zuk was asked at the IFATS conference how she could be sure that fat stem cells were real - not just, say, bone-marrow stem cells that have strayed into fat. "We feel relatively confident that they are a stem-cell population," she said. "I think the problem is the definition of stem cells."

Some purists are not convinced that adult stem cells meet the criteria of being self-renewing and self-converting. Maybe these mature stem cells are simply merging or "fusing" with unrelated cells, thus appearing to change form and function. "Fusion," said Marra of Pitt's plastic-surgery research lab, "is a hot debate right now."

Other experts say that what matters most is that fat stem cells appear to have therapeutic powers, even if the precise nature of those powers isn't clear.

"It would be a home run if fat stem cells can make new heart cells," said John Fraser, who is researching such cardiovascular applications for MacroPore Biosurgery in San Diego. "But even if the stem cells are just stopping heart cells from dying, that's therapeutic."

Advancing rapidly

In any case, fat stem-cell research - a field in which plastic surgeons are as numerous as molecular biologists - is advancing quickly. Among the studies described at the conference:

At the University of Virginia, damaged hearts in mice showed improved pumping strength a month after being injected with human-fat stem cells; autopsies showed the stem cells had become engrafted in their hearts. In another experiment, fat stem cells injected into the stroke-damaged brains of rodents migrated to the injured area, although no reparative effect was shown.

At Tulane University, fat stem cells in a lab dish developed cardiac-cell characteristics, including rhythmic beating, after seven days of chemical treatment. Also, pigs with damaged hearts showed measurable cardiac improvement after treatment with stem cells from either fat or bone marrow, while the damaged hearts of untreated pigs in a comparison group got worse.

In Nice, France, government researchers have used fat stem cells to repair damaged skeletal muscles in mice.

At Pitt, researchers have been trying to repair severed sciatic nerves in rats. The limping rats' hind legs showed hints of improvement after human-fat stem cells, encased in a tiny biodegradable tube, were implanted at the severed spot in the nerve.

Dramatic results

Only one tiny study, involving five Crohn's disease patients, has been completed so far in humans, but the results were so encouraging that a new trial with 50 patients is under way, researchers at the conference said.

Garcia-Olmo, a surgeon at the University of Madrid, Spain, said he had injected fat stem cells into rectal tissue to stimulate healing of surgically repaired holes in the patients' intestinal walls. These holes, called fistulas, are a recurring complication of Crohn's, an inflammatory bowel disease. Repeated surgery to close the holes can become ineffective.

In the first study, within eight weeks of stem-cell treatment, 75 percent of the fistulas had completely healed.

"We do not know whether the stem cells differentiate into connective or muscle or scar tissue, or secrete a growth factor" that repairs inflamed cells, Garcia-Olmo told the conference.

A small trial also is under way in Tokyo to see whether fat stem cells could cosmetically enhance breasts.

J. Peter Rubin, a Pitt plastic surgeon and IFATS president, hopes the treatment can be used to rebuild breasts after cancer surgery, but questions remain, including how to control shape and size.

Fat stem cells remain mostly mysterious. What pudgy spot is the best source? Do the cells deteriorate with age? Are they the cellular version of career-changers, completely switching occupations, or more like temp workers or disaster-relief helpers?

But MacroPore Biosurgery is not waiting for definitive answers. In August, the company, led by pioneers in fat stem-cell research, obtained the crucial first patent covering the technology.

If street buzz is any predictor, their prospects are supersize: The rich and the beautiful are already bringing their liposuctioned fat to the entrepreneurs for frozen storage, banking on its future therapeutic value.

"It's sort of on the QT. But we've got a lot of patients," said MacroPore president Marc Hedrick. "Some are quite famous."

There is no easy alternative to embryonic stem cells. The only source of stem cell that can truely be harvested is bone marrow. You can find stem cells in teeth and umblilical cord but that's it! there's no other sources of stem cells that can be harvested and used to find a cure! The embryos are useless! they will not be implanted so they can either be thrown away or used to help those of us who are actually living!
yea exactly, so lets stop finding things wrong with using embryos and use them to help cure diseases.

KateJones47 said:
I'm still sort of undecided on this issue, but I found this interesting.

Body fat may hold bonanza: Stem cells

By Marie McCullough

Inquirer Staff Writer
PITTSBURGH - Every year, Americans have 150,000 gallons of fat liposuctioned out of their bodies, no doubt unaware that each pint could yield up to 200 million stem cells.

But the scientists behind that calculation are acutely aware. They enjoy pointing out that the most dispensable, detested human flesh turns out to be loaded with the elusive cells that are key to the dream of regenerating and repairing body parts.

That dream is fast taking shape, judging from a meeting here earlier this month of IFATS, the fledgling International Fat Applied Technology Society.

It was only three years ago that a team from UCLA and the University of Pittsburgh isolated stem cells from fat, technically called adipose tissue. Since that breakthrough, a flurry of experiments, mostly in animals, have revealed these cells to be surprisingly adaptable. Given the proper cues, the cells can act like - if not actually become - bone, cartilage, nerve, heart, or blood-vessel cells.

Already, fat stem cells are showing promise in reconnecting severed nerves, strengthening damaged hearts, healing inflamed intestinal holes, and cosmetically enhancing breasts.

This is tantalizing evidence that "adult" stem cells - the type found in specialized tissue such as fat and bone marrow - may have greater powers of transformation than scientists thought. Maybe not as wondrous as embryonic stem cells, which can generate every tissue and organ in the body. But then, sacrificing flab to create therapies is a lot less controversial than sacrificing embryos.

"We have people volunteering to donate every day," said Kacey Marra, director of Pitt's plastic-surgery research laboratory as she clicked to a PowerPoint slide of one such donation - a yellow glob of liposuctioned blubber.

A genetic match

If the potential pans out, fat would be an ideal source for regenerative medicines for several reasons, researchers say.

A personal, or "autologous," fat supply could be readily obtained from the patient, even in an emergency. The resulting stem-cell therapy would be a genetic match, so it would not be rejected by the patient's body. And virtually everyone has fat to spare.

"Stem cells have been isolated from brain tissue, but how much brain would you be willing to give up?" quipped Patricia Zuk, research director of UCLA's Regenerative Bioengineering and Repair Laboratory. "No human tissue is as dispensable as adipose tissue. That alone makes it a very advantageous source."

Bone marrow - until now the most accessible source of adult stem cells for autologous use - must be withdrawn from the hip using a large needle. A cubic centimeter of bone marrow has about 500 stem cells, compared with 7,000 of the precious precursor cells in the same amount of fat, research shows. (Obese people do not have proportionately more fat stem cells, apparently because fatty-acid molecules dilute their adipose tissue.)

Scientists long suspected fat stem cells existed, but the team from UCLA and Pitt, led by Zuk, was the first to publish convincing evidence.

The work involved processing adipose tissue, which contains connective tissue, nerves, blood and collagen, as well as fat cells. Next, the stem cells were identified by distinctive cell-surface markers. Then, since true stem cells are able to reproduce indefinitely and "differentiate" into specialized cell types, the researchers used growth chemicals to prompt the fat stem cells in lab dishes to form colonies of cartilage, heart and bone cells.

Even so, Zuk was asked at the IFATS conference how she could be sure that fat stem cells were real - not just, say, bone-marrow stem cells that have strayed into fat. "We feel relatively confident that they are a stem-cell population," she said. "I think the problem is the definition of stem cells."

Some purists are not convinced that adult stem cells meet the criteria of being self-renewing and self-converting. Maybe these mature stem cells are simply merging or "fusing" with unrelated cells, thus appearing to change form and function. "Fusion," said Marra of Pitt's plastic-surgery research lab, "is a hot debate right now."

Other experts say that what matters most is that fat stem cells appear to have therapeutic powers, even if the precise nature of those powers isn't clear.

"It would be a home run if fat stem cells can make new heart cells," said John Fraser, who is researching such cardiovascular applications for MacroPore Biosurgery in San Diego. "But even if the stem cells are just stopping heart cells from dying, that's therapeutic."

Advancing rapidly

In any case, fat stem-cell research - a field in which plastic surgeons are as numerous as molecular biologists - is advancing quickly. Among the studies described at the conference:

At the University of Virginia, damaged hearts in mice showed improved pumping strength a month after being injected with human-fat stem cells; autopsies showed the stem cells had become engrafted in their hearts. In another experiment, fat stem cells injected into the stroke-damaged brains of rodents migrated to the injured area, although no reparative effect was shown.

At Tulane University, fat stem cells in a lab dish developed cardiac-cell characteristics, including rhythmic beating, after seven days of chemical treatment. Also, pigs with damaged hearts showed measurable cardiac improvement after treatment with stem cells from either fat or bone marrow, while the damaged hearts of untreated pigs in a comparison group got worse.

In Nice, France, government researchers have used fat stem cells to repair damaged skeletal muscles in mice.

At Pitt, researchers have been trying to repair severed sciatic nerves in rats. The limping rats' hind legs showed hints of improvement after human-fat stem cells, encased in a tiny biodegradable tube, were implanted at the severed spot in the nerve.

Dramatic results

Only one tiny study, involving five Crohn's disease patients, has been completed so far in humans, but the results were so encouraging that a new trial with 50 patients is under way, researchers at the conference said.

Garcia-Olmo, a surgeon at the University of Madrid, Spain, said he had injected fat stem cells into rectal tissue to stimulate healing of surgically repaired holes in the patients' intestinal walls. These holes, called fistulas, are a recurring complication of Crohn's, an inflammatory bowel disease. Repeated surgery to close the holes can become ineffective.

In the first study, within eight weeks of stem-cell treatment, 75 percent of the fistulas had completely healed.

"We do not know whether the stem cells differentiate into connective or muscle or scar tissue, or secrete a growth factor" that repairs inflamed cells, Garcia-Olmo told the conference.

A small trial also is under way in Tokyo to see whether fat stem cells could cosmetically enhance breasts.

J. Peter Rubin, a Pitt plastic surgeon and IFATS president, hopes the treatment can be used to rebuild breasts after cancer surgery, but questions remain, including how to control shape and size.

Fat stem cells remain mostly mysterious. What pudgy spot is the best source? Do the cells deteriorate with age? Are they the cellular version of career-changers, completely switching occupations, or more like temp workers or disaster-relief helpers?

But MacroPore Biosurgery is not waiting for definitive answers. In August, the company, led by pioneers in fat stem-cell research, obtained the crucial first patent covering the technology.

If street buzz is any predictor, their prospects are supersize: The rich and the beautiful are already bringing their liposuctioned fat to the entrepreneurs for frozen storage, banking on its future therapeutic value.

"It's sort of on the QT. But we've got a lot of patients," said MacroPore president Marc Hedrick. "Some are quite famous."
[post="1039253"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Cool. that's actually really interesting! Imagine that, we can heal ourselves with our own fat. ^_^
--Mandy :angelic:

I'm a little late on this one but....

I'm for stem cell research. I don't see who a stem cell being used is killing a baby as the embryo cannot survive out of the womb and more than likely will never be inserted into a womb. Maybe this is ignorant of me, but that's what I believe. And I'd rather know that somewhere in the future (I don't think this will be a miracle to happen over night) we will be able to cure many of the diseases that are uncurable and be able to find a way to help the paralyzed regain movement.

And someone said earlier they don't believe we're ready to open this can of worms yet. But when will we ever and how many more people will have to suffer for it?

I'm also late, but I had to do a project like this too... :blink: Anywayz, I'm pro-stem-cell-research, because my dad has MS (Multiple Sclerosis), and there is no cure right now, and stem cell research would help find a cure for MS. Also, the fetus, if it is not used, will just be wasted, so why not use it for something good?

I'm pro-choice for abortion. :smiley:

Princess Jeanie said:
This is what I'm talking about when I say "a can of worms".  Okay, right now that sounds logical...either way the baby is killed (I'm pro-life, can ya tell?).  BUT, what now stops women from getting pregnant because someone is willing to pay for stem cells from aborted baby?  Nothing.  Think about, some people, out of greed or desperation, will do anything for money.  This has the possibility to spiral out of control.
[post="1028959"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Thank-you so much. We need you on the abortion message board.

Okay, I wrote a 30 page group paper on stem cell research. The paper discussed the benefits of stem cell research and the ethical concerns regarding using embryonic stem cells.

We found very little ethical reasons why adult stem cell research should not be furthered.

As for embryonic stem cells... It is not just about stem cells from aborted fetuses. It is also possible to take a sperm and an egg in a petri dish, wait a few days for a blastocyst (hollowed sphere of tissue) to form. Inside these blastocysts are stem cells. In order to reach these stem cells, the blastocyst must be destroyed.

There is also the option of using umbilical cord blood. There is plenty after every delivery, and I'm not too sure of the details (I didn't write this section of the paper), but it can be used in about the same way as stem cells.

I, personally, am completely for stem cell research, both adult and embryonic. Then again, I am also not against xenotransplantation (the transplantation of animal organs into humans).

Ya we went to a presentation on Genetics, and the guy told us about how liposuction (America's favorite pasttime!!) and the fat can be used to get stem cells. And they throw away soooo much of it a year, and they could be curing diseases with that ;)

I'm pro adult stem cells, but not so sure about embryonic stem cells. The guy also said embryonic cells, when implanted in humans, can cause cancer. Can anyone verify this?

UncoveringAlias said:
Ya we went to a presentation on Genetics, and the guy told us about how liposuction (America's favorite pasttime!!) and the fat can be used to get stem cells. And they throw away soooo much of it a year, and they could be curing diseases with that ;)

I'm pro adult stem cells, but not so sure about embryonic stem cells. The guy also said embryonic cells, when implanted in humans, can cause cancer. Can anyone verify this?
[post="1138380"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Nothing I read said that embryonic stem cells can cause cancer. In fact, embryonic stem cells can CURE cancer.

Maybe he meant that embryonic stem cells from non-humans can cause cancer if implanted into humans. There is the idea of transplanting non-human stem cells into humans, but there are obviously many more risks involved.

Back